• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 3 Beta Details (Starts 10/25, requires PS+, only 10k spots open)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How does the radar work? People keep knowing where I hide and sometimes I find the enemy on the radar, and sometimes not.

Ok this game better have another multiplayer beta/demo before the game comes out, because this shit of a beta left a bad taste in my mouth and I am questioning of getting the game at all.

Rapping Granny said:
Ok this game better have another multiplayer beta/demo before the game comes out, because this shit of a beta left a bad taste in my mouth and I am questioning of getting the game at all.

ALPHA isn't FUCKING BETA. This isn't the bullshit demos that devs put out to spread WoM instead of using them to fine-tune the game, this is absolutely a true testing phase that's meant to gather significant feedback from the players and implement it into the game to make it better. Have you people that are bitching about glitches and bugs IN ALPHA CODE ever actually played an early beta of a PC MMO, for example? Testing phases don't start out with near-gold code like Uncharted 2 or Killzone 2.

alr1ghtstart said:
The patch apparently added a tiny bit of recoil (but to hip fire, no ADS which is what was wanted). That's it. Their support for the beta has been abysmal.

They're probably just tuning what's simple to modify in the engine. I expect another beta with a completely new client.

-viper- said:
nothing great in killzone 2 has been passed onto killzone 3.

now it feels like a poor attempt at a COD clone. and why bother buying the inferior product when I already have Black Ops?

i tried playing the game earlier and it simply wouldn't connect to MP. I guess no one is playing this beta.

The game doesn't feel ANYTHING like CoD. In TDM, feeling is entirely different than what we find in CoD. And some people compared Operations to BC2 Rush and although if we compared them on paper they would indeed be similar, the moving/shooting feel is hugely different in KZ3 than in BC2. Killzone was always meant for Warzone and that game mode fits the game absolutely perfectly.

Massa

Lagspike_exe said:
ALPHA isn't FUCKING BETA. This isn't the bullshit demos that devs put out to spread WoM instead of using them to fine-tune the game, this is absolutely a true testing phase that's meant to gather significant feedback from the players and implement it into the game to make it better. Have you people that are bitching about glitches and bugs IN ALPHA CODE ever actually played an early beta of a PC MMO, for example? Testing phases don't start out with near-gold code like Uncharted 2 or Killzone 2.

This "alpha" has some serious design issues.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
electroshockwave said:
I really don't know who to believe; the guys who loved Killzone 2 and have articulated in detail what is wrong with the KZ3 beta or the ones who don't actually say what makes it good, nevermind better than KZ2 (outside of controls) and spout retarded cliches like "haters gona hate".

I have played 150 hours of KZ2 and have described in details what makes KZ3 good (so far). So there's that. People who like that game just don't want to waste time arguing with you guys. They're playing beta.

CozMick

Banned
Yoshichan said:
How does the radar work? People keep knowing where I hide and sometimes I find the enemy on the radar, and sometimes not.

Spot and Mark is broken, it's meant to spot people in your fov but in the beta it displays the entire opposition, even through walls.

Also, the radar displays players that are currently shooting.

Lince

Banned
KZObsessed said:
oh come on Lince you know better than that :p

I know, too much negativity, even if I was lucky to find some good games with actual team work going on the dumbed down gunplay mechanics and stuff like the S&M glitch and random Infiltrators infuriate me to no end. Also you play/played the beta a lot, you're bound to find a good game at some point with these "Hollywood" moments and your skills turning the tides of the battle, but that doesn't change the long list of faults the beta has. In KZ2 you just needed some 8v8 room with no rockets or boost to enjoy an immediate much better experience, now I cannot afford to waste hours and hours until KZ3 beta matchmaking puts me in a balanced game where my team mates know how to play or actually go for the objectives.

I'm pretty sure once the retail game is out we'll be playing together with GAF and thus I'll be having a much better time with the game.

KZObsessed said:
Whoever mentioned reading the tutorials on Beta site cheers. They list new weapon lay outs.

Tact now starts with a silenced SMG and gets M82 instead of StA-14
Medic gets a silenced M82 now... yep.
Engineer seems to get an entirely different SMG.
Marksman gets the StA-52 Assault Rifle instead of SMG.
Infiltrator I think is the same. edit: nope the StA-52 is silenced!

Interesting. Tactician with M82 thank god :D

any idea why they suddenly decided to silence most weapons?
IMO giving infiltrators a silenced weapon is adding salt to the wound.

Have any of the developers mentioned that they are sorting out:

Adding more health
More recoil in ADS
Increasing respawn times
Fixing the medic bots
etc?

I'm waiting for a patch to play again. I do not feel compelled to play any more of this until things change.

JB1981

Can someone please explain to me how mortar strikes are supposed to work? If I am understanding this right, after you cap a tactical spawn point you are then given access to mortars. Ok. So instead of actually calling in a mortar strike for a location distant from your position, the game instead gives you a "mortar grenade" which you can only throw about 10 feet in front of you, which puts your life in danger if you don't sprint away immediately after throwing it? Is this correct?????? V

TheFatOne

JB1981 said:
Can someone please explain to me how mortar strikes are supposed to work? If I am understanding this right, after you cap a tactical spawn point you are then given access to mortars. Ok. So instead of actually calling in a mortar strike for a location distant from your position, the game instead gives you a "mortar grenade" which you can only throw about 10 feet in front of you, which puts your life in endanger if you don't sprint away immediately after throwing it? Is this correct?????? V

Yup

X-Frame

JB1981 said:
Can someone please explain to me how mortar strikes are supposed to work? If I am understanding this right, after you cap a tactical spawn point you are then given access to mortars. Ok. So instead of actually calling in a mortar strike for a location distant from your position, the game instead gives you a "mortar grenade" which you can only throw about 10 feet in front of you, which puts your life in endanger if you don't sprint away immediately after throwing it? Is this correct?????? V

Lol. GG likes grenades for various features.

Actually, if you angle yourself upwards enough you can toss that mortar "thing" a pretty good distance. It takes off like a Nerf Football.

Lince

Banned
it's like a CoD killstreak reward but done wrong

- respawns every minute (leading to mortar strikes fests)
- you toss the nade and pray it lands where it's useful
- or you do a suicide run with it and actually make sure you toss it where it's useful
- or simply grab it and use it for a cheap kill ignoring whatever your team needs

another weird design decision, if they're going to keep that shit for the retail build at least make the respawn time way longer.

subversus

JB1981 said:

hold throw button, this shit flies pretty far.

JB1981

Wow another head scratcher .....

Man, I wish I had video capture to show that the SMG and LMG literally have no recoil while aiming down sight. You can hold down R1 the entire clip and the reticle DOESN'T MOVE. This is not an exaggeration. The gun DOES. NOT. MOVE. It's a win button!!!

I never thought I'd see the day where the Call of Duty series has more realistic gun feedback than Killzone!

And a trivial point but the game announcers are terrrrrriiiiibad.

mr_nothin

Banned
Lagspike_exe said:

They're probably just tuning what's simple to modify in the engine. I expect another beta with a completely new client.

The game doesn't feel ANYTHING like CoD. In TDM, feeling is entirely different than what we find in CoD. And some people compared Operations to BC2 Rush and although if we compared them on paper they would indeed be similar, the moving/shooting feel is hugely different in KZ3 than in BC2. Killzone was always meant for Warzone and that game mode fits the game absolutely perfectly.
You're wrong, killzone 2 beta didn't start with near final code and I keep seeing ppl say this. They rolled it out in phases and each phase had patches so ppl could test out the "fixes" that were made. It was made into a " near final beta". Stop spreading misinformation$

JB1981 said:
Wow another head scratcher .....

Man, I wish I had video capture to show that the SMG and LMG literally have no recoil while aiming down sight. You can hold down R1 the entire clip and the reticle DOESN'T MOVE. This is not an exaggeration. The gun DOES. NOT. MOVE. It's a win button!!!

I never thought I'd see the day where the Call of Duty series has more realistic gun feedback than Killzone!

And a trivial point but the game announcers are terrrrrriiiiibad.

And with the m82 and SMG, there is virtually no recoil even when firing from the hip. You literally just hold R1.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
KZObsessed said:
Whoever mentioned reading the tutorials on Beta site cheers. They list new weapon lay outs.

Hey FFO, I think they read my post of which guns should each class have available

Silenced?, the fuck?....really....really!?

Why do GG take 1 step forward 3 steps back

God, I'm done, rental that's it, first it was Day 1 $129.99 uber edition, fuck that noise, no thanks I'm opting for rental

dorkimoe

Gold Member
mr_nothin said:
You're wrong, killzone 2 beta didn't start with near final code and I keep seeing ppl say this. They rolled it out in phases and each phase had patches so ppl could test out the "fixes" that were made. It was made into a " near final beta". Stop spreading misinformation$

half the betas/alphas ive played never have any changes in retail

cant wait to play today weee. need to rank up :) and play the other maps i didnt know about

X-Frame

So they're going to throw in multiple silenced weapons into the game for no reason, and on top of that not include them into the beta for testing?

I have a baaaaaaaad feeling about this ..

subversus

God, I need this rocket launcher. I almost had that point, the match was fantastic, but the game locked up at the end. Grrrrrrrrrrr....

JardeL

It seems Indian store KZ3 Beta is shareable, lots of people reporting that they downloaded it from the same account and all are playing at the same time.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
JardeL said:
It seems Indian store KZ3 Beta is shareable, lots of people reporting that they downloaded it from the same account and all are playing at the same time.
We did that earlier in the thread and were unable to do so. Not shareable at least according to this thread.

DMeisterJ

Banned
KZObsessed said:

:eek: Nice changes.

I played a dozen or so matches yesterday, and then couldn't find any. Really liked the improved controls over KZ2, but I haven't played that since the patch. Did the patches make the aiming identical or is KZ3's aiming still different from KZ2?

Lagspike_exe said:
Because most people don't know what an Alpha build is. Does it say "Beta Code" in the upper part of the screen or does it say "Alpha Code"?

It makes no difference. This is the game. All you will see in the final release is framerate optimization, completely new UI, more maps, more weapons, and some fixes to balancing issues.

GG isn't going to change it all back to KZ2 without the lag, which is basically what people here want.

//B1G said:
ah, KZ2 feels so good.
it's almost the other way around - KZ2 is such an improvement from the beta.

So true. I've been playing KZ2 again and it so much more fresh. None of the kills feel cheap and warzone, even with random players, feels like a big team battle. And the map design is so much tighter. None of these random kills from all the way across the map.

H_Prestige said:
It makes no difference. This is the game. All you will see in the final release is framerate optimization, completely new UI, more maps, more weapons, and some fixes to balancing issues.

GG isn't going to change it all back to KZ2 without the lag, which is basically what people here want.

And you know this... how?

H_Prestige said:

Thank God for that.

Lagspike_exe said:
And you know this... how?

Thank God for that.

There are only a couple of months of dev time left. They aren't going to completely overhaul what they have done so far. There is no time and they don't even want to. It's common sense not super secret inside information.

Lince

Banned
played a couple of hours tonight but I wasn't lucky and every game I found was a camping fest, with terrible lag (framerate and connection lag), and of course plenty of infiltrators warping around, hilarious, if that class remains unchanged for the retail build then I'll be a motherfucking infiltrator with a silenced assault rifle just to piss everyone off. And the wall hack, oh the wall hack... it's ridiculous. At least I maxed out my Tactician so FFO if you're reading this I'm ready !

H_Prestige said:
There are only a couple of months of dev time left. They aren't going to completely overhaul what they have done so far. There is no time and they don't even want to. It's common sense not super secret inside information.
Regardless, they STILL need to delay this game to at least June, or July.

H_Prestige said:

Did you even imagine that they would add silencers to old weapons? Seems like they are. Do we even know how old is the build we're currently playing?

Besides, the game doesn't need an overhaul. It needs thorough polishing and whether it's going to get one, we'll see in a few months.

If you wanted KZ2 with new weapons, maps and dedicated server, well, I guess bad luck. After playing around 150 hours of KZ2, I really needed something fresh. KZ3 seems very good to me, and after all the glitches and balancing issues hopefully get fixed, I'll definitely allocate majority of my gaming time to its mp component in first half of the next year.

TacticalFox88 said:
Regardless, they STILL need to delay this game to at least June, or July.

You can't really claim that until a new client get available for testing.

pixelbox

Lagspike_exe said:
Did you even imagine that they would add silencers to old weapons? Seems like they are. Do we even know how old is the build we're currently playing?

Besides, the game doesn't need an overhaul. It needs thorough polishing and whether it's going to get one, we'll see in a few months.

If you wanted KZ2 with new weapons, maps and dedicated server, well, I guess bad luck. After playing around 150 hours of KZ2, I really needed something fresh. KZ3 seems very good to me, and after all the glitches and balancing issues hopefully get fixed, I'll definitely allocate majority of my gaming time to its mp component in first half of the next year.

You can't really claim that until a new client get available for testing.
He can't. But he has a point: "That's a nice list of weapons.

My thinking though is that by giving the Marksman the Counter S&M there will be occasions where whilst playing in a squad you'll be required to come down from your snipers nest and lead the squad through a well spotted area and that to do that, you'll need an all situations weapon like one of the AR's.

I wanted to give the Marsman the ability to do a little more than just 'snipe' he felt a little too one dimensional to me.

What are your thoughts guys?"

This was a quote by one of the DEV's "acidfish" (more like he's on acid) -_-. Try to justify this idiocy. Sure we don't know what's going on but things like this gives us a clue and the verdict is not good.

Draft

I never drank the Koolaid for KZ2. You say the aiming and movement has weight, I say it's sluggish. If KZ3 has abandoned that for something similar to how most FPS games play, good.

pixelbox said:
He can't. But he has a point: "That's a nice list of weapons.

My thinking though is that by giving the Marksman the Counter S&M there will be occasions where whilst playing in a squad you'll be required to come down from your snipers nest and lead the squad through a well spotted area and that to do that, you'll need an all situations weapon like one of the AR's.

I wanted to give the Marsman the ability to do a little more than just 'snipe' he felt a little too one dimensional to me.

What are your thoughts guys?"

This was a quote by one of the DEV's "acidfish" (more like he's on acid) -_-. Try to justify this idiocy. Sure we don't know what's going on but things like this gives us a clue and the verdict is not good.

OK, that's really bad designing, I completely agree. From what I've seen, I like the game, or rather, I like the idea they're heading to. Verdict still has to be made though, but the next big patch/new client/whatever they release is going to be pretty-much the closest thing we'll get to the gold version.
Unless they delay the game.
That's why I'm trying not to judge the game on small issues that can be easily fixed and I'm waiting for the near-final code that will give me an insight in what will truly become KZ3.

JB1981

Draft said:
I never drank the Koolaid for KZ2. You say the aiming and movement has weight, I say it's sluggish. If KZ3 has abandoned that for something similar to how most FPS games play, good.
The new controls are fine with me, it's the absence of recoil on most weapons while ADS that is the real disappointment. Player health needs a boost as well since R1 is now a win button

JB1981

Did they change the art director? Corinth and turbine have a shit grain filter all over everything and the game looks like ass! Frozen Dam looks good though. Overall I prefer the look of KZ2 .... I also wish they'd tweak the FOV. Game still gives u tunnel vision.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
JB1981 said:
Did they change the art director? Corinth and turbine have a shit grain filter all over everything and the game looks like ass! Frozen Dam looks good though. Overall I prefer the look of KZ2 .... I also wish they'd tweak the FOV. Game still gives u tunnel vision.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24489424&postcount=6202

whether their ex-level designer was in charge of the art though, I don't know. The MLAA makes it look much different from KZ2.

pixelbox

Lagspike_exe said:
OK, that's really bad designing, I completely agree. From what I've seen, I like the game, or rather, I like the idea they're heading to. Verdict still has to be made though, but the next big patch/new client/whatever they release is going to be pretty-much the closest thing we'll get to the gold version.
Unless they delay the game.
That's why I'm trying not to judge the game on small issues that can be easily fixed and I'm waiting for the near-final code that will give me an insight in what will truly become KZ3.

I'll stop you now. THERE WILL BE NO OTHER BETA PHASE. This is it. Motherh66 already said so.

pixelbox

JB1981 said:
Part of this "FOV" is due to the camera being placed on the character's chest instead in the head which GG claims to have fixed. As someone already said here the "beta" was literally thrown together and send out. I've found many objects in the beta that were in KZ2. Things like the toilet, textures and other little objects have been reused for this beta so i wouldn't expect anything to be final. I think we can all agree that although this is alpha code, many things are wrong with the very core of this build. And that's the scary part.

Top Bottom