• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Out Now on Steam!

Jawmuncher

I do wish we had gotten a story mode over the Shadow Lord mode.
Tried that on Xbox One and had no real interest to keep at it. Enjoyed the story stuff in Season 2 more, even if the achievements tied to that were pretty whack.
Game is still a lot of fun though. Especially with all of those achievements which entice you to try out a lot of different things in the game. I'm amazed they brought them all with Steam.

vg260

I do wish we had gotten a story mode over the Shadow Lord mode.
Tried that on Xbox One and had no real interest to keep at it. Enjoyed the story stuff in Season 2 more, even if the achievements tied to that were pretty whack.

I'll give them credit for trying, although in the end, I would have preferred stages for each characters, and just some other simple mode to make the Shadow AI system more engaging. I really liked that idea.

Jawmuncher

I'll give them credit for trying, although in the end, I would have preferred stages for each characters, and just some other simple mode to make the Shadow AI system more engaging. I really liked that idea.

I'd have taken that as well.
Shadow Lord just feels like MS at the top going "You need microtransactions in one of these game modes because Halo and Gears have them" and the team just going "Ok we'll use the limited budget you gave us to make this". It's a fine attempt. But...yeah

Kaleinc

Banned
All XInput fight sticks work on Killer Instinct Steam version. Fight sticks that are D-Input are not currently supported by the Steam version, however, will work with the Xbox One and Windows 10 versions. Key note to this. Xbox One sticks will work with the Xbox & Windows version of KI, but not Steam.
All I'm getting from this is Steam doesn't run on Windows, good to know.

iJack

Banned
PLEASE BUY THIS GAME PEOPLE.

I have a problem. It's a good problem to have so I'd like some advice before proceeding further.

I was prepared to buy three games today:

Road Redemption
Cuphead
Assassin's Creed Bundle

Assassin's Creed I was going to get basically to put on my LONG LONG LONG list of games that will take me a while to play. But then Killer Instinct showed up on Steam and my doubt is. If it's cross-play, why should I spend money on Steam if I can get it for free on Windows Store and play it from there? Because if what matters is that they will have more players via Steam, basically if I play it from there I will play against people on Steam anyway, right?

So, my question is: should I buy Killer Instinct and Rocket League (this one loads of friends play it and want me to play with them), or should I buy Assassin's Creed Bundle and play Killer Instinct via the Windows Store? Thoughts? Halp? Haha

badjab326

Neo Member
I have a problem. It's a good problem to have so I'd like some advice before proceeding further.

Road Redemption
Cuphead
Assassin's Creed Bundle

Assassin's Creed I was going to get basically to put on my LONG LONG LONG list of games that will take me a while to play. But then Killer Instinct showed up on Steam and my doubt is. If it's cross-play, why should I spend money on Steam if I can get it for free on Windows Store and play it from there? Because if what matters is that they will have more players via Steam, basically if I play it from there I will play against people on Steam anyway, right?

So, my question is: should I buy Killer Instinct and Rocket League (this one loads of friends play it and want me to play with them), or should I buy Assassin's Creed Bundle and play Killer Instinct via the Windows Store? Thoughts? Halp? Haha

The free version of KI is nice, but it doesn't hold a candle to the amount of content you get in the steam bundle. You only get 1 rotating character for free, with a chance to unlock 2 more via the tutorial and Shadow Lords for a total of 2 constant characters and 1 rotating. However, every single character in the game is fun to play and you will definitely be missing out if you don't have access to all of them.

iJack

Banned
The free version of KI is nice, but it doesn't hold a candle to the amount of content you get in the steam bundle. You only get 1 rotating character for free, with a chance to unlock 2 more via the tutorial and Shadow Lords for a total of 2 constant characters and 1 rotating. However, every single character in the game is fun to play and you will definitely be missing out if you don't have access to all of them.

Yeah I'm going for Killer Instinct. Fighting games before anything else, and this game looks like fun.

sibarraz

Banned

Road Redemption
Cuphead
Assassin's Creed Bundle

Download it in the Windows store and see if you like it, then you can decide if buying it on steam or stick with the Windows store, the definitive edition with all the characters always goes on sale, so you could try that

Road Redemption
Cuphead
Assassin's Creed Bundle

Great time to jump into Rocket League as well. Huge update coming tomorrow. One of the best games ever.

iJack

Banned
Download it in the Windows store and see if you like it, then you can decide if buying it on steam or stick with the Windows store, the definitive edition with all the characters always goes on sale, so you could try that

Yeah I will be doing that. I'm hearing some crazy bad things about KI on the Windows Store user reviews of the game. Like... this game supposedly doesn't work in x64 architecture? Like WTF? Anyone had problems with the game here?

iJack

Banned
Windows Store is a freaking mess and I don't find the freaking download button. Fuck this. I'm buying the Steam version and I'll test it. If it works, it works, if it doesn't I will get a refund. Let's see. Does this thing has a story mode?

Bluth54

10405398_812417068768736_1984327568672622196_n.jpg

51 GB is small for a Microsoft first party game.

iJack

Banned
Yeah I will be doing that. I'm hearing some crazy bad things about KI on the Windows Store user reviews of the game. Like... this game supposedly doesn't work in x64 architecture? Like WTF? Anyone had problems with the game here?

Just an update in this. It works perfectly here. Bought the Steam version and the game is awesome. As good as I remember from back then.

oh

oh!

OOOH!

I'm in it to win it if there are no requirements like GFWL and such. Judging from what I read in the Q&A that seems to be the case and we even get crossplay!!!

Edit: The graphics requirements are also even lower than SFV's. Oh man, I'm so buying this haha. More crossplay fighting games please and thanks.

RM8

EDIT:

Lol, wrong thread. But this is cool too! I probably won't double dip on the same platform, though.

Kuksune

I hope my ps4 hori stick is compatible. Anyone knows if it is?

Edit: Nevermind, I'll just use my DOA4 arcade stick for now.

kingbean

Oh my god. This game is brilliant. I'm having an amazing time. I'm almost done with the dojo and done only a few stories for characters. It's so much fun to play.

I hope everyone that complained about how shit windows store is (especially me) buys this to show Microsoft the middle finger.
Hopefully higher sales means more titles coming over.
Support this people, game is great.

The Steam version was never said to be F2P, no. Like Quake Champions, if you'd rather play the F2P version, your only option is the competing service.

So...where do I get it free?

Because Quake is not "free" anymore, only to those who got the beta keys.

Trup1aya

I hope everyone that complained about how shit windows store is (especially me) buys this to show Microsoft the middle finger.
Hopefully higher sales means more titles coming over.
Support this people, game is great.

Im not sure they'll take it as middle finger... they are offering it for sale in hopes that people buy it...

Im not sure they'll take it as middle finger... they are offering it for sale in hopes that people buy it...

Because more sales on Steam will prove that it is the preferred platform. Hopefully they can sell more in a day than life time sales on that other effort of a store.
Can't wait to see sales figures.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So...where do I get it free?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/store/p/killer-instinct/9nblggh1z149

Because Quake is not "free" anymore, only to those who got the beta keys.

Ah, yeah, sorry, the F2P version will come "at a later date" (after Early Access, at a guess).

Because more sales on Steam will prove that it is the preferred platform. Hopefully they can sell more in a day than life time sales on that other effort of a store.
Can't wait to see sales figures.

As I said in the Steam thread a couple of days ago, I don't think Microsoft developed a Steam <-> XBL network API (beta tested in Rise of Nations and now part of Killer Instinct) just to continue being very particular about what WinStore games it releases on Steam. The other shoe will eventually drop.

are all the costumes and colors unlocked in the steam version?

The colours and customizations are unlocked by playing with the particular character. Every mode gives your character EXP.

But the purchasable skins and colour packs are already unlocked and available.

Top Bottom