• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Come Deliverance 2 Releases in 2024

Boss Man

I’m sure journos will ding it for not including enough Puerto Ricans or whatever, but this game is going to be incredible. The first one was already so great for a first attempt.

j0hnnix

This looks so good.. I bought the first one always excited to play it and always stop playing after an hour. It just hasn't clicked for me but I want it to.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
soon....................
23190AD25B2A7329A7FA906D30B540BF2D39B3C5

stevish

Neo Member
Started the first game on hardcore.

Holds much better than I thought on PS5 (I was there at release on PS4) and the game still is quite a stunner.

Sense of immersion is unparallel. The nights are pitch black and incredible
Riding your horse at night through the forest, with only a torch to see is bloody creepy!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

-No mention of streamlining for mainstream audiences or other red flags
-Hardcore old school RPG
-Reactivity improved, villagers will treat you differently depending on how they observe your behavior
-Game world is twice the size, more diverse environments
-Nature is full of wildlife and secrets
-Storyline is less about bandits, more royal and epic
-The game they wanted to make originally but lacked the resources to do

It's an RPG, where the character begins the game as a young man still living with his parents. The jank at low levels is intentional. Level up your various combat skills, the jank goes away and the combat becomes very satisfying. It's not an action-adventure game where you begin the game as a master swordsman. The combat is actually pretty deep and one of the strengths of the game. It's not just the combat either, Henry pretty much sucks at everything at the beginning of the game and everything is kinda janky. Level up your speech, stealth, charisma, health, stamina, lockpicking skills, horsemanship, etc and all the jank goes away.
Yep, shit dude can't even read until you are taught. This is a game about pure immersion and for that it succeeded better than anything else.

Supported the first one on Kickstarter as I saw potential in the game. Wasn't disappointed and I took any shortcomings as a springboard for better things in a sequel. This looks pretty epic. Day 1.

Oh and Best.Forests.Evar.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

apart from Inception bwooooms that was a dope trailer.

and the soundtrack was dope too.

I really hope the combat has been worked on a fair bit, it did look fairly similar in the short section we saw however.

Last edited:

Exoil

One of my favorite games ever. I hope they'll be able to really bring their intentions to reality this time around! It's going to be amazing!

Denton

Interview with Dan on czech Forbes:

Your colleague Martin Frývaldský said that keeping silent about the development of the second part was not easy for you. How did you fight it?

Mainly, it was annoying for me that we did interesting things that could be promoted well, and we did it that way in the first part. For example, we filmed with interesting actors, we have videos of it, and if we did it like back then, we would release it on the Internet and it could get a lot of views.

On the other hand, people would probably be upset if they watched videos for four years and the game still didn't come out. It's double-edged sword, but the decision was made not to announce it earlier.

How did you approach the concept of the second volume?

We looked at what worked and what didn't. We told ourselves that we would improve something, and halfway through we found out that it was actually impossible to improve, that we wouldn't be able to do it, that it would be too demanding. We put our goals on paper and fine-tuned the concept of where it would go for maybe half a year.

So what is the concept?

The outline of the story was actually given, it was invented from the beginning, but I can't talk about it now. It is also due to historical circumstances that somehow turned out and we take them into account. So it's coming to them and now it's just a matter of how it happens.

And in terms of game mechanics, we have some combat system that we wanted to improve. We have things that we didn't make it into the first part, so we're adding them there. We found out that something wasn't quite fun or could have been better.

That's pretty general. Can you be more specific about something?

For example, we had a complex clothing system for the protagonist. And we've improved it significantly in the sense that now you can make sets of clothes, like three different outfits that you can change into with one click.

If I want to impress someone, I'll take an outfit like some charismatic speaker with one click. And I don't have to walk like a knight all the time. It took some time to get dressed in the first game, so people didn't take advantage of the features that different outfits gave them. So we edited it. Seemingly small, but in reality there was a lot of work behind it.

So why wait six years to announce a new game?

We worked on the expansions of the first part, it took us about a year. And then there was the technological problem – new consoles came out. So you have to make a technological change that took more time than any of us expected.

And besides, the game is big and there is a lot of work behind it. Everyone was working on it the whole time. It's not like we take time off and don't give it much. We started development on July 1, 2019, so it's been five years. Almost.

You developed the first part as a start-up studio, now you have over two hundred employees and a large publisher, Embracer, who bought you out. How is development different?

We have more people and more money. It is the basis of. But we still dealt with the problem of lack of people. There aren't many people here who have experience with something like this. So it's very hard to get someone.

In the second part, there is supposed to be a big city, an even more reactive world, crossbows and early firearms... What are you proud of that you managed in the second part?

There are a lot more actors, more better actors. They have better faces, better animated. We were developing our own system just for facial animation. We needed to make five hours of film and hundreds of hours of dialogue, and we wanted it to not look bad in either part. And that's where the upgrade is significant.

Have you developed with less nervousness when you have the success of a number one and a strong publisher?

One has some sort of fan base after six years and six million copies sold. It's probably a pretty good starting position. On the other hand, the world is such that, for example, Ubisoft (a large French development company, editor's note) gets a lot of trouble because the special edition of their game from the Star Wars world is too expensive.

Market can be hard to read. Some games are actually good but get a lot of smoke for doing something wrong or monetizing something that shouldn't be monetized.

After all, you have your own experience with it. The first installment of Kingdom Come caught criticism for not having any black people in it. What about part two?

We can't talk about that yet.

For many people, number one was also too complicated. How will the second part be?

A lot of people claim that we are some kind of hardcore simulation where they go somewhere, take a wrong turn and suddenly someone shoots them. It may happen that you go somewhere in the forest and you are ambushed by a bunch of bandits. Going against them alone probably won't go well, but you can escape.

Or you have to sleep and eat…

Oh well, but if you don't, you'll just be sleepy or hungry, nothing terrible happens.

Yes, but this is not usually the case in games. Will the two be more user-friendly?

Already in number one, you didn't have to solve a lot of things if you didn't want to. Two will be more accommodating, but not at the cost of our complexity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gp1

GymWolf

Yeah i'm gonna need to see way more combat than that to decide, it looks pretty similar to the first one combat and it's not a good sign.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Interview with Dan on czech Forbes:

After all, you have your own experience with it. The first installment of Kingdom Come caught criticism for not having any black people in it. What about part two?

That's confirmation for me that this will resemble 21st century US for diversity. I kind of expected this. Middle Eastern people from the Ottoman Empire wouldn't satisfy the mob.

/S

Last edited:

Denton

That's confirmation for me that this will resemble 21st century US for diversity. I kind of expected this. Middle Eastern people from the Ottoman Empire wouldn't satisfy the mob.
Extremely unlikely. I do expect to see some Roma people though.
Kinda funny though how from the whole interview, this is what gets singled out. Fucking US/UK and their shitty culture wars.

IDKFA

Extremely unlikely. I do expect to see some Roma people though.
Kinda funny though how from the whole interview, this is what gets singled out. Fucking US/UK and their shitty culture wars.

Lol. I wasn't being serious. I should go back and edit my post and make it clearly sarcastic.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I have the 1st one on Steam but couldn’t get past the jank.

Been wanting to give it another shot though.

That doesn't confirm anything. They're still consulting multiple historians during development, so the game will most likely reflect actual history. Just like the first game.

I think you're jumping the gun here. When the topic of multiple ethnicities being relevant in KCD2 comes up, I assume we will see germans, cumans, French, Austrian etc—Maybe a turk in kuttenberg(a trader from the ottoman empire), or some Jews, since there actually was a fairly significant population of them in kuttenberg at the time.

Don't expect sub Saharan African tribal characters or a Japanese monk or a female knight to show up. It's gonna follow the same logic of the first game. They aren't going to comment on it now because there's no reason to—its a stupid question to ask in a preview interview for the reveal of the sequel to begin with. Whoever did this interview is fishing, simple as.

IDKFA

That doesn't confirm anything. They're still consulting multiple historians during development, so the game will most likely reflect actual history. Just like the first game.

I think you're jumping the gun here. When the topic of multiple ethnicities being relevant in KCD2 comes up, I assume we will see germans, cumans, French, Austrian etc—Maybe a turk in kuttenberg(a trader from the ottoman empire), or some Jews, since there actually was a fairly significant population of them in kuttenberg at the time.

Don't expect sub Saharan African tribal characters or a Japanese monk or a female knight to show up. It's gonna follow the same logic of the first game. They aren't going to comment on it now because there's no reason to—its a stupid question to ask in a preview interview for the reveal of the sequel to begin with. Whoever did this interview is fishing, simple as.

Whoops.

I'm so bad at online sarcasm 😞

bbeach123

I hope they remove the lock on . Or had some kind of combat system work without lock on , fighting multiplier enemy in KCD1 was clunky .

Reactions: Gp1

Flabagast

Absolutely. Especially because they are just integrated into the main game quite seamlessly IIRC. I don't know which platform you are on, but the Royal edition (which includes all DLC) shouldn't cost that much more than just the base game.
PS5, Royal edition, hardcore mode

Denton

Are the DLC of the first worth it ?
Yes, they are quite short, but fun. Woman's Lot has two parts btw, in one you play Theresa with prologue through her eyes, but the other becomes available during normal play with Henry and it is one of my favourite questlines in any RPG.

Top Bottom