• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

JCG

Not really getting all the "saving anime" praise though.

It's only a bit of hyperbole. I was very entertained, but I wouldn't say that myself.

Just like how this isn't even too similar to Revolutionary Girl Utena outside of the very basics of the setup. Not enough symbolism or depth (yet) for a closer comparison.

Gazoinks

It's only a bit of hyperbole. I was very entertained, but I wouldn't say that myself.

Just like how this isn't even too similar to Revolutionary Girl Utena outside of the very basics of the setup. Not enough symbolism or depth (yet) for a closer comparison.

The talking sailor suit is a metaphor for the French Revolution.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

I do not think Mako has the wherewithal to be the Rose Bride.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
BASED IMAISHI-SAMAAAAAAAA

It's been so long since inferno cop P&S TTGL, I had forgotten how enjoyable imaishi's brazen, bombastic, stupidly entertaining style could be when it's done right, and it was done right here.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I haven't watched much anime recently so this was a nice return of the amount of fun I wanted.
I've got some ideas for what's going on:
Ryuko's suit was the original and all the other uniforms were created from its threads (which is why it's so skimpy and powerful)
Dad originally was creating the Uniforms, but was killed for it. I don't get why the half scissors remained though.

What I'm hoping for is that the uniform changes over time, but it might just get Megaman powerups or stronger. We'll see!

Moonlight

Banned
Right, hoping to keep up with here a little more than seasons past. Caught Kill la Kill today, and figured I'd share my thoughts!

Kill la Kill Episode 1

I would describe this introduction much as I would Ryuuko: confident, loud, aggressive, and rough around the edges. Kill la Kill announces its' presence to the sound of its' own fanfare. It's flashy, it's bold, and it's really happy to be here.

So, I'll go ahead and say straight up that I liked this quite a bit. Maybe not love it as I was hoping to, maybe a little too frenetic for its' own good, but there is, I think, something captivating about that unrestrained energy and liveliness of Kill la Kill. Imaishi is, I feel, very good at leaving a very striking (for good or for ill) impression very, very quickly, and it's not any less true for me here than it has been with works such as Panty & Stocking and Dead Leaves. While not quite as unfiltered through those lenses as those two works might have been, it's no less loud about its' intentions.

I really adore the art direction of the show. It's charming, imaginative and relentlessly stylish. The onslaught of red letters and names threatens to be overwhelming, but married to strongly evocative designs and profiles, it makes putting names to faces much simpler. Quality of animation itself is largely quite spectacular, bar a few somewhat jarring segues into CG animation. I don't know if it's quite so obvious or I've simply become much more sensitive to it, but it almost never failed to pull me out of the episode where it did happen (backgrounds aside). For all the raw, hyper-kinetic sensibilities and flow of Kill la Kill, I couldn't help but feel some of that momentum wound up being blunted.

It's not much more than a quibble, I fully admit, but where there are highs, the lows begin to stand out all the more.

On that note, while I didn't really find myself particularly amused by the glib remarks and loud, blustery humour, I really dug most of the visual gags they threw in. Little moments like Ryuuko placing Mako down stiff as a board or the horde of deep-fried guards bursting out of the tub of oil actually got me pretty good.

Narrative is a bit of a mess. While I was engaged in what was happening, what was actually happening felt almost irrelevant. The premise is very video-gamey, which I suppose is the point, but I feel like it ultimately winds up robbing the show of any real sense of urgency or danger. All that said, I really do like Ryuuko. Not only as an expression of the show itself, but as a personality. She's headstrong and stubborn, but not stupid enough to know when a battle's been lost. She doesn't have anything to prove or justify to anyone, and despite her battle uniform and all the hub-bub around it, she never really feels like a sensual, sexual character or necessarily to be seen or addressed as such.

While we're on the topic of Ryuuko's digs, I was unimpressed. Not repulsed, mind (though would understand if that were the case), but somewhat disappointed. I don't... hate it, I don't think. But I don't like it. And while I'm not necessarily put off by it - if nothing else, it has about as little to hide as the show itself does - I think Ryuuko's original outfit was far, far better, in both visual appeal and conveying more about her identity. While I don't feel the outfit compromises Ryuuko herself (who I strongly appreciate as a character), I feel like it does wind up undermining the gravity of her feats and presence, I feel.

All in all, I liked it. Not sure I'd say anime is saved now, but this is very, very far from the knife. Regardless, very excited to see where this ride takes me.

Soriku

These competing impressions left me unable to identify with any of the characters. It's especially hard in a series with such an over-the-top setting, where you really need a grounded and identifiable character to relate to, but Ryuuko is a total cipher outside of her one-dimensional motivation at this point in the narrative. Either that or she's just bland. Satsuki is easily the most interesting character, but she's even more of a mystery than Ryuuko. Every other character is just a walking trope, without anything interesting to say about them.

I also must say that I felt the dialogue was atrocious, like, some of the worst I've seen in anime. Gurren Lagann, at least, even had memorable lines like "Believe in me who believes in you" from the very first episode. The dialogue in this is split between utter nonsense and pointless, rapid-fire exposition. Did we really need a scene explaining that three-star uniforms are more powerful than two-star, which are more powerful than one-star, etc. I think everyone already grasped the video-game like ranking system by that point.

Satsuki is even more bland than Ryuko at this point. Ryuko actually has personality to her, and Satsuki is pretty tropey too. Silent badass woman with some man-servants (and one lady-servant). As of right now there's not much to her.

As for the dialogue, this episode was so ridiculous that I don't know if expecting "good" dialogue to come out of it is really what you should be doing (and I'm not really sure what good dialogue would be like in this type of episode). As the plot moves on it'll probably get better.

Anyway this was a pretty good first episode. I liked the animation and over-the-topness, and the character designs are interesting. The skimp suit doesn't really bother me. Next week is another fight with a school captain and I think it'll stay as a "monster of the week" type show for a while but I hope by the second half the show throws us in for a loop. The murder plot is simple so far but there could be a lot more to it.

cntr

Banned
I'd expect more plot to be fleshed out in future episodes. I mean, c'mon, it's not like Gurren Lagann revealed the full extent of its plot in the first episode.

sonicmj1

Episode 1

That was pretty great. Absolutely loaded with manic energy and style, and it didn't let up until the end credits rolled. I love all the goofy visual gags and exaggeration. I love the huge floating red letters announcing character names and places. If I wasn't in before, I was completely on-board after that pan from the top of the school down to our protagonist.

It's not without its weaknesses. As much as I sometimes enjoy people screaming obvious elements of their battle, they sometimes erred a little too far on that side, particularly when explaining the uniforms. The gap between one-star and three-star was already more than apparent without requiring a little speech on the subject. And as fun as the relentless pace was, I do think it hurt the dramatic beat following Ryuuko's escape.

In its over-the-top violence and fast-paced plot movement, this reminded me more of Dead Leaves than any other Imaishi work I'd seen, but Mako and Ryuuko are already more human than anyone in that movie was. The style has me hooked, and the show has been swimming through my head all day. I suspect the pace will slow down to something more reasonable in the next episodes, and if Kill la Kill is able to build its motley crew of high school punks into something more fleshed out, it'll really be something special.

Hrothgar

Just finished episode one. That fucking ruled.

So okay I'm really, really sensitive to fanservice for fanservice's sake for the most part but I am totally down with the Senkotsu design now that I've seen it in the context of the show. Soooo much of the show is taking the piss out of exploitation tropes and it's very clearly very intentional.

During the fight with Fukuroda once she's revealed, Ryuko is embarrassed by the Senkotsu. Instead of focusing on the fight Fukuroda starts creeping on Ryuko because of Senkotsu, which makes her upset. When he tries to attack her, it doesn't matter that like 10% of her body is covered, she's completely protected. On the other hand the Goku uniforms are like full body suits from neck to ankle. It's a total send up of the absurdity of the awful armor women wear in dozens of other exploitation films/anime.

There's a hell of a lot more thought to this than wank material for virgin otaku. Sexiness isn't an inherently bad thing; and I think using it in a subversive way like this is pretty god damn brilliant.

I don't know how I'm going to manage to wait weekly for more episodes of this show.

Yeah, this is how I saw it as well, it was pretty clever.

Watched the first episode and I'm not feeling it yet. Plot right now feels a little undercooked but I will give it a few more episodes to see if it simmers a bit. Slightly bothered by the fanservice and the suit looks ridiculous but I'm willing to look past that if it strikes home in other departments. Will keep a cautious eye on this.

wonzo

Banned
Episode 1

killlakill1.jpg

There's the good kind of Imaishi (TTGL, PSG, Re: Cutie Honey) and then there's the bad kind (Dead Leaves). Thank god this was the former. I am not worthy.

Speaking of Re Cutie Honey, the upscale (meh) Blu-ray release is next week.
The DVD's for that were awful so a decent upscale would be a huge improvement.

daniels

Episode one was ok :) my only complain is her uniform. Why cant we have a normal outfit instead of slut gear that would make even your average street whore blush? Is that shit really necessary?

Mik317

This was so entertaining.

I need to watch the directors other works ASAP.

I started to watch GL a while back but some asshole spoiled a big moment halfway through so I dropped it... Will rectify the mistake this weekend if I can.

I also saw Cutey Honey Re get mentioned. Do I have to watch the original first or can I just jump to that?

Basically I need more anime like this...

Dumb loud hot-blooded and awesome

daveo42

Banned
Watched the first episode last night and I completely love the art direction and the current setup for the anime. It's just the right amount of insanity and plot for me starting out to get me ready for the entire series.

The uniform was more of a shocker for me than anything else. Was expecting some fanservice, but not to that level. While I can live with the armor as is, I do hope the theory that
defeating more people with Goku armor will in turn make her clothes less revealing. Based on character designs, it could also be that her armor has a normal and battle mode, the latter being the one we saw in episode one.

Very curious where this goes based on the current simple storyline. TTGL had the same sort of story that really really opened up in the second half and it blew me away. I'm expecting the same here.

Silky

Banned
I noticed that thread of string that attached to her uniform after she defeated that guy. Maybe with every Goku Uniform the sword destroys, it not only adds to her clothes, but increases her power.

I think the suit's fine, really. It's tongue-in cheek, sure, but I've seen worse.

I wish she wears her original outfit more, really. That style to it is really cool. Or the jacket. Obviously she's gonna wear the jacket.

I'm a fan of the suspenders, too. :3

Really really enjoyed this. Good to have some crazy OTT anime while I wait for more jojos

Are they doing Stardust, now? I recall in the blu-ray release of Battle Tendency there's a "To Be Cont." arrow when Jotaro was revealed. I hope they do so the anime can air and boost the popularity of the best Joestar.

Episode 01

I loved it. He put the foot on the gas pedal and never let up for a second. The red text reminded me of a movie trailer and I thought it worked well in the episode as a sort of grounding touch to the chaos. By time it got to the outfit reveal, I was already absorbed into the ridiculousness and wasn't phased by it. It was revealing, but they didn't do any of the sort of pervy type shots that usually go along with that sort of outfit, plus the fact that it clearly protected her despite covering practically nothing was an added touch of comedy and harkens to the games where the thong bikini armor has like, 1mil defense bonus.

Some parts reminded me of Utena on cocaine, which is fine because Utena is one of my GOATs. If it can keep up the pace and keep the fights interesting, I don't think I'll mind if the plot and characters stay one dimensional.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
This was even stupider than I expected. I liked it!
It feels like the perfect no BS shounen. School setting, constant fights, big power ups. No story, just constant cartoony action and fanservice.

Mesoian

Episode 1

There's the good kind of Imaishi (TTGL, PSG, Re: Cutie Honey) and then there's the bad kind (Dead Leaves). Thank god this was the former. I am not worthy.

The DVD's for that were awful so a decent upscale would be a huge improvement.

Boo. Dead Leaves is awesome.

Silky

Banned
I have not seen Dead Leaves. Is it the same mindless, warped fun as this?

EDIT: I learned Trigger did the Samurai Legend Musashi opening long, long ago and amybe that's why I fucking love KLK

Mesoian

I have not seen Dead Leaves. Is it the same mindless, warped fun as this?

EDIT: I learned Trigger did the Samurai Legend Musashi opening long, long ago and amybe that's why I fucking love KLK

Yeah. Imagine if the creator of Gurren Lagann remade Natural Born Killers as an anime.

Holy shit so this is really really good.

Episode One

Keep in mind that I am a HUGE fan of Gurren Lagann, so I may be a little biased, but the animation and art in this show is incredible. Just gorgeous. I really dug the concept of the goku suits and I really liked the whip dude and the boxing dude and I can't wait to see more crazy characters show up. The one thing that was kinda bumming me out about this show prior to seeing it was the fanservice-y outfit they have the main character wearing, but when it was finally showed off in the show, they immediately poked fun at how revealing and silly it was and I really appreciated that.

Needless to say, I'll be watching more.

Thoraxes

KLK - 01

ANIME IS SAVED. This show is fucking awesome.

It gives me all the right feelings, and I unabashedly love the stylistic choices in here. I have a major aesthetic/art-boner for this show something fierce. And the voice acting is great too. They really go all out and the characters feel like they really come to life. All the minor visual gags were incredible, there was a SHITLOAD of incidental information about how the uniform works, and all the promo footage we saw was only from the first episode.

GET HYPE.

TRIGGER GODS.

WE ARE NOT WORTHY.

9MjysRU.gif

isuzu

Really liked the first episode (stupid uniform and stupid everything aside). I just hope it can keep the pace going, but with only 12 episodes it seems unlikely we'll see another TTGL mid series borefest. Fun/10.

Gazoinks

Really liked the first episode (stupid uniform and stupid everything aside). I just hope it can keep the pace going, but with only 12 episodes it seems unlikely we'll see another TTGL mid series borefest. Fun/10.

Mononoke avatar yes. :D

Also, I think someone in this thread said 24 episodes?

Top Bottom