• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 10th anniv. celebrations + Fan-favorite "The Academy" map coming soon (FREE)

EL CUCO

Please god, let Shadow Fall be Sony's last Killzone game.
God, please...
Og1NB7Z.gif

Honestly I hope they'll continue use SF formula, but with some tweaks in level design and story telling

Agreed. SF did some very good things but was unfortunately inconsistent. The opening 2 levels I found pretty bad, but those middle chapters were bloody fantastic, specifically 4, 5, 6. They also have a really good story/lore in there but need some people to help them tell it better.

On the technical side, they are absolute wizards. A year on and I still don't have anything on my PS4 that looks better.

SerTapTap

Agreed. SF did some very good things but was unfortunately inconsistent. The opening 2 levels I found pretty bad, but those middle chapters were bloody fantastic, specifically 4, 5, 6. They also have a really good story/lore in there but need some people to help them tell it better.

On the technical side, they are absolute wizards. A year on and I still don't have anything on my PS4 that looks better.

Yeah the KZ lore is pretty sweet. But they need to do something with it, it takes a backseat to "ISA Dudebro kicks down doors and shoots dudes". Also Rico. Man, fuck Rico.

Agreed they're graphical wizards. They need to work on cooler environments though. Killzone 3 has this amazing alien jungle with giant spider plants and shit, it's amazing. But 70% of the game takes place in generic concrete bombed out cities. SF has better environment variety at least, but I'd still like to see them take it to more interesting places. I was super disappointed that I was never attacked by a giant Helghan spider in Killzone 2, I could swear that whole mines area was leading up to that, nope.

Hiko

Banned
So they're going to butcher Radec Academy even more than they did in KZ3.

I wouldn't be surprised if KZ2 is still the most actively played online.

CozMick

Banned
Is it normal to have 2 different KZ:SF game tiles on the xmb when downloading the full game?

1 is initially 12gb and 1 is 7gb :/

AwRy108

Really enjoy the franchise, despite the boring campaign in Shadowfall.

Killzone Mercenary is one of the best portable games of all time: fun, unique campaign, terrific MP, and stunning graphics. Yeah, I said it--come at me, GAF.

Also, it's a damn shame that the co-op mode and extra character class for Shadowfall were paid DLC, I bet a lot more people would've enjoyed them had they been on the disc.

SerTapTap

Is it normal to have 2 different KZ:SF game tiles on the xmb when downloading the full game?

1 is initially 12gb and 1 is 7gb :/

you mean in the download list? One is the game one is the patch I would guess, it did that for some other game for me recently.

CozMick

Banned
you mean in the download list? One is the game one is the patch I would guess, it did that for some other game for me recently.

I got......

update file - 3gb

update file - 2gb

KZ - 12gb

KZ- 7gb

When asking me to choose the single player or multiplayer to download first I had to choose both before it proceeded :/

FireSol

Yeah, lore is awesome and I'm still hope we will see the game when we play as a Helgast and in the final chapter we could kill Rico

VanWinkle

Best free post-launch support ever for a console FPS. But unfortunately, the game wasn't good at launch and it is still not amazing, so it will always struggle with a tiny player base.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
That's Radec Academy to you, sir. Hopefully they didn't completely butcher these classic maps like they did in KZ3.

SerTapTap

I got......

update file - 3gb

update file - 2gb

KZ - 12gb

KZ- 7gb

When asking me to choose the single player or multiplayer to download first I had to choose both before it proceeded :/

ohhh yeah that's probably single player AND multiplayer, I totally forgot about that feature. I own it on disk.

Yeah, lore is awesome and I'm still hope we will see the game when we play as a Helgast and in the final chapter we could kill Rico

Isn't the timeline far along enough that Rico's probably dead, of old age if nothing else? On the one hand I'd rather play as Helghast, but on the other I'm not sure it'd be the same to not hear the Helghast's awesome voice overs all the time.

Ape

Banned
And it all made way for this.

Probably one of my most memorable moments of last gen, watching that trailer destroyed my mind. Between that and the Madden PS2 reveal I haven't been the same. Nothing this gen has done it for me.

TaKeRx

I do have to applaud the fact that they are really giving a lot of good content. Only if the gameplay had as much effort put out.

They have done a very admiral job of continuing to release updates, considering nobody* is playing the game anymore.

Only a handful, really.

I would say, "+respect" but I'm sure they're getting paid well by Sony or whomever for these updates. It's not for the love of the game. That said, the game is much better than it was at launch, though game design means certain issues are inescapable in KZSF. It's fun to play now, and that's the bottom line. Pick it up in the bargain bin if you don't have it, boys.

Read the title and thought we were getting a killzone remaster like the halo collection. KZ2 multiplayer remaster would be a megaton. This is still cool though

Laws00

not a fan of the franchise but they've been hanging in there and i give them all the credit in the world

someones buying them lol

i actually just bought mercenaries for my vita

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I still thing that the game could become somewhat huge if they would give away the mp for plus members and actually patch the mp to be 100% 60fps. The core of the game is so strong...

Why celebrate mediocrity?
Kidding. Sort of...

I have never understood the success of and continuance of this franchise. I'm really looking forward to guerilla doing that new IP and hopefully making a great game. Killzone should go away.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I still thing that the game could become somewhat huge if they would give away the mp for plus members and actually patch the mp to be 100% 60fps. The core of the game is so strong...
MP framerate is a LOT better and there have been several patches since the last time I played. Still a blurfest though.

They have done a very admiral job of continuing to release updates, considering nobody* is playing the game anymore.

Only a handful, really.

I would say, "+respect" but I'm sure they're getting paid well by Sony or whomever for these updates. It's not for the love of the game. That said, the game is much better than it was at launch, though game design means certain issues are inescapable in KZSF. It's fun to play now, and that's the bottom line. Pick it up in the bargain bin if you don't have it, boys.
The hell? Every non-indie dev gets paid, how does that make them any less passionate?

Why celebrate mediocrity?
Kidding. Sort of...

I have never understood the success of and continuance of this franchise. I'm really looking forward to guerilla doing that new IP and hopefully making a great game. Killzone should go away.

An entire series should go away because you don't like it?

Its a good time to return to the party. They've been updating the game regularly - haven't touched it in a few months and when I jumped in the other night I saw new co-op modes (2 player and a hard difficulty), new maps (four of em) and some kind of a clan system for the normal PVP.

An entire series should go away because you don't like it?
Not really what I meant to say. I think Guerilla are extremely talented especially in making beautify games and I think they have tethered themselves to a (not so great) IP for far to long and I have hopes that they can do better. I bought every Killzone game on console except shadowfall and regretted every one of them. With the exception of Killzone 2 MP being pretty fun for a while I really did dislike the games. I am very glad to see guerilla do something else and hopefully do something fun and fresh for once.

So yeah I want Killzone to go away but only because I want guerilla to do something different and that is exactly what is happening.

Hexa

Not really what I meant to say. I think Guerilla are extremely talented especially in making beautify games and I think they have tethered themselves to a (not so great) IP for far to long and I have hopes that they can do better. I bought every Killzone game on console except shadowfall and regretted every one of them. With the exception of Killzone 2 MP being pretty fun for a while I really did dislike the games. I am very glad to see guerilla do something else and hopefully do something fun and fresh for once.

So yeah I want Killzone to go away but only because I want guerilla to do something different and that is exactly what is happening.

So I guess another studio that have shown themselves competent with the franchise means everyone wins. &#9786;

The game doesn't have COD numbers playing it, but it's got enough to enjoy the game and a dedicated following. KZ2 and 3 were same way for years, never had trouble getting into matches. You don't need tens of thousands of players online to enjoy a MP game that only supports 24 or less players at a time.

SF SP was a mess of design, but the MP was solid and the support for it has been stellar

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Yeah the KZ lore is pretty sweet. But they need to do something with it, it takes a backseat to "ISA Dudebro kicks down doors and shoots dudes". Also Rico. Man, fuck Rico.

Agreed they're graphical wizards. They need to work on cooler environments though. Killzone 3 has this amazing alien jungle with giant spider plants and shit, it's amazing. But 70% of the game takes place in generic concrete bombed out cities. SF has better environment variety at least, but I'd still like to see them take it to more interesting places. I was super disappointed that I was never attacked by a giant Helghan spider in Killzone 2, I could swear that whole mines area was leading up to that, nope.

That was only the very beginning of 3. Overall, 3 is a lot more varied in it's environments compared to two, and maybe even Shadowfall. The first one or two chapters are in a similar environment as 2, since it takes place directly after the end of 2. But then they go to the jungle, like you said, then there's a large portion of the game in a snowy environment, leading up to the infiltration of Stahl laboratories, which has that high-tech aesthetic about it. After that, you end up fighting through some trenches, similar to some portions of Killzone 1, then you go to this huge dump/junkyard/scrapheap area, then you fight around some blown up military establishments, taking down that giant MAWLR. Finally, the last portion of the game takes place in a space station with sections of no-gravity. Overall, there are like two (maybe three if you want to count the trench/bunker fighting) sections of the game that take part in bombed out cities.

I can understand people thinking that the story of 3 (or at least, the resolution & the characters) was(/were) stupid, and that's true enough. Plus the multiplayer was a mess, but the actual campaign was pretty fun to play through. Really cool that they had split screen too (though no online co-op was a misstep).

I might have to pick this up pretty soon. I think its going for right around $20 on Amazon these days.

Edit: $26.99 on Amazon, around $20 shipped used. I'll pick it up when it hits $19.99 new.

Deadstar

Read the title and thought we were getting a killzone remaster like the halo collection. KZ2 multiplayer remaster would be a megaton. This is still cool though

I would die for this. Killzone 2 multiplayer is the height of the series. It pains me that there were so many crybabies saying that it's too heavy or felt sluggish. Killzone 2 felt like it's own game, not a clone of something else. It was incredible. The matches I had....you just can't imagine how good it was...really brings a tear to my eye remembering back.

Top Bottom