• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kim Kardashian's IOs game set to make $200,000,000. That Kardashian brand power....

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Kim Kardashian is about to make her family a whole lot richer. Her new IOs game Kim Kardashian Hollywood is looking to make possibly $200,000,000 this year. Love them or hate them, the Kardashian brand power doesn't seem to be dying down any time soon.

http://www.celebitchy.com/376512/ki..._a_huge_hit_its_on_track_to_make_200_million/
http://mashable.com/2014/07/15/kim-kardashian-hollywood-game/

It's official description on the IOs store:
Join KIM KARDASHIAN on a red carpet adventure in Kim Kardashian: Hollywood! Create your own aspiring celebrity and rise to fame and fortune!

from one of the articles (this part screams mess, imagine some of these teens with credit cards playing this game *yikes*) :
"Players can purchase 1250 in-game "K-Stars" — the most valuable currency — for $99.99 in real money, or you can wait around until you earn that money through doing photoshoots or other jobs."

772689528068318125.jpg

*sigh* who are the people buying this stuff? Their mom manager, or "Momager" (ugh) Kris is laughing all the way to the bank (this is the same woman who shopped around her daughter's sex tape)
tumblr_inline_mrh87ethYF1qz4rgp.gif

You know what I find amazing about this country? Everyone laments the state of obsession over the Kardashians' lives, but every girl I know watches the show(s) and every guy I know thirsts after Kim. They are a self-inflicted plague.

The whales propping up this game are no different.

Fari

Game looks pretty immersive, visceral and filmic, not to mention the fact that it has a strong female main character.

9.5/10

Piers

Leave Kim alone, she is amazing and good looking and you're all just jelly of her. :mad:
She may suck, but at least she sucks well enough for her own show.

bounchfx

holy crap just saying IOs instead of iOS confused the crap out of me.

also, I hope they make far less, but I'm sure they'll make more than they ever deserve.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Shouldn't this be in gaming?

oh, I searched OT before posting. This is not so much about the game itself as it is the fact that as much as people seem to hate them, somehow the Kardashians keep making insane amounts of money and stay relevant. How many other stars come, rise to the top, then diminish that no one ever talks about anymore (ie. Orlando Bloom) but somehow this family is on the celebrity gossip pages I read EVERY day. I honestly have never met someone IRL who is a fan of any member of the K's (and I even know someone who bought Ke$ha's last CD O_O )

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I'm amazed at this family's ability to make masses of cash by doing next to nothing. Good on them. Who is actually spending money on this?!

Grizzo

Lots of people downloaded this game "just to try it" or... "to make fun of it", from what I read on Twitter. Some of them even got addicted to it.

I really can't see how you can get addicted to something like that. I guess it's just like Candy Crush, whose success I never understood either. But at least Bejeweled is a pretty fun game on itself.

To think they made 200 000 000 off off "in-app purchases" only... that's...insane...

sohois

The $200million estimate comes from some analyst who also happened to report a buy rating for the game developers stock. Otherwise there doesn't seem to be any other sales analysis. Bloomberg estimates revenue for the developer could rise as high as $160million, though that is with a host of other titles as well.

And it's not hard to imagine that very little of that money would actually make it's way back to the Kardashian family, who probably weren't involved in funding and simply licensed out the name and voice work

Good ole' Glu Games. They have been raking in the cash. Their Dino hunter game is no. 1 on the iOS free games chart last time I checked. It's a pretty fun game though.

This Kim Kardashian game is pure profit. It's just a reskin of their Stardom game.

enigmatic_alex44

Can someone please change it to iOS ffs.

My head hurts on multiple levels.

haha whoops! I'm not an Apple fan (left their products years ago) so I'm not fresh on all their fancy lingo... How embarrassing!
embarrassed-smiley62.gif

Grizzo

I honestly have never met someone IRL who is a fan of any member of the K's (and I even know someone who bought Ke$ha's last CD O_O )

come on now, Kesha is the real deal. Or at least she's more than meets the eyes.

The Kardashian... well... enough said about them already.

enigmatic_alex44

come on now, Kesha is the real deal. Or at least she's more than meets the eyes.

you know what, I was with a friend Sunday night and we watched "Rising Star" I think it's called? She's not so bad after her rehab and I'm kind of liking the purple hair tbh

enigmatic_alex44

"kustomize"

786924311732306212.jpg

REALLY? Kustomize? They really love that letter. So not only will young kids lose their unwitting parents money with this app, their spelling will go down the toilet and we'll have a whole generation running around sounds like Ultimecia from FF8 :(

That article said:
You don't play as Kim. You play yourself with a "kustomized" avatar (skin color, hair, face and clothes can all change, but there's only one body type) and Kim serves as your mentor as you try to become a star. It mostly involves doing photo shoots, buying clothes and dating black guys.

Neither talent nor intelligence are needed to succeed in Kim's app universe. There are no puzzles or hidden object searches or anything like that. There isn't even any strategizing. You mindlessly tap on the screen to earn and spend money.

These are people who don't consider themselves "gamers" doing this. And you wonder why we have $15 DLC and $40 season passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom