• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 (3D), screenshots, video, info BLOWOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shred0r

Banned
15geb1g.jpg

Let your voices be heard! Maybe this could be the first multiplayer-game from a first party studio with proper social features that fully integrate PSN, like Modern Warfare 2 does.

KZ3 multiplayer requests (cross-game invites / joining friends through XMB)

I’m very, very excited for KZ3! I’m sure it’s shaping up to be something quite spectacular.
Now, about the multiplayer-mode, I’ve got some things I’d like to suggest:

It’s already a given that there will be a party-mode this time around)... but please don’t do something stupid like creating a custom social structure for joining friends/sending invites, like Rockstar did with Red Dead Redemption. It sucks.

You see, Sony FINALLY added some great features into the XMB, such as true cross-game invites and joining friends through the in-game XMB. And the only (non-first party) developer that uses these like they were meant to be used, is Infinity Ward. Just check out Modern Warfare 2 if you haven’t already (because then you’ll know what I mean). The PSN is integrated perfectly there. This is how it should work for every future game, and it baffles me that Sony has not made this mandatory yet.

Basically, it works like this:
• To invite a player, you just open the in-game XMB, navigate to the friend that you want to invite, press triangle, choose ’Invite this player’ and send the invite. That’s it!
• The player receiving the invite only has to open it and select ’Join’. The rest is automated and will sometimes even bypass some screens that you would normally have to wait for. It will even ask you to insert the correct gamedisc if you’re in another game...
• You can also go into your PSN friendlist through the in-game XMB, select a friend, press triangle and select ’Join Session in progress’ to instantly jump into the game your friend is in.

Another cool thing is ’Presence Data’. You know, little bits of info that are displayed next to your PSN name and the game that you’re playing. Things like ’Playing singleplayer in XXX’, ’Playing co-op survival 3/4’ or ’Playing Deathmatch on Bloodgracht 2/4’ (where the number x/4 indicates how many players are currently in your squad, so it’s easy to see if your squad is joinable).

Thread at Official PS forums:
http://bit.ly/aVcKZV

Thread at Official KZ-forums:
http://bit.ly/aplJ6F

I bow before the improvements Guerilla are making. My one tiny issue - input lag - is finally being addressed. Praise be!

I was playing some KZ2 SP last night - graphically, I think they need to improve their fire technology. Like MGS4, it lacks depth. It just seems like yellow blobs on the screen, and the flame-thrower looks like a stream of piss. The heat effects and embers are great, but the base effect is just so-so. It would be great if they could get it up to the level of Bayonetta's fire effects (one of the benchmarks as far as i'm concerned - Platinum managed to pull it off at 60fps too).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I NEED SCISSORS said:
I bow before the improvements Guerilla are making. My one tiny issue - input lag - is finally being addressed. Praise be!

I was playing some KZ2 SP last night - graphically, I think they need to improve their fire technology. Like MGS4, it lacks depth. It just seems like yellow blobs on the screen, and the flame-thrower looks like a stream of piss. The heat effects and embers are great, but the base effect is just so-so. It would be great if they could get it up to the level of Bayonetta's fire effects (one of the benchmarks as far as i'm concerned - Platinum managed to pull it off at 60fps too).

Yeah, fire is shit in KZ2. Not only that, but it affects frame rate whenever it comes into view.

JardeL

santi_yo said:
What is the ICE Team?
Naughty Dog is home to the ICE Team, one of Sony’s World Wide Studios central technology groups. The ICE Team focuses on creating core graphics technologies for Sony’s worldwide first party published titles for the PlayStation®3, including low level game engine components, graphics processing pipelines, supporting tools, and graphics profiling and debugging tools.
The ICE Team also supports third party developers with a suite of engine components (PlayStation®Edge), and our graphics analysis, profiling, and debugging tool (PlayStation®3 GPAD) for the RSX™. Both enable developers to get better performance out of the PlayStation®3.
ND helps every single first-party dev through ICE Team actually.

spats

Max said:
Bout to Goozex KZ2 so I'm about to hop on too. I presume I can ignore Killzone on the PS2, right?

KZ1 is in some ways better, but in many ways worse than the sequel. Story-wise you're not going to miss out all that much if you skip it.

jjasper

And if you are worried about the story just read the official thread, from what I remember it basically spells out all the back story, KZ1, and KZ:L.

if you remember how Killzone 2 finished, on the steps of the Palace with the cruiser coming in, that's exactly where this game begins. It's completely seamless and continues on -

Awesome. I loved the way KZ2 ended.

Shaka

I NEED SCISSORS said:

It's a jet of fuel being ignited people!

KZObsessed

Multiplayer improvements were mentioned, but not detailed. "It's safe to say that every wish-list feature has been addressed," Hulst offered, adding that further info on the "more accessible" online experience will come later this year.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/27/guerilla-demos-killzone-3-promises-a-more-epic-varied-experien/

Every wishlist feature? Party system and dedicated servers are the main ones. We'll find out later this year apparently.

Joystiq has a hands on impressions coming tomorrow afternoon.

Melee system sounds awesome:

An ISA soldier took down multiple Helgast troopers using kicks to their heads, rifle stocks to their faces and, in a closing shot, knocked an enemy flat off the floor, holding his head down with his boot before squeezing off a kill shot.

It would be great if they had these things online. Hopefully that'll put an end to the shitty trend of 1 hit kill knife swipes.

TheFatOne

KZObsessed said:
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/27/guerilla-demos-killzone-3-promises-a-more-epic-varied-experien/

Every wishlist feature? Party system and dedicated servers are the main ones. We'll find out later this year apparently.

Joystiq has a hands on impressions coming tomorrow afternoon.

It would be great if they had these things online. Hopefully that'll put an end to the shitty trend of 1 hit kill knife swipes.

I hope the melee system is in the multiplayer. That way when I knife you you will turn around shoot me in the face. Then, walk away kill two more people and die by my knife kill. Sounds awesome

A.R.K

KZObsessed said:

One other thing I would like to see is more aggressive A.I during melee attacks. In KZ2 if you would charge with a knife at the higgs 99% of the time you would kill them. They need to improve the A.I in this case so they can counter your melee and its not too easy to just melee kill all the time and the player thinks twice before charging for melee.

anyone have suggestions on a quality 3D-ready tv? or even some models i should keep an eye out for in the future would be helpful. i'm still not sure which route i'll take (LED, DLP, etc.) since DLP's are very reasonably priced at the moment. A 60 inch DLP costs less than some 40 inch LED's currently, although i'm aware of the advantages/disadvantages.

I almost think it would be smart to purchase a DLP in a few months, then wait for the 3D tech to improve and see how the reception is with consumers.

JB1981

Drinking Hatorade said:
anyone have suggestions on a quality 3D-ready tv? or even some models i should keep an eye out for in the future would be helpful. i'm still not sure which route i'll take (LED, DLP, etc.) since DLP's are very reasonably priced at the moment. A 60 inch DLP costs less than some 40 inch LED's currently, although i'm aware of the advantages/disadvantages.

I almost think it would be smart to purchase a DLP in a few months, then wait for the 3D tech to improve and see how the reception is with consumers.

They still make DLPs?

KZObsessed

TheFatOne said:
I hope the melee system is in the multiplayer. That way when I knife you you will turn around shoot me in the face. Then, walk away kill two more people and die by my knife kill. Sounds awesome

Well that's certainly what you'd claim would happen :p

mrwilt

Drinking Hatorade said:

I bought a Mitsubishi 60" DLP last year and love it. It is 3D ready, but it is going to require a converter box that Mitsubishi is supposedly making to be HDMI 1.4 compliant. Image quality is superb on it. The only drawback I see is having to replace the bulb after 3000 hours, but you can get them for about $100 now.

They still make DLPs?

Mitsubishi just announced their new line in 60", 65", 73" and 82" flavors. Look around and you can find a Mitsubishi 82inch DLP for under $4000.

Rikyfree

TheFatOne said:
I just want to shoot off your face while you're under my boot, ISA scum.

jett said:
So you're saying it looks better than 99.99% of the games out there?

No, I'm saying it looks EXACTLY like KZ2. Dumb or not its the truth. Reason I mentioned PS4 is because I think they should take their time so we can see a game matching the original awesome KZ2 trailer (cgi one)

TheFatOne

Rikyfree said:
I just want to shoot off your face while you're under my boot, ISA scum.

Oh I'm sorry I don't recall you playing with any of the GAF clans in Killzone 2. You must be one of the scrubs then.

Lovely Salsa said:
No, I'm saying it looks EXACTLY like KZ2. Dumb or not its the truth. Reason I mentioned PS4 is because I think they should take their time so we can see a game matching the original awesome KZ2 trailer (cgi one)

because god knows Killzone 2 hasn't... :lol :lol :lol

patsu

I don't think it looks exactly like KZ2.

The engine runs 50% more efficient. Lighting has improved. Jetpack will give us aerial view. Plus there will be stereoscopic 3D.

No need to wait for PS4. It's already advanced enough.

Regarding the trailer, it has already exceeded the trailer in various ways. Some aspects that rely on pure compute rendering power obviously won't be matched, but as a whole, KZ2 is interactive (not a movie), and has interesting post processing that were not in the original video.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How do we even know it'll look exactly like that when it gets released 2015 anyway? :lol

-viper-

Banned
Lovely Salsa said:
And that's a bad thing? KZ2 is one of the best looking games out there. They've increased the scale by 10x BTW.

Hypereides

Gold Member
KZObsessed said:
'Multiplayer improvements were mentioned, but not detailed. "It's safe to say that every wish-list feature has been addressed," Hulst offered, adding that further info on the "more accessible" online experience will come later this year.'

<3

Hybrid uniforms for hybrid classes please!

filopilo said:
Yeah , classic press stupidity :

ICE team is located at ND building.
ICE team team helps first party devs.
Guerilla is first party.

Conclusion: ND is helping Guerilla.

BTW ,Guerilla helped ND for the shadows,too.
Seriously so stupid.
KZObsessed said:
I remember Evan Wells saying they got an idea on how to reduce tearing from Guerrilla via Insomniac. Sony's first party always talk to each other and share ideas and learn from each other. But that's a far cry from "co-developing each others game engines!" Just typical games journalsim.
Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom