• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Groof

You have no idea how frightening that match was to seven year old me and with the game running in 50hz it was literally going in slow motion.
Oh my god yes I had even forgot about that whole ordeal.

Anyway I'm almost done with the humane parts. Only god Goofy's shield left that you get from the Hades cup and then I can finally beat this thing and feel relatively good.
Very hyped for 2.5 now

Caladrius

I think I'm going to replay 1, CoM and 3D (thank god for New Game +) very soon.

As in starting tomorrow.

Yeah but the prologue is a really really small
really really boring
part of KH2's plot. If anything, it'd just add to the sort of bittersweet/melancholic undertone that the sequence has, much like second/third/whatever playthroughs of KH2.

Maybe. I feel like it'd take out some of the suspense. Though playing Days first does make the final battle of the prologue pack a far bigger punch.

Well technically BBS ends after KH2 because the ending is 11 years later :V

Let's not even get into the fact that the scaling for Kingdom Hearts 1 and the relative positions for CoM and Days are all wrong too. :V

Caladrius

I'm gonna play KH 1 and KH 2 cuz I kinda feel like it too.

Godspeed, YB.

I want to play the entire series in order, but I'm afraid I'll be burnt out by the time 2.5 comes out.

Of course December iiiiis 4 months away and there's only a handful of new releases in the interim.....

Fuck it, it's time for a Kingdom Hearts binge.

Godspeed, YB.

I want to play the entire series in order, but I'm afraid I'll be burnt out by the time 2.5 comes out.

Of course December iiiiis 4 months away and there's only a handful of new releases in the interim.....

Fuck it, it's time for a Kingdom Hearts binge.
I'm gonna do it I'm gonna fucking do it.
Even if it looks terrible because I don't have component cables for PS2 :(

Caladrius

I'm gonna do it I'm gonna fucking do it.
Even if it looks terrible because I don't have component cables for PS2 :(

I know it's going to sound dumb, but I like playing on low-res 4:3 just as much as I do in proper HD widescreen.

I played Paper Mario 1 on a CRT television a couple of months ago and It made me kind of miss it. Nostalgia, I guess.

I know it's going to sound dumb, but I like playing on low-res 4:3 just as much as I do in proper HD widescreen.

I played Paper Mario 1 on a CRT television a couple of months ago and It made me kind of miss it. Nostalgia, I guess.
To be honest I like the blurriness a little, it's softer on the eye but I'm also all for crisp HD.

Village

When 3 finally draws near.

That's when I am doing my in order run.

I am going to get some friends and we are going to absorb that. Hopefully we have enough free time but we will make it work .

Hachitora

Sometime before 1.5 HD ReMIX came out, I had planned to play the entire series by release order on proud mode and without changing keyblades. Got burnt out by Disney Castle in KH2 iirc :p

Edit: Now that I think about it, I probably skipped CoM.

Caladrius

To be honest I like the blurriness a little, it's softer on the eye but I'm also all for crisp HD.

The only real downside for SD to me is the smaller field of view, otherwise I think the same.

When 3 finally draws near.

That's when I am doing my in order run.

I am going to get some friends and we are going to absorb that. Hopefully we have enough free time but we will make it work .

I prefer to do them in release order, because muh nostalgias.

I wonder if we'll see substantive footage next E3.

Sometime before 1.5 HD ReMIX came out, I had planned to play the entire series by release order on proud mode and without changing keyblades. Got burnt out by Disney Castle in KH2 iirc :p

Edit: Now that I think about it, I probably skipped CoM.

Well there's your problem!

I'm only playing the major 4 (1,2,BBS,DDD) and maybe CoM (I'm flip-flopping), and not to completion (except maybe 1 and 2 final mix). BBS and DDD are going to be on-the-road games for when I move, so there'll be little else to do.

I usually take short intermissions between games on top of that. I've got Metroid Prime 2 queued up for an intermission between 1/CoM and 2 and Persona 4 Golden for the gap between BBS and DDD.

Square Enix Presents at E3 actually put together a really cool infographic in their KH2.5 presentation re: which games are where chronologically. A lot less detailed but much easier to take in at a glance.

edit: here
tumblr_n70xnbiLzh1r0dp4jo1_500.png

You know what that means? Sora slept for a couple of months and looks 3 years older in KH II.

zeemumu

You know what that means? Sora slept for a couple of months and looks 3 years older in KH II.

Well Kingdom Hearts 1 and CoM take over a year to get through, right? he was probably going through puberty changes during that but they didn't decide to show the change until the newest game.

Caladrius

Let it be known that Agrabah is the second worst world in Kingdom Hearts 1.
Wait, Monstro is worse so it's merely third, but still

The barriers artificially stuck everywhere to impede your progress are ass
The Bandits are ass
The Fat Bandits are ass
The gargoyles are ass
The pot centipede is an ass
The cave of wonders is a tedious ass that forces you to fight in tiny-ass spaces next to huge-ass ledges that force you to backtrack if you fall down them.
Actually the entrance to the cave of wonders is a gigantic ass for moving around while Bandits fly 500 feet just to knock me off and kill me.
Jafar is ironically only slightly annoying.

The short of it is

Agrabah is ass.

This has been a Rttp Caladrius review

If you liked this review please donate and subscribe.

Prolly, I assume by next e3 they will be trying to push XV out of the door.

I think that might actually produce the opposite problem. If they're rushing to get 15 out the door it's likely that they might leech staff from KH3.

I figured I would enjoy the extra challenge. Though because of it, that cutscene before (KH1 spoilers)
the Riku fight in Hollow Bastion
will forever be etched in my mind. I wish I had done it after 1.5 came out...

It would have been a nightmare because Proud in Final Mix is far worse than expert because of the balance changes.

Falk

that puzzling face
You know, doing this Proud playthrough again, I have come to the conclusion that KH1 just... hasn't really aged very well. Sora as he is in the first game is literally the worst manifestation of the worst JRPG tropes ('hey i'm a kid so i'm gonna be as obnoxious as possible and get offended at people telling me i'm a kid')

Combat was really unrefined, Proud mode really just relies on a borderline broken gimmick (Leaf Bracer + Cure + Second Chance), and the world design... good God the world design:

Destiny Island: Hey, what better way to start off the game than with a FETCH QUEST. Oh, you finished the fetch quest didn't you? Well let's go to bed so we can get to tomorrow, where you get ANOTHER FETCH QUEST LOL. Also the race that sets Sora up as a dumbass and Riku as a jerk regardless who wins.

Wonderland: Wonky platforming with annoying cast of characters

Deep Jungle: Terrible pitfall-wannabe vine area, a lot of random backtracking to random places on the map, kinda wish Clayton actually exterminated the gorillas, sorry.

Agrabah: Cave of Wonders sewer system. Enough said

Atlantis: Aside from being an underwater world that takes the small joy out of dodging/blocking, arguably the most random backtracking, obtuse directions a lot of the time "Hey, you know that BIG FISH? maybe it wants to play!"

Halloween Town: Perhaps the least indecent of the lot, marred by numerous unskippable area swapping animations.

Neverland: Again, a lot of obtuse/confusing directions, strong desire to punch Peter Pan in the nuts so he never flies again

100 Acre Wood: Entire cast should be lit on fire.

Hollow Bastion: Decent, although the sewer/dungeon area was completely unnecessary especially the gates 'puzzle'.

End of the World: I don't know about you, but this place drags on way too long. On the bright side, it is highly linear which is a complete breath of fresh air compared to the rest of the game (I can't believe I just said that)

I dunno, maybe I'm cranky after having to replay this another two times for the plat just because I went full retard and overwrote my saves, but going through proud without my "go to X, now go to Y" cheat sheet just reminded me how ridiculously un-directed a lot of the game was, where you literally had to stumble on the next trigger to move the story forward.

Every single other game in the franchise (bar CoM for obvious reasons) has aged better by a huge margin.

edit: One thing that the HD Remix makes a lot more pronounced is the low-poly models that's used for half the cutscenes. KH1 Sora's especially looks hideously bug-eyed in any angle other than right in front. Part of me wished the HD Remix had gone through everything and updated all the dialogue and cutscenes to use the high-poly, animation-rigged models rather than moving mouth textures, but I guess that'd have required an inordinate amount of man hours. :(

KH1 has a lot of the best music though

edit2: Not to say I didn't have an awesome trip down memory lane with the HD 1.5 ReMIX once through, but the multiple playthroughs really didn't do anything for me. Not the same way I'd gladly replay through KH2 multiple times. Bring on KH2.5. Really. If I didn't expect to be spending a shit ton of time on both KH2 and BBS for trophies come October, I'd actually replay KH2 right now. D:

You guys hating on Agrabah are weird. It's the only properly dungeon-y world in the game outside of Hollow Bastion. Basic progression through it is extremely simple; pretty much all of the tricky stuff in it is 100% optional treasures and stuff.

Caladrius

good God the world design:

edit2: Not to say I didn't have an awesome trip down memory lane with the HD 1.5 ReMIX once through, but the multiple playthroughs really didn't do anything for me. Not the same way I'd gladly replay through KH2 multiple times. Bring on KH2.5. Really. If I didn't expect to be spending a shit ton of time on both KH2 and BBS for trophies come October, I'd actually replay KH2 right now. D:

You forgot Monstro and Traverse Town :V
I generally agree that the streamlining of objectives really has helped make the level design more tolerable in the later games. While it is unfortunate that it's highly linear now, at least it's designed to actually cut to the chase as opposed to meandering about.

If I remember right 1.5 was working with a skeleton crew, so there isn't much they really could do for the animations. Hopefully 2.5 was afforded a more generous budget.

You guys hating on Agrabah are weird. It's the only properly dungeon-y world in the game outside of Hollow Bastion. Basic progression through it is extremely simple; pretty much all of the tricky stuff in it is 100% optional treasures and stuff.

The level design by itself isn't all that much of an issue for the most part (considering I'm at best apathetic towards dungeons in most games besides Zelda), it's just that the enemies are incredibly aggravating and accentuate what problems the level design has.

The level design by itself isn't all that much of an issue for the most part (considering I'm at best apathetic towards dungeons in most games besides Zelda), it's just that the enemies are incredibly aggravating and accentuate what problems the level design has.

That's true (though it's mostly just the Fat Bandits - the Fat Bandit/Large Body enemies in KH1 are largely neutralized as soon as you get High Jump).

Agrabah's a big Blizzard/Blizzara world, though. Not just the fire-elemental enemies, but also the relatively close quarters and the flying enemies. You tend to be able to nuke a lot of enemies at once with ice-elemental magic in that world because they're always naturally bunched up next to each other.

That took care of the vast majority of the flying bandit enemies for me (though their downward punch hits pretty damn hard on Proud Mode, for sure).

This is interesting.
A lot of the stuff you mentioned as negatives are usually thrown around as good things KH1 has that the others lack, and people tend to not like the linearity of the others.

I like both of them styles so I'm happy with whatever comes in KH3 tough it's more likely that it will resemble KH2 more than 1.

Caladrius

That's true (though it's mostly just the Fat Bandits - the Fat Bandit/Large Body enemies in KH1 are largely neutralized as soon as you get High Jump).

Agrabah's a big Blizzard/Blizzara world, though. Not just the fire-elemental enemies, but also the relatively close quarters and the flying enemies. You tend to be able to nuke a lot of enemies at once with ice-elemental magic in that world because they're always naturally bunched up next to each other.

That took care of the vast majority of the flying bandit enemies for me (though their downward punch hits pretty damn hard on Proud Mode, for sure).

I realized that by the time I got to Monstro and was forced to use Magic to nuke the large bodies blocking the damn doors. I feel like an idiot now.

roxas or ven?

I needn't state my answer.

shut up monstro doesn't exist shut up monstro doesn't exist shut up monstro doesn't exist

It's all a bad dream filled with completely unnecessary Trinity marks you have to backtrack for.

BBS monstro was p good~

I thought it was okay. The attack cycle bugged me because you can only hit him for a small fraction of the time.

Weiss

Banned
The worst thing about Monstro is in 3D where Prankster's Paradise shifts from the demented carnival to another slog through Monstro's intestines. Riku doesn't even get to the carnival itself, his whole level is inside Monstro.

Falk

that puzzling face
what the hell? using stop on a boss is op

It's actually more of the bizarre interaction between stop and gravity- since the former freezes HP and deals all received damage when it wears off and the latter is based on current HP, they stack in a ridiculous manner.

Andrefpvs

It's actually more of the bizarre interaction between stop and gravity- since the former freezes HP and deals all received damage when it wears off and the latter is based on current HP, they stack in a ridiculous manner.

That's... pretty clever. I never thought about this.

iosefe

i'm surprised they allowed that combo on her. most bosses don't allow stop

Falk

that puzzling face
Man, videos like these are on the opposite end of the spectrum to the no-damage ones. In essence, it's reassurance that you can be utterly garbage at the game and yet grind out an unbeatable level/stats advantage vs the final bosses.

(Which is good for me, mind you. Not ragging on this guy)

I completely forgot that I actually beat Sephiroth and the extra boss in Agrabah the last time I played Kingdom Hearts.

About the levels, I agree that they're tedious but for some strange reason I always want to replay some worlds, particularly Deep Jungle and Neverland because those worlds aren't in other KH games as often as Agrabah, Wonderland, etc. so they always feel new and refreshing to me.

That video's now reminding me of my currently-suppressed desire to go back to KH 1.5 and grind out enough AP Ups to equip all abilities on all characters (and maybe grind out str/def ups too). Blugh. Synthesis in KH1FM is so shitty.

Thank god KH2FM isn't nearly as bad in that regard (especially with regard to stat grinding - thanks, data replicas!)

Top Bottom