• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King.com also going after The Banner Saga

YOU'RE NEXT SEGA, cuz you sound like Saga and
252px-Crush_Coverart.png

Nintendo will back them up cause Bayonetta and Wonderful 101

I was thirsty and trying to find something to drink, and got confused by the candy pieces looking similar to the Crush logo and downloaded Candy Crush instead. I thought maybe it was a new flavor that's digitally distributed. Go get 'em Dr Pepper Snapple Group Inc.!

cEMRjjR.jpg

HEY KING.COM SHARE THIS PATENT TROLL ATTEMPT WITH 5 FACEBOOK FRIENDS TO UNLOCK THE NEXT WORD "DOUCHEBAGS"

or pay me 100 bucks whatever

demolitio

I wish king.com made hardcore games so those aware of this bullshit could avoid them like the plague but you can't even make a dent in their "mainstream" games.

I hope it has the opposite effect in every single possible way for them.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Throw this shit out.

What scum. "Candy", "Crush" and "Saga" are all generic as fuck words.

Deques

Disney's about to go Jedi on some asses!

Though I'm guessing King.com is only going to go after small fry that are in the process of filing for trademarks, not actually try to piss off someone big. Doing that would be doom.

But if King.com is doing this left and right, wouldn't the big players see a threat is coming. Wouldn't they sue King.com then?

Eusis

But if King.com is doing this left and right, wouldn't the big players see a threat is coming. Wouldn't they sue King.com then?
Well, this specifically was to get in the way of a not-yet-granted Trademark it seems. I'm guessing Banner Saga might well have gotten off fine if they moved earlier or whatever, I wonder if maybe the lawyers actively trawl through the data base and protest any that isn't granted yet and applies to games.

BigDug13

I had recently downloaded Candy Crush and I've reached a point where apparently I'm forced to pay $1 to keep going on this f2p game.

But after hearing all this, I refuse to give them one cent.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Never paid a single cent in that game, only played it during very short commutes to kill time. But whatever, uninstalled, because fuck you King, I'm not spending any more seconds of time on this. "Deceptively similar", wow. Who do they think they're fooling?

UnrealEck

Isn't Candy Crush Saga not just a ripoff of those old Columns, Bubble Bobble, Tetrisy style games?
These are the types of guys that need knocked down a peg or two.

I've got Banner Saga in my cart thanks to this story and i might email king.com and point out how confused i was regarding Lego Star Wars Saga and their game too.
Good Luck, Stoic!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I have never bought a game or played a game by them, but heard of Candy Crush, but now actively avoiding and going to spread word to friends and fellow gamers not to spend any time with their products in the future.

mclem

This actually makes more sense than Candy since King.com use Saga as part of the name of their games, examples:

Pepper Panic Saga
Bubble Witch Saga
Farm Heroes Saga
Papa Pear Saga
Pyramid Solitaire Saga
Candy Crush Saga
Pet Rescue Saga
Bubble Saga
Hoop De Loop Saga
Mahjong Saga
Puzzle Saga

How many of those are things that actually make sense as sagas, anyway?

Wiktor

I would like to see how will King's lawyers justify the danger of customers confusing the two games, when Banner Saga is a PC game, while Candy Crush is browser/mobile and targets completely different customers.

Eusis

How many of those are things that actually make sense as sagas, anyway?
It's why I said it's such a gross abuse of the word! They just slap it on every single one of their games, most of them would've likely had perfectly fine names if they were left as is, IE Candy Crush! At least if SE went crazy with Saga they, you know, made SAGAS.

I actually wonder if they DID want to go for an Edge-type scenario, but since their trademark for Saga's suspended I guess they can just be obstructionist pieces of shit to companies using the word properly.

EDIT: And this is worth posting from the other thread:

As I noted in my version of the story, King.com's Saga trademark is currently suspended. So they're just opposing Stoic's filing.

http://www.trademarkia.com/saga-85482736.html

5WWwzSU.jpg

Eusis

Someone should sue King for the lack of Vikings adventures in their games. Calling their games 'saga' is kind of misleading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saga

Anyway hopefully this shit will get throw out of court by any judge with half a brain on the basis of GTFO
I just pointed to the definition of the word myself.

Although the whole "yeah well we actually put viking themes into our game! How Norse is THEIR game!?" angle should further curbstomp the opposition shit. Fuck, I think one of those games is EGYPTIAN themed for that matter.

Eusis

Disgusting!

well i'm off to copyright the word THE and start senidng out letters
Property of the person who actually created the word... who is long dead, and out of the window of copyright regardless.

You could try trademarking! But I wouldn't be surprised if the trademark system actually had a list of words like that prohibited from any trademark.

Camisado

This is insane, the incredibly small amount of respect I had for King has now gone down to nothing, I really hope this story has a happy ending.

Chariot

Since I can't boycott Candy Crush due not playing it, I'm going to buy Banner Saga.
Also a GoT-Quote someone surely have already used in one of the related thread: "Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king. "

Top Bottom