• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Is this the point where I point out the irony in an a employee of the company that's currently working on Bayonetta 2 complaining about selling games anime based on character design?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
JP: Your appreciation of what has been released when is demonstrably flawed and you're really doing no better than acting like an old man going on how all sitcoms were better in the 1950's. That's not to say there aren't points to be made, but you're just making yourself look foolish.

Branduil

I think that Eva marked a clear shift away from what was more an OVA/feature driven industry.

Eva showed up, and reused lots of scenes to keep the quality high and the budget low. But thematically it is a mess. Mamoru Oshii is right: http://otakuusamagazine.com/LatestN...i-The-most-opinionated-man-in-anime-4973.aspx

The other shift was that the character designs, not the characters, became the selling point. It's all about how you can sell the character in merchandising/UFO catcher toys now, not about who the characters actually are.

I don't think you can honestly compare current anime, which is basically Michael Bay/summer blockbuster stuff to me, with what was going on in the 80s and 90s. Miyazaki's golden age, Akira, Ghost in the Shell (an anime with an attractive female character that is about the character not the design), Roujin Z, Honnaemise, Jin-Roh, etc. The gap in quality is huge and clear. Obviously, there are outliers, like Bepop and Millennium Actress, but they are the exception to the rule when they used to be the norm.

If that is what anime is about now, I'm just not a fan. It doesn't speak to me. Doesn't mean it can't speak to you...

Anime like Cowboy Bebop and Millennium Actress were never the norm, else they wouldn't still be remembered so fondly compared to so many earlier works.

Anime has changed to a certain degree overall, as all mediums tend to do, but the '80s and '90s were not really a universal golden age. They were full of OVAs with ridiculous hyper-violence, sexual assault, etc. And yes, there was moe too. I don't think using anime to sell merchandise is anything new, either. I don't like Kill la Kill and 90% of anime is still crap, but as long as things like Wolf Children, Time of Eve, Bunny Drop, Flowers of Evil, Space Dandy, and From the New World are still being made, it's not accurate to say that anime is irredeemably and measurably worse than in the '90s.

BTW - Not that I have a say, but not cool with my new tag.

My personal opinions are not Platinum project decisions...

Ouch, that sucks dude. I'm sure getting all those requests was annoying. Guess Imaishi (Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill guy) is getting compared to Kamiya now more than ever. Not that I disagree with that comparison.

I think that Eva marked a clear shift away from what was more an OVA/feature driven industry.

Eva showed up, and reused lots of scenes to keep the quality high and the budget low. But thematically it is a mess. Mamoru Oshii is right: http://otakuusamagazine.com/LatestN...i-The-most-opinionated-man-in-anime-4973.aspx

The other shift was that the character designs, not the characters, became the selling point. It's all about how you can sell the character in merchandising/UFO catcher toys now, not about who the characters actually are.

I don't think you can honestly compare current anime, which is basically Michael Bay/summer blockbuster stuff to me, with what was going on in the 80s and 90s. Miyazaki's golden age, Akira, Ghost in the Shell (an anime with an attractive female character that is about the character not the design), Roujin Z, Honnaemise, Jin-Roh, etc. The gap in quality is huge and clear. Obviously, there are outliers, like Bepop and Millennium Actress, but they are the exception to the rule when they used to be the norm.

If that is what anime is about now, I'm just not a fan. It doesn't speak to me. Doesn't mean it can't speak to you...

EDIT: One added thing. For all the money that Eva made, the anime industry has been in clear decline since it came out. All these companies chasing that crowd and appealing to a smaller and smaller market. Correlation does not imply causation, but I think there is something to be said for the correlation being pretty strong.

I don't disagree that the good:bad ratio has gotten worse now, but I'd say that's more a result of more stuff getting made. You know, Sturgeon's Law and all that. Still plenty modern stuff worth watching out there IMO.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Jin-Roh is 1999.
Mushishi is 2005
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is 2002
Hajime no Ippo is 2000
Baccano is 2007
Tatami Galaxy is 2008
Seirei no Moribito is 2007
Planetes is 2003
Paranoia Agent is 2004
Little Witch Academia is 2013
Gankutsuou is 2003
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 is 2013

Meanwhile, if you look beyond the classics, a lot of shit came out in the 80's and 90's.

javac

My favourite episode...huh I'm not sure. I love every episode so I guess my highlights would be more appropriate. Kill la Kill Spoilers

-Episode 7 was amazing because Mako. Soo cute how she starts to act all serious but the episode as a whole is pretty sad. Seeing how everyone changes was upsetting. The end is full of feels as you'd expect. That's the moment I truly loved Mako.

-The following episode (8) was also really fun. Seeing more of Gamagori and his back story and a look into the compassion Satsuki had towards him and why he's as tough as he is and why he swears to protect her was was cool. Plus seeing him drive was funny.

-Episode 4 was amazing but
we never see Maiko again :(
so that was a bummer.

-The double whammy of both episode 11 + 12 was full of hype due to the fight with Nonon and the introduction to Harime. That shot of Ryuko at the end of episode 11 and her going berserk in episode 12 was crazy hype.

-Episode 15 with takarada was really fun.

-Episode 20 was just a beast. Ryuko all pissed off heading towards Honnouji on her fucking awesome bike, fights Nui, puts on fucking Junketsu and then Satsuki puts on Senketsu? Really? Fucking really? Oh damn. I was giggling.

-The last 4 episodes just carried that momentum really. Hyped all the way.

I really want to watch it again but I'm gonna wait for the UK bluray which will be out by years end. Anime Limited <3

cajunator

Banned

EDIT: One added thing. For all the money that Eva made, the anime industry has been in clear decline since it came out. All these companies chasing that crowd and appealing to a smaller and smaller market. Correlation does not imply causation, but I think there is something to be said for the correlation being pretty strong.

Haibane Renmei barely has any marketing. Nor does Kinos journey. Those are two great shows. There are other examples, like Jinrui and Tsuritama. These shows stand on the strength of the characters.
At least you said Millennium Actress.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Jin-Roh is 1999.
Mushishi is 2005
Hajime no Ippo is 2000
Baccano is 2007
Tatami Galaxy is 2008
Planetes is 2003
Paranoia Agent is 2004
Gankutsuou is 2003

Meanwhile, if you look beyond the classics, a lot of shit came out in the 80's and 90's.

Indeed, here is an internet show looking at the terrible shit anime of yesteryear.

wwm0nkey

Honestly I thought EVA was just okay I know people call it an Eva clone (people who haven't completed it probably) but I like RahXephon much more.

Don't really see what made Eva so, special? I mean its not terrible but a lot of anime outclassed it for me personally.

I do agree with what your saying that there seems to have been higher quality animes in the past however I don't think that they have disappeared. You just have to look for them :)

Eusis

Well, I guess that cements that I was right about Twitter being too short for articulate opinions, though I still found the moe bit kind of crazy.
Jin-Roh is 1999.
Mushishi is 2005
Hajime no Ippo is 2000
Baccano is 2007
Tatami Galaxy is 2008
Planetes is 2003
Paranoia Agent is 2004
Gankutsuou is 2003

True, when you cull back over a certain period you can extract the best easily. Even the last decade can be the same way as that post kind of highlights, while if you tried to actually look at it season-by-season most of that's just crap I either couldn't care about it or is just moderately interesting.

TheOGB

Banned
This thread sure got caught up on one guy's opinion

Clearly the only way of solving this is producing an Infinite Space sequel based on Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
I'm still morbidly curious in a fusion of Vanquish and Shadow the Hedgehog

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
True, when you cull back over a certain period you can extract the best easily. Even the last decade can be the same way as that post kind of highlights, while if you tried to actually look at it season-by-season most of that's just crap I either couldn't care about it or is just moderately interesting.
America had the benefit of playing catchup in the late 90's with companies localizing the standout titles first. Now everything comes over unfiltered in real-time and it's a total mess to sort out.

Clov

Jin-Roh is 1999.
Mushishi is 2005
Hajime no Ippo is 2000
Baccano is 2007
Tatami Galaxy is 2008
Planetes is 2003
Paranoia Agent is 2004
Gankutsuou is 2003

Wasn't Tatami Galaxy in 2010? Yuasa would have been directing Kaiba in 2008.

Plenty of great stuff comes out today though, definitely. I think people who think that no great anime comes out anymore just really don't pay attention to the more interesting stuff.

Eusis

Yeah, seriously... Back to your regularly scheduled program... And someone fix my tag. :(
But they ended it!
America had the benefit of playing catchup in the late 90's with companies localizing the standout titles first. Now everything comes over unfiltered in real-time and it's a total mess to sort out.
Yeah, and can make it kind of worrisome about still getting whatever good stuff that DIDN'T come out then. Well, we still got Dirty Pair even though it took a long while and stuff like Fist of the North Star got brought over, so at this point it's probably more about getting some of that stuff out AGAIN, like someone re-licensing Urusei Yatsura and Sunrise or whoever pulling their head out of their ass about Gundam.

javac

Reminds me I still haven't played much of TW101. I frigging bought it day one and never sunk my teeth into it. Damn uni work. Soon...

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Wasn't Tatami Galaxy in 2010? Yuasa would have been directing Kaiba in 2008.
Doh, you're right. Thought it was 2008 for some reason and that was the one title I didn't double check.

Plenty of great stuff comes out today though, definitely. I think people who think that no great anime comes out anymore just really don't pay attention to the more interesting stuff.
Well, again, they don't have anything acting as a filter anymore, so it's rather understandable. Word of mouth is also unreliable because anime fandom always has that segment that is perpetually enamored with everything then burns out entirely, replaced by the next batch of people raving about every last thing.

cajunator

Banned

Doh, you're right. Thought it was 2008 for some reason and that was the one title I didn't double check.

Well, again, they don't have anything acting as a filter anymore, so it's rather understandable. Word of mouth is also unreliable because anime fandom always has that segment that is perpetually enamored with everything then burns out entirely, replaced by the next batch of people raving about every last thing.

and then there are people like me who will die surrounded by anime items.
At leasT I hope to go out that way.

Clov

Well, again, they don't have anything acting as a filter anymore, so it's rather understandable.

Yeah, that's true. I pick up a lot of shows each season, and I end up sitting through a lot of stuff that's bad/alright/good before I can find something great. I'd say that usually there's one, or sometimes two great shows each season. This is in an industry that usually puts out around 30-50ish shows every season, so I can understand why it would be difficult for some to find the diamonds in the rough.

LordCanti

I was wondering how this thread had gotten another entire page, but I wouldn't have guessed it was fighting over whether old anime is better than new anime.

I wouldn't have guessed that a dev got dragged in here to explain why we aren't getting a KLK video game either.

JPKellams

I was wondering how this thread had gotten another entire page, but I wouldn't have guessed it was fighting over whether old anime is better than new anime.

I wouldn't have guessed that a dev got dragged in here to explain why we aren't getting a KLK video game either.

Except I have no idea if you are getting a KLK video game.

A-V-B

Yeah, seriously... Back to your regularly scheduled program... And someone fix my tag. :(

For what it's worth, I do agree about the disintegrating approach to quality anime in the market overall. Eva was meant to deconstruct, but instead it just made the corruption popular.

It was like Eva said, "this is what you are, anime! You're a horrific world-destructing, lonely-child-exploiting, endlessly-duplicating Oedipal monstrosity!"

And the industry said, "Uh, hey, you're right! Even moreso than we thought! Thanks for the advice! Off we go!"

Oops.

javac

I can't wait for the Satsuki Phat figure and her Nendoroid to come out. *causally whistles*

XZhx6Vs.jpg

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
For what it's worth, I do agree about the disintegrating approach to quality anime in the market overall. Eva was meant to deconstruct, but instead it just made the corruption popular.

It was like Eva said, "this is what you are, anime! You're a horrific world-destructing, lonely-child-exploiting, endlessly-duplicating Oedipal monstrosity!"

And the industry said, "Uh, hey, you're right! Even moreso than we thought! Thanks for the advice! Off we go!"

Oops.
Eva was a show that explicitly promised its audience more fanservice in next episode previews.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Ive just been reading along, I kinda want to contribute but dont know how and points I would have stated have already been said lol

A-V-B

Eva was a show that promised its audience more fanservice in next episode previews.

Kinda why it worked so well. I guess, intentionally or not on whatever level, it saw anime's power as this repeatably marketable mutant husk, and turned it into a story. And it was so right in certain aspects, it became a global phenomenon and enforced the things it perhaps didn't quite mean to. A receiver of its own boons, and a victim of its own banes.

javac

The blurays look awesome but there's like 9 volumes or somecrap. I'm not paying 6k each! They look soo cool but I'm not that crazy. I hope they release the OST2 separately or its included in a UK limited edition or something :/

LordCanti

Ive just been reading along, I kinda want to contribute but dont know how and points I would have stated have already been said lol

My mission is now sitting here and soaking in Eva getting shit on.

It's always a good day to remember how bad those last two episodes (three really) were.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Quite a lot of anime has always skewed the way of the Otaku, what is the Otaku Incest Fetish Thing of today's was the Moe series of recent was the harem series of the 1990s and 2000s or the hyper violent shlock of the 1980s. There is always bad shit and like the good shit both have changed their faces over the decades.

Giolon

I can't wait for the Satsuki Phat figure and her Nendoroid to come out. *causally whistles*

I've already got Ryuuko on order.

I think it's futile getting the thread back on track at this point though. :(

I enjoyed the top favorites list. I had written about re-watching Ep 4 and 5 a little while ago, but I scrapped it when it was clear the thread was going to be off track for a while. I'll just say Ep 4 is still one of my favorite episodes. (RIP Maiko)

The blurays look awesome but there's like 9 volumes or somecrap. I'm not paying 6k each! They look soo cool but I'm not that crazy. I hope they release the OST2 separately or its included in a UK limited edition or something :/

That's a pretty typical Japan release strategy. The US release hasn't been announced yet, other than that Aniplex has the license. They have a bad habit of just taking the Japanese release, printing a few subtitles on them and then tossing them over to the US at full or near-full Japanese prices. It must be working for them because they keep doing it.

Kill La Kill is the one show that I'm willing to shell out for like that though. :( I feel bad for the Gurren Lagann superfans that finally got their English Blu-Ray release in the form of a limited edition $500 Japanese import set.

javac

Satsuki's eyebrows are amazing. I just want to touch myself every time I see her face. Perfection.

...you guys carry on.

A-V-B

Quite a lot of anime has always skewed the way of the Otaku, what is the Otaku Insect Fetish Thing of today's was the Moe series of recent was the harem series of the 1990s and 2000s or the hyper violent shlock of the 1980s. There is always bad shit and like the good shit both have changed their faces over the decades.

(this is, however, also true -- it just seems worse now)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Quite a lot of anime has always skewed the way of the Otaku, what is the Otaku Incest Fetish Thing of today's was the Moe series of recent was the harem series of the 1990s and 2000s or the hyper violent shlock of the 1980s. There is always bad shit and like the good shit both have changed their faces over the decades.
For a while anime became popular precisely because it had sex and violence, while American animation shied away from it.

Top Bottom