• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Listened to today's KFGD and found myself disagreeing with Andrea. Her countering the argument that Nintendo shouldn't have modes tied to Amiibos with "it's their right!" and "Metroid fans will buy the amiibo anyway!" is just completely missing the point. No one's saying they can't legally do that. They're saying it's a shitty practice that devalues the games and is anti-consumer. Furthermore, assuming hardcore fans want to buy plastic figures is silly.

She's generally shown a pattern of writing people off as entitled and whiny whenever they have problems with a publisher practice. It's bad enough with Greg sometimes, but she just turns it up further.

Yeah, I usually disagree with Andrea's views tbh

Have they talked Splatoon 2 at all? I'm kind of surprised it hasn't been a bigger topic of discussion with them since they've all taken to the Switch so strongly.

Lashley

Nick describing sex whilst on your back on yesterday's morning show was hilarious 😂😂😂

sora87

Sucks that they delete the live recordings of the podcasts, pretty pointless for anyone who isn't free at that exact time

Lashley

Listened to today's KFGD and found myself disagreeing with Andrea. Her countering the argument that Nintendo shouldn't have modes tied to Amiibos with "it's their right!" and "Metroid fans will buy the amiibo anyway!" is just completely missing the point. No one's saying they can't legally do that. They're saying it's a shitty practice that devalues the games and is anti-consumer. Furthermore, assuming hardcore fans want to buy plastic figures is silly.

She's generally shown a pattern of writing people off as entitled and whiny whenever they have problems with a publisher practice. It's bad enough with Greg sometimes, but she just turns it up further.
She also said charging money for early access to a F2P game isn't shady (Fortnite) which I definitely disagree with

Which is why I do not get the lovefest people have for Nintendo and how "their games aren't filled with microtransactions!!" outweighs their mostly terrible handling of paid DLC like putting Hard Mode and Hero's Path behind paid DLC in BOTW, and gating content and features behind Amiibos. Even Splatoon 2 has a Amiibo-exclusive feature with being able to change loadouts in the lobby menus.

She also said charging money for early access to a F2P game isn't shady (Fortnite) which I definitely disagree with

I disagree with it too, but I wouldn't say it is shady. As long as the developer makes it clear that the game is in early access, and will be F2P once it hits 1.0, at that point it is up to the consumer to decide if they want to buy in to play the game in early access.

Maximo

Small nitpick feel like Tim closes KFG too abruptly sometimes, understandably they have time limits and seem super busy these days just Tim my man let it flow alittle you're too straight edged near the end.

Lashley

I like Andrea, but why is she always defending these corporations? For example, Nintendo with their Amibo DLC bullshit and Gamestop having their employees working Thanksgiving, taking exception to Jason Schrier's "gross" tweet.

I like Andrea, but why is she always defending these corporations? For example, Nintendo with their Amibo DLC bullshit and Gamestop having their employees working Thanksgiving, taking exception to Jason Schrier's "gross" tweet.

yeah the gamestop defense was super weird. i seriously doubt anything close to a substantial number of gamespot employees wish they could work thanksgiving and that was basically her entire argument.

Mezoly

I can't believe they didn't know that the Vita didn't only sell 5 Mil and that was Japan only. So Greg used to take a mental nap when ever Colin spoke? I was baffled when he had to look it up lol.
Otherwise I like games daily a lot but there is length creep.

yeah the gamestop defense was super weird. i seriously doubt anything close to a substantial number of gamespot employees wish they could work thanksgiving and that was basically her entire argument.
Yea, I feel like her being a former GameStop employee really gave her argument bias there.

sora87

I'm a day behind, but good. Like I said, I like Andrea, just recently if felt like she was defending these companies even when they do wrong.

She's always been like that from what I can remember, probably didn't wanna ruffle any feathers. It'll be good if she starts being less apologetic and calls them out though.

I'm kind of blown away when anyone starts defending retailers opening on Thanksgiving. We don't NEED to have that. The only reason it started was so retailers could try to make a play for your money a few hours before their competitors did and eventually everyone followed suit and now they're all in the same position they were in before...except their workers are screwed.

I love that my state (MA) made it illegal to force retail workers to work on Thanksgiving. A lot of stores open at 1am on Black Friday now because they can't have employees in before midnight, which still sucks in a lot of ways, but at least most people can still enjoy dinner with their friends and families on the holiday.

Working on holidays suck but it's nothing new. Most retailers are open on thanksgiving now anyways. If gamestop feels like they got to stay open to stay competative during the busiest weekend of the year then I dont blame them. It sucks for the employees but im sure they are well compensated and probably given extra time off at a later time.

Most of us will buy stuff from amazon that weekend and I can guarantee that its all hands on deck at every amazon warehouse all weekend.

Mezoly

The stuff on Nick Robinson today really explains why I felt he was super creepy and weird when he was on the Gamescast two months ago.

The news really surprised me. I've seen Nick since Rev3 and didn't expect such behavior.
Also I'm glad that Colin is no longer part of Kinda Funny, because every time news like this happens his name would come up and it would've dragged Kinda Funny with him.

The news really surprised me. I've seen Nick since Rev3 and didn't expect such behavior.
Also I'm glad that Colin is no longer part of Kinda Funny, because every time news like this happens his name would come up and it would've dragged Kinda Funny with him.

Colin was brought up in that thread many times, but in the context of Colin's tweet and not his former affiliation with KF. So it seems, at least, that people understand the separation of the two.

Shoutout to Andrea for letting Activision have it for once again locking huge amounts of Destiny content behind DLC paywalls.

Fucking bullshit man.

Mezoly

Shoutout to Andrea for letting Activision have it for once again locking huge amounts of Destiny content behind DLC paywalls.

Fucking bullshit man.

Yup she nailed that topic. Some in the comments mentioned that KFGD was a little soft at corporates, which I didn't agree with these comments. I think you need to be angry at companies more selectively to make your point resound bigger than if you complain about every petty thing.

Maximo

Yup she nailed that topic. Some in the comments mentioned that KFGD was a little soft at corporates, which I didn't agree with these comments. I think you need to be angry at companies more selectively to make your point resound bigger than if you complain about every petty thing.

I think shes way less forgiving than most of Kinda Funny she nails it pretty well in certain topics, one people seem to lose it at was the Gamespot thanksgiving topic but I found her comments on it fair.

Mezoly

Every year is a great year for someone.

Yup. This year had an usually high number of releases that specifically interests me unlike most of the great past years.

I'm a bit surprised by Greg's tweet considering he hasn't played more than half of the critically acclaimed games yet. Maybe it's the fact that he hasn't played them that he consider this year to be the greatest. As with all thing a tweet without context and the usual Greg exaggeration should be taken completely seriously.

It's been a special year for Japanese games, at the very least.

I think if you're a fan of western games primarily, I could see that viewpoint.

Not only Japanese games, but Nintendo games too. I think 2016 was arguably the best for games in quite a long time:

- Doom
- Hitman
- Uncharted 4
- Dark Souls 3
- Enter the Gungeon
- Titanfall 2
- Stardew Valley
- Ratchet & Clank
- Salt & Sanctuary
- Furi

Top Bottom