• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Evilisk

8iBHaBJ.png

i knew i wasnt going crazy

It's probably just another animation error like Satsuki with Ryuuko's eyes

javac

Okay so I haven't updated since my first viewing so apologies for that although I doubt anyone was waiting in anticipation lol. This is pretty much the ramblings of a madman talking to himself but I guess it's kind of a diary.

Anyways...I finished episode 14 yesterday. I actually watched episodes 10 to 14 back to back yesterday and it was bloody awesome. It's really got me hooked. Every day I think about the show and what will happen next but like I said previously I only watch it after midnight since I love to set up my surround sound, turn the lights off and get cosy. It's awesome to end the day on such an awesome note.

I have to day the music is awesome. I'd expect that from Sawano. Whenever I hear Matoi's theme I get the biggest smile on my face because I know she's going to kick ass. It's so fucking epic when she strips them of the will to fight lmao. Seriously every single track is stuck in my head. I sing along (badly) to the intro and ending credits every damn time lmao. The intro is so good and the style of the show in general is right up my alley.

Voice acting since the beginning has been stellar yet again. Love the mannerisms of each character. Not a single bad character. Each and every one is fun although I have to say all the characters revolving around Satsuki mother gives me the creeps lmao.

I've hit the midway point and can already feel the show changing but I love it. Also love the use of the Gunbuster Emblem throughout the show lol.

Anyways I'm going to watch the next 3 episodes right now so I should be done with them in the next 2 hours or so. Gonna turn the lights off, put the volume up, kick back and watch some Kill la Kill!

Unfortunately I won't be reading the thread so far but once I finish the show (which should be by the end of the week) I'll read through it and let you know what I think.

I may even note down how I think the show is going to end to see how good my prediction is. I already have ideas but I try not to over think it. I just go with the flow.

javac

Okay so I just finished episode 17. Ah.... where do I start *inhales*

Okay so I'm loving the show so far so that's good. It's obviously taken a sudden change in direction and you can pinpoint the exact moment it happens. I'm not going to judge it yet because it still has everything I know and love from the show thus far so it's not some kind of bait and switch or anything. I feel it's still true to its roots but the change of pace is visible. I'll have to see how it goes but I see no reason to be alarmed at all. I'm loving it and have faith in the direction.

Expected a new intro and ending sequence but I thought they might of just stuck to the same one all the way through so it was nice to see they made a new pair. I loved the original opening/closing credits and the original theme is still THE theme for me but the new ending credits in particular I like. Big emphasis on Mako...foreshadowing something eh? Ha don't want to over think it! :p

I could easily finish it by tomorrow night but I'm gonna pace myself as much as I can. I want this to last. I'll figure something out.

Basically...I'm still loving it. Really excited to see what happens next. Ending of episode 17 legit shook me. I'm sure that's not the last we'll see of her!

Oh yeah and the fight in episode 15 legit made me audibly squeal. Amazing. *exhales*

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Why is Nonon so kawaii?

Giolon

I certainly was not disappointed. Let's not act like it being "disappointing" is some universal truth about the show.

My only expectation going in was that I loved LWA, FLCL, and that people held these guys in really high regard for Gurren Lagann
(which, if you want to talk about disappointment, I've got a thread about that right over here...)

While I did find a couple episodes around 7-9 or so a little bit on the slow side, KLK delivered me an extremely high amount of entertainment for half an hour each week and always left me wanting more. The absurdity of the situations and premises and the stupidity of some of the characters (hi Mako!) tickled me pink.

I am finding these investigations into dropped threads (no pun intended), loose ends (again), and confirmations of re-writes to be absolutely interesting though. I wonder at what point did they do the re-write? Was it after they had already begun production on the show or before but they still wanted to keep the introduction the same? What I wouldn't give to be able to sit down and talk to those guys.

Evilisk

I think it's about time I did overall series impressions now. Disclaimer: these are just my opinions that I know people will probably (definitely) disagree with me on

79u53rpn.jpg

Kill la Kill

Honestly I thought this was a horribly average show. Visual style is the only thing I'll agree on being done right in this show. Everything else was a mixed bag.

Animation was terrible. It's like they regressed on that during the show; you had decently choreographed fights during the middle half of the series with the least budget, and yet by the time they're flexing their full animation budget, all of the fights had regressed to "happy slappy fun time with swords" and that was a damn, damn shame. The only thing consistent in regards to animation was turning the frequent shortcuts into a part of the show's visual identity, something that I have to give Trigger credit for.

Story was just a mess. Forget foreshadowing, forget about speculating based on what's given to you by the show, you'll get further making baseless speculations on genre cliche's, just because. It's like Trigger thought of a bunch of ways to advance the story and they picked the most boring routes each and every time. And that's not even getting into the untapped potential that suffered from the show's change in focus...

Characters are okay. Ryuuko wasn't terrible but she definitely suffers from being overshadowed by pretty much every other character in the show. The rest of the cast was okay, only two other characters get any decent screentime, the rest are just underdeveloped as hell. That's it really.

Music wasn't great but they made good use of it (and yet even by the last few episodes they weren't even doing that right...)

Fanservice is obviously a controversial topic. I honestly didn't care about it until it started getting really disgusting later on
Life Fiber Orgy Incest anyone?

As for me, my personal enjoyment of the show was always mildly interested until it peaked about halfway in and it just kept dropping until I was completely apathetic towards the show (I pretty much kept watching the show after a point purely out of mindless habit more than anything).

I didn't hate the show at all, but at the same time I don't say that as a complement; if I hated a show, that at least means there was a point where I really feel like it could have been something. But this show, I'm not even disappointed despite all of the potential. It's just like, "meh whatever" and I've already moved on to other things at this point. And I feel like that's the worst thing I could say about a show to be brutally honest, because even if a show is offensively bad, at least I'd remember it for reasons other than being "that show with the fanservice and lazy animation" which is what Kill la Kill is to me (and probably still will be in a few years time).

Overall, it's just a terribly average show to me.

2/5

javac

Okay so I just finished watching episodes 18, 19 and 20.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT! OH MY GODDDDD! ARGHHHGYOOOO WHAT!!!!

Fucking Hell I was giggling like a little school girl during all three episodes. I mean Holy fucking crap. I have to say I'm super glad I didn't watch the simulcasts as they were being released. Watching this all in chunks each day is an emotional overload. I've never had so much fun with a show. This is phenomenal. Brings me back to when Lagann released. Goddamn guys.

Seriously I had to rewind the first 5 mins of episode 18 because I was in utter disbelief. Oh my god! Reveal after reveal. Shock after shock. Holy crap after Holy crap.

The way everything is being revealed, I'm in constant shock. It's funny however. The revelation that
Matoi is her sister was actually in my dream a few days ago that was about me being spoiled about the show.
What the hell lol.

Man I've got 4 episodes left and I'm leaving them till tomorrow. It's going to be a fucking blast. Around this time tomorrow I'll be back to lose my fucking goddamn shit!

Sorry if anyone's being replying to my comments. I haven't read the thread cos spoilers but I'll read everything once I finish tomorrow. I need a break. I'm sweating. This is phenomenal.

javac

A few more hours. I'm giggling away. Like actually laughing with anticipation and hype. Never been this excited about a show or movie or game ever. The music's in my head right now and everything. I'm so excited! Hahaha I've gone mad. Forget the Smash Bros Nintendo Direct. Tonight is Kill la Kill night! Haha I'm hysterical. :D!!!!!

javac

So I've just finished it. Watched the last 4 episodes back to back. I loved it. I'd usually go all philosophical and untangle the threads around this show and remove it's covers etc but you guys seem to have that covered. And to be honest I usually like letting shows sink in first since I just finished it.

Really loved it. The music throughout was amazing. I can finally open that soundtrack I've had in my drawer for a few months lmao. It'll be on repeat for a while that's for sure!

Voice acting was perfection. Some stand-outs for me include Satsuki, Matoi and Nonon. Fucking Tsubasa from His and Hers. I loved every single voice.

Visuals were amazing throughout. Character designs etc were top notch. These characters already feel iconic to me.

Funny scenes made me laugh. Sad scenes made me sad. Epic scenes made me giggle with excitement. All is right with the world.

Ending didn't have the emotional punch I was expecting (although it was still there! A few tears both happy and sad) I still loved it. I guess I was trying to mold it, at least in my mind into something it wasn't.

Had a huge grin on my face during the whole show and I was downright giggling by the end. Watching it back to back like I said made a huge difference. Having to watch an episode a week from October all the damn way to the end of March would have killed the momentum for me but I guess it works for others. I'd say my ability to go on a total blackout and resist watching it was warranted. I'll continue down that path as always even if it makes me out of touch for a few months. My resolve knows no bounds!

But seriously I loved this show to bits. I was giggling all day waiting to watch the final 4 episodes back to back. It was awesome. My big TV and surround sound did it all justice. Thanks Trigger!

I'll write more down the line once my mind clears I guess! :)

Already sad it's over. I'll miss hearing their voices every night and seeing their faces. That's what I love about watching it like this. You get really attached the each character. I was just thinking about the first episode and how much everyone changed as well as my feelings towards them and how that changed day by day. Wanting someone to get pummelled one minute, cheering for them the next. I like that. I like kill la kill.

Kieli

I like kill la kill.

At least I'm glad you were able to derive such enjoyment from this series. :'(

I liked it a lot up to episode 7 or 8 (can't remember which). Stopped around episode 12 after she got defeated by Nui.

I was probably wanting it to be something it clearly wasn't going to be.

Giolon

So I've just finished it. Watched the last 4 episodes back to back. I loved it. I'd usually go all philosophical and untangle the threads around this show and remove it's covers etc but you guys seem to have that covered. And to be honest I usually like letting shows sink in first since I just finished it.

Really loved it. The music throughout was amazing. I can finally open that soundtrack I've had in my drawer for a few months lmao. It'll be on repeat for a while that's for sure!

Voice acting was perfection. Some stand-outs for me include Satsuki, Matoi and Nonon. Fucking Tsubasa from His and Hers. I loved every single voice.

Visuals were amazing throughout. Character designs etc were top notch. These characters already feel iconic to me.

Funny scenes made me laugh. Sad scenes made me sad. Epic scenes made me giggle with excitement. All is right with the world.

Ending didn't have the emotional punch I was expecting (although it was still there! A few tears both happy and sad) I still loved it. I guess I was trying to mold it, at least in my mind into something it wasn't.

Had a huge grin on my face during the whole show and I was downright giggling by the end. Watching it back to back like I said made a huge difference. Having to watch an episode a week from October all the damn way to the end of March would have killed the momentum for me but I guess it works for others. I'd say my ability to go on a total blackout and resist watching it was warranted. I'll continue down that path as always even if it makes me out of touch for a few months. My resolve knows no bounds!

But seriously I loved this show to bits. I was giggling all day waiting to watch the final 4 episodes back to back. It was awesome. My big TV and surround sound did it all justice. Thanks Trigger!

I'll write more down the line once my mind clears I guess! :)

Already sad it's over. I'll miss hearing their voices every night and seeing their faces. That's what I love about watching it like this. You get really attached the each character. I was just thinking about the first episode and how much everyone changed as well as my feelings towards them and how that changed day by day. Wanting someone to get pummelled one minute, cheering for them the next. I like that. I like kill la kill.

Glad to hear your impressions ended up being positive. I read your posts all the way through but refrained from responding b/c you wouldn't be reading anything anyway.

I like Kill La Kill too! It sounds like a heretical thing to say around here sometimes. It seems like most of the people who enjoyed it let it end and moved on, while the people who really disliked it for one reason or stuck around to dissect their issues further. Which, while there's no problem with that, makes it a bit hard to find people to chat with here that want to talk about what we enjoyed and how much.

javac

Just go with the flow man. Indulge in its craziness. Let your hair lose and have fun. It's true it feels unplanned and it goes in a whole different direction after 'she' shows up but I still loved it.

Thinking back, the show could have and you could tell it was going to be something totally different. I was really excited for (KINDA SPOILERS I GUESS)
a tough battle against the Four devas and then Satsuki. She was a beast at the start.
Everyone gets nerfed. It goes back and forth. But I loved it.

Yeah it wasn't as deep as I expected. It wasn't the uplifting tearjerker I was expecting. But was a really epic, fun show with amazing designs, an awesome cast with phenomenal voice acting, an amazing soundtrack and epic battles and set pieces with tonnes of humor. Put the volume up to max, sit back and relax (Hey that kinda rhymes!)

I like kill la kill.

I like Kill La Kill too! It sounds like a heretical thing to say around here sometimes. It seems like most of the people who enjoyed it let it end and moved on, while the people who really disliked it for one reason or stuck around to dissect their issues further. Which, while there's no problem with that, makes it a bit hard to find people to chat with here that want to talk about what we enjoyed and how much.

Right there with the both of you! ;-) The series is awesome, and I can't wait for the OVA!!

javac

Glad to hear your impressions ended up being positive. I read your posts all the way through but refrained from responding b/c you wouldn't be reading anything anyway.

Thank you for reading them all :) I was hoping you would and I wasn't just rambling to myself! Ha yeah I absolutely loved it. I really love getting into shows I watch and indulging everything it has to offer. Like I said I'm already emotional about it being finished. I'll watch it multiple times for sure!

Seeing everyone and hearing them all every night was fun and I feel like I know them you know? You're like a fly on the wall at Honnouji. It sounds sad of me to say I made friends with Anime characters lol but you get that feeling right? You just fall in love with everyone.

I was super excited every day waiting in anticipation. Today I was mad giggling and everything. Man it was so bloody fun!

Right there with the both of you! ;-) The series is awesome, and I can't wait for the OVA!!

Hell Yeah I'm hyped as hell! Love your avatar by the way. I might need to don a kill la kill avatar now! To be fair I wanted to since it was announced and I caught glimpse of Matoi.

rexor0717

I really enjoyed my time watching Kill la Kill. Some really great characters and plenty of humor. The action was flashy but kinda lacked substance at some points. Also, the story seemed a bit cobbled together. I didn't love the show, but I would recommend it.

Giolon

Thank you for reading them all :) I was hoping you would and I wasn't just rambling to myself! Ha yeah I absolutely loved it. I really love getting into shows I watch and indulging everything it has to offer. Like I said I'm already emotional about it being finished. I'll watch it multiple times for sure!

Seeing everyone and hearing them all every night was fun and I feel like I know them you know? You're like a fly on the wall at Honnouji. It sounds sad of me to say I made friends with Anime characters lol but you get that feeling right? You just fall in love with everyone.

I was super excited every day waiting in anticipation. Today I was mad giggling and everything. Man it was so bloody fun!

Hell Yeah I'm hyped as hell! Love your avatar by the way. I might need to don a kill la kill avatar now! To be fair I wanted to since it was announced and I caught glimpse of Matoi.

I do know what you mean. It was a very lonely Thursday night last week without being able to bring all of those fantastically entertaining character into my house. While not 100% satisfying, I'm just glad that we got a mostly good ending rather than the tragic or bittersweet endings a lot of Japanese media tends to go for. That end credit sequence was so heartwarming!

And let me tell you, the wait from week to week was brutal (it even had a 2-week hiatus around Christmas & New Year's). If the show did one thing consistently right, it was always setting you up for the next week.

BTW, did you hear that a 25 episode is coming out on the final Blu-Ray in Japan in September? It's supposed to be centered around "graduation".

I was ready to watch the show over again in marathon sessions pretty much immediately after it ended, but I decided to go give Gurren Lagann a second shot, and you can find out how that's going in a link a few posts back up.

javac

I do know what you mean. It was a very lonely Thursday night last week without being able to bring all of those fantastically entertaining character into my house. While not 100% satisfying, I'm just glad that we got a mostly good ending rather than the tragic or bittersweet endings a lot of Japanese media tends to go for. That end credit sequence was so heartwarming!

Yeah I feel ya. The ending was great. Seeing
Satsuki with short hair?
So cute! It wasn't devoid of other emotions however. Senketsu fucking put tears in my eyes man. It's actually affecting me more now that I think about it. I've got tears in my eyes. The little guy looked after her the whole time
until the bitter end.
Looking back at everything the two went through, man I feel sorry for him.

I'm actually legit sad. I want to cry. And the shit Matoi was saying to him during the final stretch.

And let me tell you, the wait from week to week was brutal (it even had a 2-week hiatus around Christmas & New Year's). If the show did one thing consistently right, it was always setting you up for the next week.

Yeah the episodes were paced perfectly. I'm glad I watched it like this however. Allowed me to get comfy for about 2 hours a night with these crazy girls and underachievers.

BTW, did you hear that a 25 episode is coming out on the final Blu-Ray in Japan in September? It's supposed to be centered around "graduation".

I was ready to watch the show over again in marathon sessions pretty much immediately after it ended, but I decided to go give Gurren Lagann a second shot, and you can find out how that's going in a link a few posts back up.

Oh I read about the 25th OVA right after I finished but didn't realise it'll be included with the bluray. That's cool! Oh and don't worry I'll make sure to kick reason to the curb and read your Lagann post! :p

Top Bottom