• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Trilogy announced for PS3, trailer, October release

fernoca

Nice to see them using the 'Collection' gold-colored cover. Really nice ones so far, not only in cover art but also content.

So how bad is Killzone 3? I actually enjoyed Killzone 2's campaign, and Killzone 1 HD looks impressive (and mildly interesting). I'm loving this new 'Collection' thing Sony is doing, I ordered the God of War one off of Amazon today.

The gunplay is intact but the story and characters left a bad aftertaste.

They tried to create dramatic tension by turning the hardass Narville into an incompetent Mr. Sensitive for Rico to conflict with and turned Sev into some douchebag rousing the troops with corny speeches. You also have to deal with Malcolm MacDowell's hammy acting and an awful tough Latina chick character who just pops up randomly.

It feels like a contrived set of set pieces loosely stuck together, a poorly written, disjointed game with one of the stupidest endings I've had the misfortune to experience in a video game this generation.

I mostly loved KZ2 btw. :(

Jawmuncher

The gunplay is intact but the story and characters left a bad aftertaste.

They tried to create dramatic tension by turning the hardass Narville into an incompetent Mr. Sensitive for Rico to conflict with and turned Sev into some douchebag rousing the troops with corny speeches. You also have to deal with Malcolm MacDowell's hammy acting and an awful tough Latina chick character who just pops up randomly.

It feels like a contrived set of set pieces loosely stuck together, a poorly written, disjointed game with one of the stupidest endings I've had the misfortune to experience in a video game this generation.

I mostly loved KZ2 btw. :(

It's a shame to because KZ3 could have been great, but just like you siad those parts coupled with the story just don't do it any favors at all.

Man

The gunplay is intact but the story and characters left a bad aftertaste.(
Just because it hasn't been mentioned in this thread: Killzone 3 reduced the controller lag from the 150+ ms area in KZ2 down to 116ms area which is a huge improvement, significant engine rework went into that.

Cudder

Gunplay in KZ3 is pretty good (especially with Move), but the actual game and story are so bad I couldn't care less about how good the gunplay is.

The Eurogamer review of KZ3 nailed it. It's still a really enjoyable shooter, but instead of focusing on one thing and doing it exceptionally well as KZ2 did - tactical, cover based battles that really came to life on higher difficulties - it reaches for many different kinds of gameplay: vehicles, stealth, etc. none of which really are that compelling. When taken in context of the major focus on a completely unredeemable dick like rico, and the laughable ending, it's a flawed game.

Certainly though, I think people who really enjoyed KZ2 will enjoy it, especially the improvements made to the input and engine.

But seriously Guerilla - why no online coop? :(

omonimo

Banned
Gameplay in Killzone 3 is miles better than 2. Less lag and way more variety.

Well.. except less lag everything in kz3 seems worse to me... it's a continuous travel from an area to another without a logic... & the on rail section are terribly useless & boring...

SkylineRKR

With Killzone 3 Guerrilla listened to the critics but shot itself in the foot while doing so.

Killzone 2 had controller lag, hardly any story progression and not much variety. And KZ2 was a tad on the difficult side as well. Guerrilla tackled all these problems but the end result was something worse.

They went overboard with the variety. Killzone 3 has an FPS section, vehicle section, and on rails section. Thats fine, but they felt the need to include these sections in about every chapter. And I don't know what happened, but where the mech section was greatness in Killzone 2... it was completely unplayable in the third game.

Then the scenery. They felt the need to include lots of different scenery into this game. Its fine, but it feels disjointed. The jungle (a forcefeeded stealth level) feels like something straight out of Alien while Helghan looked rather 'human' in anything else. The same goes for the story progression, the cutscenes felt forced and there are way too much. The action is constantly broken up by cutscenes, it takes you out of the game. The worst part is in the Jungle,
where its getting all foggy and just when you think the onslaught is going to start... its actually over.
After a certain cutscene you'll end up here... and then you'll end up there. There is no logic at all. Killzone 2 at least made you feel you're actually traveling to a certain goal.

The game is also much easier, there is no genuinely difficult part like the last stage from KZ2 in KZ3. As for the multiplayer, the map design is terrible. Killzone 2 is better.

BHK3

Banned
I could care less about controller lag, everything in KZ3 from the gunplay, story and even the damn audio was worse for me.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I liked KZ3 but they made a lot of misteps.

For one, the graphics while cleaner, lost a lot of their CGI like quality. Mostly do to the almost non existent object based motion blur.

Just watch a dropship land and take off in KZ2, then watch the same thing in KZ3. Not nearly as impressive in 3.

Also, for reasons I can't fathom, the AI seemed worse in KZ3, by a tangible amount.

Then in multiplayer, it felt like the created Killzone Light, with little of the depth of KZ2.

Sure they made a lot of good progress, with melee, production values, making rico bearable, spicing up the colors a bit, etc.

However in all the places that count, KZ2 is the better game.

pixelbox

For one, the graphics while cleaner, lost a lot of their CGI like quality. Mostly do to the almost non existent object based motion blur.

Just watch a dropship land and take off in KZ2, then watch the same thing in KZ3. Not nearly as impressive in 3.

Also, for reasons I can't fathom, the AI seemed worse in KZ3, by a tangible amount.

Then in multiplayer, it felt like the created Killzone Light, with little of the depth of KZ2.

Sure they made a lot of good progress, with melee, production values, making rico bearable, spicing up the colors a bit, etc.

People complained about the MB so that was that. The AI was better than 2 on elite but the hit detectio was reduced because of complaints as well. I really hope the next killzone is like 1 and 2.

Drencrom

This.

SykoTech

Wow, October release. It's amazing how Sony can make the gap between announcing and releasing collections so small these days. Really great.

Meanwhile Square can't even give us an update on a HD version of just one game after a year waiting. And still no word on a KH collection at all.

:(

Nice to see them using the 'Collection' gold-colored cover. Really nice ones so far, not only in cover art but also content.

i hate the box art with Move ad, i wish they were all the same and the ones have like an icon next to 3D or smth instead of that ugly plaster on top right corner

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

This never needed to happen...

Gameplay in Killzone 3 is miles better than 2. Less lag and way more variety.

Yep, co-op alone makes KZ3 superior.

A few shots of my KZ3 replay
killzone3_55s6yer.jpg

killzone3_57dslaq.jpg

killzone3_48n3sd1.jpg

killzone3_78qylj9.jpg

killzone3_69s6spn.jpg

killzone3_94yksc6.jpg

Loved 2, never played 3, never played 1.

I think this bundle is very bad ass, I hope killzone`s 3 multiplayer isnt as bad as people said it was. Still killzone multi is pretty great.

I expect this bundle to do well for sony, i`m buying old ass games because its in a cool package

Anyone know if your saves from the individual games will work with the ones in the collection? I have KZ2, but want to get the collection for 1 and 3, but I don't want to have to start over in 2.

I'd really like a bug- and glitch-free Killzone. The campaign was pretty damned good, but the glitches and the framerate made it hard to enjoy.

KZ3 is RIDICULOUSLY good looking. I replayed it earlier this year and I was like HOLY SHIT. We took it for granted imo.

I honestly didn't think it was all that hot, felt cluttered and the image quality was sort of shit. Bulletstorm was a lot more pleasant.

hatchx

Banned
I am buying this! What a good deal.

How much is a Move setup? Is it good in Killzone? Does it stand up to the best of wii FPS?

U2NUMB

Well since I never finished KZ3 I just did.. was only 2 levels from finishing. I honestly do not know what just happened. That was.. a very odd ending.

Anyways ready to finally play KZ1.

Top Bottom