• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

MattyG

Banned
Did we ever figure out if someone was going to archive the Twitch streams or if there was a way to access ones that are older than 60 days? It'd be a shame to lose everything. I would do it, but I don't think I have the storage space or the bandwidth.

Did we ever figure out if someone was going to archive the Twitch streams or if there was a way to access ones that are older than 60 days? It'd be a shame to lose everything. I would do it, but I don't think I have the storage space or the bandwidth.

No, because when someone made a YouTube account similar to what Giant Bomb Uncharchived is, it appears that some guy made a stink about it.

Below is an image I posted earlier in this thread of that conversation:
J1IeNHA.png

MattyG

Banned
No, because when someone made a YouTube account similar to what Giant Bomb Uncharchived is, it appears that some guy made a big stink about it. He basically complained about it to Greg and the guys, telling them of the channels existence and that, if the channel remained operational, it could make money off of Kinda Funny's stuff.
Booooo to that guy. Did they weigh in on it? If not, did anyone try to ask Greg and Colin? I feel like they'd be okay with it as long as it had their blessing and wasn't being done to make money. If that was the big snag, couldn't the channel just opt out of monetization?

Let's put up the Kinda Funny signal and hope they see this discussion.

I'd love for there to be a place to watch any and all the Twitch streams instead of them being lost after two months, but only if it had their blessing.

Edit: Oh, okay, didn't see that picture of the conversation before I posted. I'd be curious to know if this Frank guy actually contacted Greg or if he's just raising a stink for the hell of it. Huh.

Just went to the channel and clicked "view email". It lists the Kinda Funny business email. Maybe they talked it out with the guy and absorbed it as an official channel and they aren't launching it yet? Or maybe the guy who started it just listed the email without their permission? I get the feeling it's the latter, but who knows.

Choomp

Banned
Stream tons of fun right now! Troy Baker is one of those guys who's so awesome you feel bad about yourself. Close 2nd to the drunk Spiderman stream for me.

MattyG

Banned
CAwIwuAU0AESsQ5.png

This changes everything.

Stream tons of fun right now! Troy Baker is one of those guys who's so awesome you feel bad about yourself. Close 2nd to the drunk Spiderman stream for me.
Nothing will ever beat the drunk Spiderman stream. That was magic.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
That stream was awesome!

Greg made $200 because Troy showed his nipple.

Laura is too cute <3

Sealtest

Wow that was a great stream, I was even lucky enough to get one of those Steam telltale bundles with a ton of games!

Adriane23

Neo Member
Troy Baker read my comment last night, and then Laura Bailey got a little salty about said comment. It's going to be a good week. :)

a916

Colin read my question/point!

I said "Fallout 4 will not look like the Order".

I said that because Fallout 4 is an open world that will be streamed in with a lot of NPCs on screen whereas Order is a corridor shooter, very linear, and a camera that's very tight.

Dragon Age Inquisition/Witcher 3 is probably a much better example of what Fallout 4 can look like (maybe even better).

Colin needs to stop complaining about remasters. Clearly if there wasn't a demand for these ports, they wouldn't keep developing them. Not everyone use to work for IGN and got to play every game, some people even missed the entire generation. And sometimes people just want to replay their favourite games in shinier graphics. Like he always says, vote with your wallet.

Colin needs to stop complaining about remasters. Clearly if there wasn't a demand for these ports, they wouldn't keep developing them. Not everyone use to work for IGN and got to play every game, some people even missed the entire generation. And sometimes people just want to replay their favourite games in shinier graphics. Like he always says, vote with your wallet.

I agree to an extent. I'd like to hear less complaints about remasters, but it's clear that media complaints about them don't actually inhibit sales.

It really is about perspective, though. I really don't see a ton of consumers complaining about the remasters. I buy a few of them here and there when I missed out on a game (Sleeping Dogs & Borderlands Handsome Collection) and ignore the ones I don't want to play. That having been said, people need to understand that if remasters aren't made anymore, it's not like the port-houses are going to suddenly have new original IP projects greenlit...they're going to have to shut their doors.

I'd love it if remasters stopped coming out because every game studio was working on their own original projects, but it's easy to forget that publishers aren't going to stop being risk-averse. Remasters are a very low-risk investment for a publisher. It's a great way for them to either make some extra profit or even hedge the bets they're making on other, riskier projects. Having remasters come out that make additional money for publishers actually help them to take financial risks in other areas, which is a win-win for everyone.

Regarding PlayStation remasters, last year I would've disagreed with Colin's point, as there were so many former XBOX users that switched platforms. With PS Now existing (at least in North America), a lot of those games can be played on PS4, even TLOU, which also got a remaster. I think they should have just made God of War III a PS Now game. GOW I, II, and Ascension are already there.

Also: Change your Twitch Passwords! http://blog.twitch.tv/2015/03/important-notice-about-your-twitch-account/

Karu

Great show today. Really love the Colin/Nick-combo. Sad that they won't cover Bloodborne more thoroughly, but time is a precious, so I understand.

MattyG

Banned
When you're secretly staring longingly at bae and he notices you but you try to play it cool.

orE6wus.gif

I've always found this to be kind of a weak argument. By this logic, every game should be remastered, regardless or merit or quality. Oh, you missed Lair? Give it a remaster. You're telling me you didn't play Haze? Remaster that shit.

I think I might be with Colin on this one, there's just too many remasters of games that really have little to no reason to be remastered. I bought The Last of Us Remastered and GTAV because they were high enough quality to deserve a rerelease. I bought FF Type-0 because we never got the original release in the west. Last gen, I bought most of the PS3 HD collections because they were infrequent and special. But now we're getting Tomb Raider and DMC and DMC4 and Tearaway and God of War 3 and maybe Gravity Rush along with a ton of other ones I can't even remember. It's just getting to be a bit much.

Karu

But now we're getting Tomb Raider and DMC and DMC4 and Tearaway and God of War 3 and maybe Gravity Rush along with a ton of other ones I can't even remember. It's just getting to be a bit much.
But your entire argument is based on subjective categorization of games. Where's the line? I have no idea how you can justify the one remaster, but not the other. I think Nick is definitely right and as far as I'm concerned they can do as many of those retreats as they want. What do I care? Especially if these game are handled by port studios, there is just no valid argument to be made why these shouldn't happen.

"It annoys me" is not valid.

MattyG

Banned
But your entire argument is based on subjective categorization of games. Where's the line? I have no idea how you can justify the one remaster, but not the other. I think Nick is definitely right and as far as I'm concerned they can do as many of those retreats as they want. What do I care? Especially if these game are handled by port studios, there is just no valid argument to be made why these shouldn't happen.

"It annoys me" is not valid.
I guess that's fair enough. But (and I don't know the answer to this, this is a real question) couldn't the talent from those "port studios" be used elsewhere?

I guess I just don't want to see release schedules become chock full of ports and remasters of old games with very few new releases, though I'm not sure if new releases would happen any more frequently if remasters weren't a thing.

I actually didn't watch Colin and Nick Live yet, so my argument isn't taking either of their points into account. I'm going to go watch it now.

I vehemently disagree with Colin about his feelings towards remasters, but I respect his opinion, he's entitled to it.

All I can say is that if there was not demand or money to be made, they wouldn't exist. So people want them.

I'm fine with them, and in fact, encourage them, as long as it's not significantly impacting the development of new games. Leave the remastering to dedicated porting studios.

Karu

But (and I don't know the answer to this, this is a real question) couldn't the talent from those "port studios" be used elsewhere?
Would be nice to know how big those studios are, for a start. This is indeed a point of contention. If Publisher A would just say "Fuck it, you're all let go" if there was no market for Remastered, nobody would be helped.

I vehemently disagree with Colin about his feelings towards remasters, but I respect his opinion, he's entitled to it.

All I can say is that if there was not demand or money to be made, they wouldn't exist. So people want them.

I'm fine with them, and in fact, encourage them, as long as it's not significantly impacting the development of new games. Leave the remastering to dedicated porting studios.

Exactly. They're not hurting anyone, I don't feel like it's something worth complaining about. If you don't want them, don't buy them, simple as that.
Now I'll go back to staring out my window and patiently waiting for a Skyrim remaster on PS4.

a916

Exactly. They're not hurting anyone, I don't feel like it's something worth complaining about. If you don't want them, don't buy them, simple as that.
Now I'll go back to staring out my window and patiently waiting for a Skyrim remaster on PS4.

Pretty much the same reason why I don't get a majority of the argument against DLC... "yo this game is greedy as hell, oh look, my favorite game is getting DLC, TAKE MY MONEY!"

Choomp

Banned

I'm fine with remasters and I also disagree. The guy who said the whole thing like "not everyone gets to play all the games like Colin, a complete, rebooted experience could work for people who've missed out, especially with collections aren't a problem." That was a big time paraphrasing job and probably more of my view than whoever posted that, but whatever. I still think remasters are too abundant and the rate that they're made definitely could be toned down.

Adam Sessler is awesome! I love his stories. Why is Sonic Heroes in the thumbnail of that video? Never mentioned..

a916

I don't know how everyone else felt... but that "First 15 minutes of Bloodborne" was depressing to watch.

I usually love the antics of Colin/Nick but I feel like I just wasted time watching that when I really wanted to see how the game actually played.

I don't know how everyone else felt... but that "First 15 minutes of Bloodborne" was depressing to watch.

I usually love the antics of Colin/Nick but I feel like I just wasted time watching that when I really wanted to see how the game actually played.

To be fair, they didn't know where to go or what to do. It's one of the problems of going into something blind.

Admittedly, they should have chosen a slightly later portion of the game to "play".

Karu

Bloodborne didn't bother me that much, because I already played it myself prior to watching tzhe video and the character creation was pretty funny (if only for Colin acting like on drugs, at least for his usual demeanor). Didn't watch the second one though. I'm not the biggest Let's Play fan to begin with, and especially if there is no focus & motivation shown. Granted, the series is known for its confusing parts in regards to direction, but still.

I really enjoyed the Bloodborne video, actually. The character creation nonsense was a riot and it was actually pretty funny watching Colin struggle trying to figure out what to do.

They also had Alfredo stream Bloodborne a little later, which was a better representation of actually playing the game!

ST2K

As a giant Giant Bomb fan, I was excited to see Dan's doing the tour.

Now they just need to get Jeff to do the tour again.

Anyone else here pick up Bloodborne? I was super frustrated last night, spent 4 hours in the first area and trying to beat the Cleric Beast. Got it first try tonight and also beat the second boss

Feels good man now I love the game again

MattyG

Banned
Anyone else here pick up Bloodborne? I was super frustrated last night, spent 4 hours in the first area and trying to beat the Cleric Beast. Got it first try tonight and also beat the second boss

Feels good man now I love the game again
I just beat the Cleric Beast too.

39bee4f33728e1f54402d858540d373c-weekend-update-high-five.gif

I've played for probably 4-5 hours already, and I'm loving it. About half that time was spent on the damn Cleric though...

We're crossing the streams, we're in too many of the same threads at once!

After watching Dan today on Colin and Greg Live, now I really want the guys to pop over to Giant Bomb's weekly Unprofessional Fridays stream (Note: For those inexperienced with Giant Bomb, you must be a premium member to watch it).

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Kinda Funny posted their early 'review' of Bloodborne (based on a few hours)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6svbX0cDq4&ab_channel=KindaFunnyGames

Could you spoil it a little for me?

I don't know why but I really, really hope Colin likes it. Partially because it's great having a reviewer whose opinions I mostly agree with and also because they really need a Soulsian on their panel. Dark Souls is only the best game of all time, guys!

(Other opinions are available but wrong :) )

Karu

Could you spoil it a little for me?

I don't know why but I really, really hope Colin likes it. Partially because it's great having a reviewer whose opinions I mostly agree with and also because they really need a Soulsian on their panel. Dark Souls is only the best game of all time, guys!

(Other opinions are available but wrong :) )
Ye appreciates the game a lot more after that wonderful "click"-moment literally everyone has, who doesn't quit at the first sign of frustration. I'm really glad they did a more serious Review-video about Bloodborne, even if it's just talking about the start. As someone who is new to the series, I can relate.

Beat the first 2 bosses so far (10 hours) in and this is the game to beat in 2015 so far. Will be hard to top this gaming experience, especially with the added bonus of playing simultaneously with everybody else aka GAF. I think Bloodborne will do really, reaally good sales-wise.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Ye appreciates the game a lot more after that wonderful "click"-moment literally everyone has, who doesn't quit at the first sign of frustration. I'm really glad they did a more serious Review-video about Bloodborne, even if it's just talking about the start. As someone who is new to the series, I can relate.

Beat the first 2 bosses so far (10 hours) in and this is the game to beat in 2015 so far. Will be hard to top this gaming experience, especially with the added bonus of playing simultaneously with everybody else aka GAF. I think Bloodborne will do really, reaally good sales-wise.

Excellent!

I'm glad you're enjoying it :) I'm yet to play it - It'll probably be a while yet as I'm still replaying Dark Souls. I'm quite passionate about it though - in 20 odd years of gaming I've never played a game that has such a perfect mix of action, strategy, depth, atmosphere, story....etc. I'll stop now!

If it's anything like DS the difficulty becomes a non-point after a while, you just adjust and become a bit of a ninja. You then go back to other games and they seem like shallow pushovers.

Top Bottom