• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall Review Thread

Sterling spend any time with the multiplayer?

Yes. He always does and wrote about it fairly extensively in the review.

HIs 7 = about a regular 8. That is, of course, disappointing to me. KZ2 felt like a 9-10 to me at the time, so I was hoping for better. It being a launch game certainly did not help.

Yes. He always does and wrote about it fairly extensively in the review.

Word.

HIs 7 = about a regular 8. That is, of course, disappointing to me. KZ2 felt like a 9-10 to me at the time, so I was hoping for better. It being a launch game certainly did not help.
Well it may be better. Expectations for shooters change over time. And really, without any populated servers, I'd suspect it's difficult to give the best MP review you can give.

The people streaming are having trouble finding 8 people to play in the MP with, let alone a full room.

Good review, and at least covers the MP aspect in several paragraphs. There campaign does seem to have a fair share of dull moments which, I guess, is what knocked off most of the points from what I could tell. Surprised to see that he doesn't seem to think it's such a leap over PS3 graphically though.

Not really seeing where he is coming from on the visuals. It looks even better than BF4 to me: http://www.gamersyde.com/news_killzone_shadow_fall_video-14838_en.html

The last really impressive looking fps I played on current gen were Bioshock Infinite and Halo 4, and this looks far more impressive to me than either...

ZaCH3000

"Near-universally meh'ed" would be more accurate.

Anyhoo... Sterling is a big Killzone fan, and he gave it a seven. So there you go.

I read his review, and it read like he wasn't injecting his own biases into it because he is a fan. Instead, he takes an objective review approach and acknowledges some flaws within SP that other people might have that he doesn't particularly mind. He pretty much sums it up perfectly in his opening paragraph. If you are a Killzone fan you will love this game but he has his doubts on Shadow Falls' ability to appeal and impress the COD and BF gamer.

I read his review, and it read like he wasn't injecting his own biases into it because he is a fan. Instead, he takes an objective review approach and acknowledges some flaws within SP that other people might have that he doesn't particularly mind. He pretty much sums it up perfectly in his opening paragraph. If you are a Killzone fan you will love this game but he has his doubts on Shadow Falls' ability to appeal and impress the COD and BF gamer.

Yes, that's fair. The thing is I love KZ2... I don't love KZ3. I think it is reasonably good. So for me the bar was higher.

I watched some video reviews, and.... screw it. Even if the scenarios and/or story turn out mediocre in the end, I think it won't matter. I just love the way it looks. KZ2 and 3 had to resort to some kind of highly-saturated, shaded look to approximate THE TRAILER, but Shadowfall is just so clean and crisp and CG-ish.

I'll see what you have to say on the game. You're a reasonable poster and our tastes in shooters match up. I might pick this game up whenever I finally decide to buy a PS4 if you have a positive opinion of the game.
Will be happy to share impressions after giving it a few solid goes.

But for the short term I'll be under the deleterious effects of that new console smell. Gonna be breathing deep. Straight up huffing it for the first week easy ;P

Sendou

You're repeating a mantra that has been often flung around and expecting people to understand it is sarcasm. This is text, it does not convey sarcasm well.

Maybe you should upload voice messages to better convey your otherwise hidden meaning behind your posts.

See, that is sarcasm done right.

Yeah I'm aware of that. I just like to live on the edge like that. In any case I'm sorry I upset you.

That is indeed a fine use of sarcasm.
How did I do this time?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Surprised to see Sterling say the graphical leap isn't huge. Great review.
Isn't huge over what? Because KZ3 looks like garbage compared to this. Like literally, and it's not even up for discussion. I'm playing KZ3 right now, and maybe he should play it as a refresher instead of going by rose tinted glasses of what he remembers of it.

johntown

Banned
Consensus seems to be SP sucks which IMO is typical of most FPS games.

MP is good and that is all that really matters to me for this game. The SP is just a bonus.

Jim Sterling says "I'll never quite understand why, exactly, Killzone is not considered worthy of the same attention enjoyed by the likes of Halo, Call of Duty, or even FarCry."

I just want to point out that previous entries of killzone don't achieve 60fps in the MP (input latency is the worst thing possible in a fps). IIRC KZSF is 30fps SP and 60fps MP. If true, this is the biggest step towards becoming a bigger franchise than any of the past KZ improvements have accomplished.

I realize some may not have a problem with that. But I think that was the biggest thing holding the franchise back... now that it is gone we're going to have to wait and see. Lets face it, CoD ghosts was a bit of a flop this year, at least not nearly as successful as previous entries at the very least (and even to a much smaller extent halo 4). I think this is indicative of a stronger possibility of it being usurped this year. And while KZSF is not a multi-platform title it still can become a dominant force in the console space, the same way Halo is a dominant force.

So I wonder if KZ is finally living up to its "initial purpose" of being a strong contender against Halo.

Jim Sterling says "I'll never quite understand why, exactly, Killzone is not considered worthy of the same attention enjoyed by the likes of Halo, Call of Duty, or even FarCry."

I just want to point out that previous entries of killzone don't achieve 60fps in the MP (input latency is the worst thing possible in a fps). IIRC KZSF is 30fps SP and 60fps MP. If true, this is the biggest step towards becoming a bigger franchise than any of the past KZ improvements have accomplished.

I realize some may not have a problem with that. But I think that was the biggest thing holding the franchise back... now that it is gone we're going to have to wait and see. Lets face it, CoD ghosts was a bit of a flop this year, at least not nearly as successful as previous entries at the very least (and even to a much smaller extent halo 4). I think this is indicative of a stronger possibility of it being usurped this year. And while KZSF is not a multi-platform title it still can become a dominant force in the console space, the same way Halo is a dominant force.

So I wonder if KZ is finally living up to its "initial purpose" of being a strong contender against Halo.

Marketing a product as a rival to Halo was a major mistake to begin with. This marketing mistake brought uneccessary comparisons and criticisms.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

At least this one is 60fps in MP and is steadily above 30 in the campaign. I could see the next one being all 60fps.

i-Lo

It's getting decent scores all around with few outliers. I am happy that I preordered the game. Now, if only I had a PS4 to play it on.

ODST is a great game. The uproar and negative reaction that game got ONLY revolved around the price. Which was mentioned in almost every review.

ODST is perhaps my personal favourite Halo game. Its music still unparalleled within the franchise.

Eusis

It's getting decent scores all around with few outliers. I am happy that I preordered the game. Now, if only I had a PS4 to play it on.

ODST is perhaps my personal favourite Halo game. Its music still unparalleled within the franchise.
Yeah, I actually may like ODST the most of the Halo games, or at least more than most of them. Granted the open world was very half baked but the music and atmosphere were fantastic.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

ODST and Reach are my favs. I love ODST and wish more games would use it's structure.

The way I see it, even with a couple of extremely negative reviews Killzone is still going to easily sell enough for a decent community to form(at least initially). And once people actually play the game for themselves, if they enjoy it the reviews(regardless of whether they are positive or negative) won't matter as much.

Not really seeing where he is coming from on the visuals. It looks even better than BF4 to me: http://www.gamersyde.com/news_killzone_shadow_fall_video-14838_en.html

The last really impressive looking fps I played on current gen were Bioshock Infinite and Halo 4, and this looks far more impressive to me than either...

well, Sterling does game on PC. Crysis 3 looks pretty damn impressive on an expensive rig, so he might be comparing it to things like that. just a thought.

ODST is a great game. The uproar and negative reaction that game got ONLY revolved around the price. Which was mentioned in almost every review.

didn't mean for that to come out like it is a black mark on the series. i'm not much of a halo fan. there hasn't been a halo game that i enjoyed more than kz 2 or kz 3. just personal opinion but the point was if he considers halo games as "A rating" material then it is unlikely my opinion on a game (which is only that) would line up with this fellow. but we'll see tomorrow... we'll all see!

lt519

Played for about 2 hours in the multiplayer so far. The customization is great, played a few warzone rounds, actually went 3-0 in them. K/D of .88 though ); I'm super rusty in shooters, but I do play objectives and landed 3rd, 5th and 9th out of 14 in the three rounds. It is looking very promising so far. One thing I noticed though is that the maps are SMALL and have very specific chokepoints like I remember from Killzone 2. Not a bad thing, but it's tough to sneak around so far in the early stages.

Eusis

After renting Killzone Mercenary I guess it's not too huge of a surprise, depending on how much crossover there is between those two Guerilla studios anyway. Seriously, worst fucking final boss I've faced in the last several years and a lot of shit encounters beforehand, and the promise I saw earlier on DID dwindle. Come to think of it, Parish's review highlighted one of the things that bugged me with Mercenary, that once enemies saw you they'd always try to hunt you down.

Absinthe

For some reason I never play FPS single player campaigns.

The last one I played was MW2, which I finished, but since then I've owned Blops 1/2, BF3, Halo Reach, KZ3, MW3, and Halo 4 without playing any of their single player campaigns.

That is pretty crazy. Though, if your last taste was MW2, I can't 100% blame you.

Reach and 4 were good times.

Yeah, I played the crap out of the multiplayer :)

For some reason I never play FPS single player campaigns.

The last one I played was MW2, which I finished, but since then I've owned Blops 1/2, BF3, Halo Reach, KZ3, MW3, and Halo 4 without playing any of their single player campaigns.

That is pretty crazy. Though, if your last taste was MW2, I can't 100% blame you.

Reach and 4 were good times.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Jeff is a wild card sometimes when it comes to certain games, but it's not like his opinion is vastly different from the rest this time.

I see :(

I don't understand what went wrong. Guerrila have more than a capable machine at their disposal that's easy as hell to develop for and a huge budget from Sony...how did they develop such an average campaign?

watership

I don't understand what went wrong. Guerrila have more than a capable machine at their disposal that's easy as hell to develop for and a huge budget from Sony...how did they develop such an average campaign?

Don't get too upset. It's launch games. In the past few gens, there hasn't been a hugely standout amazing game at launch, outside of Halo 1. Killzone SF DOES looks amazing, and it's not broken. So temper your expectations and just enjoy the new graphics and the amazing controller.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I see now Sterling's quote about visuals. It sounded really like he wanted to put the emphasis of how good art direction is in this game, rather than giving all the credit to "GFX POWAR" which I can agree with, as that's something I'm most surprised with as well, considering the mess that is KZ3 visuals. The credit however has to go more to their technical artists. There's a lot of well used tech in this game that's simply not in your face, but without which this kind of art direction would not be possible.

Still, "not much of a leap from PS3" comment is kind of baffling. I guess he doesn't say compared to what, but no FPS on PS3 looks even remotely comparable to this. I really think he should replay some of them if he seriously believes what he wrote there.

ufo8mycat

The quality of a SP campaign has very little do with the hardware.

it's really up to the imagination and creativity of the designers.

To be honest, i was expecting this.

SP with Killzone was never it's strong point
Just like BF4 SP and COD SP, but maybe not to the same extent as those two games.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Don't get too upset. It's launch games. In the past few gens, there hasn't been a hugely standout amazing game at launch, outside of Halo 1. Killzone SF DOES looks amazing, and it's not broken. So temper your expectations and just enjoy the new graphics and the amazing controller.

Yup, you are spot on :)

I will enjoy it for what it is. The graphics and controller will immerse me into the game I am sure.

GECK

I did and i agree with him. ODST sucked major ass, and while halo 4 might not be the best halo campaign, it deserves better. I couldn't even finish odst because it was so damn boring.

ODST was a much better campaign and experience than Halo 4's, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

But that is probably because you never finished ODST.

I think people are wrong to focus on the Polygon score and disregard the actual review. There will always be score controversy for basically every game out there, which is only normal because game reviewing entails a lot of personal opinion and subjectivity. If people want to know if a review is good or not, they should read the text and see if the score matches the text, then point out the mentioned problems and decide if these disadvantages matter to them personally. This way you can get valuable information out of a review that actually sways you into a purchase, even if the score is low.

ODST was a much better campaign and experience than Halo 4's, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

But that is probably because you never finished ODST.

I finished it... found it really subpar by the series' standards. The hub gameplay especially.

Halo 4 had its issues (FUCKING BANSHEES + CRACK SHOT GRUNTS WITH PISTOLS!!!) but was pretty good.

This bit in Sterling's review:

Other new toys include the ability to perform melee kills while diving from high places, and tossing one's knife at a second enemy
, as well as hackable spider mines that can be sent to explode in an enemy's face.

Sounds exactly like this in Far Cry 3:
iPnrfk0tRI7Ba.gif

Anyone knows how it looks like in Shadow Fall?

Top Bottom