• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 2 E3 2005 vs. E3 2007 Comparrison...MILLIONS of PICS...56k sorry!

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Snah said:
The most hilarious thing about this situation is that Killzone delivered the closest accurate representation of nearly all the E3 2005 trailers. No one was expecting that considering it was probably the most absurd trailer at the show that year.

Sure, you can find minor details (such as texture quality on the clothing, more rounded polygons, etc) that look better in the CG film, but ultimately it really doesn't matter. The game catches the look, the feel, and artistic quality almost perfectly.

And I agree with Phil when he said that some parts of it look better than the trailer. I feel the overall interaction of the enemies being hit by bullets is better, I think some of the animation is better, the lighting is a lot more impressive to me, and the overall environmental effects / artistic design is better.... So yeah, I actually think the E3 2007 trailer looks better overall in terms of an aesthetic sense.

It looks like a gritty blade runner in a war theater setting...looks incredible.

I know what you mean... it caught the feel, sooo amazingly, it just looks/feels so cinematic, adding in more animations will add to that, but the fact thtat you have to LOOK for the details that are worse than the CG, makes it incredible as is.

Blackface

Banned
I am going on the record right now.

Killzone 2 will get a 7, 8 at the very most. Someone bookmark this.

Killzone 2's graphics looked amazing. However that was it. The AI looked like AI i played against in Goldeneye. It showed nothing innovative. It showed the typical, machine gun/rocket launcher crap. The game play also looked extremely boring.

So yes Killzone 2 looks great, but I guarantee with a game that good looking it has almost no processing power for anything else.

Dahbomb

Trax416 said:

Killzone 2's graphics looked amazing. However that was it. The AI looked like AI i played against in Goldeneye. It showed nothing innovative. It showed the typical, machine gun/rocket launcher crap.

So yes Killzone 2 looks great, but I guarantee with a game that good looking it has almost no processing power for anything else.
You need to put your account up to it or else this is a baseless bet.

Snah

Banned
msdstc said:
I know what you mean... it caught the feel, sooo amazingly, it just looks/feels so cinematic, adding in more animations will add to that, but the fact thtat you have to LOOK for the details that are worse than the CG, makes it incredible as is.

Yup.

And one of the things that impressed me the most from the initial KZ 2005 trailer was the facial animation, and the facial animation and models in KZ2 closely resemble what was shown. It's still early, so there's some minor issues there, but I read a developer comment about this and they said they were going to make the facial animations look just as good as that trailer if not better when the final version releases.

Trax416 said:

Killzone 2's graphics looked amazing. However that was it. The AI looked like AI i played against in Goldeneye. It showed nothing innovative. It showed the typical, machine gun/rocket launcher crap. The game play also looked extremely boring.

Would you like to place a bet on this? C'mon, step up.

Trax416 said:

Killzone 2 looking as good as it does, that stings pretty bad huh?

Core407

Banned
Trax416 said:

Isn't it still in pre-alpha? Give 'em some credit FFS...

Snah

Banned
Trax416 said:

Haha.

I have a feeling Killzone will be getting GOTFY awards across the board when it releases.

You don't have amazing artistic vision, design, a huge budget only to just fall incredibly flat on the gameplay. GG knows what they're doing. Killzone 1's graphics were good at the time, but they most certainly weren't what I would consider amazing. It never was the prettiest game of its time and had many engine faults. Killzone 2 when it releases will probably be the most impressive looking title ever, and by all indications the framerate is already rock steady.

I don't know why people are even questioning the gameplay. With all the little touches they've made to the engine, the gameplay looks fantastic, and I think they're obviously holding back on many of the actual gameplay details. This trailer was mostly to show that Sony was serious with this title. It'll be a blockbuster, and perhaps a defining title of this entire generation much like Halo was last gen.

Snah said:
Haha.

I have a feeling Killzone will be getting GOTFY awards across the board when it releases.

You don't have amazing artistic vision, design, a huge budget only to just fall incredibly flat on the gameplay. GG knows what they're doing. Killzone 1's graphics were good at the time, but they most certainly weren't what I would consider amazing. It never was the prettiest game of its time and had many engine faults. Killzone 2 when it releases will probably be the most impressive looking title ever, and by all indications the framerate is already rock steady.

I don't know why people are even questioning the gameplay. With all the little touches they've made to the engine, the gameplay looks fantastic, and I think they're obviously holding back on many of the actual gameplay details. This trailer was mostly to show that Sony was serious with this title. It'll be a blockbuster, and perhaps a defining title of this entire generation much like Halo was last gen.

Dark clouds and bitter tears.

There are probably tons of technical reasons why the first trailer is better than the new one, but it really doesn't matter to me. Its friggin gorgeous, and communicates the mood and feel of the game perfectly.

I'm an xbox zealot, halo loving gamer, and I have to say, Guerilla is doing it right. Killzone is the real deal. Signed. Sealed. Delivered.

Here's hoping the gameplay complements the amazing visuals.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
the feel of the game alone gives this game an 8... what kind of comment is that? the graphics will pump the score up, and the AI wasn't terrible, at least they took cover right? The whole concept of the game is incredible and the storyline (if you didn't catch the first one) is one of the greats, honestly the first one had so much potential this one will deliver though.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I expect these guys will complain up till and even past release.

Waggh, it costs too much.
Waagh, I wanted mario war, instead you gave me dark and gritty.
Waagh, the textures for the concrete look really bland, unlike the wildly fascinating concrete I see in real life.
Waagh, the sound effect for the alternate attack on the least used weapon is kind of weak.
Waagh, there are only 2000 polygons in his moustache.
Waagh, look at all the jaggies in that broken glass from the window.

4695a3206e644.jpg

They'll be like the tree that falls in the forest while the rest of us are playing the game.

Blackface

Banned
Core407 said:
Isn't it still in pre-alpha? Give 'em some credit FFS...

I am giving them credit. It looks jaw dropping. I also hope to god it plays as good as it looks. I bought a Ps3 and haven't really had much to do on it. If Sony comes thru with the games they promise, I will for sure be dusting it off.

However, I am very skeptical. Gears Of War looked great, and it had a lack of story and well, anything. However the gameplay was fun. Killzone 2 IMO looks way way better then GOW so I am questioning how much gameplay, AI and other features the PS3 will have left. Especially with it running on the cell, which isn't exactly the best thing in the world for AI processing.

I go by what I saw in this trailer. What I saw was a super amazing looking game, that had no gameplay or story. Generally, most trailers like to show this off. I am not one of these people who will see a graphically impressive trailer then start predicting it will be GOTY. I go on what is put in front of me. What was put infront of me, was something that looked great but thats about ****ing it.

LCGeek

formerly sane
msdstc said:

Really I wasn't that impressed game looks far better than some other titles that are in dev that haven't lived up expectations but I really wonder about some of the eyes in the thread.

Off the bat the complexity of the intro isn't the same. The clouds are way more noticeable and distinct in the 05 intro where as the new one everything is just greyed, i haven't seen a vid only gifs and pics. One thing I will say that makes comparing weird is the color palette difference. It's noticeable in the cloud scene they have blueish grey tint where the real time stuff is all a shade of greys and blacks. The fire is way better in the in cg version. The one thing I'm wondering is how draw distance limited this game is in the cg pics towards the bottom there are wide open areas where you can see in the back. In the new shots all the environments seem closed off and the sky seems to be the same black/grey tone with no depth.

Model wise I think they improved over the cg in some instance but at the bottom shot I think the cg looks better where as the start comparison shots the 07 version looks better. My only issue with the new lighting is some of the sources seem to come from nowhere and it's nowhere near as accurate and consistent as the cg. The animated gifs I saw show that the lighting is easily some of the best for console, but it's nothing like the cg.

BTW what's up with some of the comparison shots I don't see how the guy on the bridge being shot below is the same as the dude in a corridor environment. I do love the headshot in the next picture as the blood spray is awesome in this game.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Funny how some people who never gave a damn about Killzone are like "well it's not that great I'm not really that impressed umm maybe I won't buy it afterall".

I never liked Halo, I don't go in the Halo thread to pretend I'm not buying it anymore after how disappointed I was with the trailer.

Just saying that for those who know they never gave a damn to begin with.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Hunter D said:
It is a big difference. If they were even close to matching the trailer on a tech level PC fanboys would be cutting their own throats with their DX10 cards.

Crysis puts even the CG trailer to shame.

I hope the game doesnt have any lame crosshairs. The lack of HUD makes it much more immersive Hopefully they'll have ironsights as well.
The fire effects look awful though.

Kolgar

Yep, there's a difference. A tangible difference.

And I don't even give a rip.

It's close enough for me, now let me just play the damn thing!!!

The 720p version on Sony's site looks utterly amazing. It's unbelievable how closely they matched the CG trailer. The only thing I think they need to fix is that squad leader's facial animation and to try to get the explosions to look more like they do in the CG trailer.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Man. Why the haters gotta be such haters?

I don't think anyone truly believes that 2007 has exceeded 2005 on every metric, or even many...

But more than anything else, the new trailer has exceeded expectations in nearly every form. No one really thought they could get anywhere near that close, but they did. And we're impressed.

That's all there is to it; it's gotten closer to the bullshot trailer than anything out there, and deserves our hearty enthusiasm. Not endless naysaying, damage control and spin from haters. Haters be damned!

unomas

Banned
I think it looks great, definitely close enough to the 2005 footage. I liked the demo they showed but thought it dragged on a bit long. It's definitely a great exclusive for Sony to have.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
The only thing that looks worse is the fire and some of the textures, it's amazing how close the game now looks to the original trailer, considering how everyone was laughing at the original, saying it would never be possible to make a game that beautiful.

GhaleonEB

Very impressive. They didn't achieve the details that no one realistically expected them to achieve - some of the texture detail, the perfectly rounded surfaces such as faces and especially the animation. But they came close enough that it doesn't matter - they nailed the look and feel of the trailer, all wrapped in one of the more compelling art styles I've seen in shooters. Should be incredible when it comes out next year.

Do the haters even know what a "target render" is? Or that Guerilla gave the CG shop the assets they were using but didn't actually produce the 05 trailer? The 07 trailer delivers. It's not meant to be identical.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
the first trailer was in a brighter lit area (day?) so you could see more of the detail, the new in-game trailer was darker so it was harder to see the finer details

the faces are practically the same, the uniforms do have a higher level of detail to them. anyway you slice it though, the real killzone 2 looks great.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
maynerd said:
I think it looks comparable, quite good actually the AI is piss poor though.

The AI is turned off. Why don't you guys know this? You're in gaming forums everyday.

Hay guyz did U know gametrailerd dida comparison videouh!? Who woulda think!

Speaking of which. Can we get some light back into the game and get rid of those damn ugly generic looking helghast? The cloaks are what gave them their "OMGWTFBBQ scary" feel.

Technically, it's not a match. Of course. But artistically and stylistically, it's even better. THIS is Killzone 2. The other one never felt right to me. It wasn't what I had in mind.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
99%? No ****ing way. The original trailer is PS4 quality stuff. Still, this looks frickin awesome.

-Timedog

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
CrushDance said:

Speaking of which. Can we get some light back into the game and get rid of those damn ugly generic looking helghast? The cloaks are what gave them their "OMGWTFBBQ scary" feel.

They can still scare.

newkillzone7.jpg

distrbnce

Banned
Wow.

You know, I didn't think (just from memory) that the new trailer came very close to the 05 one. But with these (possibly carefully picked) screenshots, I'd say it surpasses it on the majority of them.

Agree, the fire, and some textures need work, but I have absolutely no doubt that 6 more months is plenty of time to polish it up.

Amazing, can't believe I'll get to play through it some day.

distrbnce said:
Wow.

You know, I didn't think (just from memory) that the new trailer came very close to the 05 one. But with these (possibly carefully picked) screenshots, I'd say it surpasses it on the majority of them.

Agree, the fire, and some textures need work, but I have absolutely no doubt that 6 more months is plenty of time to polish it up.

Amazing, can't believe I'll get to play through it some day.

You're insane. Rewatch the 05 video.

CrushDance said:

Blasphemy!

FightyF

Banned
Like Motorstorm it definitely captured the feel, but there are large technical differences.

Warning, if you are easily offended by honest and objective analysis, please head over the KillZone 2 thread.

I still think the game looks excellent, and it captured the feel and animations, which are the most important things for this title. But I'll point out the differences to those who haven't seen them.

kz2comparison.jpg

In my opinion they just need to beef up the poly counts and add better hair. The fire isn't as transparent and soft as the trailer, for lack of better words, but other than that, they punched the target render of 05 in the nose. Matter of fact, why am I even in this thread, who ****ing cares about the CG footage anyway? This new realtime footage has made me forget about 2005.

There are obvious differences between the in-game footage and the CG demo from two years ago, but did anyone ever expect the actual product to match that anyway? The visuals are still some of the best on the system so far and show a whole lot of potential for the final product.

I personally prefer the colour pallette used in the CG demo - this year's demo is a bit colourless in comparism. The screens here don't really show that difference, but if you watch the footage there is a definite lilac and pink colour wash used in the CG version. Furthermore, I hope that a lot of what we've seen isn't predetermined - remember how good Medal Of Honor looked on PS2, but all the explosions were the same every time and the same people died in the same places every time etc.

Only time will tell with stuff like that I guess. So far, so good.

callous

zoku88 said:
They got pretty close. The biggest differences are in the fire.
My thoughts exactly. The fire is still looking a bit last-gen ... but there's time and everything else is freakin' amazing.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
callous said:
My thoughts exactly. The fire is still looking a bit last-gen ... but there's time and everything else is freakin' amazing.

it's just a placeholder, that's painfully obvious. Just remember lairs only a few months ago.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
lol at the comparisons.

"Less guys with skirts" yeah more like "More enemy diversity".

"Less opened environments" more like "less matte painting, more actual geometry".

"No flashlight in CG trailer" :lol

"Not much blood in the CG trailer" :lol

And you are crazy if you think the lighting is nowhere close to the 05 trailer. And then you go and say "light and shadow looks great in RT demo" when it's obvious and you can't deny it (during the landing).

And yeah the rocket luncher was shown in the trailer.

"Warning, if you are easily offended by honest and objective analysis, please head over the KillZone 2 thread"

:lol

Yeah, Killzone 2 looks incredible, that's what I thought:D

cgcg

"The cloaks are what gave them their "OMGWTFBBQ scary" feel.

They are still in the game. You can see one of them in the video. By the way love the way the muzzle flash lights up the environment.

Top Bottom