• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV: Choi, Tung Fu Rue, and Chin Reveal Trailer

OmegaDL50

Funny you mention king, Her original appearance in the first AOF she was modest because her real gender was a secret that you had to finish her fight in a special way to find out, nowadays they don't care about that, they make her prominently busty and unmistakably femenine.

It's kinda weird that the only complete team so far is the Ikari Warriors team.

K' Team might be complete too, if it's K', Maxima, and Kula teaming up again.

Genryu

Banned
Characters are looking better, but the backgrounds are still kind of meh.

It's not like SNK was ever really known for good backgrounds anyways.
/s I just want people to post awesome SNK backgrounds to prove me wrong.

Quick Edit: Oh hey there, I seem to have misplaced the Junior infront of my tag, that's nice.

qcf x2

SNK may be famous for Mai, but that's not even the kind of design they excel at:

Seriously. Don't forget May Lee, Elizabeth, Whip, their poster girl Athena, Charlotte, Nakoruru, Yuri, and I'd argue Vanessa and Mary qualify as modest. Let's give SNK credit where it's due. For the most part they did not follow the sexually revealing trend.

lazygecko

Characters are looking better, but the backgrounds are still kind of meh.

It's not like SNK was ever really known for good backgrounds anyways.
/s I just want people to post awesome SNK backgrounds to prove me wrong.

kof-xiii-paris-france93rs2.jpg

PSqueak

Banned
K' team too!

K' Team might be complete too, if it's K', Maxima, and Kula teaming up again.

Oh that's right, for some reason i kept expecting Whip to be the 3rd member of team K' in my head.

Great, Mexico got stuck into the Day of the dead festival maybe in 10 years they will move into 5 de mayo celebration or something

I don't mind [as a mexican], Day of the Dead and Lucha Libre are two of the most iconic aspects of mexican culture and let's be fair, KoF has an excellent track record with mexican and mexican themed stages since the very first KoF all the way back in 1994 ("Pao Pao Cafe" had a mexican theme for that game).

OmegaDL50

So 50 characters divided into 16 teams, which means 2 are left over as either Single Entry or possible Bosses.

Wouldn't this make KOF14 the largest roster of KOF game to date that didn't get a re-release like KOF98 and 2002 did?

I haven't been keeping up with the game in terms of information, but do we know if this is a Story based game or is it a Dream Match title?

PSqueak

Banned
So 50 characters divided into 16 teams, which means 2 are left over as either Single Entry or possible Bosses.

Wouldn't this make KOF14 the largest roster of KOF game to date that didn't get a re-release like KOF98 and 2002 did?

I haven't been keeping up with the game in terms of information, but do we know if this is a Story based game or is it a Dream Match title?

It's the first chapter of the new Saga, not a dream match.

BadWolf

King is, well, the king.

There are also Vanessa, Whip, Kasumi Todoh, Shion
lol
and many other 'decent' SNK female characters. They have been pretty good about stuff like this.

NP, nice to find some new stuff not from the trailer around the web. I'm especially happy to see them confirm move moves from Chin that weren't in the trailer (His classic rolling punch, and the back-attack DM from XIII that did crazy damage, wall-bounced, could be combo'd into from lights... AND WAS ALMOST NEVER USED!). The only thing we're really missing are confirmation of his overhead and the "Wak-Wak!" punches out of that stance.

This really makes him look like one of the most feature-complete characters so far. It's nuts, but I strongly appreciate it! KoF is great at respecting their entire cast, even the little old guys that aren't trendy and youthful.

Everyone seems to look at Choi as being a weird old man too, not to mention even Heidern, Saisyu, or Takuma would probably be considered "old" by many (and lets not forget Oswald!). But I get what you mean, grey-haired old men team should be a fun team-edit, hopefully. As mentioned above, I'd have also loved to see Jubei from FFS...

I wouldn't mind if the masked-female fighter turned out to be an older woman either. We have all these older guys now! And that's a character archetype slot KoF doesn't really have anyone filling.

It'd be really good to see SNKP pull together an online beta with a rotating character list. That'd probably be the best step to start alieving netcode concerns, which is one of their biggest hurdles.

Roster complaints should be among the lowest ever, gameplay has the right people behind it, and the graphics get better as time go on, and are looking very competent for a large cast game now. Now they just need to show they're serious about the game's online play.

Chin really is very move list complete, which also further shows that their decision with King's move list was likely a deliberate one. They probably want her to be easy to pick up and learn for newer players.

And yeah if Heidern, Saiysu etc. are old then that would put Chin and Tung in the ancient category lol.

They did say that they designed Oswald to be older in KOFXI to balance out all the young characters they were introducing so it would be nice if they did that again in KOFXIV. An older female character would certainly be pretty cool, especially if she oozes style like Oswald.

Fingers crossed for an online beta, they had that for the steam version of XIII and it would be great if they did it again.

The KoF suits never faced legal action over Choi from the Freddy Kruger people?
I thought there may have been stricter laws with fictional characters (like Freddy), than with real ones (Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and Mike Tyson etc).

Beckx

I thought there may have been stricter laws with fictional characters (like Freddy), than with real ones (Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and Mike Tyson etc).

the creator has to prove that it's an actual copy, not just inspired. they don't have a copyright on all guys with claws or striped shirts, but on an demonic undead mass murderer who appears in dreams with claws and a striped shirt. does this design skirt too close to the line? i dunno. homages are okay; stealing isn't, and figuring out where to draw the line generates fees for lawyers. :p

------------------

was there ever clarification of what counts as "new"? just curious if Rock could theoretically be "new" if it means only "new to the mainline numbered KoF games". put him on Geese's team because Geese knows something about his mother.

BadWolf

was there ever clarification of what counts as "new"? just curious if Rock could theoretically be "new" if it means only "new to the mainline numbered KoF games". put him on Geese's team because Geese knows something about his mother.

New most likely means a brand new character. Even Tizoc was called by name in the leaked list, even though he is now known as KOD.

Putting Rock in is tricky in that Geese didn't die in the KOF timeline so there would have been no reason for Rock to be raised by Terry. Rock's move list after all is a combination of Terry and Geese's moves.

PSqueak

Banned

If world heroes could get away with this:

UOLDOEM.jpg

(From Kinnikuman)

StOEoTm.jpg

(From World heroes, several DECADES later)

Brocken was an unapologetic ripoff of the Kinnikuman character and appeared in a game called "World Heroes" where he fought heroes from around the world in a tournament, while in the Kinnikuman universe "Chojin" (the in universe term for super hero) fought in a huge world tournament for expectacle and glory.

If they can do that, there should not be any problem with Choi, since other than the claws and obvious visual reference, is absolutely nothing like Freddy.

Beckx

New most likely means a brand new character. Even Tizoc was called by name in the leaked list, even though he is now known as KOD.

Putting Rock in is tricky in that Geese didn't die in the KOF timeline so there would have been no reason for Rock to be raised by Terry. Rock's move list after all is a combination of Terry and Geese's moves.

i guess there is that, unless they want to have his mom still die & Rock left in anger, but yeah, the timeline starts getting weird. i guess that also makes it problematic for Kain to appear since there's no power vacuum for Kain to step into.

TreIII

Well, Rock has been hanging with Terry in the KOF timeline, though. We've been seeing the kid show up in Terry's winposes in '01 and '02, after all. What we probably can assume is that, much like the "Southtown" timeline, he was raised largely by his mother until her death, and then was raised by Terry ever since because Geese was being a bastard.

Of course, since the series stopped going by years (and nobody apparently seems to age, anyway), it's anybody's guess if enough feasible "time" has passed for Rock to be old enough to join the fight for himself. Or failing that, maybe the new "multiverse/timeline crossover" shenanigans could be all the reason necessary to just add in MOTW!-era Rock and maybe serve as a preview for MOTW2!

..or at least, that's what I would love to see happen.

OmegaDL50

i guess there is that, unless they want to have his mom still die & Rock left in anger, but yeah, the timeline starts getting weird. i guess that also makes it problematic for Kain to appear since there's no power vacuum for Kain to step into.

Didn't young Rock show up in Terry's win pose in some of the canonical KOF games though?

While it's not an actual appearance as a character, it may count for something.

BadWolf

Well, Rock has been hanging with Terry in the KOF timeline, though. We've been seeing the kid show up in Terry's winposes in '01 and '02, after all. What we probably can assume is that, much like the "Southtown" timeline, he was raised largely by his mother until her death, and then was raised by Terry ever since because Geese was being a bastard.

Of course, since the series stopped going by years (and nobody apparently seems to age, anyway), it's anybody's guess if enough feasible "time" has passed for Rock to be old enough to join the fight for himself. Or failing that, maybe the new "multiverse/timeline crossover" shenanigans could be all the reason necessary to just add in MOTW!-era Rock and maybe serve as a preview for MOTW2!

..or at least, that's what I would love to see happen.

Didn't young Rock show up in Terry's win pose in some of the canonical KOF games though?

While it's not an actual appearance as a character, it may count for something.

A new Fatal Fury would fix all our problems -_-

It seems they may have been considering doing something with Rock between KOF2003 and KOFXI (Terry had the MOTW outfit and move set, Gato/Jenet/Tizoc made an appearance etc.) but by KOFXII they may have shelved the idea. KOFXIV takes a step further and gives Terry his FF1 outfit and seems to be bringing Geese back.

So yeah, at this point they might just save Rock and the rest of MOTW characters for a new FF. Wouldn't be a bad idea either.

OmegaDL50

I've been trying to looking for information online but kept getting information on roster discussions, and then checked out TV Tropes and got confused information that wasn't relevant. I didn't want to go to GameFAQs and check an FAQ for every single game just to get the question I want answered, so I figure I ask here and maybe someone knows this off the top of their head.

Is there a list of confirmed characters that have been in every single KOF game from 94 to XIII and are likely to appear in XIV that have never missed a year in a KOF game.

As far as I'm aware, the characters I'm sure that have been in every KOF are, Kyo, Terry, Ryo, Kim, and Athena.

There is probably others but my memory of each roster for every single game is a bit hazy.

Amedo310

I've been trying to looking for information online but kept getting information on roster discussions, and then checked out TV Tropes and got confused information that wasn't relevant. I didn't want to go to GameFAQs and check an FAQ for every single game just to get the question I want answered, so I figure I ask here and maybe someone knows this off the top of their head.

Is there a list of confirmed characters that have been in every single KOF game from 94 to XIII and are likely to appear in XIV that have never missed a year in a KOF game.

As far as I'm aware, the characters I'm sure that have been in every KOF are, Kyo, Terry, Ryo, Kim, and Athena.

There is probably others but my memory of each roster for every single game is a bit hazy.

Ralf
Clark
Benimaru, unless you included the MI and EX (game boy advance) series.

But Geese were suppose to be dead as well?

The KOF series & the Fatal Fury series have seperate timelines.

KOF XIV would be the first canonical KOF game to have a large number of teams ever.

KOF '99: 7 teams.
KOF '94, '95 & 2000: 8 teams.
KOF '96 & '97: 9 teams.
KOF 2001, 2003 & XIII: 10 teams.
KOF XI: 11 teams.
KOF XIV: 16 teams.

If this was a dream match title, then Elizabeth, Shen Woo, Duo Lon, & Ash Crimson would've been included.

sibarraz

Banned
Also Rock appeared on the fatal fury team ending in 2003 as a teenager.

I'm really liking this roster, my favorite ones are when SNK is capable of using old characters from other franchises while including new characters.

XI has the cooler roster on the whole series because they removed a lot of traditional characters, and included guys from relatively obscure series like buriki one and kizuna encounter

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Geese "died" as far back as Fatal Fury 1 but he was featured in subsequent Fatal Fury games as well as King of Fighters 96. The only game that seemed to treat him as dead was Garou.

But then, Fatal Fury 1 took place in 1912.

Different timeline.

iirc AoF and FF shared the same timeline, whereas KoF is an alternate universe.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Different timeline.

iirc AoF and FF shared the same timeline, whereas KoF is an alternate universe.

Correct. A younger Geese shows up in Art Of Fighting 2, is beaten by the Bogards and Joe in Fatal Fury, somehow survived and comes back in Fatal Fury 3, and is then beaten again for good in Real Bout Fatal Fury. The remaining FF games he shows up in have no plotlines (FFS, RBS, and RB2) and the later games treat him as "Nightmare Geese," implying you're fighting a ghost or that it's a dream. Lastly there's Fatal Fury Wild Ambition, which is just a retelling of FF1, story-wise.

Top Bottom