• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Xcast Todd Howard Interview - Starfield Questions Answered

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

Much more in the full interview, but a few highlights:

• Planets are procedural, but with handcrafted individual locations that are built for each planet
  • About 10% of planets have life on them
  • Some planets are barren, by design. Believes there's a certain beauty in the feeling of being the only person/first person that's landed on a planet.
  • Planets are diverse. Some planets have a single biome, while many have a whole bunch of biomes. Depends on distance from the sun/temperature/radiation/etc..
  • No controllable land vehicles when you land on a planet. On foot and boost pack traversal
  • Game is designed to be either played with companions or solo
  • Your decisions can anger your companions, which alters your relationship with them & their cooperation with you in the game
  • You could have an all-robot crew if you were to decide to
  • Ranking system adds patches/badges to your space suit, and are tiered depending on what you want to focus on upgrading (security, technology, etc..)
  • No fishing in the game (lol)
  • Ships are very upgradeable, but most of the upgrading will occur late-game as it's a very deep and expensive process
  • Todd thinks Starfield is going to be a modders paradise. They've taken steps to make modding as easy and intuitive as possible
  • Building outposts is a very deep system that requires a lot of time and resources
  • Outposts can be built to be economy generators
  • Accessibility is a priority, including large font mode.
  • Xbox support has been incredible and has allowed them to be ambitious and take risks

Last edited:

Kacho

Accessibility is a priority, including large font mode.
fans GIF

DaGwaphics

Interesting interview. Those that were looking forward to catching space fish are pissed. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

The economy generating outposts adds a whole new branch to the game, now playing the space businessmen might be another character path.

MirageMew2

The more I hear about the planets and the traversal elements the more this sounds like pre-patch NMS, but without the seemless real time inter-planetary travel.

Hopefully the RPG elements and world building make up for it.

Yeah at this point the only thing carrying Starfield is the Bethesda-ism of it all. No controllable land vehicles or ground-to-orbit flight whatsoever is a bummer.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I have played a bit of NMS all through its release (most recently I spent around 10 hours with the latest updated) and I have mentioned several times I don’t intend to play Starfield, but this games def SOUNDS like early days NMS.

Not having planet based vehicles sounds really weird. I am sure its a design choice for managing planet size, but that still sounds cumbersome.

Hopefully the actual player impressions will do a better job of marketing this game when it releases.

IMO: They should have taken the TOTK approach and only shown a few things this early then blew it out in August to let the hype go through the roof.

If we see T.Howard showing up on late night talk shows before the release you know there will be problems 😏

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
It's more that they are bringing things up that should be standard features for games as some kind of "accessibility" win.

They are saying shit like this expecting brownie points when it's what they're supposed to do anyway.

Wait, so in the interview, the interviewer asked Todd about accessibility after prefacing his question stating how accessibility has always been a focus for Todd's games....and then Todd answers the accessibility questions. So the interviewer is expecting brownie points?

GHG

Wait, so in the interview, the interviewer asked Todd about accessibility after prefacing his question stating how accessibility has always been a focus for Todd's games....and then Todd answers the accessibility questions. So the interviewer is expecting brownie points?

What kind of question is this? They are part of the modern games media are they not?

It's more rare to find games journalists that don't pander than do.

Last edited:

Kacho

You think the question about accessibility was genuine? Bless your heart.

Kvally

Banned
What kind of question is this? They are part of the modern games media are they not?
So you are saying you were not questioning Todd, but the interviewer who asked about revealing accessibility features in the game for those that need accessibility options? Ok then.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No land vehicles, combined with no in-atmosphere flight, feels like it's gonna make planetary exploration pretty tedious. Basically you're just gonna see a really small part of the planet and then get out of there.

GHG

Early no man's sky:

• About 10% of planets have life on them
  • Some planets are barren, by design. Believes there's a certain beauty in the feeling of being the only person/first person that's landed on a planet.
Early no man's sky:
  • No controllable land vehicles when you land on a planet. On foot and boost pack traversal
And I played the shit out of early no man's sky just because of the interplanetary traversal alone. I will likely play the shit out of this game due to this:
  • Todd thinks Starfield is going to be a modders paradise. They've taken steps to make modding as easy and intuitive as possible

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
  • You could have an all-robot crew if you were to decide to
So I already knew that I would try a diplomat that would limit himself with pistols, and be a missile spammer. Now my crew will be only droids. I can see my character build forming in my mind!
  • Outposts can be built to be economy generators
Needed to make a lot of money. I feel that I will let the game run while I will go to work just to make money, but I suppose that it will not be that easy. The ships look to be end game stuff. Thanks for the resume!

Kacho

Love hearing Todd talk about the importance of music and how it’s one of the foundations for their games. I remember him saying the same thing about Jeremy Soule’s music for Skyrim and how they’d listen to it for inspiration while making the game. True craftsmanship.

I thought the ambient music was decent in Fallout 4 but it didn’t quite reach the highs of Skyrim. Hopefully Inon Zur delivers something memorable for Starfield.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's more that they are bringing things up that should be standard features for games as some kind of "accessibility" win.

They are saying shit like this expecting brownie points when it's what they're supposed to do anyway.

Chris Rock is one of my favorite comedians, but as I got older I realized how dumb that part of his stand-up was. Yes, taking care of your kids is something you should be proud of. Doing things you are supposed to do should be acknowledged, because if the opposite happens everybody will want to talk about how crappy you are as a person\parent\or company.

So that same energy needs to go both ways.

dotnotbot

Love hearing Todd talk about the importance of music and how it’s one of the foundations for their games. I remember him saying the same thing about Jeremy Soule’s music for Skyrim and how they’d listen to it for inspiration while making the game. True craftsmanship.

I thought the ambient music was decent in Fallout 4 but it didn’t quite reach the highs of Skyrim. Hopefully Inon Zur delivers something memorable for Starfield.

Inon Zur simply isn't capable of replacing Jeremy Soule, that guy was on a completely another level.

Gambit2483

Where the hell are the water planets??

I haven't seen one planet with a body of water, let alone any "Ocean-based" planets, which do theoretically exist.

No Man's Sky has these and even underwater base building, but so far they don't exist in Starfield...?

If I'm wrong, that's great, as I am hoping they do indeed exist.

Riky

$MSFT
All sounds pretty incredible, giving me those original Mass Effect vibes of exploration with the deeper mechanics Bethesda is known for.
This is going to be the defining moment of this console generation.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

It's more rare to find games journalists that don't pander than do.

I'm just not sure how we can say this is pandering when there are some gaming journalists that actually care about accessibility. I'm just not sure why so many things should now go unspoken all of a sudden. As if it offends people to talk about things that are for a minority of people.

Kacho

Inon Zur simply isn't capable of replacing Jeremy Soule, that guy was on a completely another level.
Yeah it’s unfortunate.

I’ll give him a chance to impress since Starfield is a completely different beast. Maybe that inspired him after years of Fallout.

My biggest question is if they go with Zur again for TESVI.

StereoVsn

"No controllable land vehicles when you land on a planet. On foot and boost pack traversal".

This is disappointing. Considering all the planets and a lot of space (a lot of it empty) to traverse I was hoping for vehicles of some sort.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
explain me how this is not a V2.0 of No Man´s Sky....meaning with a single player story behind it better than No Man´s Sky and some fps action

Comedy Waiting GIF by Amazon miniTV

It's "V.20 of No Man's Sky" in the same way that The Witcher 3 is V2.0 of Skyrim, or Uncharted is V2.0 of Tomb Raider, or Bayonetta is V2.0 of Devil May Cry.

In other words it's a dumb as shit comparison that has no bearing on literally anything.

The games are in a vaguely similar genre, just like thousands of other games are in vaguely similar genres. Whoopity fucking doo.

Kacho

LOL at Gary Whitta asking the question about side quests and Todd’s answer. What a stupid question.

Top Bottom