• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall Review Thread

Sweet Ivy

For those who really believe that Killzone generally has had mediocre gameplay I'd love to hear from you, which FPS has better game play and why (including multiplayer).

For the record, I'm not a strict Killzone fan, and I've had many favorites offers the years, specifics over there years from particular games in these series: Killzone, Counter-Strike, Battlefield, and F.E.A.R.
Second that :).

The difference is Killzone's multiplayer is considerably better than Crysis'. Problem is, journalists barely spend any time with it nor give it much thought in the overall reviews for these games.
Crysis MP is nice and different, but honestly gets boring quickly. I still think Crysis 3 MP was quite an improvement over Crysis 2, especially on maps design.
KZ maps design is unparalleled!

Sweet Ivy

Some of these reviews don't seem to be even in the same universe. Compare the Gametrailers review (one of the very few to spend more than a few seconds talking about the MP, if at all) with either the Kotaku or Polygon reviews. It almost seems like one review was made objectively, and the others had a decision and score already made up before the game was played.

For a game that is +50% MP that is indeed telling.
Also, KZ the series, on average, so far, has sported among the best SP campaigns for an FPS.

Ricker

My only beef with the game,and this is not necessarly a bad thing,is that it is harder then I thought on normal,so I die a lot(especially that forest level)...what I really hate is the checkpoint system that doesnt stay if you stop playing and come back(you are like 2 or 3 chekpoints behind)and some of the stuff on screen is so small that it gets lost in the awesome graphics...plus,looks like we will go another generation with small,unscalable 1080p fonts that you can barely read...the mission text for example is stupid small...

Besides that,loving the game so far...(up to the reveal part).

Boss Man

I hope everyone with a PS4 gives this game a shot. I only played a bit yesterday but the multiplayer is an absolute blast. I have a feeling this is going to be one of the ones we all look back on and wonder what the hell is wrong with game reviewers.

If you're not sure what to make of clashing opinions during console warz, just rent it and see for yourself. Luckily we can do that still (on both consoles).

Pretty surprised at the review scores as I expected them to be better. I just noticed 75 on Metacritic (yeah, I know.... Metacritic). Honestly, the only Killzone I've ever played and am familiar with is Liberation on the PSP which I thought to be an awesome game. I'll have to read some of these reviews but not having played the game and going by a few minutes of video I've seen, it looks good although nothing ground breaking when it comes to next (well, current as of now) gen graphics.

velociraptor

Unsurprisingly, it seems this review focuses on the multiplayer a lot. The multiplayer is definitely another league from the single player. The single player complaints I can understand now

Makes sense but I can't imagine the SP experience to be 'that bad'. Impressions on GAF seem to be positive on the whole.

In chapter 5 and I am enjoying it! The only thing I HATE about this game is the UI. I can't see shit on my 50inch sitting about 12 ft away. I think it's one of the reasons I am not using the owl so much. Also- I hate how the zip line is so sensitive to where you can attach. Annoying as hell. The AI can be dumb as hell too. Some of the maps require you to go someplace BEFORE it spawns enemies which takes me right out of the game. All in all a 7/10 experience so far. The game is fun though just need to make it a priority to use my owl more often.

Jhn

Actually, that reminds me of something I meant to ask those of you that are playing.
How does the whole zip-line mechanic work?
Is it fully dynamic, ie it can be used anywhere as long as the target is below and you have attach points?
Or perhaps, is it just a bunch of pre-placed zipline target points that you can attach to and nothing else? Because that would kind of suck.

Actually, that reminds me of something I meant to ask those of you that are playing.
How does the whole zip-line mechanic work?
Is it fully dynamic, ie it can be used anywhere as long as the target is below and you have attach points?
Or perhaps, is it just a bunch of pre-placed zipline target points that you can attach to and nothing else? Because that would kind of suck.

It's anywhere, but there is a max distance and a min distance. It isn't super useful, more a convenience thing so you don't have to climb down ladders, and I think they use it to gate some of the levels (you can't backtrack upward).

I can see how the SP isn't for everyone, but I'm not really understanding why the story is getting slagged so badly compared to what else has come out this year. It's not a revelation or anything, but it's perfectly decent winter action movie (fluff) vehicle for the gameplay.

Eusis

Read the start, think that "squandered potential" is looking to kick in where I am and really does show the bad reactions it's gotten. A shame, it sounded promising whereas we know what to get with CoD and everyone saw the incoming wreck for BF4 and either didn't care or lamented DICE seriously feels that design path is better than adapting MP's gameplay to SP or doing literally anything other than a heavily scripted campaign.

EDIT:
Imagine if reviewers reviewed BF4 on mainly it's SP...

TBH, DICE were pretty big in pushing the SP too ( well, kinda)

Kinda unfair.
Well, BF has a strong reputation as an MP shooter, and pretty much advertised that their campaign would once again be some heavily scripted thing, but "this time it will be better!" even though it didn't sound like they were going to do anything interesting gameplay wise. Killzone seems to have a better campaign track record, and Shadow Fall for me caught attention FOR gameplay promises it actively strives to hit, so failing to meet those is kinda frustrating.

Norml

I was looking at the reviews today and it seems metacritic got the Gaming Age score wrong. They gave it a B- and metacritic shows a 67.What's up with that?

I found some delicious cake in a locker.
BZzOPINCMAAxIr1.jpg:large

I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but is there any particular reason why Metacritic is blatantly ignoring Jeremy Parish's 2/5 review for USgamer?

This game is WAY better than the reviews give it. I would give Multiplayer alone a B. If you are tired of COD and want to switch it up. This is it.

S¡mon

Banned
What surprises me the most is that Europeans gaming websites seem to be way more positive about Killzone: Shadow Fall than American gaming websites.
Europeans reviews aren't up yet, but if you read some European websites, you'll already hear opinions about it - which are mostly, if not all, positive.

tfur

S¡mon;91397518 said:
What surprises me the most is that Europeans gaming websites seem to be way more positive about Killzone: Shadow Fall than American gaming websites.
Europeans reviews aren't up yet, but if you read some European websites, you'll already hear opinions about it - which are mostly, if not all, positive.

If you played the multi player, and gave it a little bit of time to get used to the harder lack of auto aim, you would give the game a positive review. It is as simple as that.

The MP is actually really good, it just takes a bit of skill and time to get used to all of the abilities.

I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but is there any particular reason why Metacritic is blatantly ignoring Jeremy Parish's 2/5 review for USgamer?

Did you really bump this thread, after nobody posted for 2 days, just to wonder why the Metacritic isn't lower overall?

Wow! Sure, not a conspiracy theorist, but...........

Schrade

He's not really the type of gamer that I would want giving any sort of review score for a FPS. Hope his score stays out.

Top Bottom