• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall Review Thread

Damn, sounds like GG didn't make customization for Warzones as deep as I expected.

You CANT do 1 person w/ a pistol vs. 23 other guys with invisibility.

GG needs to allow those kinds of options, because if all we can do is set health, spawn, and abilities, the variability wont last. I'm guessing this is where they will sell us Expansion packs.

Coolwhip

Banned
I've never seen people this butthurt about a review score before. Killzone has ALWAYS been average. Always. If you are a fan, go buy the game and enjoy it. Who gives a fuck about reviews.

A lot of people seem to care about scores. Boggles my mind really that so many people blindly follow a number some random person gives to a videogame. Especially if it's some guy everyone here seems to 'hate' like Gies. Just don't give someone that's full of shit attention, the fact that Gies get's so much attention on this forum will only make his opinion matter more.

He has different opinions to me therefore everything he says must be wrong!

His Killzone review may be a load of rubbish. His opinions on the PS4 may be massively skewed, but saying he is useless at reviews because he has highly rated games you don't like is silly.

A 10 for Diablo 3 or ME 3 is pretty incredible though. But you are right different people, different preferences. I would have given both a 6 if I had to attach an arbitrary grade.

Lime

His Killzone review may be a load of rubbish. His opinions on the PS4 may be massively skewed, but saying he is useless at reviews because he has highly rated games you don't like is silly.

Read the damn writing. See how terrible that is. That alone should be sufficient to notice how a person who is supposed to use text and language to communicate their thoughts and ideas is simply not up to this task required of him.

Now consider the fact that Mass Effect 3 holds severe consensually-agreed upon fundamental flaws with its narrative. This is indisputable.

Now consider that Diablo 3 suffered at its time for lack of end-game balance and completely atrocious writing. This is indisputable.

There are well-argued opinions backed up by facts and then there are completely unsupported and evidentially unjustified "opinions". Arthur Gies performatively belongs in the latter.

Again I have to stress that this has nothing to do with the Killzone review, but Arthur Gies exemplary display of incompetence when reviewing Mass Effect 3, Diablo 3, and Dead Space 3. All are testimonies to how skewed his understanding of "quality" is.

Amir0x

Banned
Wow
Is he so terrible ?
Why ?

No, this is why he is wrong:

LNIytTX.png

He welched on a BET with a GAFer, and then refused to ever come back and pay up. He never returned to GAF. His excuse was he did lose the bet for exactly the reasons said, but for some reason it didn't count because he put the word in "scare quotes."

Evilore called him the most disreputable person in the enthusiast press

Recap: in the wake of the IGDA party dancer scandal, unsubstantiated Twitter rumors surface about women being paid to be in the VIP room of a Mojang party, apparently too attractive and numerous to possibly be there of their own volition (sexism much?). Mojang flatly deny claim and the source of the rumors is rooted out, essentially a game of Twitter Telephone, but a delusional feminist extremist crusader decrees that Notch is still at fault for people thinking that they were paid for even if they weren't, and that he should take some sort of action in reparation. Arthur Gies takes her side and promotes her on Twitter.

The OP is permed for going on a witch hunt (in conjunction with insane extremist posts afterwards) and refusing to update his thread after the attempt at scandal fell apart. Libelous, agenda-driven bullshit.

Arthur Gies is officially the most disreputable person in the enthusiast press.

Read his whole recap, because it's especially damning.

For months and months Arthur Gies has lashed out at gamers for criticizing the Xbox One. He lashed out at us for calling Adam Orth out on his shit. He constantly, and consistently makes up abject bullshit because he feels like it - beating the drum that Xbox One had some fucking secret component that would help it compete with the PS4. During the Sim City fiasco, he vigorously defended EA to the bitter end. Seriously, read this shit and check out all the links.

The fucking guy is one of the biggest morons ever to grace the enthusiast press.

Anonumos

Banned
A lot of people seem to care about scores. Boggles my mind really that so many people blindly follow a number some random person gives to a videogame. Especially if it's some guy everyone here seems to 'hate' like Gies. Just don't give someone that's full of shit attention, the fact that Gies get's so much attention on this forum will only make his opinion matter more.

Ditto. Are we seriously complaining that Polygon gave Killzone a bad score? Why the fuck should that matter? My 2 year old cousin also thinks it's shit. Go ahead and bitch about that too.

B.O.O.M

Who decided that Killzones primary component was multiplayer? To many people, it isnt.

Same thing that decided COD, BF etc are primarily about the MP...aka common sense. KZ does the SP campaign much better than those two however...doesn't change reality.

And yes I'm sure 'many' people play COD and BF for the SP too

Here's some example of IPs that the MP experience is secondary

Tomb Raider
Uncharted

Zoned

Actively hates charity

LNIytTX.png

He welched on a BET with a GAFer, and then refused to ever come back and pay up. He never returned to GAF. His excuse was he did lose the bet for exactly the reasons said, but for some reason it didn't count because he put the word in "scare quotes."

For months and months Arthur Gies has lashed out at gamers for criticizing the Xbox One. He lashed out at us for calling Adam Orth out on his shit. He constantly, and consistently makes up abject bullshit because he feels like it - beating the drum that Xbox One had some fucking secret component that would help it compete with the PS4. During the Sim City fiasco, he vigorously defended EA to the bitter end. Seriously, read this shit and check out all the links.

The fucking guy is one of the biggest morons ever to grace the enthusiast press.

WOW. Holy shit.

McLovin

After checking out Arthurs review I'm kind of bummed. Some of his complaints mirror the sfuff I hated from Killzone 2. Specifically the lack of direction at key points and the random difficulty spikes. I doubt the game is a 5/10 though.

Seanspeed

Banned
Killzone gets a few bad reviews and people are apparently out on a mission to discredit absolutely anything bad said about it anywhere because after all the months and months of hyping the system and its super specs, people forget that sometimes making great games is what matters most in the end.

Not that Killzone isn't great. Some people obviously will feel it is. But a lot of people don't, looking at the reviews. Enough that I'm pretty sure its probably not the revolutionary, kill'em'all, CoD/Battlefield contender that a lot of Sony fans were hoping for.

Which is cool. Its a launch game. I think people's hype have gotten the better of them and a bit of reality might actually calm things down a bit and bring the talk away from resolution-gate and whatnot to actually gaming again.

Looks like it's pretty good but nothing too exciting. The development team has always been pretty average imo when it comes to everything outside of visuals. I imagine Sony cares more about using them for showcasing hardware which is why they treat them as a top-tiered developer.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Killzone gets a few bad reviews and people are apparently out on a mission to discredit absolutely anything bad said about it anywhere because after all the months and months of hyping the system and its super specs, people forget that sometimes making great games is what matters most in the end.

I agree with what you said.

But some people here are questioning the credibility of these reviewers like Arthur Gies, which is clearly a moron, as AmirOx explained. That polygon reviewer and his reviews are seriously a joke.

B.O.O.M

Not that Killzone isn't great. Some people obviously will feel it is. But a lot of people don't, looking at the reviews. Enough that I'm pretty sure its probably not the revolutionary, kill'em'all, CoD/Battlefield contender that a lot of Sony fans were hoping for.

Which is cool. Its a launch game. I think people's hype have gotten the better of them and a bit of reality might actually calm things down a bit and bring the talk away from resolution-gate and whatnot to actually gaming again.

who the hell hoped for that? Or did you just pull that out of your ass? People are talking about the games. People are discussing reviews in a review thread. People have talked in length about gameplay mechanics too. Sony fans are not some unique creatures. Like everyone else they can talk about multiple things. Just because they place importance on performance doesn't mean they don't put importance on gameplay.

What's the point of your comment exactly? Letting others know of your imaginary view on a situation?

The issue is having a confirmed ms shill like polygon give it a 5. It's a ridiculous score.

LNIytTX.png

I wish this post could accompany every mention of polygon on gaf.

Kydd BlaZe

Killzone 2 definitely seems like the high point of the series. I've played 1,2, & 3, and while I'm a pretty big fan of the series, I've only thoroughly enjoyed Killzone 2. I didn't really like the direction GG took with Killzone 3, and now Shadow Fall seems to be a bit middling. Shadow Fall was THE reason I pre-ordered a PS4, but after these reviews I think I can wait on it. My hype just deflated tremendously.

I'll probably pick up a PS4 next year when games like Infamous and The Order release, and Shadow Fall drops in price a bit.

jem0208

LNIytTX.png

I'm not saying he isn't an idiot. I'm saying that the post was a bit stupid

daman824

Couldn't have said it better myself. It's obvious the reviews are far from what a lot of people here were expecting and because that upsets them, they freak out at reviewers.

Geis may be shit, but if he gave the game an 8 or 9 out of ten, this thread would have gone a lot differently.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm not saying he isn't an idiot. I'm saying that the post was a bit stupid

Right, but it just plays into the rhetoric - he is stupid, his analysis is horrific of everything, and that is why he should be ignored. SOME people may be dismissing Arthur Gies because he gave Killzone a 5 or whatever. I am not. I've never even been a fan of the KZ series. I am simply illustrating why this actually is a case where everyone should ignore that review. It's a disservice to gamers everywhere to ever listen to him.

Pryce

Damn, sounds like GG didn't make customization for Warzones as deep as I expected.

You CANT do 1 person w/ a pistol vs. 23 other guys with invisibility.

GG needs to allow those kinds of options, because if all we can do is set health, spawn, and abilities, the variability wont last. I'm guessing this is where they will sell us Expansion packs.

Really? Kin of wishing I could cancel my Amazon order and switch Killzone out with NBA 2K or FIFA.

Damn this thread is depressing.

Alright, check this out: I've never played a Killzone game before. Not 1, not 2, not 3, not the Vita game. I've played BF3 and kinda stopped playing it pretty early on. I enjoyed the maps with no vehicles quite a bit, but I started playing other games entirely that I never came back to BF. I don't fault BF3 for that; I stopped playing damn near all my FPS games in favor of Dota2 and League of Legends. Just got burned out on the genre a bit with all the years of Halo, TF2, and CoD. To that end, I haven't played an FPS seriously for at least 2 years...but now I'm back for more FPS entertainment.

So my question is...should I trade the copy of Killzone I just picked up in for BF4? BF4 seems less polarizing at the moment, but KZ is more visually attractive. I don't care about the SP of either game, as I buy FPS games for the multiplayer and will play the game for several months if the MP is good. What's the word on KZ multiplayer right now? Has anyone reputable compared it to BF4 multiplayer?

B.O.O.M

Alright, check this out: I've never played a Killzone game before. Not 1, not 2, not 3, not the Vita game. I've played BF3 and kinda stopped playing it pretty early on. I enjoyed the maps with no vehicles quite a bit, but I started playing other games entirely that I never came back to BF. I don't fault BF3 for that; I stopped playing damn near all my FPS games in favor of Dota2 and League of Legends. Just got burned out on the genre a bit with all the years of Halo, TF2, and CoD. To that end, I haven't played an FPS seriously for at least 2 years...but now I'm back for more FPS entertainment.

So my question is...should I trade the copy of Killzone I just picked up in for BF4? BF4 seems less polarizing at the moment, but KZ is more visually attractive. I don't care about the SP of either game, as I buy FPS games for the multiplayer and will play the game for several months if the MP is good. What's the word on KZ multiplayer right now? Has anyone reputable compared it to BF4 multiplayer?

They offer very different takes on MP. Both are great in their own way. (talking about the franchises/IP here btw, not these particular entries)

Best advice I can give you is to check some gameplay vids online and see what might jive with you more. I like em both

LNIytTX.png

I've disliked Gies from the first time I heard his smarmy voice on RebelFM. He was the number one reason I stopped listening to that podcast. He is a turd of the highest degree and you just put into writing everything that is wrong with him. I'm not at all surprised he was white knighting for that whole Mojang hired women "scandal". He's a disingenuous twat.

The same thing will happen next week; this isn't unique to the PS4 or it's games. KZ has never really been given a fair shake; it had to be revolutionary and innovative with each iteration, otherwise it was considered bland, generic, etc., while the masses ate up the same exact COD/Battlefield games every year. It is what it is; some things you just can't explain.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Same thing that decided COD, BF etc are primarily about the MP...aka common sense. KZ does the SP campaign much better than those two however...doesn't change reality.

And yes I'm sure 'many' people play COD and BF for the SP too

Here's some example of IPs that the MP experience is secondary

Tomb Raider
Uncharted

No matter how you feel about the games focus, which doesn't account for the rest of the gaming world btw, it doesn't change the fact that most reviewers will play the campaign through as fast as possible and a few hours of multiplayer. They need to get that review up in time, son.

Also, lol@ Killzones passable campaigns being in the same league as CoD's best, let alone better.

Guerilla just needs to go out and do something else. I doesn't matter if Killzone is good or okay. Maybe even several "something elses". It doesn't have to be an FPS. Just go out and start some new franchises and spread those creative wings out.

And if they do continue the Killzone franchise, I think it should be a multiplayer only title.

Mrbob

I play BF4 on PC and the multi is the real deal. If your only objective is multi I'd probably leans towards BF4. I'm expecting BF4 to hang around until BF5 is out.

Now, to be fair, I've never played Killzone before Shadow Fall. My copy of SF just came from Amazon so I'm looking forward to trying this series out for the first time. There look to be some interesting hooks in KZ multiplayer this time as well. I'd only trust these reviews so far with regards to single player. No one has had the full MP experience yet in Killzone.

Couldn't have said it better myself. It's obvious the reviews are far from what a lot of people here were expecting and because that upsets them, they freak out at reviewers.

Geis may be shit, but if he gave the game an 8 or 9 out of ten, this thread would have gone a lot differently.

Like when he gave Simcity a 9.5? That went over real well.

We've been through this many times, with multiple games. Skyward Sword, Uncharted 3, Halo 4, and the Last of Us. It's just one man's opinion, and that's all that it is. Killzone Shadow Fall is the must have launch game, and I am personally super stoked to play it. Some of ya'll are taking this a little too far :), is anyone excited about seeing that 1080p Killzone Gameplay in 60 FPS??

I want to feel the gameplay and the responsiveness too. No auto aim, 60 fps, the aiming must be tight and in itself is an achievement.

I love when a fps try to be different. I loved time splitters games and PD0. As long as your game is not shitty and broken like Haze, I will enjoy it.

Resistance 3 has a metacritic of 83 and it's one of my favorite fps exeprience in recent years.

No review mentions the things who matter to me. They only talk about generic and boring shit like scenario and cutscenes. Who cares about that, tell me more about the aiming, the level design, the replay value and the various difficulty level, how hard is it to platinum and is it challenging ? They don't even know if a game is 1080p or not, can't even tell framerate either, how the hell could they tell if a game has tight control or analyse a level design ?

Reviewers don't seem to enjoy gaming like I do anymore.

I'm counting on US gaf to tell me if killzone is worthy of my "two weeks later" euro purchase.

They offer very different takes on MP. Both are great in their own way. (talking about the franchises/IP here btw, not these particular entries)

Best advice I can give you is to check some gameplay vids online and see what might jive with you more. I like em both

I play BF4 on PC and the multi is the real deal. If your only objective is multi I'd probably leans towards BF4. I'm expecting BF4 to hang around until BF5 is out.

Now, to be fair, I've never played Killzone before Shadow Fall. My copy of SF just came from Amazon so I'm looking forward to trying this series out for the first time. There look to be some interesting hooks in KZ multiplayer this time as well. I'd only trust these reviews so far with regards to single player. No one has had the full MP experience yet in Killzone.
Understood, gentlemen. I'll keep my eyes open over the next couple of days before making a decision. I might just end up with both, but I'll feel dumb if I buy both and end up playing one for 90% of my FPS fix, which is usually what ends up happening.

Gartooth

I don't see the controversy with the Killzone reviews, at least compared to something like the Knack reviews. It scored overall between the 7 and 8.5 range which is mostly par for the course for this series. (for the record I think Killzone 3 should have been around mid-high 7's overall despite getting an 8.4 on Metacritic)

I think Sony brought these scores upon themselves by forcing the reviewers to play the games in a controlled environment in a short amount of time. That's part of the reason I'm assuming that the reviewers are off-base in regards to the game's quality; they had to marathon the game's single player to completion which left little time to experiment with the overall multiplayer. I would think that if most shooters were judged based mostly on the strengths of their campaigns and just a taste of the multiplayer, they too would have much lower scores.

We've been through this many times, with multiple games. Skyward Sword, Uncharted 3, Halo 4, and the Last of Us. It's just one man's opinion, and that's all that it is. Killzone Shadow Fall is the must have launch game, and I am personally super stoked to play it. Some of ya'll are taking this a little too far :), is anyone excited about seeing that 1080p Killzone Gameplay in 60 FPS??

Well said. Enjoying giant bombs quick look.

No matter how you feel about the games focus, which doesn't account for the rest of the gaming world btw, it doesn't change the fact that most reviewers will play the campaign through as fast as possible and a few hours of multiplayer. They need to get that review up in time, son.

Also, lol@ Killzones passable campaigns being in the same league as CoD's best, let alone better.
I would put KZ 2's campaign above every other COD campaign, except maybe MW2.

Tookay

The same thing will happen next week; this isn't unique to the PS4 or it's games. KZ has never really been given a fair shake; it had to be revolutionary and innovative with each iteration, otherwise it was considered bland, generic, etc., while the masses ate up the same exact COD/Battlefield games every year. It is what it is; some things you just can't explain.

Well, I'd argue that's mostly because it never really found its own identity. It chased after the big boys in key areas, while never catching on with the things it did uniquely. And the identity it did find (or became known for) was the sluggish controls and delayed death reactions, which repelled some people.

Fezan

I don't see the controversy with the Killzone reviews, at least compared to something like the Knack reviews. It scored overall between the 7 and 8.5 range which is mostly par for the course for this series. (for the record I think Killzone 3 should have been around mid-high 7's overall despite getting an 8.4 on Metacritic)

I think Sony brought these scores upon themselves by forcing the reviewers to play the games in a controlled environment in a short amount of time
. That's part of the reason I'm assuming that the reviewers are off-base in regards to the game's quality; they had to marathon the game's single player to completion which left little time to experiment with the overall multiplayer. I would think that if most shooters were judged based mostly on the strengths of their campaigns and just a taste of the multiplayer, they too would have much lower scores.

Most review events are this way

Top Bottom