• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 (3D), screenshots, video, info BLOWOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

KZObsessed

We implemented a lot of the feedback from the community for Killzone 2, in the patches we applied for things like the controller lag. We're fixing those kind of things even further for Killzone 3 - we feel that responsiveness is a big issue. We can't really judge that on the pre-alpha code because the framerate's not up there, but response is important

Baki

gofreak said:
I'm actually surprised we're not seeing more previews from this event generally.

Look at LBP2 - there was a metric ton of previews on the web for it. For KZ3? I think there's only been a couple?

Re. VG247, the guy who runs it on his twitter seemed to express big frustration over the way the embargo was brought forward. Meaning some outlets stole a march over others. He didn't direct it specifically at KZ3, but he made mention the same day of a 'big backlash'. Maybe some outlets are (temporarily?) withholding previews as a protest over how the embargo was handled? Like, I'm really surprised we haven't seen a gamespot preview yet...for example.

I'm guessing the KZ3 event was a lot more controlled with a lot less playtime from Guerilla.

-viper-

Banned
Move games should be restricted against move players only. And DS3 players against DS3 players.

Move vs DS3 would be unfair.

-viper- said:
Move games should be restricted against move players only. And DS3 players against DS3 players.

Then buy Move. I can't wait to hear the paddy's people will be throwing when they go down to a Move opponent. Hell, we'd probably still have them calling skilled DS3 opponents 'Move Fuckers' or something similar when they die because they (the dead) are terrible players too.

Razgreez

-viper- said:

Unfair? Suppose it could be however the choice is yours. Seems like a good way to improve move penetration if it seemingly gives players an edge. Eventually every player will want/have one and that's exactly what Sony would want

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Truant said:
Do you like MW? If so, you'd probably like KZ2. At least in terms of singleplayer. MP is pretty different.
I played a bit of MW2 at my friend's Dad's place for a bit. It was pretty fun, but I only played the singleplayer content.

Bradach

Razgreez said:
Unfair? Suppose it could be however the choice is yours. Seems like a good way to improve move penetration if it seemingly gives players an edge. Eventually every player will want/have one and that's exactly what Sony would want

good point

Ballistictiger said:
The F word is a banned one. I'll be a move F** indeed. I'll take precision anyday.

Might want to edit that.

Cheers. Slipped my mind for a second. I wish we could ban words from peoples mouths online. Sure, we can mute people, but I'd just love to censor certain words. Didn't microsoft have some sort of patent that was like that for online chat? I wonder if that'll ever come to fruition.

I'll be using Move too. Moves implementation in the more 'core' games is why its an easier sell to me than Natal. I can use it in FPS games, RTS games, platformers, TPS games etc. For my money I'll get more genres out of it that I can play really well. I've got a PSeye so I'll be buying 2 Move controllers, 2 sub controllers and depending on the launch line up, 2 of the casual titles (Ape escape being one for sure) and then my regular games on top. I really want to give SOCOM 4 a go with this and Under Seige looks really good. I suspect Resistance 3 will use it too.

Zen

Banned
More like Neogaf read that whatshisname was contracted to do something in Killzone 3, having never really heard of the guy before without a proper understanding of the types of things taht he does, and then heard that he's a part of the ICE Team, sort of, and then started saying 'OMG NAUGHTY DOG IS CO DEVELOPING THE KZ3 ENGINE :D :D :D".

GAF > internet > GAF.

/facepalm

I should be doing hw said:
Sweet, this is a problem that I'm noticing in my current play through. A lot of stuttering, dialog desyncing and getting cut off, makes the game feel somewhat unstable. Also points where I thought the game had frozen because it paused for a good 20 seconds, it resumed after without a hitch though.
Another thing I want gone is the almost agonising wait between death and reload, as of now it takes way too long. Show me being killed, hitting the floor and then snap back to gameplay please. Looking at the floor at an ISA or Helghast flexing or waving at me is novel at first but infuriating in harder difficulty where you are dying a lot.

It's weird, but the stuttering, loading pausing, etc only really became apparent with more recent firmware updates; I'm not sure what caused them to happen, but the game used to run much smoothly.

Zen

Banned
Yeah there's no evidence to suggest that there's anything but the typical SCEWWS situation at play, which is hardly unique to any product within SCEWWS.

KZObsessed

While he didn't speak to the multiplayer side of Killzone 3, Hulst did say that "we can safely say we've addressed pretty much every wish list out there."

hmm.

I could take any change to KZ3 multiplayer but as I was saying to Lince yesterday, increasing the auto-aim could be a deal breaker for me. I hate auto aim. KZ2 already had too much for me. Far too much when shooting "from the hip" and far too much when it came to headshots.

And the talk about increasing "accessibility" is worrying.

filopilo

mr_nothin said:
Uhhh...they're probably doing the usual SCEWW sharing.
ICE Team is most definitely helping out with the engine.

Yeah , classic press stupidity :

ICE team is located at ND building.
ICE team team helps first party devs.
Guerilla is first party.

Conclusion: ND is helping Guerilla.

BTW ,Guerilla helped ND for the shadows,too.

Zen

Banned
You can find more than one GAFer that followed this logic before the press picked up on it. :lol Check out any time the Mark Cerny interview was posted.

gogogow

Hermen Hulst already denied that ND collaborating with them. But both games looks great, so with or without collaboration, it still gonna be a great looking game just like KZ2.

BeeDog

KZObsessed said:
Of course they're not. We said that when the first story popped up. It was just your usual shitty gaming journalism. GG are good enough that they don't need Naughty Dog helping them out.

Didn't GG actually help ND with the implementation of certain graphical effects for UC2? I recall them (ND) thanking GG in the credits for some stuff, or something.

Dibbz

GG one thing I want more than anything else in Killzone 3 Multi is PARTY SYSTEM!! Oh and if you could put the cinema mode from Uncharted 2 in there I'll buy 2 copies!

KZObsessed

BeeDog said:
Didn't GG actually help ND with the implementation of certain graphical effects for UC2? I recall them (ND) thanking GG in the credits for some stuff, or something.

I remember Evan Wells saying they got an idea on how to reduce tearing from Guerrilla via Insomniac. Sony's first party always talk to each other and share ideas and learn from each other. But that's a far cry from "co-developing each others game engines!" Just typical games journalsim.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
KZObsessed said:
I remember Evan Wells saying they got an idea on how to reduce tearing from Guerrilla via Insomniac. Sony's first party always talk to each other and share ideas and learn from each other. But that's a far cry from "co-developing each others game engines!" Just typical games journalsim.
Pretty much yeah.

Thats the deal with the Worldwide Studios they share stuff, but its not that ND sent some programmers over GG!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
BeeDog said:
Pretty sure the advanced motion blur used in Uncharted 2 and God of War III was the result of the work GG did on Killzone 2.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
KZObsessed said:

thank god for that, I still got kz2, I want to play trough it again but the responsiveness kills it for me ( yea yea I know l2p etc )

Denzar

filopilo said:
Yeah , classic press stupidity :

ICE team is located at ND building.
ICE team team helps first party devs.
Guerilla is first party.

Conclusion: ND is helping Guerilla.

BTW ,Guerilla helped ND for the shadows,too.
I fit into my pajamas.

My pajamas fit into my suitcase...

...therefore I fit into my suitcase.

Massa

Razgreez said:

That's great. I have the choice to either spend $100 to gain an unfair advantage over other players or play with on my favorite setup against people with an unfair advantage.

I guess the solution to that would be to play multiplayer shooters on 360. Is that what Sony would want?

Dibbz said:
GG one thing I want more than anything else in Killzone 3 Multi is PARTY SYSTEM!! Oh and if you could put the cinema mode from Uncharted 2 in there I'll buy 2 copies!

But WITH YouTube-uploading this time around! :lol

These are important things as well:
• The ability to join friends through the in-game XMB (like in MW2)
• Cross-game invites using PSN messages (like in MW2 and BF:BC2)
• Presence Data

Lince

Banned
KZObsessed said:
hmm.

I could take any change to KZ3 multiplayer but as I was saying to Lince yesterday, increasing the auto-aim could be a deal breaker for me. I hate auto aim. KZ2 already had too much for me. Far too much when shooting "from the hip" and far too much when it came to headshots.

well as a business company their main goal is to make money, where's the money these days? Modern Warfare, no question about it but what does it have? tons of auto-aim and the industry-winner IT SUCKS™ engine (IT Shows U Can Kill Sitting) so every human, animal or vegetal player in the planet can at least kill a couple of guys per match, so following the strong criticism that the original, realistic, refreshing and satisfying KZ2 controls suffered from non-FPS adepts the likes of Rez et al I'm convinced we're getting an even worse, dumbed-down, twitchy aim for KZ3, that's life.

edit: smh

Facism

KZObsessed said:
hmm.

Yeh seriously. I hope they go the opposite way and remove the autoaim pussification altogether. The shotgun was hilarious. Like a heatseeking Peter North load.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Deepack said:
I fit into my pajamas.

My pajamas fit into my suitcase...

...therefore I fit into my suitcase.

Send that off to Shitaku and you'll find yourself with a job offer.

jumpship

Hi guys i know this is slightly offtopic but just wanted to highlight something from the eurogamer interview when Steven Ter Heide discusses gameplay immersion in 3D

Steven Ter Heide
Motorstorm is coming out in 3D, you can read the road a lot better and, something that I never personally liked is being inside the car, but now I can actually inside the car and drive, so I think it really adds to the gameplay as well.

I kinda expected the next Motorstorm to have a 3D option as Evolution have been experimenting in house but has cockpit view just been confirmed :D its open to interpretation but you could never drive from inside the car as he describes here

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
After playing the KZ2 demo I think I'll actually pick it up and join in the hype train! I just wish that dude who keeps yelling would shut the fuck up already though.

JB1981

I am in the camp that does believe the controls could be more responsive, so I am happy to hear that the sequel is going to address this.

I would like them to cut down the blur as well. I have been playing the SP again and I am struck by the sense of "tunnel vision" this game gives the player. I believe this is due to the FOV and the excessive blur, which can make it hard to "see" the environment.

Gomu Gomu

Hey guys, I'm pretty sure this has been asked a million times now, but huge thread is huge. So Does anyone know how are they going to do 3D on the PS3? I mean I assume KZ2 took a lot of the hardware's resources to look that good. How are they going to render the same image twice and manage to keep a steady frame rate?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Gomu Gomu said:
Hey guys, I'm pretty sure this has been asked a million times now, but huge thread is huge. So Does anyone know how are they going to do 3D on the PS3? I mean I assume KZ2 took a lot of the hardware's resources to look that good. How are they going to render the same image twice and manage to keep a steady frame rate?

I was expecting the Eurogamer interview to answer that question myself. Sadly, it didn't.

Hopefully Digital Foundry delivers with a proper tech interview on the matter.

Yoboman

Gold Member
Gomu Gomu said:
You need two PS3s

BeeDog

Gomu Gomu said:

Probably by lowering the resolution (a lot), and removing a lot of superfluous effects. I would think that motion blur and DoF effects are unnecessary in 3D, and by removing them you'd probably save a lot of overhead.

Max

I am not Max
InfiniteNine said:
After playing the KZ2 demo I think I'll actually pick it up and join in the hype train! I just wish that dude who keeps yelling would shut the fuck up already though.
Bout to Goozex KZ2 so I'm about to hop on too. I presume I can ignore Killzone on the PS2, right?

Gomu Gomu said:
Optimisation, new/better ways of coding learned through experience. Basically how all sequels, like U2, manage to look better than the original when running on the same engine and hardware.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
About 3D, (assuming 3D becomes "mandatory" next gen) I was wondering if future consoles could implement some kind of "3D-specialized companion chip" which would allow for stereoscopic 3D to basically be achieved for free.

More specifically, given what stereo 3D actually implies in terms of resources (that's is, it's not as simple as saying "draw the image twice" cos there is stuff you DON'T need to be processed more than once) I was thinking that simply beefing up the GPU to allow free 3D imagery would be a waste of resources (ie devs are given a more powerful GPU, but they can use 90% of it cos the extra 10% copes with 3D stuff)

I'm thinking about a new kind of processor akin to current hardware upscalers, very specialized and most importantly cheaper to produce than a more powerful GPU, which ultimately would be "hampered" anyway by the mandatory need to produce stereoscopic 3D.

Just wondering if this would make sense/be possible from an engineering pov.

Not sure I made myself clear. :lol

zlatko

Banned
Massa said:
That's great. I have the choice to either spend $100 to gain an unfair advantage over other players or play with on my favorite setup against people with an unfair advantage.

I guess the solution to that would be to play multiplayer shooters on 360. Is that what Sony would want?

Damn Sony told you the price point for Move? You sure are special to get such insider information.

zlatko <- is jealous.

Really though quit your b*tchin till the game is out and how it actually plays. If after the game is out people start to whine like you are now then GG will listen on their forums to give you playlists for DS3 only or something. They are good like that. I mean they DID fork over dedicated servers so there is no lag in KZ2....and they didn't even make close to the amount of certain other companies who refuse to step into the year 2010 to give you the lagless online experience we deserve as customers and fans.(EPIC games this goes out to you along with a royal go f*ck yourself for making Gears 2 online the biggest joke of all time with your peer to peer BS, host advantage, lag, glitch, inability to join/find games, etc when you could've fixed 90% of the BS with adding dedicated servers you monkeys in creators clothing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom