• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 2 E3 2005 vs. E3 2007 Comparrison...MILLIONS of PICS...56k sorry!

godhandiscen said:
They met the trailer, or at least came closer than any other game has ever come. Anybody who says otherwise is just lying to himself.
Who's trying to get close to the Killzone E3 2005 trailer besides Guerilla?

Chiggs

tjhooker said:
I doubt it.
PS3 is on a 10 year life cycle.

But it certainly won't be the main focus for all of those years. Playstation 4, or whatever it's called, will be making you cream your jeans in half a decade's time.

Core407

Banned
dante786 said:
Look, KZ2 is probably the best looking game I've seen...from the brief showing. But to say it gets that close to the 05 trailer is crazy.

I just watched the two of them in motion, its no contest....the ACTUAL trailer is incredibly impressive, but the level of detail in textures and animation and effects is not close, and COME ON, HOW COULD IT BE.

This is the same thing that happened with motorstorm, delusional people kept telling themselves it exceeded the trailer, that kind of shit degrades whats been achieved here.

The spirit and feel has certainly be attained, and the game looks absolutely gorgeous, everything comes together extremely well, but it just does NOT look as good as that original completely CG trailer, and there is no way it could.

Not to detract though, because the way the game actually does look is phenomenal.

I'll agree that the trailer from '05 was a lot better but you got to realize - a lot of it just can't be done in an actual game. It's too cinematic for it to be playable and that's why I think that the '07 trailer is 95% of what we were expecting. The only thing I noticed in the new trailer is some of the textures which are a little blurred. The vehicle they drop in on - if you take a look a the textures on it - you will see a little lower resolution textures. The actual elements with HUD however, are friggin' ridiculous.

Striker: I'll admit the fire needs work but it's probably just placeholders. The fire effect in Lair was FINALLY changed after such a long time and it's almost close to release.

tjhooker said:
I doubt it.

PS3 is on a 10 year life cycle.

We got God of War 2 in year 7 of PS2's life.

I shudder to think what we'll see in year 10 of PS3's life when we're seeing genre defining games like KZ2 6 months after launch :drool

What first party titles did Sony announce for the PS2 today?

JdFoX187

Banned
Pardon me for asking...but what is so defining or inspiring about Killzone 2 other than the graphics? They look great to me, possibly the best I've seen on a console. But I want to actually hear about the gameplay and get first-hand impressions from people who have played before I jump on the bandwagon saying this is a "genre defining" game.

But I must say, Guerilla did go further than I ever thought they would with the graphics. It's pretty damn close.

Hunter D

Ether_Snake said:
Not considering how this is such early pre-alpha footage lol.
It is a big difference. If they were even close to matching the trailer on a tech level PC fanboys would be cutting their own throats with their DX10 cards.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Striker said:
Significant difference, IMO.

yeah. It's extremely obvious when you look at the fine details of the character models (the faces are extremely well done, but the upper body / arms are pretty standard looking on the gameplay trailer and are nowhere NEAR the target render, the detail in the city is markedly lowered in the real game, the effects like fire and smoke are nowhere close to the target render, etc).

Of course, I'm sure the fanboys will ignore that and stick to their claims. I still think Sony did more of a disservice to Guerilla by showing that target gameplay render which is totally unattainable on any modern console. The game is arguably the best-looking game out there right now, but it will continue to be stacked up against that trailer, rather than it's inferior-looking peers.

Chiggs

Hunter D said:
It is a big difference. If they were even close to matching the trailer on a tech level PC fanboys would be cutting their own throats with their DX10 cards.

:lol

This is true.

Phoenix

Nerevar said:
Of course, I'm sure the fanboys will ignore that and stick to their claims. I still think Sony did more of a disservice to Guerilla by showing that target gameplay render which is totally unattainable on any modern console. The game is arguably the best-looking game out there right now, but it will continue to be stacked up against that trailer, rather than it's inferior-looking peers.

I'm sure when I'm playing it, I will be thinking "damn this isn't 100% pixel perfect to the target renders".

PAYBACKill

Hmm, I agree, it isnt exactly the trailer.

but its close enough to bring back " GOODBYE, HALO" as a marketing slogan!!!!

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Phoenix said:
I'm sure when I'm playing it, I will be thinking "damn this isn't 100% pixel perfect to the target renders".

:rolleyes

I think this thread is a perfect example of my point. Don't get dizzy from all that spinning.

Core407

Banned
Nerevar said:
yeah. It's extremely obvious when you look at the fine details of the character models (the faces are extremely well done, but the upper body / arms are pretty standard looking on the gameplay trailer and are nowhere NEAR the target render, the detail in the city is markedly lowered in the real game, the effects like fire and smoke are nowhere close to the target render, etc).

It didn't need to reach target renders for people to go crazy for it. It just needed to pass a visual level not seen on the 360.

Phoenix

Nerevar said:
:rolleyes

I think this thread is a perfect example of my point. Don't get dizzy from all that spinning.

Who is spinning? Only a complete anal retard will be comparing this to the target renders in 2008 when this game ships.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
dante786 said:
Look, KZ2 is probably the best looking game I've seen...from the brief showing. But to say it gets that close to the 05 trailer is crazy.

I just watched the two of them in motion, its no contest....the ACTUAL trailer is incredibly impressive, but the level of detail in textures and animation and effects is not close, and COME ON, HOW COULD IT BE.

This is the same thing that happened with motorstorm, delusional people kept telling themselves it exceeded the trailer, that kind of shit degrades whats been achieved here.

The spirit and feel has certainly be attained, and the game looks absolutely gorgeous, everything comes together extremely well, but it just does NOT look as good as that original completely CG trailer, and there is no way it could.

Not to detract though, because the way the game actually does look is phenomenal.

This is all that needs to be said.

Did they re-create the orginal trailer 100%? no. BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER because the game looks absouletly phenomenal period. I'd say they got within about 87% of it, and that still allows us to say "haters owned".

Nevertheless, I will be picking up a PS3 before summers end.

tjhooker

Banned
Nerevar said:
I still think Sony did more of a disservice to Guerilla by showing that target gameplay render which is totally unattainable on any modern console. The game is arguably the best-looking game out there right now, but it will continue to be stacked up against that trailer, rather than it's inferior-looking peers.

Incorrect.

The game has 9-12 months left of development.

Given the resources and it's current pre-pre alpha status - meeting and even surpassing the 2K5 trailer is an almost definite.

Clearly the 2K5 trailer was done to spec as Sony indicated at the time and Guerrilla are on their way to (at the very least) meeting it.

Hunter D

Alkemist said:
Did they re-create the orginal trailer 100%? no. BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER because the game looks absouletly phenomenal period. I'd say they got within about 87% of it, and that still allows us to say "haters owned".
Hyperbole to the extreme pal. Love how you're stating percentage.

Does this game look great? Hell yes it does. Can it touch the trailer? On a tech level it doesn't touch the trailer. The mood and pace match the 05 trailer though.

There's no denying this looks good, but considering it's going to come out a full two years later on newer hardware than Gears of War? It doesn't look THAT good.

LittleTokyo said:
There's no denying this looks good, but considering it's going to come out a full two years later on newer hardware than Gears of War? It doesn't look THAT good.

Full two years? Gears came out November 06. Killzone will release early 08. That's not even 1.5 years.

The M.O.B

Since everyone is talking about all the good,I will list a few small probs

-some clearly flat stuff in the city and sky.
-you can see stuff filling in as you get closer
-first part has no AI running so it's naturally gonna look better
-some effects are clearly flat

Nothing out of the normal but just a few things they will most likely try to fix before whenever it comes out.Unfortunately not showing the original battle shows they were not able to do that part of it.
Crysis Wins(jk)

Drek

JdFoX187 said:
Pardon me for asking...but what is so defining or inspiring about Killzone 2 other than the graphics? They look great to me, possibly the best I've seen on a console. But I want to actually hear about the gameplay and get first-hand impressions from people who have played before I jump on the bandwagon saying this is a "genre defining" game.

But I must say, Guerilla did go further than I ever thought they would with the graphics. It's pretty damn close.
Well, Killzone was a very good (and underrated) gritty FPS and Killzone Liberation is a step outside the box for what the shooter genre is now centered around, a very good title in its own right. I'd say Guerilla has earned their stripes as quality developers of gameplay.

In fact, I'd say the biggest thing limiting the first KZ was lack of system power that forced the game to take on a smaller scope and less dynamic world than what you felt there should be. Given the significant jump in system power I'd expect a correlative jump in the quality of KZ2.

Grand Theft Auto III was a massive jump in its franchise because increased system power took gameplay mechanics that had been handicapped and gimped on previou hardware and let them be (closer to) fully realized. It wouldn't surprise me at all if shooters aiming for the epic battles of full on war, such as Killzone 2 and Halo 3, would see such a major jump now that we have hardware capable of handling large enough scale environs, NPCs, and effects to actually realize that setting.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Hunter D said:
Hyperbole to the extreme pal. Love how you're stating percentage.

Does this game look great? Hell yes it does. Can it touch the trailer? On a tech level it doesn't touch the trailer. The mood and pace match the 05 trailer though.

........thanks for agreeing with me, and god forbid I use percentages off the top of my head to give a representation of how close i'd say they were. Cut the semantics.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
i really hope they Get the Explosions looking better

my hopes are up for that, LAIR and Uncharted improved theres

Phoenix

tjhooker said:
Incorrect.

The game has 9-12 months left of development.

Given the resources and it's current pre-pre alpha status - meeting and even surpassing the 2K5 trailer is an almost definite.

Nah, I wouldn't go there. The number of polys they will need to emulate those curved surfaces and the mechanics of the flames in the original demo are not something I see them attaining before launch. They have 9-12 months before they go to package and ship, they don't have that much time left for development.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Phoenix said:
Nah, I wouldn't go there. The number of polys they will need to emulate those curved surfaces and the mechanics of the flames in the original demo are not something I see them attaining before launch. They have 9-12 months before they go to package and ship, they don't have that much time left for development.

Fixing stuff like special effects is the easiest thing to do, one of the less risky changes you can do if you control it properly resources-wise. It's easy to fix explosions or fire effects, etc.

Anyway this game looks godly, can't wait to see more environments. There's so much detail. Then add to this the multiplayer!

The M.O.B

The multiplayer(I'm assuming there will be some) could be really neat if they had you and your team controlling the craft to the LZ as the other players shoot down rockets and snipers.Then once you land the real battle would start.

Mugen

Banned
Hunter D said:
The realtime stuff shown this E3 looks great, but on a technical level this is not in the same league as the old trailer. Old trailer had a much higher poly count, better animation, and better effects. It basically had better everything.

Indeed, old 2005 trailer had much higher poly count, better animation, better everything. The new trailer looks good but not does come come close to the old one. At best within 60-70%. Those small comparison pics are misleading. All one has to do is to watch the two trailers in HD and it will be very apparent that the old trailer is in a class of its own.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
~Devil Trigger~ said:
i really hope they Get the Explosions looking better

my hopes are up for that, LAIR and Uncharted improved theres

well according the the impressions of the GDC demo they were JUST as impressive and that was one aspect that reached the trailer... maybe they just didn't add them for this trailer? Who knows we'll know soon enough, I expect alot more media in the next months.

TigersFan

Phoenix said:
I don't think anyone is talking about pixel perfect stuff here. The animation in the new vids isn't even close to the trailer. The enemies and your team in the trailer all seem to have procedurally generated animations (enemies clutch onto stuff when they're falling) that's all left out. The level detail looks far less than the trailer, maybe just because the real gameplay is darker and smokier, I dunno. Overall the whole thing feels less cinematic, which is weird because the trailer was designed to look like gameplay.

I dunno. To each his own. I watched 'em both in a row. One is definately leaps and bounds beyond the other.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Mugen said:
Indeed, old 2005 trailer had much higher poly count, better animation, better everything. The new trailer looks good but not does come come close to the old one. At best within 60-70%. Those small comparison pics are misleading. All one has to do is to watch the two trailers in HD and it will be very apparent that the old trailer is in a class of its own.

Eh, damage control. This DOES come close. The only difference that actually matters is the interaction between the character, the rest is close enough. I mean this IS the best FPS looking game ever after Crysis, and certainly the best looking FPS on consoles.

TigersFan said:
I don't think anyone is talking about pixel perfect stuff here. The animation in the new vids isn't even close to the trailer. The enemies and your team in the trailer all seem to have procedurally generated animations (enemies clutch onto stuff when they're falling) that's all left out. The level detail looks far less than the trailer, maybe just because the real gameplay is darker and smokier, I dunno. Overall the whole thing feels less cinematic, which is weird because the trailer was designed to look like gameplay.

I dunno. To each his own. I watched 'em both in a row. One is definately leaps and bounds beyond the other.

K, let's talk about the game again when it's close to release. I remember people saying "HALO3 screens are ALPHA" until like three weeks ago. Killzone 2 is FAR from done, and it looks incredible.

And no the level of detail is nowhere less than the 05 trailer, it's the same.

Phoenix

The M.O.B said:
The multiplayer(I'm assuming there will be some) could be really neat if they had you and your team controlling the craft to the LZ as the other players shoot down rockets and snipers.Then once you land the real battle would start.

Brings back memories of the KING!

510Z5G04QGL._SS500_.jpg

The M.O.B

I think almost all of us can say those graphics are some of the best so far,but will we be able to say the same about the gameplay?

Redbeard

Banned
It's no closer to the old trailer than any game would be. Things like the color palette and blur are what makes it resemble the trailer, but there's no point where you actually think you might be looking at CG.

Phoenix

Ether_Snake said:
Fixing stuff like special effects is the easiest thing to do, one of the less risky changes you can do if you control it properly resources-wise. It's easy to fix explosions or fire effects, etc.

Sure its very easy to do, but lets be realistic. There are some people here who are simply being delusional about how far things will go. The game does live up to the spirit of the trailer, and graphically its pretty close. The little nuances like "people doing extra animations" and such could certainly be captured as bipedal animation scripts are tiny compare to even the textures on one of the characters.

In summary, what they have done is exceptional. Its very close to the trailer in the areas that really matter at this stage, but lets not get crazy and talk about meeting or exceeding the prerendered trailer which was rendering in seconds (at best) per frame. You're not getting there.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Redbeard said:
It's no closer to the old trailer than any game would be. Things like the color palette and blur are what makes it resemble the trailer, but there's no point where you actually think you might be looking at CG.

They could get the same palette if they wanted. That's no big issue:p This time around the sky was completely darkened due to the weather-based weapons used by the enemy.

Anyway I think the artistic direction really sets the game apart.

Mugen

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Eh, damage control. This DOES come close. The only difference that actually matters is the interaction between the character, the rest is close enough. I mean this IS the best FPS looking game ever after Crysis, and certainly the best looking FPS on consoles.

K, let's talk about the game again when it's close to release. I remember people saying "HALO3 screens are ALPHA" until like three weeks ago. Killzone 2 is FAR from done, and it looks incredible.

And no the level of detail is nowhere less than the 05 trailer, it's the same.

You said the only difference that matters is the character interaction and that the rest is close enough. I don't care about that. If you feel the graphics are close enough then that good for you. All I'm saying is that the old 05 trailer is definitely way beyond this new trailer. Graphics are good, yeah, but definitely not close to the old trailer which is understandable because its on a league of its own.

Also, dude, you should get your eyes checked.

radjago

It reminds me of the fidelity achieved by the GRAW games in matching their target renders. The lighting and textures aren't quite up to that level and the environments seem a bit tighter and restrictive. Not a perfect match, but it captures the look and feel pretty well.

Snah

Banned
The most hilarious thing about this situation is that Killzone delivered the closest accurate representation of nearly all the E3 2005 trailers. No one was expecting that considering it was probably the most absurd trailer at the show that year.

Sure, you can find minor details (such as texture quality on the clothing, more rounded polygons, etc) that look better in the CG film, but ultimately it really doesn't matter. The game catches the look, the feel, and artistic quality almost perfectly.

And I agree with Phil when he said that some parts of it look better than the trailer. I feel the overall interaction of the enemies being hit by bullets is better, I think some of the animation is better, the lighting is a lot more impressive to me, and the overall environmental effects / artistic design is better.... So yeah, I actually think the E3 2007 trailer looks better overall in terms of an aesthetic sense.

It looks like a gritty blade runner in a war theater setting...looks incredible.

zoku88

_leech_ said:
Imagine any game released in 2010. We will say wow constantly.
Actually, I'm sure after the first couple of times, the wow factor will go away and we'll all be looking for the next big thing (with visuals.)

I can't even believe we are talking about it. That right there says GG has reached a technical milestone.

I don't even care about the graphics anymore. I've seen enough to satisfy me. Just keep giving me that frenetic, chaotic battlefield vibe, and make the gameplay good, and I'm in.

Top Bottom