• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall Review Thread

gaming_noob

EBgames just called for my bro to let him know there will be a midnight launch TONIGHT. With Killzone. I can't believe next gen is almost here!

Cheech

My guess, mediocre campaign and fun multiplayer, but reviewers barely got to play multiplayer for enough time to promote it in their review.

BF4 campaign is shit as well but overall the game is praised after reviewers got to play a ton of multiplayer on one of the other many platforms they've had review copies for.

There have been some Killzone twitch streams today - shouldn't be hard to find.

I watched BF4, Killzone, Knack, and Madden today. The new video sharing feature is incredibly neat. I'm looking forward to other people using that feature to help me decide whether or not to buy a game, as normal people aren't under agreements with publishers like pro reviewers can be. Anyway.

Killzone's multiplayer looked incredibly generic. It looked ok, but nothing special. The levels were not very inspired either.

Graphically, it was impressive with a lot of neat effects, but BF4 was far better. FAR better. Which kind of surprised me; I guess I hadn't spent enough time looking at BF4 to know, but I was completely blown away by BF4.

I own Killzone, but will be returning it. I'd much rather spend my time in BF4.

There have been some Killzone twitch streams today - shouldn't be hard to find.

I watched BF4, Killzone, Knack, and Madden today. The new video sharing feature is incredibly neat. I'm looking forward to other people using that feature to help me decide whether or not to buy a game, as normal people aren't under agreements with publishers like pro reviewers can be. Anyway.

Killzone's multiplayer looked incredibly generic. It looked ok, but nothing special. The levels were not very inspired either.

Graphically, it was impressive with a lot of neat effects, but BF4 was far better. FAR better. Which kind of surprised me; I guess I hadn't spent enough time looking at BF4 to know, but I was completely blown away by BF4.

I own Killzone, but will be returning it. I'd much rather spend my time in BF4.

Or you can try it.

nib95

Banned

I have to completely disagree with this. Been watching similar streams all day, and even in the streams every single person playing said they were really enjoying the MP, even when they didn't enjoy the SP.

I don't know why people are so quick to call the MP generic either. Art and visuals are very unique. Map design is very well done. Lots of layering, verticality, and cleverly funnelled design. Multiple routes and points of access, but also areas where mini back and forth firefights continually take place which makes things more intimate.

Weapons look balanced too. In the streams the players switched through multiple weapons, and none of them seemed over powered or much better than the others. Add to that, the additional skills and features are pretty nice, cloaking, spawn beacons, turrets, drones, shields, stun grenades, medic sentries and so on, and general design seems to allow for a good amount of team work

Best of all though is the complete removal of auto aim. No auto aim at all. Something that neither BF4, COD or Halo have and that makes the gunplay in Shadow Fall purely skill based. That's a huge advantage to the game, especially to those after a more hardcore, true experience.

stevil

I LOVE the visuals, art and level design of this particular map. Seems really intricate and layered.

On a side note, this is the third streaming player today that has said the multiplayer is fantastic, stating that it's one of the best he's played. Comparing it to BF4 and Halo.
Maybe they are all paid by Sony (6)

One thing thats been bothering me with shooters like these the past generation, is there really any point in games like these having SP campaigns anymore? Most of the efforts are focused on MP game anyway which usually leads to subpar to mediocre campaigns. If SP is gonna be trash might as well not even bother with it and focus all those resources on making multiplayer even better.

Zen

Banned
Or you can try it.

They fun in the Killzone MP will probably come once people are playing it and designing their own modes and Guerilla starts unleashing free maps. It's going to have a slight LBP quality to it where I think it will take some time to find itself and hit its stride.

Booshka

One thing thats been bothering me with shooters like these the past generation, is there really any point in games like these having SP campaigns anymore? Most of the efforts are focused on MP game anyway which usually leads to subpar to mediocre campaigns. If SP is gonna be trash might as well not even bother with it and focus all those resources on making multiplayer even better.

The silent majority feels the opposite way, they barely if ever touch MP and just play the SP of these Shooters. Then they move on to the next game. Getting the full retail sale for a ton of players that just play the SP but ignore MP, makes it so these games have to have a Solo Campaign.

The silent majority feels the opposite way, they barely if ever touch MP and just play the SP of these Shooters. Then they move on to the next game. Getting the full retail sale for a ton of players that just play the SP but ignore MP, makes it so these games have to have a Solo Campaign.

I understand the need for SP because of consumers like that(I'm a primary solo player as well), it just irks me that SP is practically a secondary thought for games like these. I understand MP is a huge focus and all but it would be nice to get more effort into the SP campaign as well, otherwise imo they'd just be better off focusing all their efforts on MP.

Cheech

Map design is very well done. Lots of layering, verticality, and cleverly funnelled design. Multiple routes and points of access, but also areas where mini back and forth firefights continually take place which makes things more intimate.

I think maybe it's personal taste too. I've been playing multiplayer FPSes since Doom, and I gravitate to maps that remind me of things like Threewave CTF from Quake, or the what the Epic guys create (the original Unreal Tournament was a master class in multiplayer map design). More mature versions of those maps show up in games like Gears and Halo.

I did play a good amount Killzone 2's multiplayer, and those maps reminded me of KZ4's. There is just something about them that doesn't flow, and I really can't put my finger on it.

Weapons look balanced too. In the streams the players switched through multiple weapons, and none of them seemed over powered or much better than the others. Add to that, the additional skills and features are pretty nice, cloaking, spawn beacons, turrets, drones, shields, stun grenades, medic sentries and so on, and general design seems to allow for a good amount of team work

That is another thing heavily dependent on personal taste. Battlefield or CoD is really as complicated as I want my shooters to get. I hate, *hate* cloaking capabilities in an FPS. It is legal cheese, basically.

Best of all though is the complete removal of auto aim. No auto aim at all. Something that neither BF4, COD or Halo have and that makes the gunplay in Shadow Fall purely skill based. That's a huge advantage to the game, especially to those after a more hardcore, true experience.

I don't think this matters at all, honestly. If everyone has autoaim, or nobody has autoaim, everyone still has the same advantage. Autoaim does maybe make things a bit more accessible for the casual gamer, which isn't a bad thing IMO. Not everybody has 4 hours a day to develop into a crack shot.

I understand the need for SP because of consumers like that(I'm a primary solo player as well), it just irks me that SP is practically a secondary thought for games like these. I understand MP is a huge focus and all but it would be nice to get more effort into the SP campaign as well, otherwise imo they'd just be better off focusing all their efforts on MP.

What is the length of the single player campaign in BF4 and CoD? What is the length of the single player campaign in KZ:SF? I think it's obvious that Guerrilla is the developer who put more effort into the SP campaign.

Holy shit. That stream is exactly why I'm glad there's party chat on the PS4.

Holy goddamn that might be the most annoying and grating person I've heard in years.

Bro.

I've played thousands of hours of mp shooters since the PS3 launched. Most of the time, people are there to play the game and be helpful. Even groups are pretty accepting of randoms if you aren't a moron. I met my BF clan on pub chat in the Uncharted 2 beta, and the other half of my list from Uncharted mp.

Party chat is great, but I hate it when people clump multiplayer whinos with the rest of us.

That guy is also bad and he is getting angry at others.

scoobs

good god twitch stream is unbearable. XBOX IS BETTER OMGZ NO PS4 BETTERS 60 FPS 1080PS

I do not understand how anyone could act like this

Akainu

To be fair, the Multiplayer in BF4 kicks the living shit out of Killzone 4's.

24 players vs. 64 players.
Relatively tiny small maps vs. huge massive maps in epic scale.
Tons or vehicles, tanks jets & ships vs. none whatsoever.
Full destructibility vs limited destructibility.
So battlefield's team death match sucks then?

Okay finally I have learned my lesson and will never use sarcasm on the internet again.

Wait I did it again.

You're repeating a mantra that has been often flung around and expecting people to understand it is sarcasm. This is text, it does not convey sarcasm well.

Maybe you should upload voice messages to better convey your otherwise hidden meaning behind your posts.

See, that is sarcasm done right.

Pyronite

A game is almost universally critically disliked and NeoGAF, many of us who think of journalists as moneyhatted and prone to give out inflated scores, hates it.

Guys... this is really disappointing. (I realize not everyone is responding like this.) Apparently the game isn't that good. There was no collaboration or conspiracy among the reviewers to come to this conclusion. All these mental backflips trying to come up with a rationale to fit your preconceived notions of the game, the system, whatever, are completely unproductive.

5 from Polygon? Consider my interest peaked then.

Piqued.

A game is almost universally critically disliked and NeoGAF, many of us who think of journalists as moneyhatted and prone to give out inflated scores, hates it.

Guys... this is really disappointing. Apparently the game isn't that good. There was no collaboration or conspiracy among the reviewers to come to this conclusion. All these mental backflips trying to come up with a rationale to fit your preconceived notions of the game, the system, whatever, are completely unproductive.

no, it looks pretty good where it matters to most: the multiplayer. which, unfortunately, is the part of the game most reviews contain no critique of.

IcyEyes

My guess...

Single player.

SP has moments of greatness, but is overall messy, with a weak story and unusual pacing. Some areas being less polished than others. Open ended levels stand out, but unfortunately they are too few. OWL does however offer good tactical diversity.

7 -8/10

Multiplayer.

MP is fantastic, with excellent skill based gunplay, great map design and overall well balanced weapons. Free DLC maps and countless challenges add even more value. 24 players keeps things tight and focused, with more intimate encounters and what feels like more old school firefight scenarios.

8-9/10

Nice post, I like to read opinions from players!

The MP of Killzone relies on awesome map design (the best in the market in my opinion) and the SP has the best action packed sequences I have ever seen in a FPS (and an excellent level design as well).

Cheech

So battlefield's team death match sucks then?

As somebody that has put > 10k hours into Battlefield games, the answer is GOD YES. Nobody should ever play TDM in Battlefield. It's like playing Mario exclusively to collect extra lives; sure, you can do it, but you're completely missing the point of the game.

If TDM is your bag, stick with Killzone or CoD tomorrow.

Facism

To be fair, the Multiplayer in BF4 kicks the living shit out of Killzone 4's.

24 players vs. 64 players.
Relatively tiny small maps vs. huge massive maps in epic scale.
Tons or vehicles, tanks jets & ships vs. none whatsoever.
Full destructibility vs limited destructibility.

Bf4 maps aren't made or balanced for 64 players, unless you love skill-less spamfests.
Destruction is minor, less than what we had in BF3. Levolution events are minor on most maps.
No idea what the stability of KZ is on launch, but battlefield is already shit-city with it's terrible netcode, hit detection and a shitnugget of client and server crashes resting firmly on top.

BF may be the better game in about 3 months when it's actually out of Beta.

A game is almost universally critically disliked...
Not really seeing that in the scores and the text, unless its been a wave of negativity since I last looked.

Not living up to high expectations isn't the same as universal critical dislike. Some outlets have shit on it definitely, while others give it middling to decent scores and reviews. There are even some bits of high praise scores in there.

I don't know. I see all the reviews and I think the message is that the game is just pretty good instead of amazing.

Not really seeing that in the scores and the text, unless its been a wave of negativity since I last looked.

Not living up to high expectations isn't the same as universal critical dislike. Some outlets have shit on it definitely, while others give it middling to decent scores and reviews.

I don't know. I see all the reviews and I think the message is that the game is just OK and not amazing.

"Near-universally meh'ed" would be more accurate.

Anyhoo... Sterling is a big Killzone fan, and he gave it a seven. So there you go.

Guys... this is really disappointing. (I realize not everyone is responding like this.) Apparently the game isn't that good. There was no collaboration or conspiracy among the reviewers to come to this conclusion. All these mental backflips trying to come up with a rationale to fit your preconceived notions of the game, the system, whatever, are completely unproductive.

Piqued.

Universally?

"Near-universally meh'ed" would be more accurate.
Sounds about right, which is pretty much par for the course for Killzone nowadays.

But as I do like the core gameplay feel of the previous games I figure my experience will probably be on the more positive end, unless I notice truly shitastic AI as well. That's a personal pet peeve.

Trey

Sounds about right, which is pretty much par for the course for Killzone nowadays.

But as I do like the core gameplay feel of the previous games I figure my experience will probably be on the more positive end, unless I notice truly shitastic AI as well. That's a personal pet peeve.

I'll see what you have to say on the game. You're a reasonable poster and our tastes in shooters match up. I might pick this game up whenever I finally decide to buy a PS4 if you have a positive opinion of the game.

Top Bottom