• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct | Review Thread

To be fair, DOTA's model is really only sustainable by companies like Valve. They have enough other income sources and a large enough built in audience that it works for them. Blizzard is probably the only other company that could do that.

Yea, I can see that. I think only Capcom and SF5 could do it if they tried in the fighting game realm as the SF brand has the international pull and sales numbers.

Man, I wonder what SF5 is brewing, monetary set up wise.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yea, I can see that. I think only Capcom and SF5 could do it if they tried in the fighting game realm as the SF brand has the international pull and sales numbers.

I fully expect them to mess with payment models, but are you expecting Capcom of all people to be so generous? :p

MrKayle

In LoL you can get costumes for free because you get in game money

there are very, very few LoL skins you get for free. like UFO corki was given to all players years ago. but this is very rare. 99% of the time you can only get skins in LoL by paying with real $.

does KI have skins available for free or only with real $?

I still hate Valve for their crates/unusuals crap. Unless LoL also has something similar (I think I read somewhere about removing skins from being purchasable/limited time ones?) If so then I guess all F2P is scummy garbage :(

MrKayle

I still hate Valve for their crates/unusuals crap. Unless LoL also has something similar (I think I read somewhere about removing skins from being purchasable/limited time ones?) If so then I guess all F2P is scummy garbage :(

scummy garbage? the game is completely free for everyone to play, all with the same power. if you want a cosmetic change, you pay with money.

you're entitled to have an opinion, but it seems like you're quite negative.

Actual matches, like in arcades before training mode was a thing

I'm in my 30's and played through that arcade era already. It was fun, but it is better how it is now. I don't think we should go back design wise in that regard. Training mode is a valuable tool. And a stink would be raised (justifiably) if any FG dev went backwards in that regard in support of a payment model.

scummy garbage? the game is completely free for everyone to play, all with the same power. if you want a cosmetic change, you pay with money.

you're entitled to have an opinion, but it seems like you're quite negative.

Just because it's cosmetic doesn't mean it's not game content.

And I expect to be able to access game content without paying money, when a game claims to be free.

I still want fighting games to be free so I don't get burned on netcode quality/game quality like I have been this gen, but this thread has taught me that there has never been a F2P game that does it perfectly.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
there are very, very few LoL skins you get for free. like UFO corki was given to all players years ago. but this is very rare. 99% of the time you can only get skins in LoL by paying with real $.

You get 9 custom parts per character that's available in the $20 version. If you get the $40, on top of everything else you get 3 more per character.

Papercuts

It has accessories and colors that you can get with ingame money. They do have costumes but they have yet to show them, so not sure on that.

They do seem to be locking a single set of accessories per character along with a costume for the ultra package.

gatti-man

Just because it's cosmetic doesn't mean it's not game content.

And I expect to be able to access game content without paying money, when a game claims to be free.

I still want fighting games to be free so I don't get burned on netcode quality/game quality like I have been this gen, but this thread has taught me that there has never been a F2P game that does it perfectly.

You have unrealistic expectations.

Phreaker

I'm still confused about the pricing, like does the $39.99 version already have all the costumes and items unlocked? Do you not have access to them in the $19.99 version? I want access to all the costumes and items, but I would prefer to have to unlock them by playing the game. Do I want the $20 or $40 version?

You have unrealistic expectations.

Yeah, just like with expecting DLC to be created after the physical media has gone gold/been printed instead of created with the rest of the stuff and cut out, I have a very idealized view of business model stuff in games. But if they (both DLC and F2P) were used "correctly" by my standards...well then I'd have a very high opinion of the games that did, I suppose.

Papercuts

I'm still confused about the pricing, like does the $39.99 version already have all the costumes and items unlocked? Do you not have access to them in the $19.99 version? I want access to all the costumes and items, but I would prefer to have to unlock them by playing the game. Do I want the $20 or $40 version?

$40 has a single set of accessories already unlocked. Still have to build up ingame currency to get the rest. Also comes with original KI.

$20 version doesn't seem like it has a way to get that specific set of accessories without paying on top.

Hard to comment on the costume(s) as we haven't seen them yet, but it sounds like the ultra one comes with a set that I would assume would be unlocked at the start

Dai101

Banned
GET HYPE

@ThatMikeRossGuy: Anyone going to be at the Microsoft Killer Instinct event in...Colorado!? If so, see you there :).

@JWonggg: Played 4 hours of KI with @Floejisan today! Pretty fun! Shout outs to the FGC Microsoft store worker who was teaching us!

Dai101

Banned

keit4

Banned
Eurogamer 7/10

Killer Instinct won't win awards. At the end of this new generation, it won't turn up in the lists of greatest console launch titles ever. And it won't cause the established fighting game creators - the Capcoms and Namco Bandais of this world - to fear for their jobs. But its heart - and its business model - are in the right place. Success!

Kotaku : Not Yet

dr7wXv9.png

Kind of a bad review IMO. He spends almost half the review harping on the "f2p" model, mentions that each character is $5 to buy, mentions the $40 version but never once mentions that you get all 8 characters for $20. He only added the MS price chart after people in the comments pointed this out to him. He only spends two paragraph out of twelve actually talking about the game's mechanics and modes. He also mentioned that the first thing he does with a new fighting game is blow through the single player to see character endings and how important large rosters are for character and world building (nothing wrong with that) so that didn't help his view of it lol.

Alpha_eX

In the exact same boat, I don't want to pay to unlock everything so what's the deal?

dr7wXv9.png

Kind of a bad review IMO. He spends almost half the review harping on the "f2p" model, mentions that each character is $5 to buy, mentions the $40 version but never once mentions that you get all 8 characters for $20. He only added the MS price chart after people in the comments pointed this out to him. He only spends two paragraph out of twelve actually talking about the game's mechanics and modes. He also mentioned that the first thing he does with a new fighting game is blow through the single player to see character endings and how important large rosters are for character and world building (nothing wrong with that) so that didn't help his view of it lol.

Worst is he admits he only played 30 matches, thats like 30mins of gameplay

Toxi

Banned

dr7wXv9.png

The comments about the bumpers worry me. Wouldn't those apply even more to FPS titles? Have any critics complained about slippery bumpers in Xbone reviews? It seems like an issue that wouldn't just negatively impact Killer Instinct, it would negatively impact the entire library.

The rest is the typical fighting game review. Not enough characters, no story mode yet, fun to play with few specifics, etc. See Skullgirls for similar reviews. It's mainly the part about the Xbone controller that gives me pause.

Top Bottom