• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect creators say technology supports only two players at a time

jgwhiteus

Afrikan said:
just curious, are there any Wii Games that support 4 players on screen all using 4 Wiimotes and nunchucks?

I understand 4 Wiimotes....just like I understand 4 Moves.....but I don't remember 4 Wiimotes+nunchucks at the same time. Maybe Mario cart?

I think Mario Kart supports 4 Wiimotes & nunchucks - the Wii nunchuck attachment isn't recognized as a separate device, is it? I thought because it plugged into the Wiimote itself, it was still considered part of the same controller - whereas it seems the Move nunchuck has to be registered as a separate Bluetooth device?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Afrikan said:
just curious, are there any Wii Games that support 4 players on screen all using 4 Wiimotes and nunchucks?

I understand 4 Wiimotes....just like I understand 4 Moves.....but I don't remember 4 Wiimotes+nunchucks at the same time. Maybe Mario cart?
Smash might?

It supports wiimote + nunchuk for one players so I assume it would for 4. No reason not to anyway, the nunchuk doesn't really do anything except add a few more inputs.

Afrikan said:

Red Steel did it at launch.

Speevy

Banned
If I put some people on my shoulders like an acrobat, I can pretend it's one really tall person.

Then once we've tricked it, we can disengage the tall-man disguise and attack Skittles as a team.

Guyver

imail said:
FUCK, that leaves the wii with the most advanced motion controllers even after all this time.

Haha yep especially when Wii's Just Dance 2 will support 8 player multiplayer. :lol

boiled goose

good with gravy
Kinect and full move setup two players max?

Well Fuck...

Wii is so succesful because of local multi.
Wii tennis basically became the systems launch party game.

So disappointing.. :/ Way to miss the ball.

Colocho

Banned
Hellraizah said:
there's so many situations where it could go wrong while "playing" with Kinect..... what if you cat comes around, for example.
Or what if your pants suddenly drop down and you slap your kinectimal in the face with your huge salami?

Afrikan

Ignis Fatuus said:
Red Steel did it at launch.

this is the type of game I'm more interested in about 4players all using Wiimotes and nunchucks....

man, it would've been sick if the PSmove could've supported 4player splitscreen deathmatch...with that retro gun thing and a subcontroller.

edit- this is all being said if it is true that using the Move for 1st shooters is more accurate than DS3.

Boonoo

Kimosabae said:
2 Giant living rooms!

215471989_GKZWD-L-2.jpg

Kaako said:
One thing is for sure: Nintendo is laughing their asses off! :lol :lol

Seriously, I thought $40 Wiimote and $20 Nunchuk was pretty bad, creating $60 controllers.

Sony said screw that, $50 lollipops, $30 nunchuk, and a $50 camera to get it all to work. What are they putting in there? Crack and blowjobs?

Boonoo said:

Well at least with Kinect, you only need to buy one hooker and skip the chair. And sadly, I'm sure a lot of us do have four GBAs by now. I know I do...

squinters

astigmatic
They can still salvage this. Say that the two people that can't play get a chance to rest, sit down, and laugh at the people who are playing. And then, when the people playing are done, they can switch roles. See, fun for all!

Speevy said:
If I put some people on my shoulders like an acrobat, I can pretend it's one really tall person.

Then once we've tricked it, we can disengage the tall-man disguise and attack Skittles as a team.
I don't know why, but this really made me :lol
Colocho said:
Or what if your pants suddenly drop down and you slap your kinectimal in the face with your huge salami?
Suddenly huh, sure. . . beasto.

beast786

MegaKungFuRadio said:
Seriously, I thought $40 Wiimote and $20 Nunchuk was pretty bad, creating $60 controllers.

Sony said screw that, $50 lollipops, $30 nunchuk, and a $50 camera to get it all to work. What are they putting in there? Crack and blowjobs?

Well at least with Kinect, you only need to buy one hooker and skip the chair. And sadly, I'm sure a lot of us do have four GBAs by now. I know I do...

50 bucks for PSeye?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
MegaKungFuRadio said:
:lol

well done

Afrikan

MegaKungFuRadio said:

well it is more accurate.....and the camera an't $50.

Move new tech is $10 more than the Wiimote......Subcontroller uses bluetooth is $10 more than the Nunchuk (although I believe Nunchuk has some motion capabilities).

and of course the PSEYE can be used for much more things than the censer bar...and is about $32 at Amazon.

*whew*...sits down from all that spinning, but it is true :D

Afrikan said:

Move new tech is $10 more than the Wiimote......Subcontroller uses bluetooth is $10 more than the Nunchuk (although I believe Nunchuk has some motion capabilities).

and of course the PSEYE can be used for much more things than the censer bar...and is about $32 at Amazon.

It's true, but it all adds up. The console costs more, the games cost more. It's not that you're getting nothing for this extra money, but there's a line.

EDIT: I can't believe I'm defending the Wii of all things...

Afrikan said:

I think the sub-controller has motion also, at least it looked that way in the Gladiator game demo I saw.

Sporty

Neo Member
MegaKungFuRadio said:
Isn't it? Maybe it's $40, I didn't actually check. Let me check. OK. $40 retail, $32 on Amazon right now.

Glad I got my PS EYE for $19.99 with Eye of Judgment.

Speevy

Banned
This could work really well for co-op wrestling games. Tag in your little brother when Mom is in trouble, then the fresh family member could dazzle everyone with aerobics or something.

Sporty said:
Glad I got my PS EYE for $19.99 with Eye of Judgment.

I have enough PlayStation rewards points to get one for free if I really wanted to. Problem is, I don't, and would rather spend those points on PSN cards.

Jin34

Afrikan said:
this is the type of game I'm more interested in about 4players all using Wiimotes and nunchucks....

man, it would've been sick if the PSmove could've supported 4player splitscreen deathmatch...with that retro gun thing and a subcontroller.

edit- this is all being said if it is true that using the Move for 1st shooters is more accurate than DS3.

It is with the wiimote so I don't see why it wouldn't be with Move.
In b4 ignorant comments about camera turning/not knowing that every shooter for the last few years gives you full customization.

The-Warning said:
Casuals don't care about any of this stuff. As long as they can pet animals and dance around. They'll also buy a fitness game for their new and exciting weight loss plan that'll last for a week, then Kinect will become the equivalent of an exercise machine that people hang clothes on.

So true.

oh come on. who the fuck really plays ANYTHING with 4 players at the same time? IN ONE ROOM? geez man. even as far back as the days of arcades 4 player units were a rare specialty. what wii games have 4 players playing at the same time where you are actually all active? no smash doesnt count.

WasteLand Soldier said:
what wii games have 4 players playing at the same time where you are actually all active? no smash doesnt count.
Do you want a full list? It's a pretty long list. The first one was packaged with the console at launch. Kind of sold the system to casuals.

MegaKungFuRadio said:
It's true, but it all adds up. The console costs more, the games cost more. It's not that you're getting nothing for this extra money, but there's a line.

EDIT: I can't believe I'm defending the Wii of all things...
it's not that you're *defending* the Wii, it's just that MS and Sony have made such terrible choices in some of their decisions...

WasteLand Soldier said:
oh come on. who the fuck really plays ANYTHING with 4 players at the same time? IN ONE ROOM? geez man. even as far back as the days of arcades 4 player units were a rare specialty. what wii games have 4 players playing at the same time where you are actually all active? no smash doesnt count.

Why doesn't Smash count? That, Rock Band, and Mario Kart are really the only things you can get non gamers to play. I tried to get my sister to play Gears co-op with me and she got motion sick. Some time later I decided to be cruel and tried to make her watch me play Mirror's Edge, but she had her computer and paid me no attention.

Boonoo

WasteLand Soldier said:

Why doesn't smash count?
As people have said smash and mario kart are both huge draws for the wii.
Wii Sports with 4 people playing tennis is good, so are some of the 4 player games in Wii Play.
As far as family play time is concerned my family had a lot more fun with all at once instead of the pass the controller around Wario Ware model.

Ignis Fatuus said:
Do you want a full list? It's a pretty long list. The first one was packaged with the console at launch. Kind of sold the system to casuals.

what do you play in wii sports all at once?

Boonoo said:
Why doesn't smash count?
As people have said smash and mario kart are both huge draws for the wii.
Wii Sports with 4 people playing tennis is good, so are some of the 4 player games in Wii Play.
As far as family play time is concerned my family had a lot more fun with all at once instead of the pass the controller around Wario Ware model.

because you arent active. ur sitting on the couch. thats no different than playing a 4 player split screen game with a standard controller. this is as dumb as complaning that wii fit doesnt support 4 people on the board at once. there's nothing to stop natal from having people say take turns at bowling just like *gasp* the wii.

kottila

WasteLand Soldier said:

so far this gen for me: Wii Sports, NSMBWii, all the guitar heroes and Mario Kart.

WasteLand Soldier said:
are you kidding?

ever hear of mario kart?

it only sold like 20 million units...

The Faceless Master said:
it's not that you're *defending* the Wii, it's just that MS and Sony have made such terrible choices in some of their decisions...

I think Microsoft can be salvaged if they focus completely on getting the casual audience. It won't mean much to me personally, but I'd rather it be that way than the weird in between Sony's trying to pull off. In retrospect, Nintendo had the right idea by focusing on one thing at a time, even if it did leave a segment of their devoted audience feeling alienated for a long time.

spiderman123 said:
I'm not a betting man but how much you guyz wanna put that they will release the current version they have on launch day..

Microsoft knowingly did release a faulty console on launch. What's stopping them now?

yes i've seen a wii. 4 players in my home playing a wii has never happened tho and mario kart may as well not count either. its a different experience. so ok besides something like wii tennis where all 4 players are truly up and active, name something else as thats the only fair comparison.

WasteLand Soldier said:
yes i've seen a wii. 4 players in my home playing a wii has never happened tho and mario kart may as well not count either. its a different experience. so ok besides something like wii tennis where all 4 players are truly up and active, name something else as thats the only fair comparison.
How exactly are you deciding what is a fair comparison or not?

MegaKungFuRadio said:
I think the point he is very poorly trying to get across is what simultaneous four player game requires motion controls.
Take your pick of first person shooters. Wii Play. Someone else can make a comprehensive list if they feel like proving the point, I don't buy casual games and don't feel like doing research.

Top Bottom