• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV: Choi, Tung Fu Rue, and Chin Reveal Trailer

PSqueak

Banned
Rugal's dead

Rugal will never be in a canon KOF game ever again, because he is dead

I can see them using a plot in which his daughter, who seems to take more after him than his son, clones and revives him.

Hell, i bet Adel would be the mid boss but he turns out to be a good guy.

Naturally, that could potentially happen after kof 14.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
SNKP finally work up, and posted another piece of CG art to go along with the trailer:

CdOj6HlVAAAUL9O.jpg:large

20 original characters down, & 13 remaining (Geese, Vice, Mature, Goro Daimon, Sie Kensou, Ramon, Kim, Nakoruru, Ryo, Yuri, Mai, Joe Higashi & Athena) before all new characters.

Amedo310

I can see them using a plot in which his daughter, who seems to take more after him than his son, clones and revives him.

Hell, i bet Adel would be the mid boss but he turns out to be a good guy.

Naturally, that could potentially happen after kof 14.

I can see this happening or the leaked time lord boss can just pull him from 1996.

Elixist

keeps lookin better and better! the stages are starting to look dope to me. i like the effects alot too. hopin for that steam announce and im in.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
but I thought Adel is a good guy

speaking of which I find it weird that he was only featured in two games as a fighter

A.E Suggs

MKX and pretty much any Arc Sys fighter has better netcode than SFV lol, by no means the gold standard

MKX online is terrible, and even after the switch to GGPO its still not that great tbh. I'll give them credit for taking online more serious a year in....

people give this game crap for the character models but the backgrounds are the worst offenders. holy crap talk about taking a giant step back.

Yeah those are way first thh. I still hope they consider teammates in the background like that one twitter message asked.

Boss Doggie

Kinda sucks that Tung's "super mode" is now integrated in his DMs rather than being an actual form though.

He was one of the characters they wanted to include in XIII but ran out of time for.

But it looks like he won't be in XIV too :(

Tizoc

Kinda sucks that Tung's "super mode" is now integrated in his DMs rather than being an actual form though.

But it looks like he won't be in XIV too :(

Off the top of my head, Tung would only ever turn giant during his supers. He only ever has 1 special move wherein he turns giant but that move serves as a form of anti-air I think

tzare

Game keeps improving. I think Tung could look better but sure there will be more costumes. Never liked Choi but it looks better than previous games imo.

I also wish Jubei was there, but maybe it is too slow for KOF. Hope they add at least Cheng or Hon Fu (or both)

Do SNK have the rights for ADK games? Some World Heroes characters would fit KOF a lot, like Kim Dragon

Boss Doggie

Off the top of my head, Tung would only ever turn giant during his supers. He only ever has 1 special move wherein he turns giant but that move serves as a form of anti-air I think

I actually thought it was a "desperation" mode where he goes that when he's in the final round or something.

Loona

Rugal's dead

Rugal will never be in a canon KOF game ever again, because he is dead

I keep a spark of hope thanks to him appearing with NESTS top dogs in the KoF2002 ending, not to mention his cyborg bits in 95 - that version used the kind of tech NESTS has been shown to use, so between that, his kids in recent games and the rumored alternate world stuff...

Do SNK have the rights for ADK games? Some World Heroes characters would fit KOF a lot, like Kim Dragon

They have the rights, you can see some of them in KoF2002UM stages, not to mention their presence in NGBC. I'm not sure about them being a good fit, but WH is all about time travel, and KoF has covered that, and with the rumored multiverse factor for XIV, anything's possible... not a fit I think works well, but who knows...

OrochiJR

The game looks graphically more decent with each trailer. Gameplay looks spot on too.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new characters, hopefully SNKPs character designers have still got it.

KiteGr

When are they going to turn the cell-shaded filter on?

I love KoF so much!... But these graphics.... and no Vanesa...

OmegaDL50

I'm trying to remember where it was brought up but I can't find the source.

Someone mentioned the gameplay devs behind this project are the same guys that were also involved in early Fatal Fury and AOF games as well as the older KOF titles?

If that is indeed true, at least the gameplay should not disappoint. Visuals don't really bother me, because this being a 2D fighter will probably be using 2D hitbox detection instead of 3D hit detection anyways, much like how SFIV uses 2D Hit Detection.

I'll be on board day one.

BadWolf

Our still more-than-half incomplete cast, already larger than some (most!) fully released games!

Thanks for the shots.

Man, I'm itching to play this so bad. Chin's XIII movelist seems to be completely intact so far. It felt very complete there and he was a ton of fun to play so no complaints there.

The addition of these three really brings a nice variety to the cast.

Wonder how old Kim's master is. If he's old enough then we could finally be able to form an all old man team in KOF.

I'm trying to remember where it was brought up but I can't find the source.

Someone mentioned the gameplay devs behind this project are the same guys that were also involved in early Fatal Fury and AOF games as well as the older KOF titles?

If that is indeed true, at least the gameplay should not disappoint. Visuals don't really bother me, because this being a 2D fighter will probably be using 2D hitbox detection instead of 3D hit detection anyways, much like how SFIV uses 2D Hit Detection.

I'll be on board day one.

It's not just the gameplay devs from the old days but many, many people in general based on what has been said in interviews.

Apparently one of SNK's employees from the old days not only continued to work at the company to this day but kept in contact with a lot of the old staff who left after SNK went bankrupt around 15 years ago. It was thanks to him that they were able to get everyone back together.

So aside from the gameplay people they also hired back the character designed from Garou MOTW (he designed Rock Howard), the effects animator from MOTW, one of the main animators from games as far back as Fatal Fury 1 (he moved to Dimps to animate on SFIV after SNK went kaput), and many more.

One cool bit was when on twitter someone asked the director of XIV if they could give the phoenix looking finisher to Kim (from his super) from Fatal Fury and the director responded that it was actually he that did the dot work on that super in FF.

So yeah, it sounds like they put a great team together.

Loona

I would like to see Choi and Chang have a beefed up bruiser female partner (in crime) though.

It could be interesting to see SNK's take on the Angela Belti concept.

Heck, just go with adult post-prison Meg Griffin who's spent way too long in the gym, and that would already be a distinct enough female design in the genre.

lazygecko

Geese "died" as far back as Fatal Fury 1 but he was featured in subsequent Fatal Fury games as well as King of Fighters 96. The only game that seemed to treat him as dead was Garou.

But then, Fatal Fury 1 took place in 1912.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Thanks for the shots.

Man, I'm itching to play this so bad. Chin's XIII movelist seems to be completely intact so far. It felt very complete there and he was a ton of fun to play so no complaints there.

The addition of these three really brings a nice variety to the cast.

Wonder how old Kim's master is. If he's old enough then we could finally be able to form an all old man team in KOF.

NP, nice to find some new stuff not from the trailer around the web. I'm especially happy to see them confirm move moves from Chin that weren't in the trailer (His classic rolling punch, and the back-attack DM from XIII that did crazy damage, wall-bounced, could be combo'd into from lights... AND WAS ALMOST NEVER USED!). The only thing we're really missing are confirmation of his overhead and the "Wak-Wak!" punches out of that stance.

This really makes him look like one of the most feature-complete characters so far. It's nuts, but I strongly appreciate it! KoF is great at respecting their entire cast, even the little old guys that aren't trendy and youthful.

Everyone seems to look at Choi as being a weird old man too, not to mention even Heidern, Saisyu, or Takuma would probably be considered "old" by many (and lets not forget Oswald!). But I get what you mean, grey-haired old men team should be a fun team-edit, hopefully. As mentioned above, I'd have also loved to see Jubei from FFS...

I wouldn't mind if the masked-female fighter turned out to be an older woman either. We have all these older guys now! And that's a character archetype slot KoF doesn't really have anyone filling.

It'd be really good to see SNKP pull together an online beta with a rotating character list. That'd probably be the best step to start alieving netcode concerns, which is one of their biggest hurdles.

Roster complaints should be among the lowest ever, gameplay has the right people behind it, and the graphics get better as time go on, and are looking very competent for a large cast game now. Now they just need to show they're serious about the game's online play.

PSqueak

Banned
King is, well, the king.

Funny you mention king, Her original appearance in the first AOF she was modest because her real gender was a secret that you had to finish her fight in a special way to find out, nowadays they don't care about that, they make her prominently busty and unmistakably femenine.

It's kinda weird that the only complete team so far is the Ikari Warriors team.

Karsha

Geese dies in RBFF if I recall, he just gets hurt bad in FF1. The kof timeline seems to be separated or if its connected its not still in the Garou era (Rock might be kid etc)

Top Bottom