• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Falk

that puzzling face
If you want a more recent example, they did something new almost every con/event appearance for Lightning Returns from E3 up till its Japanese release.

my lips are sealed sry

Psxphile

[SPECULATION INTENSIFIES]

If there's anything shown about KHIII, it'd probably be another short teaser. Maybe they'll have yet another two mysterious-but-not-really characters banter a bit to each other about plot stuff.

[SPECULATION INTENSIFIES]

If there's anything shown about KHIII, it'd probably be another short teaser. Maybe they'll have yet another two mysterious-but-not-really characters banter a bit to each other about plot stuff.
What if they show a short teaser with a sketch of Xehanort and Eraqus' master talking to them.

Would they really show anything much about KH3 so close to E3 when all we got there was a tiny teaser? I still stand by my prediction that the next time we see KH3 will be at Jump Festa.

I can see a new 2.5 trailer tho. We got a 1.5 trailer at Pax last year. Tho maybe they would rather wait till GC.

Would they really show anything much about KH3 so close to E3 when all we got there was a tiny teaser? I still stand by my prediction that the next time we see KH3 will be at Jump Festa.

I can see a new 2.5 trailer tho. We got a 1.5 trailer at Pax last year. Tho maybe they would rather wait till GC.

Yeah, I think new 2.5 stuff is much more likely than new KH3 stuff at a smaller event like SDCC.

I mean, the games are pretty much premade. It's not hard to churn out a trailer for them that's mostly cutscenes when at this stage they're likely just tuning gameplay for bugs and framerate hitches.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Finished Reverse/Rebirth on Re:chain HD, and watched through the 358/2 Days "movie".

"Just one more week of summer vacation" More like five months until 2.5...

I might go for other Trophies... but I'm not really an achievement whore.

Malyse

But what if he's saying he can say nothing to make us think there is something in order to throw us off the fact that it really isn't anything!?

EiDa0zj.jpg

If I were SE, I'd put out a trailer highlighting the new content in Birth by Sleep Final Mix and KH2 Final Mix. There wasn't enough stuff in KH1 Final Mix to justify doing it for 1.5, but there's more than enough between those two games that a "New Features" trailer would do nothing but good.

Seda

If I were SE, I'd put out a trailer highlighting the new content in Birth by Sleep Final Mix and KH2 Final Mix. There wasn't enough stuff in KH1 Final Mix to justify doing it for 1.5, but there's more than enough between those two games that a "New Features" trailer would do nothing but good.

I think that would definitely be a good idea.

Psxphile

I think that would definitely be a good idea.

E3 trailer already did that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUC4I64jotk

Lingering Spirit, the new (and voiced) KHIIFM cutscenes, BBSFM Secret Episode content, the Roxas battle, Limit Form, Armor of the Master...

They weren't exactly calling attention to it but they were definitely showing off content international fans might not be familiar with.

E3 trailer already did that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUC4I64jotk

Lingering Spirit, the new (and voiced) KHIIFM cutscenes, BBSFM Secret Episode content, the Roxas battle, Limit Form, Armor of the Master...

They weren't exactly calling attention to it but they were definitely showing off content international fans might not be familiar with.

Also the comparison trailer that clearly showed the new christmas costumes and new music. But yeah, they don't really list the changes anywhere.

I think a trailer calling attention to that would be more effective, though. Having a decent chunk of new content for an entire market (And their primary one at that, considering KH has historically done better in the west than anywhere else) is a pretty unique bullet point for an HD remaster. I'm surprised they're not leveraging that for marketing purposes.

Psxphile

I think a trailer calling attention to that would be more effective, though. Having a decent chunk of new content for an entire market (And their primary one at that, considering KH has historically done better in the west than anywhere else) is a pretty unique bullet point for an HD remaster. I'm surprised they're not leveraging that for marketing purposes.

The western SE branches might put together something to that effect, but I don't see the Japanese side doing much more than what they're already doing: historically, every Final Mix trailer they've put out teased the new features in trailer form with little fanfare and only went into detail about them in print mags. Well, save for the reveal of KH1FM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uhwwW7WkjQ

It's where the fanbase got the "Unknown" moniker for Org members before we even knew there was an Organization.

As I mentioned before, I can see the North American and Europe branches putting together an english-language trailer that, as you said, bullet-points the new stuff. Though we too have our own print mags (and websites!) to fill in the blanks, so...

Son Of D

I'm surprised myself. I don't remember much of the X/X-2 HD trailers but did they have any features on the new content?

BatDan

Nomura stated that he wants to do a KH game every year right?
2012 was Dream Drop Distance, last year was 1.5 HD, and this year is 2.5 HD.

Maybe next year is Dream Drop Distance Final Mix? The trailer for 2.5 HD teased something involving it

Tsunamo

I'll be away for a couple of days a week after 2.5 comes out, this leaves me with only one option take it easy and finish it when I get back marathon it in a week.
Agreed, the amount of extra/new content compared to the originals is enough to warrant it.

Maybe next year is Dream Drop Distance Final Mix? The trailer for 2.5 HD teased something involving it
I'm going to go out on a whim and assume that either the game next year is some sort of Dream Drop Distance remake (Final Mix or Re:DDD on a new platform, whatever they want to call it) or a collection for new platforms again.

I'd say III but I doubt it'll come out next year, although i'm sure that wont stop new trailers from appearing.

Caladrius

I recall seeing somewhere that Nomura wanted to do something for 3D.

Wish I could remember the source.

People are placing a lot of faith on that statement (from 2009 I believe). I don't expect them to follow up on that, they have to run out of games eventually.

You underestimate the Squeenix milking machine, my good man.

Weiss

Banned
3D is practically required going into KH3, so there's no way it won't at least get a 358 styled cutscene compilation.

BatDan

3D is practically required going into KH3, so there's no way it won't at least get a 358 styled cutscene compilation.

It could at least get a remake.
Unlike Days and Coded (which used that stupid panel system), 3D plays like a Kingdom Hearts game with an actual sense of progression. Sure you had the Dream Eaters giving you abilities, but it makes more sense than the panels.

Unlike Days and Coded (which used that stupid panel system), 3D plays like a Kingdom Hearts game with an actual sense of progression. Sure you had the Dream Eaters giving you abilities, but it makes more sense than the panels.

I've elaborated on this before, but I don't think a remake of DDD makes that much sense unless it gets WILDLY revamped (and, like, finished. Because it's not even remotely full of content in the way that KH1/2/BBS are). They've been dedicating relatively few staff to porting these Remixes, and I'd rather not learn that they took a bunch of people off KH3 to work on a full DDD remake instead of, y'know, completing KH3.

A KH 1.5 + 2.5 + DDD-movie thingy for PS4 might make sense, though.

Son Of D

Either we get Re: DDD for PS3/4 or it gets included in Kingdom Hearts HD Legacy on PS4 (although I think it'll need some more extras to get people to double dip).

I'll give you Days, but how so with Coded? Coded used Panels/Chips/whatever, but it was done so in a way that let you build up Sora without getting too overpowered too early or too weak too far into the game while still giving you a sense of progression. (It helps that it's ability system is probably the most straightforward of the handheld titles as well.) On the other hand, 3D wrecks whatever sense of stat/ability progression with an easily abused, overpowered movement mechanic being given to you right off the bat, and then on top of that, someone had the bright idea to lock abilities like Attack Boost to certain Dream Eaters, which is pretty retarded considering Birth by Sleep had it as a regular ability.

Weiss

Banned
Does anybody else think it's funny that, given the information behind them, the Heartless (which are the corrupted hearts) and Nobodies (which are the remaining body and soul) should have their names switched around?

Psxphile

People are placing a lot of faith on that statement (from 2009 I believe). I don't expect them to follow up on that, they have to run out of games eventually.

Said it before but I would not be surprised by a prologue or lead-in chapter to Kingdom Hearts III being developed as a means to fulfill that vow using the new engine:

A thought occurred to me.

Kingdom Hearts: Ground Zeroes.

Would they really do it? Would Square-Enix release a prologue chapter to Kingdom Hearts III as a sampler to hold rabid fans over while they continue working on the rest? For better or worse, Konami blew the doors open on consoles for other companies to follow a similar business model for their AAA titles (though, to be honest: didn't Gran Turismo do it first?). A lot of people seem to think that there's no way KHIII could be ready until 2016 at the earliest, and with the only other KH release being II.5 ReMix coming this year and nothing else announced as of yet, that leaves 2015 potentially without a major KH title slated for release. Squeenix was pretty adamant about having at least one title ready for every year...

And in this hypothetical situation where Square-Enix is bold enough to try such a thing, should we condemn them or applaud them? For that matter, what would it even be about? Distribution model? Acceptable price point?

KH3D is like the Peace Walker of the franchise. Or something.

No, I mean using the engine they've developed for KHIII and creating a short playable scenario that leads into the greater story of KHIII as a means of off-setting development costs and providing something of substance to a hungry fanbase.

Actually, I think SE did something like this before but on a smaller scale: the exclusive downloable Prologue a.k.a. paid demo of Duodecim Dissidia? I don't know, I just think they wouldn't be completely opposed to the idea, especially if the game is delayed.

Still not sure if it would be a good idea. Ground Zeroes was fairly well-received, though... wasn't it?

Said it before but I would not be surprised by a prologue or lead-in chapter to Kingdom Hearts III being developed as a means to fulfill that vow using the new engine:

Still not sure if it would be a good idea. Ground Zeroes was fairly well-received, though... wasn't it?
I dont know where you got that idea. It only has a 75 on metacritic and game rankings

sasuke_91

Does anybody else think it's funny that, given the information behind them, the Heartless (which are the corrupted hearts) and Nobodies (which are the remaining body and soul) should have their names switched around?
Heartless have a heart, but they cannot feel, so they're "heartless".
Nobodies have a body, but no own personality (only a "borrowed one" from their past life), so they're "nobody".
Very bad explanation I know, but that's what I always thought about it.

Castcoder

Banned
The Ground Zeroes theory can be written off as saying re:Coded and KH3D were KH's Ground Zeroes games. Story-wise, the games have progressed a LOT since KH2. Having KH3 suddenly appear as a AAA demo would only cause more of a development strain. That team is presumably balancing FFXV as well as KH3.

Could it happen? Sure. Would it? I wouldn't hold me breath. As much as KH3 excites me, I want the full package. Ground Zeroes was a rip-off, IMO, but don't flame me for it.

Caladrius

Yeah, I really don't think that making anything really resembling Ground Zeroes would be a good idea because they'd have to price it high in order to recoup development costs.

Tsunamo

I wanted to hope that the pin wasn't the only thing coming with the limited edition but pre-ordering being a free upgrade to the limited edition prettymuch confirms that it is, really disappointing.

Now i'm wondering if people really voted/asked for pins in the survey or if Square-Enix just said screw it and went with a pin.

aravuus

And now I've finally started my KH1.5HD playthrough. It's only been like a year since I last played KH on PS2 but all the music still made me so giddy, I decided to pre-order 2.5HD right away

This is going to be great

Top Bottom