• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLER INSTINCT - Sadira trailer - ORCHID TEASE

Silky

Banned
So with the Xbox One Tour thing happening, I'm at least hoping that I'll be able to make it there for a chance to play KI.

.la1n

Guest characters are fine as an after thought but I would hope the first order of business would be ensuring you can bring back the original cast first. It's not a huge roster so I don't think fans asking for them all to return is too much, especially not for a fighter being released in 2013 .

derFeef

Just read from a GAFer in the Forza 5 thread that KI is playable at an event here, but I have no time tomorrow, I hate my life right now.

Lmao you would rather have these guys then guest characters?

tusk.jpg

Maya2.png

Kimwu-stand.gif

Guest characters are the staple of modern fighting games. MK got Kratos and Freddy Kreuger, Soul Calibur had Star Wars peeps, and Street Fighter got Final Fight guest stars. It makes sense that KI would get some Xbox characters.

tusk.jpg

Maya2.png

Kimwu-stand.gif

Guest characters are the staple of modern fighting games. MK got Kratos and Freddy Kreuger, Soul Calibur had Star Wars peeps, and Street Fighter got Final Fight guest stars. It makes sense that KI would get some Xbox characters.

It's all subjective. I would indeed rather have characters from the KI universe than guests. I find that corny. yoda in soul caliber? come on....

ShinAmano

Guest characters are fine as an after thought but I would hope the first order of business would be ensuring you can bring back the original cast first. It's not a huge roster so I don't think fans asking for them all to return is too much, especially not for a fighter being released in 2013 .

Agree...but I am also fine with any guest character they add.

.la1n

Yes I would rather have characters who were part of the original KI lore as opposed to guest characters. I will admit I care less about the KI 2 additions compared to seeing the original KI cast. If we saw guest characters before the original cast got representation that would be pretty laughable.

Yes I would rather have characters who were part of the original KI lore as opposed to guest characters. I will admit I care less about the KI 2 additions compared to seeing the original KI cast. If we saw guest characters before the original cast got representation that would be pretty laughable.

It's pretty much a given that all ten originals will eventually be added to the game. You get 5 of them at launch and the other 5 will either be split between the 2 characters that are added a few months after launch or will be part of the Season 2 wave.

royalan

tusk.jpg

Maya2.png

Kimwu-stand.gif

I think the only difference here is that Mortal Kombat and Soul Calibur were already established franchises that saw regular releases before they started introducing guest characters. Double Helix, on the other hand, are resurrecting a classic franchise that hasn't seen a release in almost two decades. I think the onus should be on modernizing the franchise while being as true to it as possible. Not throwing in guest characters at the expense of the original roster. Especially since this is the franchise DH is using to prove their mettle as a quality dev house. Be true to it.

Besides, I think DH has done a lot of great work here and they should be acknowledged for it (I've even warmed up to Sadira), but I feel like the second they start introducing guest characters that's all the general impression of the game is going to be. Oh! They added Darth Vader/Kronos/Whoever to the game! I can't wait to see how he plays!

I think they should have the courage to let Killer Instinct stand on its own, at least initially.

For guest characters, I'm perfectly fine with them because this is first and foremost a fighting game that's supposed to be fun. If they can manufacture a way to fit a beloved Battletoad into the KI universe, then why not? It's not like we'll be seeing a Forza car at time soon.

The only way I would be offended by this is if I put a great deal of investment into the story. I get that people want the KI characters to receive all the love first (which I agree with for the most part), but a couple guest characters along the way could benefit the game IMO.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
For guest characters, I'm perfectly fine with them because this is first and foremost a fighting game that's supposed to be fun. If they can manufacture a way to fit a beloved Battletoad into the KI universe, then why not? It's not like we'll be seeing a Forza car at time soon.

The only way I would be offended by this is if I put a great deal of investment into the story. I get that people want the KI characters to receive all the love first (which I agree with for the most part), but a couple guest characters along the way could benefit the game IMO.

well ultratech had a time machine for KI2

who is to say they won't have an alternate quantum universe transportation apparatus? :p

VariantX

tusk.jpg

Maya2.png

Kimwu-stand.gif

FF and SF are the same universe actually.

LTWheels

Who says that Battletoads can not be in the same universe of KI? At some point a conscious decision by the developers had to be made to link FF and SF together. The same can apply to KI.

ItIsOkBro

tusk.jpg

Maya2.png

Kimwu-stand.gif

I don't want to see the new KI2 characters tbh, they were only there because the game was set in prehistoric times.

What? Final Fight characters have been in Street Fighter games since Street Fighter Alpha, that was back in 1995. Also Final Fight and Street Fighter story wise are in the same universe. I wouldn't say they are guest starring.

What? Final Fight characters have been in Street Fighter games since Street Fighter Alpha, that was back in 1995. Also Final Fight and Street Fighter story wise are in the same universe. I wouldn't say they are guest starring.

Since when were they part of the same universe? You just said the first time they were in a SF game was Alpha. Both series were much older than that game. Obviously a decision was made in '95 to say they were in the same universe what is stopping Rare/Dopuble Helix to make the decision that Joanna Dark and Battletoads exist in the same universe as KI? They can even say that Perfect Dark is the future of the KI verse and Battletoads were created by Ultratech

Since when were they part of the same universe? You just said the first time they were in a SF game was Alpha. Both series were much older than that game. Obviously a decision was made in '95 to say they were in the same universe what is stopping Rare/Dopuble Helix to make the decision that Joanna Dark and Battletoads exist in the same universe as KI? They can even say that Perfect Dark is the future of the KI verse and Battletoads were created by Ultratech

Read up on your history. Haggar was was in the Street Fighter tournament before he became mayor of Metro City. This information was also revealed in an official Capcom Street Fighter book. I don't really care what Rare and Double Helix does with whatever. I'm only talking about Street Fighter and Final Fight. If you ever played Final Fight it even says that Haggar was a Street Fighter contender.

Read up on your history. Haggar was was in the Street Fighter tournament before he became mayor of Metro City. This information was also revealed in an official Capcom Street Fighter book.

I'll research it now but I don't think that was the original intention of either franchise and was something Capcom made up later.

From Wikipedia:

The game began development as a sequel to the original Street Fighter released in 1987, but the genre was switched from a fighting game to a beat 'em up and the title was changed following the success of Double Dragon. The Final Fight development team later worked on the original Street Fighter II and some of the characters from Final Fight later appeared as playable fighters in other entries of the franchise such as the Street Fighter Alpha sub-series.

That's like saying Nights takes place in the same universe as Sonic the Hedgehog because Sonic team made both games and there are references to Nights in later Sega games (including the new game Sonic Lost Worlds)

and like I said if Rare/DH/MS decide that the guest stars also exist in the KI universe then thats that.

I'd say go create all the original characters, then of course a new character to add into Killer instinct. Then add in a guest character.

I would lose my shit if it was Rash playable.

I'll research it now but I don't think that was the original intention of either franchise and was something Capcom made up later.

From Wikipedia:

That's like saying Nights takes place in the same universe as Sonic the Hedgehog because Sonic team made both games and there are references to Nights in later Sega games (including the new game Sonic Lost Worlds)

Street Fighter 1987
Final Fight 1989

I wouldn't say that is much later.

VariantX

Read up on your history. Haggar was was in the Street Fighter tournament before he became mayor of Metro City. This information was also revealed in an official Capcom Street Fighter book. I don't really care what Rare and Double Helix does with whatever. I'm only talking about Street Fighter and Final Fight. If you ever played Final Fight it even says that Haggar was a Street Fighter contender.

Also remember that before it was renamed final fight, it was called street fighter 88

Also remember that before it was renamed final fight, it was called street fighter 88

Yup forgot that to.

What does that have to do with them existing int he same universe? I'm saying that decision was made later

Okay now you are just nitpicking and changing your words. I'm wasting my time replying to you. Keep believing what ever silly little logic you want to come up with. I'm not going to keep replying to you.

Okay now you are just nitpicking and changing your words. I'm wasting my time replying to you. Keep believing what ever silly little logic you want to come up with. I'm not going to keep replying to you.

No i'm not.

Let me give you an example. Devil May Cry began life as a Resident Evil game before becoming it's own IP. The game came out 2 years after RE Code Veronica. That doesn't mean it exists in the same universe as Resident Evil. Even if they eventually put Dante as a bonus character in Mercenary mode.

That's what your trying to argue and it makes no sense.

No i'm not.

Let me give you an example. Devil May Cry began life as a Resident Evil game before becoming it's own IP. The game came out 2 years after RE Code Veronica. That doesn't mean it exists in the same universe as Resident Evil. Even if they eventually put Dante as a bonus character in Mercenary mode.

Except Devil May Cry has never made reference of being in the same universe with Resident Evil where Final Fight has done it with Street Fighter. I suggest you taking reading comprehension courses.

That's what your trying to argue and it makes no sense.

That's not what he is arguing, you're the one who is perceiving it that way. I see exactly what he means.

Odrion

Banned
They did a much better job updating Orchid's suit than Netherrealm did with their female MK Ninja characters.

Also while a new character taking up one of the six slots is kinda a bummer, she seems to fit pretty well.

Durock

It's plausible for there to be Rare guest characters without even having to blend the universes together. I'm writing a series of articles about it over at Killer Instinct Central and here's an example of what I mean. This is in regards to the Battletoads:

Did you know the Battletoads are actually human? That’s right. The Battletoads were human video game testers testing a video game called–naturally–Battletoads, that became a part of the game itself as the Battletoads Zitz, Rash and Pimple. Now imagine an alternate version of this story that would fit with the lore of Killer Instinct. Ultra Tech taking a human and performing anthropomorphic tests on him that results in the creation of a Battletoad. The Battletoad is entered into the KI tournament to see how he performs with the promise of being returned to his human form should he successfully defeat his opponents. Ultra Tech has some of the best scientists in the world, having spliced human and reptile DNA to create the intelligent Riptor and the even creating the fire being Cinder. So it wouldn’t be far-fetched to believe they could develop a human-turned-toad battle warrior, right?

And for another guest character, Pummel Weed from Kameo:

Killer Instinct is known for having random, off-the-wall characters that really don’t make sense together, and yet they do. Werewolves, aliens, cyborgs, ancient warriors, Amazonian Queens… It really is out there isn’t it? With that in mind, a living, breathing plant capable of throwing punches and kicking ass certainly wouldn’t be an unimaginable new entry to the roster. Pummel Weed from Kameo: Elements of Power would feel right at home with the rest of the KI cast. Imagine that Ultra Tech discovers a new plant species displaying human intelligence in a remote region of one of the world’s jungles. Using their scientific wit, Ultra Tech combines actual human DNA with the plant and Pummel Weed is born.

I think if you look at scenarios such as that, then many Rare characters could fit in and make sense.

Top Bottom