• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Out Now on Steam!

Killer Instinct is great, people who didn't want the Windows Store version for whatever reasons should definitely check it out now on Steam.

Was the single player stuff they added any good?

The production values aren't great, but Shadow Lords is the deepest and most interesting single player mode I've seen in a fighting game. I've spent an absurd number of hours on it. It's like a strategic board game mixed with a choose-your-own-adventure book mixed with Virtua Fighter's quest modes.

Shadow Survival is also a lot of fun, even just for seeing the different sort of AIs players have created for the game. Some of them fight incredibly weird/human. One time I ran into a Rash that was a close-range monster but would mostly just run away to the edge of the screen and repeatedly taunt. I was laughing so hard. I've never fought a CPU fighting game opponent with such a human personality.

Sigh.

811qP%2BrBheL._SL1500_.jpg

My favourite fighting game since SSFIV and still my no1 Xbox "exclusive". I hope alot more people get to play it now it's on Steam, it deserves a wider audience and a chance for a sequel.

Ploid 3.0

I already tried it on the MS store, but no free option on steam is a bummer for me. I was wondering if the file size is smaller. Hopefully it does well enough. Bring the free version to GOG MS. If the game was smaller I would have left it on my system to maybe play it randomly like Heroes of the Storm.

Yay, no W10 requirement like the UWP version
pretty much, "360 controllers will work, but X1 controllers won't"

Can't this just use the steam controller API to emulate Xbox (PS4, Steam Controller, and any other non Xbox controller using the steam controller api).

Nzyme32

Kind of crap to not be able to do cross-play for ranked with the Steam version. Makes sense to wait and see how the Steam community take to the game and how MS support the game further before going for it. Also no OG KI, that's no fun!

Fuck. I have 5 arcade sticks and they're all d-input.
Razer Panthera, madcatz TES+, Hori RAP4 kuro model, Qanba q1 and Hori Switch. I'll buy it and see if I can get any working. If not i'll refund.

3 out of those 5 sticks have native PC/XINPUT support. There are xinput drivers for the Razer Panthera and Mad Catz Sticks (The only issue with that is unless you know someone who took a backup of them like me. You're kinda screwed) and the Hori Switch stick has a PC toggle that you can just turn on, plug in and play.

Justinh

I'm hoping this helps get the game more popular. I don't play it because I suck at fighting games, but I loved watching it a EVO when it was there.

I really wish more Japanese players would pick it up and it would go back to EVO. Watching that one Japanese fella with his Cinder was so freaking cool that one year. I remember the Top 8s always being so freaking hype to watch too.

That said, I'm not sure I'll pick this up again. I've paid a total of 120 dollars already on Killer Instinct with the Ultra Editions of each season when they came out. I still kinda want the physical copy though.

edit: complete soundtrack for 7 bucks? That's a keeper too, IMO.

kingbean

3 out of those 5 sticks have native PC/XINPUT support. There are xinput drivers for the Razer Panthera and Mad Catz Sticks (The only issue with that is unless you know someone who took a backup of them like me. You're kinda screwed) and the Hori Switch stick has a PC toggle that you can just turn on, plug in and play.

Yeah I forgot the switch stick has that. I never use it though because it defines Nintendo controls to most of my games.

BHK3

Banned
Sure it was a while ago but damn I feel like shit for dropping 50 bones on the supreme edition...I didn't even want any of the stupid costumes or points shit they tacked on to hike up the price but their pricing structure was godawful. And I'm STILL missing those clone characters they made like shadow jago, broken fulgore and sword hisako or something. I have no reason to buy this because even back then the online community was really small. By the time the games $5 it'll be a wasteland.

Any reason to double dip? Better ranked mode experience? Or does the Windows Store version already get ranked cross-play with consoles? I haven't played it enough to know.

Gestault

$30 for the amount of content (single-player and online) between the three seasons is a solid buy. I've been playing this since season 1, and I'm happy they're pushing this out for wider release with some cross-play for online modes. If someone's starting fresh on the Steam version, that's fucking excellent.

Don't expect NetherRealm-style cinematics. It's very "classic" in the way it presents Season 1's arcade story mode, Season 2's Rivals story mode, and the Season 3 Shadow Lords mode.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Any reason to double dip? Better ranked mode experience? Or does the Windows Store version already get ranked cross-play with consoles? I haven't played it enough to know.

There is only 3 real reasons to double dip

1 is if your prefer steam as your storefront
2 is fight stick/controller support
3 because you want to keep giving them money for making an awesome game

hwalker84

There is only 3 real reasons to double dip

1 is if your prefer steam as your storefront
2 is fight stick/controller support
3 because you want to keep giving them money for making an awesome game

Number 3 is my reason but I won't without some sort of ability to get my progress from the Xbox/UWP version.

NEO0MJ

£22.49 and they still have micro transactions. Ugh.

They're used to boost yourself in the World tour mode and to unlock costume parts early. You still get all the characters, stages, modes, and some costumes without having to spend any extra dimes.

$40 is too much for any 4 year old game. I don't care how many patches or characters it got. Especially in this market today where there's so much quality to choose from and AAA games can be found for sub-$40 on preorders.

I guess let's give it a month or two and revisit this thread with Steamspy facts.

Skyrim and GTA5 would like to have a word with you.

If a game is good and there is no sequel, there is no reason it MUST be $10 3 years after launch. There's really not a lot like it on Xbox One, and it's still easily one of the top fighting games on the market.

JarrodL

So wait. XB1 controller is not supported and doesn't work with the Steam version??

According to the Store page, it does:

ADDITIONAL PC SPECIFICATIONS:
• Additional supported peripherals: Windows-compatible keyboard, Xbox One Controller for Windows, Xbox 360 Controller for Windows, and Xbox 360 Fight Sticks.

NeoRaider

According to the Store page, it does:

ADDITIONAL PC SPECIFICATIONS:
• Additional supported peripherals: Windows-compatible keyboard, Xbox One Controller for Windows, Xbox 360 Controller for Windows, and Xbox 360 Fight Sticks.

Whew... someone here mentioned that it doesn't.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Well Injustice 2 Story mode is getting a lot of praise.

the depth of story is basically an advanced variation of Street Fighter 2.

which is basically what it was like for the original KI

it's not cinematic, is really what he means. It's a tournament fighter and is meant more for player vs player.

Edit: hahah holy shit they used the KI launch trailer on steam so it still says coming soon right before spinal and fulgore are shown lmao

Remind me, why I need a xbox console again?
Looks like you don't need a reminder if you are a high end PC guy...

I need a XBOX Console because I'm a console gamer only and have no interest in ever doing PC gaming!

Different strokes for different folks I guess!

There are millions of us happy console only gamers out here! Lol

Top Bottom