• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killing is Harmless: A whole book of critical analysis on 1 game (Spec Ops The Line)

Eidan

;)

While we're on the topic, I think what Francois Truffaut said on the subject of "anti-war" films is even more applicable to games.

Maybe. I'd say Grave of the Fireflies proves him wrong. As does Hearts and Minds, but I'm sure he wasn't thinking of documentaries.

Eidan

Whether he intended to or not, that motherfucker created an anti-war film. And a damn fine one at that. Maybe that's the secret.

KDR_11k

If you feel all of these games are identical, wouldn't that suggest that you just don't care much about the genre?

True, I don't like the genre but I played through Spec Ops and a few others. Some I quit because I didn't like them, some I continued but that doesn't match up with the supposed quality of the games. I suspect it may have to do with the genre's setpiece design style since in games I'm kinda blind to decorations (i.e. non gameplay related stuff during gameplay sequences) and I think people might rate these games based on the window dressing.

since when did call of duty become a cover shooter

Since regenerating health plus enemies with hitscan weapons plus level design littered with cover? The perspective and presence or absence of a "use cover" button doesn't really make a difference, gameplay consists of finding a piece of cover and hiding when damaged to recover health while enemy hitscan weapons prevent any sort of "cover is for grotz" approach as you cannot avoid taking damage faster than you regenerate regardless of your skill. You must peek out, land a few attacks and hide again.

To say that the way Spec Ops contextualizes what happens during gameplay is merely "aesthetic" really just shows a lack of regard for storytelling in gaming as a whole.

No logical person would describe the differences between The Green Berets and Platoon as merely cosmetic since they both are about the Vietnam war, so why do it with a game? The way a story handles its subject matter is important, and shouldn't just be scoffed at as meaningless. Hell, this is the first time I've ever heard someone even suggest that it was.

But film is only about aesthetics. There's different structures in terms of how it's conveyed but in the end, no matter what that structure is, you're consuming all film exactly the same way and so it's easier to compare. Gaming on the other hand is about mechanics. What you're doing from game to game can be wildly different. Battlefield Vietnam and Men of War Vietnam are both games that are aesthetically about Vietnam but they're vastly different. Battlefield is about teamwork between people while Men of War is about real time tactics. Now take two games like Left 4 Dead and Payday: The Heist, they're about cooperation and team work against AI even though one is about the zombie apocalypse and the other is about bank robbery. There's no other medium out there where we have this kind of dissonance.

I don't think story is completely meaningless but I do think making it the main attraction is misguided. It should be there to add texture to the world and give context to player but when it's incredibly linear and used as a reward for completing game play sections, it can make the player feel like they're turning a crank to make the movie happen.

Eidan

But film is only about aesthetics. There's different structures in terms of how it's conveyed but in the end, no matter what that structure is, you're consuming all film exactly the same way and so it's easier to compare. Gaming on the other hand is about mechanics. What you're doing from game to game can be wildly different. Battlefield Vietnam and Men of War Vietnam are both games that are aesthetically about Vietnam but they're vastly different. Battlefield is about teamwork between people while Men of War is about real time tactics. Now take two games like Left 4 Dead and Payday: The Heist, they're about cooperation and team work against AI even though one is about the zombie apocalypse and the other is about bank robbery. There's no other medium out there where we have this kind of dissonance.

I don't think story is completely meaningless but I do think making it the main attraction is misguided. It should be there to add texture to the world and give context to player but when it's incredibly linear and used as a reward for completing game play sections, it can make the player feel like they're turning a crank to make the movie happen.

That's all good, but it's more of a general preference in how games are designed instead of anything specifically involving Spec Ops. I still feel that to criticize Spec Ops for playing like the games it's critiquing misses the point by a country mile.

Top Bottom