• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kindle Fire HD |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
if they manage to unlock the bootloader, the 8.9" 32GB is looking pretty sweet

and i really hope the GPS is wired even if it's disabled... or why even bother with an Amazon maps API? having it be just for the 4G version would suck.
I'm sire they've learned their lesson. I expect this bootloadet to be on par with Motorola's Droid on Verizon.

Owzers

^ just came to mention this too, it's good that they are listening to feedback at least. The Nook HD would be more interesting if it had more apps...it's sad that both Amazon and BN don't use the actual google play store and limit the tablets. At least Amazon has Comixology, if it gets higher resolution comics i think i'm still leaning on getting a 8.9'' Fire.

Acid08

Banned
Gonna get a 7" HD today, super stoked!

Seems like the best option for the money considering all I'm going to be doing is reading comics and watching Netflix on it.

BFIB

Gonna get a 7" HD today, super stoked!

Seems like the best option for the money considering all I'm going to be doing is reading comics and watching Netflix on it.

Not sure if its still the same, but just a heads up if you plan on using ComiXology, DC was not listed in the comics store. You can still load DC via comiXology, but you had to buy it via PC, then have it show up under your purchases.

sgjackson

I got one a few days ago. I'm not super enamored with the OS, but as someone who largely consumes media and doesn't use many apps on a tablet it's more than fine, I think.

Acid08

Banned
I'm here! Love my HD.....except for the Twilight add that now shows up. Guess I'm gonna have to shell out the $15.

WdDab.gif
Stealing this

jvm

Gamasutra.
Under a month until my pre-order ships. I really want to see an in-depth, independent review of the 8.9" model.

pgtl_10

I have the original Fire and want to install Jellybean. I know I have to root my fire. Is there a guide similar to the Wiibrew guide built for complete dummies?

jvm

Gamasutra.
Mine too. Looks like the estimate are now updated, used to say the 27th.
I changed shipping methods back in September and my date was switched to 21 November at that time. The only thing new for me is "Shipping soon".

BFIB

I remember Amazon shipped my original Fire around a week early. Might be the same for the HD, now I just have to hide it from the wife.

BFIB

Just a heads up, my CC was charged about an hour ago. So odds are its shipping either later today or tomorrow.

Those who ordered, might want to check your orders.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Just a heads up, my CC was charged about an hour ago. So odds are its shipping either later today or tomorrow.

Those who ordered, might want to check your orders.
Good idea. My CC was charged prior to 8AM this morning, since I know what the balance was when I was setting up payment of other bills...

dwebo

My bought my g/f the 7" Fire HD as a christmas present. She has no idea I got it for her. Good buy?

sure, if she has prime and watches a lot of amazon video, and/or is already entrenched in the ecosystem.
otherwise, she's going to think you didn't love her enough to get a mini

I'm happy that the 9" model is only $300 because that means the Nexus 10 will probably be roughly the same price.
:(

fritolay

I was reading that the new Amazon has a setup to allow different people's "profiles" where you can set what content they can view, and what hours.

Does anyone know how this works? Did Amazon setup Android to use profiles to log into the device, so they have different screens and then different Google accounts for gmail as well?

Also is this device locked down so I can't use Google Play apps that I have purchased?

Somnid

Fuck. UPS tried to deliver this morning while I was home but it must have been a new driver or something because instead of going into the apartment building and ringing my door he just left a notice on the main door. Since it's a signature required I didn't get it and since I'm not home all week I have to pay UPS $5 to have them deliver it to me at work on Monday. Really pissed.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Mine is here. Wireless connection is really slow, which is kind of ironic. But this is for the initial firmware update before even getting to use the device.

Ads are super-tacky. That's going off ASAP. :(

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Unfortunately, no. Pretty stupid imo. Have to purchase them through the Amazon App Store.

Or root it and throw a Jelly Bean ROM on there. Then you essentially have a Nexus 7. However, you do lose Amazon Prime Video IIRC, and you have to settle for the Kindle Cloud Reader thingy.

jvm

Gamasutra.
So I'm still trying stuff out. Initial impressions/comments:
  1. The screen is beautiful. Having used an original Fire for a year this is quite a step up.
  2. OS interactions are snappy.
  3. All apps and books were listed as soon as I got to use it post-firmware update.
  4. All apps work so far except PvZ, which tries to self-update and fails. There is a 2 post thread about it on Popcap forums, so not just me.
  5. Size is nice but I guess I'm partial to the original Fire's compact size.
Definitely keeping it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom