• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Caladrius

I'd like for everyone to take a minute to appreciate how weird the font of Kingdom Hearts 1 Final Mix's subtitle is.

Kingdom_Hearts_Final_Mix_Logo_KHFM.png

That video's now reminding me of my currently-suppressed desire to go back to KH 1.5 and grind out enough AP Ups to equip all abilities on all characters (and maybe grind out str/def ups too). Blugh. Synthesis in KH1FM is so shitty.

Thank god KH2FM isn't nearly as bad in that regard (especially with regard to stat grinding - thanks, data replicas!)

I have yet to finish synthesizing in KHFM.

It's a good thing they dropped the gimmick enemies for the most part in 2. I love that 2 Final Mix lets you stack the shit out of Lucky Lucky bonuses to the point where every other enemy (at worst) drops something. After the initial issues getting your first few rings it's amazingly convenient (as far as synthesis can go). I wish they had kept it for future games.

Falk

that puzzling face
The gimmick enemies were cool in their own right, although some of them had a bullshit number for their total requirements for synth. Only thing I can think of other than needing 2-3 of each Stone tops, is they needed to be off in their own areas accessible 100% of the time rather than randomly replacing an encounter, and Pink Agaricus in 1.5 needs to be doable again without relying on glitching out Donald/Goofy.

Finally sat through the 1.5 358/2 days cutscenes and I get why people were complaining about the lack of battles representation. You could argue that fleshing out the Organization's members were optional and there would be no way to really cover all of that in 2 hours from a 50 hour game, but the last 1/5th especially lost so much of its emotional impact since the entire story really was about Xion/Roxas/Axel's interactions and how they affected the rest of the (non-Organization) cast.

I cried manly tears again though

Andrefpvs

I cried manly tears again though

Ah, Days! It's time for me to pull out this image again!

Ouvirfr.png

This doesn't really apply to the "movie" version, though :p

Finally sat through the 1.5 358/2 days cutscenes and I get why people were complaining about the lack of battles representation. You could argue that fleshing out the Organization's members were optional and there would be no way to really cover all of that in 2 hours from a 50 hour game, but the last 1/5th especially lost so much of its emotional impact since the entire story really was about Xion/Roxas/Axel's interactions and how they affected the rest of the (non-Organization) cast.

It also makes the scene where
Xion fades away
very confusing. One second
she's taunting Roxas, the other she's mortally wounded.

As it stands, the best way to experience Days would probably be to watch the HD version up until day 350, then play the DS version from there (I realise how impractical this sounds). Those last 2 battles are really powerful (they made the game worth playing for me, as the above image testifies).

Also, it bothered me how
Saïx didn't get the pounding he deserved.
The movie literally makes no mention at all to his battle against Roxas!

Falk

that puzzling face
It also makes the scene where
Xion fades away
very confusing. One second
she's taunting Roxas, the other she's mortally wounded.

Well, from many of the scenes prior, even people who hadn't played the original would have to at least know/expect that fights are omitted. Really obvious whenever
Xion and Axel face off
for example. Of course, you're right in that it's still jarring as heck. Although on the flipside
not having to confusingly show Xion's 2893472983472893 forms without the added explanation of Xemnas' devices probably had some part of that decision

edit: Just struck me as funny how many spoiler tags we're using when Square Enix's trailers spoil everything from the games and then some. :V

Levyne

Banned
The battle against
Saix
, the battle against
Xion
and what happens before and after it, and the last level with dual wielding Roxas wrecking shit in The World That Never Was plus the battle against Riku are what makes 358/Days awesome for me.

Plus this cutscene is one of the best in the series

Something seems off about this to be. Like it's over-acted? I dunno, never really cared for Flynn's performances in most things.

Falk

that puzzling face
Something we will see on the PS4 (fingers crossed)

I'd really hope so. If TLoU can push 60fps, I'm going to be very, very disappointed if something with Kingdom Hearts' art style sacrifices 60fps for more bloom.

About release dates, I'd say wait till at least TGS before making any logical deductions. That's the yearly swan song* of Square Enix info. To be fair, I want to say I'm leaning towards a 'no' too, but I've been 'quoted' as a 'reliable source' before so take that with a disclaimer that I honestly don't know either lol.

edit: *Actually, for KH, that might not actually be true since D23 has also traditionally been a prime spot for press releases/etc.

I'd really hope so. If TLoU can push 60fps, I'm going to be very, very disappointed if something with Kingdom Hearts' art style sacrifices 60fps for more bloom.

About release dates, I'd say wait till at least TGS before making any logical deductions. That's the yearly swan song* of Square Enix info. To be fair, I want to say I'm leaning towards a 'no' too, but I've been 'quoted' as a 'reliable source' before so take that with a disclaimer that I honestly don't know either lol.

edit: *Actually, for KH, that might not actually be true since D23 has also traditionally been a prime spot for press releases/etc.
Actually Jump Festa in december has been the most prominant KH event the last few years. AFAIK every year for the past ~10 years there has been a new KH trailer. So I'm hoping they keep with the tradition and we get a new look at KH3 (or DDD HD lol). At that point it would be over a year since the last trailer we got at D23.

TGS feels fuckin dead these days. No expectations for it at all.

As for the release date before I was predicting december 2015 for Japan but I'm still getting suckered by SE time and time again (like when I thought they could maybe have 2.5 out in may in the west? I'm an idiot. Also the situation with XV...

New prediction: lateish 2016 JPN. But I will stand by my other old prediction that KH3 releases before XV lol.

Caladrius

We can all pretty much agree that there's no way KH3 is coming out in 2015, right?

Unless we finally crack from desperation, yes.

They have the core engine up and running it seems, but they barely had any assets in the demos. We have no idea what scale the team is and how FFXV is affecting development. They could be running like a freight train or moving at a crawl. Not much we can do but wait to see what they show later this year, if anything. 2016 is probably a safer bet though.

I hate having little information like this.

RPGCrazied

No way Kingdom Hearts III comes out next year, not even in Japan. Final Fantasy XV on the other hand probably will come out late next year in Japan, 2016 for NA. This game cannot be delayed any longer.

Malyse

Bluepoint ftw!

who has worked on exactly zero RPG's

Square would know more about their teams than I would, I hope they have more than just 2!

Do you really want someone new working on one of the most important games in the series? Like, you could skip every other game between 2 and 3 but this one.

Cobble up some Dragon Quest devs together alongside the current ReMix crew maybe?

They could alternatively contract a 3rd party if they really wanted it.(Which is none too likely, but eh.)

No thank you. Those ReMix devs need to carry their collective ass back to FFXV and KH3 to speed them along. DQ needs to work on my damn localization of ten.

Banzai

With 2.5 releasing in December, when do you guys think we'll see a 1.5+2.5 collection? Even if it's just packaging both games in one disc case or whatever.

Banzai

Damn, that's exactly what I want. Here's hoping
against better judgement
something at least similar makes it west.

All they need to do is render the game at higher resolution/AA ect, touch on a few textures here and there and replace the touch/camera/doublescreen stuff with something else. Hell, if the game was for PS4 the touchpad could already be implemented on quite a few of things.

Bam, DDD HD.

Caladrius

All they need to do is render the game at higher resolution/AA ect, touch on a few textures here and there and replace the touch/camera/doublescreen stuff with something else. Hell, if the game was for PS4 the touchpad could already be implemented on quite a few of things.

Bam, DDD HD.

That's actually a pretty tall order. They have to port between Nintendo's specialized hardware and either the PS3's clusterspooge of a processor or the x86 PS4 (3DS is Power PC) If they remove most of the AR and Dream Eater features they're going to have to make a new system that needs balancing (yeah, I know) and bug-testing

It'd be an even bigger porting job than Birth By Sleep HD.

That's actually a pretty tall order. They have to port between Nintendo's specialized hardware and either the PS3's clusterspooge of a processor or the x86 PS4 (3DS is Power PC) If they remove most of the AR and Dream Eater features they're going to have to make a new system that needs balancing (yeah, I know) and bug-testing

It'd be an even bigger porting job than Birth By Sleep HD.
Thats why they sell it as a standalone game instead of a collection sillly!

It's not like 3DS games haven't been remastered before like Revelaitons. And that was for 4 platforms!

To be honest the AR stuff can be axed entirely with nothing of value lost. Have the stupid AR exclusive spirits be rewards on the minigames or something. Have them be a preorder bonus for all I care. I don't recall anything too crucial that wouldn't be easily replaceable with either touchpad or something.

Most of the touch stuff werent even deeply implemented in the game, more like a fancy QTE IIRC.

Do you really want someone new working on one of the most important games in the series? Like, you could skip every other game between 2 and 3 but this one.

It's important for story reasons but the cutscenes are already complete. And, to be frank, a lot of the actual *game* side of it could use some serious work (like FlowMotion breaking a bunch of the level design and not flowing directly into your combos in the way that melee/deck abilities work seamlessly together, Reality Shift being kinda sucky and unfun, and like every single thing involving the Dream Eaters).

Honestly, they could just port over a bunch of stuff from Birth By Sleep (like command melding and the superior passive-ability system), make the Dream Eater leveling solely about their stats so the touchscreen minigames could be 100% removed, and you'd have a much better growth system, eliminate a vast amount of the touchscreen nonsense, and generally streamline gameplay to be all about finding the Dream Eaters you actually want fighting with you in your party (and building them with good stats) instead of choosing the ones who offer Sora the best passive abilities, and all simply by looking at precedent in the series rather than requiring RPG-design expertise. *shrugs*

If they wanted to address the general lack-of-content problem that the game has and add a bunch of superbosses and stuff that's another thing, of course.

There's also likely no fixing the Drop system, but if the other issues with the game were taken care of it'd feel a lot less grating (and maybe they could extend the base drop time by 50% or something, though I honestly never had a huge issue with it).

Malyse

It's important for story reasons but the cutscenes are already complete. And, to be frank, a lot of the actual *game* side of it could use some serious work (like FlowMotion breaking a bunch of the level design and not flowing directly into your combos in the way that melee/deck abilities work seamlessly together, Reality Shift being kinda sucky and unfun, and like every single thing involving the Dream Eaters).

Honestly, they could just port over a bunch of stuff from Birth By Sleep (like command melding and the superior passive-ability system), make the Dream Eater leveling solely about their stats so the touchscreen minigames could be 100% removed, and you'd have a much better growth system, eliminate a vast amount of the touchscreen nonsense, and generally streamline gameplay to be all about finding the Dream Eaters you actually want fighting with you in your party (and building them with good stats) instead of choosing the ones who offer Sora the best passive abilities, and all simply by looking at precedent in the series rather than requiring RPG-design expertise. *shrugs*

If they wanted to address the general lack-of-content problem that the game has and add a bunch of superbosses and stuff that's another thing, of course.

And again, who exactly do you want to work on this?

Are those fucking unique disc prints?
If there isn't a legit special edition State-side I may have to import one.

There is! You get a pin! Please be excite.

Falk

that puzzling face
You know, once upon a time we got a pseudo-remake of a handheld game and it was bundled with a numbered Kingdom Hearts title.

I'd really like it if they could make FlowMotion somehow based on limited-meter-consumption (and boost its attack power accordingly and/or make it easier to cancel out of), but an additional meter would throw off the game's bonus levels.

The only part of the game I can think of where you basically *need* the (really, really goddamn stupid) jump-chaining that breaks the platforming everywhere else is at the immensely tall skyscraper in TWTNW, and there's no good reason not to lower that a bunch.

And again, who exactly do you want to work on this?
I agree with the BluePoint suggestion because, for the reasons I mentioned, there'd be no story or art work required and very little game design work required. Just the technical job of porting it, and they're the best in the business at that (along with HexaDrive, who did Okami HD).

Malyse

I agree with the BluePoint suggestion because, for the reasons I mentioned, there'd be no story or art work required and very little game design work required. Just the technical job of porting it, and they're the best in the business at that (along with HexaDrive, who did Okami HD).

Wait, aren't you the one who said

And, to be frank, a lot of the actual *game* side of it could use some serious work (like FlowMotion breaking a bunch of the level design and not flowing directly into your combos in the way that melee/deck abilities work seamlessly together, Reality Shift being kinda sucky and unfun, and like every single thing involving the Dream Eaters).

There's also likely no fixing the Drop system, but if the other issues with the game were taken care of it'd feel a lot less grating (and maybe they could extend the base drop time by 50% or something, though I honestly never had a huge issue with it).

How is that not a lot of design work? Plus there's no chance in hell this is a straight 3DS to PS3 conversion. Kingdom Hearts doesn't work like that.

It was first released in 1.5 in EU tho.

No one understands your weird English accent, Elizabeth.

How is that not a lot of design work? Plus there's no chance in hell this is a straight 3DS to PS3 conversion. Kingdom Hearts doesn't work like that.

It's not a lot of design work because it doesn't involve the creation and balancing of new systems, just bringing over already-invented ones from Birth By Sleep.

And what do you mean it won't be a straight 3DS to PS3 conversion? Obviously it won't have touchscreen elements or dual-screen elements, but uh yeah the models would be the same and they'd just need to get it running and improve the texture art.

The point is that none of that requires "RPG experience." Just technical expertise.

They're not going to rebuild DDD from scratch, lol. It'll be a port just like BBS HD, or it'll be a cutscene-only movie like 358/2 Days HD.

Make it a visual novel and remove all the gameplay parts.

BTW can you imagine if KH3 bombs (at least relatively). I could imagine SE shitting their pants. DDD apparently didn't do too well compared to BBS or hell, Days that sold way more than it had any right to, so that makes the handhelds a scary place to go back to with bigger budget.

I really hope KH3 does well. It would probably mean a fast KH4 in vein of DDD but instead of experimenting on all kinds of weird shit like DDD they could just fovus on fixing the inevitable mess that KH3 gameplay system will be!

I totally don't know what to expect from KH3 but at least it gives the tools to a much smoother KH4 from a relatively fresh start from gameplay and story perspective.

DDD's an essential story chapter pre-KH3 but if it were actually so important in terms of budget and effort to Nomura then maybe he would have actually given it a full game's amount of content the first time around, lol.

It's not getting a full from-scratch remake.
BTW can you imagine if KH3 bombs (at least relatively). I could imagine SE shitting their pants. DDD apparently didn't do too well compared to BBS or hell, Days that sold way more than it had any right to, so that makes the handhelds a scary place to go back to with bigger budget.

I really hope KH3 does well. It would probably mean a fast KH4 in vein of DDD but instead of experimenting on all kinds of weird shit like DDD they could just fovus on fixing the inevitable mess that KH3 gameplay system will be!

I totally don't know what to expect from KH3 but at least it gives the tools to a much smoother KH4 from a relatively fresh start from gameplay and story perspective.
I fully expect KH3 not to hit the reset button (I hope, ugh), and to be plenty consequential in terms of story of course, but to satisfyingly wrap up the Xehanort stuff (possibly revealing another evil behind him though - I wouldn't count that trope out) and to rescue all of the bazillion people who are asleep and/or trapped inside other people, so that at the beginning of KH4 there's a well-fleshed out basic mythology and a large cast of characters but no fully-established villain yet.

And yeah, hopefully the next villain won't have *quite* as much constant retconning/lengthy backstory involved, heh.

Malyse

And what do you mean it won't be a straight 3DS to PS3 conversion? Obviously it won't have touchscreen elements or dual-screen elements, but uh yeah the models would be the same and they'd just need to get it running and improve the texture art.

Final Mix added six weapons, four cutscenes, a boss battle, multiple gummy missions, a new secret ending, 15 new equipment, a new difficulty, and three more Ansem Reports.

RE: CoM added 3D controls, multiple story retcons, 13 new weapons, an entirely overhauled Reverse Rebirth mode, multiple new boss battles, new cutscenes, new weapons, new support abilities, new room types, new slieghts... basically it was a whole new game telling an older story.

2 Final Mix added a new difficulty, a new drive form, over 30 additional boss battles, a new minigame, a new item for collection, a new secret ending, numerous new cutscenes, multiple new bosses, a theater mode, and many more weapons and accessories.

RE: coded is completely overhauled and has as many changes as RE: CoM.

Birth Final Mix added new command styles, new abilities, and new command board, tons of new fights in the Mirage Arena, new secret bosses, a entirely new playable epilogue, new weapons, new cutscenes and the like.

Plus, I.5 and II.5 have had balancing and additions to them as well. It's painfully obvious that 3D was rushed out the door and could have been more polished. So why exactly would you expect they to *not* add a ton of stuff to an RE: 3D? It would literally be the first time in franchise history when they didn't. And you would put that on a studio with no experience with the series?

No. Thanks.

Note: that's not a comprehensive list.

Final Mix added six weapons, four cutscenes, a boss battle, multiple gummy missions, a new secret ending, 15 new equipment, a new difficulty, and three more Ansem Reports.

RE: CoM added 3D controls, multiple story retcons, 13 new weapons, an entirely overhauled Reverse Rebirth mode, multiple new boss battles, new cutscenes, new weapons, new support abilities, new room types, new slieghts... basically it was a whole new game telling an older story.

2 Final Mix added a new difficulty, a new drive form, over 30 additional boss battles, a new minigame, a new item for collection, a new secret ending, numerous new cutscenes, multiple new bosses, a theater mode, and many more weapons and accessories.

RE: coded is completely overhauled and has as many changes as RE: CoM.

Birth Final Mix added new command styles, new abilities, and new command board, tons of new fights in the Mirage Arena, new secret bosses, a entirely new playable epilogue, new weapons, new cutscenes and the like.

Plus, I.5 and II.5 have had balancing and additions to them as well. It's painfully obvious that 3D was rushed out the door and could have been more polished. So why exactly would you expect they to *not* add a ton of stuff to an RE: 3D? It would literally be the first time in franchise history when they didn't. And you would put that on a studio with no experience with the series?

No. Thanks.

Note: that's not a comprehensive list.

If DDD were getting a full standalone release at $40, then yeah, I'd absolutely expect new content and refined styles. My point is that I don't expect that to happen. I see either a downloadable $20 release or a packaged-in bonus with a 1.5+2.5 PS4 collection.

Malyse

If DDD were getting a full standalone release at $40, then yeah, I'd absolutely expect new content and refined styles. My point is that I don't expect that to happen. I see either a downloadable $20 release or a packaged-in bonus with a 1.5+2.5 PS4 collection.

And that's not how SE does things.

Top Bottom