• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 2 E3 2005 vs. E3 2007 Comparrison...MILLIONS of PICS...56k sorry!

iamblades

There are significant differences between them, but it still good enough to where it is impressive on it's own.

It's definitely closer than I was expecting.

Kid Chameleon said:
Was just thinking - has Sony given a release date yet?
It's supposed to be somewhere between 4th and 1st quarter iirc, but given how liberal everyone's been this gen about umm... ****ing lying about release dates, I'd guess Fall 08.

And I think I definently bitched about this in this thread, but easily the most disappointing thing about the trailer is the lack of skirtted Helgas. CG when does the one in the video show up? I only see some Big Daddy look-a-likes and a couple guys in trench coats.

Sorry but if I posted 640x360 side by side comparisons Halo 2007 and 2006 trailers would look identical as well. Stop comparing thumbnail sized images. It's graphically very nice but not up there with the 2005 trailer. Watch the two back to back and you'll know what I mean, the texture detail, animation, fire effects, particle effects and lighting are not comparable. It's pretty much the same stupid knee-jerk reaction to Motorstorm's unveiling - people arguing it looked even BETTER than the CG trailer. Sorry guys, no.

tahrikmili said:
Sorry but if I posted 640x360 side by side comparisons Halo 2007 and 2006 trailers would look identical as well. Stop comparing thumbnail sized images. It's graphically very nice but not up there with the 2005 trailer. Watch the two back to back and you'll know what I mean, the texture detail, animation, fire effects, particle effects and lighting are not comparable. It's pretty much the same stupid knee-jerk reaction to Motorstorm's unveiling - people arguing it looked even BETTER than the CG trailer. Sorry guys, no.
PROVE IT! :hippo

gibby

You know, I heard about the controversy regarding the 05 trailer but I never had the chance to see it until earlier today. I never played Killzone on the PS2 and the first time I played a Killzone title was on my PSP.

Today was the first day I saw the Killzone 2 trailer which was done in-game. I was very impressed and I loved the look and the mood it created. However, when speaking with a good friend who is a 360 faithful, he was dissing me by calling me a PS3 fanboy because I work for Sony. He was more impressed with the Halo 3 trailer. My first comment to that was Sony doesn't pay me enough to defend the PS3 to the death. LOL! Besides, if I was such a big fanboy, why did I even bother to purchase a 360?

He then told me to check out the 05 trailer and asked me for my honest opinion. To him, the lies Sony fed people regarding that demo made him jaded against Sony. My reply to him afterwards was this:

In the 05 trailer, I see a studio that had to show a concept. It being early on in development, artists were given an estimated budget regarding polygons, textures, fx, etc. While art was busy creating assets for the game, code was also ramping up. However, on the code side, the engine wasn't progressing fast enough to be shown playable on the PS3. Because many assumptions were made as to what the PS3 can do, my guess is, they felt it would be alright to create a CG trailer and call it final because they really felt that the assets they made were shippable...hence the start of a little white lie that got way out of hand.

Developers do this all the time. Mocking up gameplay through CG renders and used as proof of concepts. For me, whenever I see a trailer for a system that hasn't been released yet, I always take it with a grain of salt.

However, although the 07 trailer didn't look as good, it came close and was more than enough to impress me.

In the end, I don't care which console gets which game. If I like what I see, I'll buy it.

Raistlin

Chiggs said:
But it certainly won't be the main focus for all of those years. Playstation 4, or whatever it's called, will be making you cream your jeans in half a decade's time.

I highly doubt PS4 will be out in 5 years unless PS3 completely fails.

Raistlin

Trax416 said:
Killzone 2's graphics looked amazing. However that was it. The AI looked like AI i played against in Goldeneye. It showed nothing innovative. It showed the typical, machine gun/rocket launcher crap. The game play also looked extremely boring.

What a strange post.

AI - The game is nowhere near complete. Do you honestly think the AI is finished? This game probably isn't hitting for another year.

Innovation - GG specifically stated in an interview that they are not going to show crap as far as their original ideas, etc. at this point. So commenting on innovation is pointless at this time. Christ, the game as we've seen it is one early level with a couple of weapons ... and your basing your opinion on that?

Boring - WHAT?!?! That has some of the most intense, frenetic, war zone combat I've ever seen.

Slavik81

The trailer is still far, far, far beyond anything that's been released or previewed. That said, the game looks very, very good.

gibby said:
You know, I heard about the controversy regarding the 05 trailer but I never had the chance to see it until earlier today. I never played Killzone on the PS2 and the first time I played a Killzone title was on my PSP.

Today was the first day I saw the Killzone 2 trailer which was done in-game. I was very impressed and I loved the look and the mood it created. However, when speaking with a good friend who is a 360 faithful, he was dissing me by calling me a PS3 fanboy because I work for Sony. He was more impressed with the Halo 3 trailer. My first comment to that was Sony doesn't pay me enough to defend the PS3 to the death. LOL! Besides, if I was such a big fanboy, why did I even bother to purchase a 360?

He then told me to check out the 05 trailer and asked me for my honest opinion. To him, the lies Sony fed people regarding that demo made him jaded against Sony. My reply to him afterwards was this:

In the 05 trailer, I see a studio that had to show a concept. It being early on in development, artists were given an estimated budget regarding polygons, textures, fx, etc. While art was busy creating assets for the game, code was also ramping up. However, on the code side, the engine wasn't progressing fast enough to be shown playable on the PS3. Because many assumptions were made as to what the PS3 can do, my guess is, they felt it would be alright to create a CG trailer and call it final because they really felt that the assets they made were shippable...hence the start of a little white lie that got way out of hand.

Developers do this all the time. Mocking up gameplay through CG renders and used as proof of concepts. For me, whenever I see a trailer for a system that hasn't been released yet, I always take it with a grain of salt.

However, although the 07 trailer didn't look as good, it came close and was more than enough to impress me.

In the end, I don't care which console gets which game. If I like what I see, I'll buy it.

And there you have it guys! I think gibby just might have cracked the age old question of why cg is used in place of the actual game :lol

FightyF

Banned
dai said:
oh, man, you should have just used the "i own all the consoles" excuse. :lol

I'm not comparing consoles, I'm comparing a CG Trailer to a Real Time Demo.

MidgarBlowedUp said:
In my opinion they just need to beef up the poly counts and add better hair. The fire isn't as transparent and soft as the trailer, for lack of better words, but other than that, they punched the target render of 05 in the nose. Matter of fact, why am I even in this thread, who ****ing cares about the CG footage anyway? This new realtime footage has made me forget about 2005.

I don't think they need to improve anything. As it stands, IMO, it's one of the best looking games out there, so the only thing they would need to work on is solidifying a framerate to the extent Resistance did (so no matter what, there is no slowdown at any time).

Ether_Snake said:
lol at the comparisons.

"Less guys with skirts" yeah more like "More enemy diversity".

"Less opened environments" more like "less matte painting, more actual geometry".

"No flashlight in CG trailer" :lol

"Not much blood in the CG trailer" :lol

And you are crazy if you think the lighting is nowhere close to the 05 trailer. And then you go and say "light and shadow looks great in RT demo" when it's obvious and you can't deny it (during the landing).

And yeah the rocket luncher was shown in the trailer.

"Warning, if you are easily offended by honest and objective analysis, please head over the KillZone 2 thread"

:lol

Yeah, Killzone 2 looks incredible, that's what I thought:D

Heh...you're all over the place. What are you trying to get at here? It's obvious to anyone that you can't compare the raytraced lighting of a CG demo to a game, and it's quite obvious that the scope of the game has been greatly reduced. You seriously don't think the comparison was objective and honest? Well, head over to that thread I linked, if that's the case, and cry over there. Would it hurt that if you actually disagreed, that you would provide evidence of your own?

Jaagen

I'm impressed. They need to bump up textures a bit, from what I saw(floor on the ship didn't look good), maybe throw in some bump/normal maps. But still, they did a very good job matching the 2005 trailer.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It really does look shockingly close. I mean, we never expected them to completely match the CG as that would have been impossible...but they captured the look perfectly. The animation and motion blur in the realtime trailer is actually really impressive as well.

I'd say they have come MUCH closer to its CG unveiling than Motorstorm did and people were pleased with those results.

JMPovoa

dark10x said:
It really does look shockingly close. I mean, we never expected them to completely match the CG as that would have been impossible...but they captured the look perfectly. The animation and motion blur in the realtime trailer is actually really impressive as well.

I'd say they have come MUCH closer to its CG unveiling than Motorstorm did and people were pleased with those results.

It can look close at times, as any game these days can actually. But for now, it's still not the end all be all that many wanted it to be (and some believe it to be!).

It looks scaringly close in the pictures, but when you see it moving in pseudo-HD reality check rings a bell. The animations, the textures, the fire effects they all lack the flair that was present at '05. Even then it's still interesting to see how it develops since it's still early (i think?). What impressed me though was the lighting. Especialy in the aircrafts. Better than the first trailer easily.

Insertia

1. I just finished watching the 5 minute vid shown at the Sony conference and Killzone 2 is the best looking game on any system.

2. Didn't match the CG, but it's so close that it's really irrelevent.

It is close but the 2005 trailer is still better.

Gore effect on the 2007 trailer seems to be much better, but I don't have a 720p 05 trailer so it may just be me.

The last time I was really wow'ed was MoH: Allied Assaults frantic d-day beach invasion mission. Watching the 07 trailer gave me that same feeling.

Sadly I will probably not get it. I hate playing FPS on joypads.

wazoo

People will never change

WE are talking about a CGI trailer made by a CGI firm and we compare it to an unfinished game from an "quite" unproven game developer.

It will never match. Anyway, take the photo comparisons, mix the caps and ask people to tell you which is CGI or which is RT, you will get many wrong answers.

Even that was thought to be impossible 2 years ago.

ShOcKwAvE

It came much closer to the CG teaser than ANYONE was expecting. I was thoroughly impressed. As I understand it though, the game takes place on the Helghast homeworld, so what worries me is that the game won't feature the lush jungles or frozen tundras of the first game.

antiloop

StranGER said:
looks good , specially the backgrounds but the people just don't look the same to me.

It's because they are different models. :p

IMO framerate and animation (just half of them are in there according to Aizenherz in the other thread) are what needs to be improved. Or my computer is just to lousy to run these vids.

Calcaneus

Ether_Snake said:
lol at the comparisons.

"No flashlight in CG trailer" :lol

"Not much blood in the CG trailer" :lol

If you didn't notice, he was stating those as positive points for the RT trailer.

Anyways, great comparisons.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
GameTrailers have a video comparison.

I don't see why people are making these comparisons. Killzone 2 looks great but it really isn't close to the CG (other than stylistically)...it shouldn't need comparisons to unattainable CG to validate it's incredible appearance.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Okay, crazy PS3 fanboy comments -------> shoved aside:

The 05 trailer was CG. Get over it guys... the textures, smoke, fire, and particle effects in the CG trailer relatively blow away the current 07 game build (we're also seeing the effect of *gasp* diminishing returns - on the level of graphics we're at now, the differences between the trailers is in a way subtle, yet very critical.)

The real KZ2 right now looks like any contemporary, big budget FPS game. It doesn't look as magical as fanboy goggles see it, it just looks darn good.

Kaijima said:
Okay, crazy PS3 fanboy comments -------> shoved aside:

The 05 trailer was CG. Get over it guys... the textures, smoke, fire, and particle effects in the CG trailer relatively blow away the current 07 game build (we're also seeing the effect of *gasp* diminishing returns - on the level of graphics we're at now, the differences between the trailers is in a way subtle, yet very critical.)

The real KZ2 right now looks like any contemporary, big budget FPS game. It doesn't look as magical as fanboy goggles see it, it just looks darn good.

Exactly my thoughts.

John_B

I'm really aware of visual quality, and I'm sorry to say, but this trailer is no where near the render target demo. I think the game trailer has some nice visuals in certain parts, but nothing that crushes other pretty games.

It is still a young generation and developers are just getting to know the hardware, but I'm pretty sure we won't see something as technically strong as the render target demo.

Top Bottom