• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall | Full Forest level gameplay | Best looking game of show?

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Killzone Shadowfall looks nice, but I am sad they went away from the fascist-chic art design of 2 and 3.

I hated Killzone 3 and this looked amazing. COLORS EVERYWHERE! And the gameplay looks much more interesting and varied compared to any other Killzone game. Hopefully this pierces through the CoD crowd

KZSF does look boring. Titanfall and The Division impressed me with gameplay.

Titanfall looks pretty awesome as far as gameplay goes, I agree. But The Division? The graphics are amazing but the gameplay looks like your typical pop-and-shoot third person cover shooter. Plus for a game going with the realistic aesthetics it's quite odd to see enemies with huge life bars bleed numbers and only going down after several shots. It looks like boring "raid" gameplay in MMOs. Heck, it even looks like the same typical roles of Tank, Damage, and Healer (I saw that Megan player doing the remote healing out there). I guess if you like quest fetching and raids it's cool.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
it looks fine, but i was expecting killzone to look among the very best of what weve seen thus far for next gen, and imo, there are quite a few titles that look better.

Shayan

Banned
it looks fine, but i was expecting killzone to look among the very best of what weve seen thus far for next gen, and imo, there are quite a few titles that look better.

such as?

It looks as good as any game ever seen at e3 if not better

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Still for some reason people are under selling how good this looks. For the record they showed the city playable again and it looks amazing as well.

Not digging the new art direction. Doesn't look like KZ anymore.

Luckily i dont really care about the SP, just concerned with MP.....give it to me GG

I hated Killzone 3 and this looked amazing. COLORS EVERYWHERE! And the gameplay looks much more interesting and varied compared to any other Killzone game. Hopefully this pierces through the CoD crowd
Colors are what killed KZ3 for me. KZ2 had it perfect with the dark and gritty atmosphere. It wasn't generic "grey," it was really well done, quite artistic, and really pulled you into the world with a real hopeless feeling. Combine that with the smart and resourceful AI and all the close combat battles it was amazing in my opinion.

KZ3 added more colors and more ADS which really killed a lot of it for me (though multiplayer wouldn't of been so bad if they kept spawn grenades). Shadow Fall has me even more nervous with how it's going to turn out, the Helghast just seem so out of place in a pretty forest in broad daylight. Still there's some moments in this gameplay where you start to see this vibrant world they created begin to fall apart and the combat get close and personal, so I'm keeping some hope. I highly doubt it'll connect with me as much as KZ2 though.

I do like how open it is, that is nice. But people are acting like KZ2 and 3 were all corridors (as in very linear, not literally all corridors). The KZ2 and 3 I remember playing had many large sections where you could experiment and approach the situation from multiple angle, but obviously not to quite this degree.

Esch

Banned
The lighting looks pretty damn great, but it feels like something is missing. Some of the other games we saw had this CG like quality to them, maybe something to do with ambient occlusion or textures. The game looks great, but not as good as 1886, Division, The Witcher 3... I can't put my finger on what's missing, so that's irritating. I do recall guerilla games saying that they had no idea the PS4 was going to have as much RAM as it has, maybe its still a WIP?

Still looks gorgeous though, nitpicking.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'm getting Resistance 1 vibes, and some might not like that, but it has nothing to do with the visuals, I'm just excited about the all the gadgets. Scanning through walls and the owl shield reminds me of the auger quite a bit. Will be awesome if ISA has a power and Helghast have a power simliar to FOM.

Two words: Pop ins

Pisses me off to no end. I'll take sparser environment, lowered detail and lower resolution (pre-upscaled) over this.

It's too bad - I was really hoping pop-in would become a thing of the past on PS4 (or at least much less than PS3).

I'm getting Resistance 1 vibes, and some might not like that, but it has nothing to do with the visuals, I'm just excited about the all the gadgets. Scanning through walls and the owl shield reminds me of the auger quite a bit. Will be awesome if ISA has a power and Helghast have a power simliar to FOM.

I really like how without losing the mix they're sliding a tad more advanced scifi in.

Also I'm sure there will be plenty of time spent on the other side of the wall too, for the darker stuff.

Fistwell

Looks good. Foliage looks very weird to me though. "Waving" in the wind as if it was underwater, doesnt seem to react to the player's movements much either. Does look good overall though. And charge shot looks fun.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

The capture troopers were the thing I liked in KZ3. I prefer the 2nd one just because the plot seemed a lot better. KZ3 seemed to end on a cliffhanger. Like there is still a lot left to the universe. Plus those swamps/forests in KZ3 left a lot to be desired.

KZ3
372px-Kz3-capture--article_image.jpg

Splint

the art direction is still the same. a forrest is a forrest. This is a different planet. Im sure KZ2/3 settings will be in the helghast cities, just not the weather.

This is how KZ1 looked

It looks and sounds fun. The zip-lining, stealth/different order to do missions, etc. Looks like a classic arcade FPS like perfect dark or 007 with the gadgets. Unlike boring linear nonsense.

KZ3 had jet packs and mechs so I dont see what Titanfall is doing thats much different other than the speed of COD.

KZ3 had jet packs and mechs so I dont see what Titanfall is doing thats much different other than the speed of COD.

Totally agree with this.

Also, I think it would be good to not jump between the two settings, I think I'd like them to let the atmosphere sink in and not be too jumpy, unless there's a reason for it.

Technically it looks great but I am simply not buying the art direction of this level. Destiny's showing had way more impressive graphics (from art POV).

Or maybe I am just over games like BF/ COD/ KZ? I am definitely more interested in the MMOFPSes of next-gen like Destiny and Titanfall.

Batzi

Banned
Killzone is pretty much like Crysis..showcasing graphics while the game itself sucks and is pretty much boring. I might be too picky when it comes to FPS but ever since COD4 was released I fell in love with the game mechanics and pretty much anything that plays like it is instant buy for me so yea I can't wait for Call of Duty: Ghosts.

denx

Killzone looked good, but it wasn't the most visually impressive game of the show I think. That would be Battlefield 4 IMO.

Bishop89

very interesting to hear the levels are more opened, and correct me if im wrong but i think i heard that the level will load and you will have a choice of what mission you want to take a stab at first.

Glad to hear its less linear

Shayan

Banned
Killzone looked good, but it wasn't the most visually impressive game of the show I think. That would be Battlefield 4 IMO.

what ? a bad joke right? BF4 doesnt even look true next gen . Destiny was a multiplat game which looked good but i dont know how it would look on xone though

oh my fucking god this game is beautiful. Sess provides us with some new footage.
http://youtu.be/pEwM_zS-y8E?t=5m17s

amazing draw distance. They made this open world. Hopefully the thrills of corridor SP campaign would still be there. As for MP, I trust GG . They dont disappoint

nib95

Banned
what ? a bad joke right? BF4 doesnt even look true next gen . Destiny was a multiplat game which looked good but i dont know how it would look on xone though

amazing draw distance. They made this open world. Hopefully the thrills of corridor SP campaign would still be there. As for MP, I trust GG . They dont disappoint

The hilarious thing is, so many people were downplaying KZ SF's visuals for being sky boxes and non geometry lol. Now it seems the game is more open ended.

There's a whole lot of geometry in some of these levels.

iWUOtwNqeqq8p.gif

ibkLh2II7UZlqe.gif

BF4 wasn't shown off on the PS4, not to mention it is running at 60FPS with destruction.

Looks good, but the gameplay doesnt seem that fun at all. Also didnt wow me as much as The Division or MGS5 in terms of pure clarity

Division gameplay looked pretty drab to me. Really, the visuals in that demo were nice, but didn't look particularly spectacular outside of the opening pan...

Top Bottom