• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

And that's not how SE does things.

I want to point out that I dearly want you to be correct and I dearly want to be wrong about this. I'd absolutely love a truly fleshed-out and polished version of DDD, I just don't see them pulling the necessary staff off of KH3 or FFXV to make it happen.

They gave DDD short shrift when they made it the first time, and I suspect they'll do it again.

Malyse

I want to point out that I dearly want you to be correct and I dearly want to be wrong about this. I'd absolutely love a truly fleshed-out and polished version of DDD, I just don't see them pulling the necessary staff off of KH3 or FFXV to make it happen.

They gave DDD short shrift when they made it the first time, and I suspect they'll do it again.

They won't. Which is why I don't expect a RE: 3D until after III is out, a la RE: CoM in Final Mix +. They announce another Kingdom Hearts that isn't III and people will tell them to fuck off en masse. Plus they can't make it correctly without harming their two biggest profile games.

They won't. Which is why I don't expect a RE: 3D until after III is out, a la RE: CoM in Final Mix +. They announce another Kingdom Hearts that isn't III and people will tell them to fuck off en masse. Plus they can't make it correctly without harming their two biggest profile games.

I suppose that could happen, but so few people played DDD and it's so essential for leading into KH3 that, if catching people up on the story on consoles is the stated purpose of the 1.5 and 2.5 HD Remixes, they're completely abandoning the goal of catching people up on the story if DDD in story form (at least) doesn't somehow make its way to consoles before KH3.

And if Re:DDD doesn't happen until post-KH3, then we're still left wondering what's going to happen in 2015.

:-/

Malyse

I suppose that could happen, but so few people played DDD and it's so essential for leading into KH3 that, if catching people up on the story on consoles is the stated purpose of the 1.5 and 2.5 HD Remixes, they're completely abandoning the goal of catching people up on the story if DDD in story form (at least) doesn't somehow make its way to consoles before KH3.

And if Re:DDD doesn't happen until post-KH3, then we're still left wondering what's going to happen in 2015.

:-/

They've missed a year before. And 3DS is hella worth it. Drive up them Bravely Default sales.

I wouldn't call over 1 million people "so few." It's also the most recent new release, and available on current platforms to boot. Nothing like the two numbered games + CoM and BBS which are no longer playable on current hardware (and incidentally the full games in the collection).

Ah, forgot to mention that the KH 2.5 trailer with the split-second DDD stuff at the very end strongly hints that something DDD-related *is* the next (2015?) project.

Caladrius

Thats why they sell it as a standalone game instead of a collection sillly!

It's not like 3DS games haven't been remastered before like Revelaitons. And that was for 4 platforms!

Most of the touch stuff werent even deeply implemented in the game, more like a fancy QTE IIRC.

Fair enough.

Ah, forgot to mention that the KH 2.5 trailer with the split-second DDD stuff at the very end strongly hints that something DDD-related *is* the next (2015?) project.

I don't remember this for some reason. When was that trailer released?

They've missed a year before. And 3DS is hella worth it. Drive up them Bravely Default sales.
They haven't missed a year for a while tho.

2014=2.5
2013=1.5, KHX
2012=DDD
2011=BBS FM
2010=BBS, re:coded
2009=Days
2008=Coded
2007=KH2FM

so you could argue 2006 was the last year with no new KH releases and even then it saw the release of KH2 overseas. They have been quite busy with the games even before the famous Nomura quote of making the series annual. I have no doubt there will be something for 2015 to tide us over whether it is DDD HD, 1.5+2.5 next gen, KH theatrythm or KH3 (lol).

Thats why they sell it as a standalone game instead of a collection sillly!

It's not like 3DS games haven't been remastered before like Revelaitons. And that was for 4 platforms!

To be honest the AR stuff can be axed entirely with nothing of value lost. Have the stupid AR exclusive spirits be rewards on the minigames or something. Have them be a preorder bonus for all I care. I don't recall anything too crucial that wouldn't be easily replaceable with either touchpad or something.

Most of the touch stuff werent even deeply implemented in the game, more like a fancy QTE IIRC.

True this video explains most:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb2HGukv6ao

Plus the fact they can use Touchpad on DS4 is touchscreen stuff and the PS4 camera for the 3ds cameras.

Yeah if DDD HD is made I doubt it will go to PS3.

Also KH3 won't be delayed Square has so many teams to use internally and other companies to outsource too. Don't say PS4 ports and DDD remaster will delay KH3, it won't. That same reason got shot down in the HD remaster threads on the gaming side.

Malyse

True this video explains most:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb2HGukv6ao

Plus the fact they can use Touchpad on DS4 is touchscreen stuff and the PS4 camera for the 3ds cameras.

Yeah if DDD HD is made I doubt it will go to PS3.

Also KH3 won't be delayed Square has so many teams to use internally and other companies to outsource too. Don't say PS4 ports and DDD remaster will delay KH3, it won't. That same reason got shot down in the HD remaster threads on the gaming side.

Did you even read this thread?

PS4 install base <<<< PS3. Go where the money is.

Falk

that puzzling face
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if anything PS3 onward relied on cloud/streaming (PSNow) or otherwise digital distribution (latter not happening with KH for well-known reasons) for posterity, because at this point a PS4 port seems like a stopgap measure until the next generation rolls around. And the franchise has already spanned 3 generations. It will be really stupid if by the time PS7 or whatever rolls around in 2035 and KH6 has its SHD remake, KH1.5 and 2.5 are on its 4th incarnations in 8k/VR (meaning the 6th version of 1FM and 2FM) and so on and so forth.

Yes, Square Enix is a business and Remasters do sell well short term vs their resource allocation, but Yasue and Nomura did say one of the big concerns was having a consolidated platform to play the games on.

PC ports for everything please

edit: D: <-- mfw Re:CoM lv80 Riku but just realized I'm actually only almost halfway through the grind for lv100 trophy.

I think DDD is more than likely going to get the Days & Re:Coded HD Cinematics treatment in lieu of a port/remake. It's plot is practically required reading for KHIII, and considering the point of the HD remasters is to catch people up on the story without having to jump consoles every game, giving it the cutscene treatment and packing it in with the inevitable PS4/XB1 ports of 1.5 and 2.5 (With remasters seemingly being the hotness the generation, and S-E already on record for not ruling out the possibility, not to mention it'd be the only way to catch up Xbox One owners on the series...) seems like the best way to do it without having to divert extra staff and resources to a full blown port/remake.

I'd like to think Square's learned a humbling lesson from last gen about stretching their dev teams too thin, but we'll see.

I think DDD is more than likely going to get the Days & Re:Coded HD Cinematics treatment in lieu of a port/remake. It's plot is practically required reading for KHIII, and considering the point of the HD remasters is to catch people up on the story without having to jump consoles every game, giving it the cutscene treatment and packing it in with the inevitable PS4/XB1 ports of 1.5 and 2.5 (With remasters seemingly being the hotness the generation, and S-E already on record for not ruling out the possibility, not to mention it'd be the only way to catch up Xbox One owners on the series...) seems like the best way to do it without having to divert extra staff and resources to a full blown port/remake.

I'd like to think Square's learned a humbling lesson from last gen about stretching their dev teams too thin, but we'll see.
I agree that this is very likely.

Malyse

Naw. III with have the flashbacks of 3D and a plot synopsis, same as they did for the previous games in 3D

Son Of D

Random thought. I've never played BBS but didn't it have some sort of multiplayer? If so, do we know whether the HD remaster will still include that in some form or is it being removed?

I'm guessing Dream Drop Distance Final Mix HD ReMIX for PS3. With a PS4 collection of 1.5, 2.5 and DDD HD as well.

Falk

that puzzling face
This is also my pain right now. How are you grinding? I feel like I'm not being efficient enough :/

Teeming rooms, basically Maleficent -> spam triangle to break stuff up to Dark Riku, then switch to Lexaeus and spam cyclone (deck shortcut goes to the first 9 after the 2 zeros)

Hilariously enough it's actually faster to -not- hit them out on the map since you want them to throw out a card for you to break ASAP rather than sit stunned.

edit: This guy does something very similar other than the room choice. I really despise Defenders as it makes positioning a headache hence Teeming > Martial for this (no Defenders on all possible Teeming spawns)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oWwyfyP9X8

edit2:
Random thought. I've never played BBS but didn't it have some sort of multiplayer? If so, do we know whether the HD remaster will still include that in some form or is it being removed?

Yasue as per E3 interviews: BBS Mirage Arena online functionality being canned, some minor rebalancing.

This video does make a good argument for 3D being remade in HD.

Days and Coded weren't remade as they would have to make an entirely new game. 3D has similar models to Birth by Sleep so it would be easy.

I'm not sure this guy knows what he's talking about. He's right in that remaking the game would be resource and time consuming (Anyone with common sense could tell that, though), but as far as graphic assets are concerned, they wouldn't need to be separately remade at all like this guy says. A very large chunk of the assets needed for a potential HD Days or Coded remake could be ripped straight from the HD versions of KH1, KH2 and Re:CoM. Hell, that's pretty much exactly what they're doing to make the HD movies in the first place. Asset reuse is nothing new to the series.

With that said, I'm sure they do have HD ready assets from KH3D lying around. The problem with porting 3D isn't really visuals, it's the amount of reworking that would have to be done because of the way the game was designed to use the touchscreen.

With that said, I'm sure they do have HD ready assets from KH3D lying around. The problem with porting 3D isn't really visuals, it's the amount of reworking that would have to be done because of the way the game was designed to use the touchscreen.

Yeah - but as I said in an earlier post, all of the touchscreen/dual-screen specific mechanics are fairly easy to get rid of:

It's important for story reasons but the cutscenes are already complete. And, to be frank, a lot of the actual *game* side of it could use some serious work (like FlowMotion breaking a bunch of the level design and not flowing directly into your combos in the way that melee/deck abilities work seamlessly together, Reality Shift being kinda sucky and unfun, and like every single thing involving the Dream Eaters).

Honestly, they could just port over a bunch of stuff from Birth By Sleep (like command melding and the superior passive-ability system), make the Dream Eater leveling solely about their stats so the touchscreen minigames could be 100% removed, and you'd have a much better growth system, eliminate a vast amount of the touchscreen nonsense, and generally streamline gameplay to be all about finding the Dream Eaters you actually want fighting with you in your party (and building them with good stats) instead of choosing the ones who offer Sora the best passive abilities, and all simply by looking at precedent in the series rather than requiring RPG-design expertise. *shrugs*

If they wanted to address the general lack-of-content problem that the game has and add a bunch of superbosses and stuff that's another thing, of course.

There's also likely no fixing the Drop system, but if the other issues with the game were taken care of it'd feel a lot less grating (and maybe they could extend the base drop time by 50% or something, though I honestly never had a huge issue with it).

Basically the main touchscreen stuff is all minigames, Dream Eater petting (blugh) and Reality Shift, and most of the minigames could just be canned entirely because they're really stupid and shitty. Reality Shift stuff could likely be handled with a simple L2+R2 control or something similar.

The game's definitely chock-full of dual-screen and touchscreen mechanics, but upon further inspection very very few of them are actually important whatsoever to the core of the game.

Caladrius

Falk

that puzzling face
guys if you add together all the numbers in 1.5 + 2.5 HD collection bundle you get 1 + 5 + 2 + 5 = 13

Half Life 3 confirmed

Falk

that puzzling face
That feel when you're farming Black Fungus/White Mushroom card, finally get it to drop, get a celebratory drink, come back and realize it was another White Room card, not a White Mushroom card.

aguajgjajfkdjf

edit: And the age old solution for RNG - bitching on forums about it - holds true, because the actual White Mushroom -just- dropped.

Psxphile

I wonder what's going to happen to Birth By Sleep Final Mix's secret ending since the game it teased is kind of dead.

Actually speaking of that, I wonder if the Re:Coded scenes will touch on anything from that.

It's in the trailer very briefly (the shot of Mickey in the Dark Realm) so it may be safe to assume it's still in. But it could also be expanded on and refocused into something else.

I believe they've already hinted at adding some new scenes to Re:coded besides the ones for the main campaign. Could be their last chance to do what they wanted to do with "BBS Vol.2" before KHIII hits.

edit: And the age old solution for RNG - bitching on forums about it - holds true, because the actual White Mushroom -just- dropped.

Seriously, it never fails. Was doing the Chocobo Race for the Sun Sigil in FFXHD yesterday, and a few minutes and a post in the OT bitching about said race later, I got the 0.0.0 time I needed.

It's in the trailer very briefly (the shot of Mickey in the Dark Realm) so it may be safe to assume it's still in. But it could also be expanded on and refocused into something else.

I believe they've already hinted at adding some new scenes to Re:coded besides the ones for the main campaign. Could be their last chance to do what they wanted to do with "BBS Vol.2" before KHIII hits.

Yeah, I'm almost certain that those new scenes in Re:Coded that were touted to fill current storyline gaps are going to more or less cover those unseen points that the BBSv2 trailer teased at: Mickey in the Dark Realm, Riku's miscealleanous activities between CoM and KH2, whatever DiZ was doing in the aforementioned timeframe (
probably hiding that research data for Riku to eventually find in KH3D
), etc.

Yeah, I'm almost certain that those new scenes in Re:Coded that were touted to fill current storyline gaps are going to more or less cover those unseen points that the BBSv2 trailer teased at: Mickey in the Dark Realm, Riku's miscealleanous activities between CoM and KH2, whatever DiZ was doing in the aforementioned timeframe (
), etc.

The DiZ/Riku stuff I could see for sure, but I can't see how Mickey in the Dark Realm could be gracefully or sensibly added to Re:Coded without seeming almost wholly unrelated. Likewise for Aqua's time in the Dark Realm.

I dunno, either! But it's pretty much one of the only unseen important bits of plot (And one of the only ones ever explicitly mentioned by Nomura) I can think of for the new scenes to touch on. That, and Re:Coded already sorta did the whole thing with adding new, seemingly unrelated scenes showing some events in KH1 from Riku's perspective, without any context. Off the top of my head, there's a scene of him encountering robed Ansem when Destiny Islands is prety much being torn apart, and another one with him and a catatonic Kairi in Neverland.

Psxphile

I dunno, either! But it's pretty much one of the only unseen important bits of plot (And one of the only ones ever explicitly mentioned by Nomura) I can think of for the new scenes to touch on. That, and Re:Coded already sorta did the whole thing with adding new, seemingly unrelated scenes showing some events in KH1 from Riku's perspective, without any context. Off the top of my head, there's a scene of him encountering robed Ansem when Destiny Islands is prety much being torn apart, and another one with him and a catatonic Kairi in Neverland.

Right. The Journal sees all (for some reason). Probably another instance of "everyone is connected to Sora".

Announce a remaster for a single last gen console 15 months before release.

Announce a multiplat remaster for current gen consoles 2 months before release that happens to be before the former last gen port.

only half joking

Caladrius

), etc.

This makes me... slightly excited for the coded cutscenes.

The DiZ/Riku stuff I could see for sure, but I can't see how Mickey in the Dark Realm could be gracefully or sensibly added to Re:Coded without seeming almost wholly unrelated. Likewise for Aqua's time in the Dark Realm.

There isn't really much of a way to do so other than making it things discovered in the journal's datascape.

The deeper Sora goes into the data worlds, the more distant and alien the memories get.

Hire me Nomura.

They could do something like Sora finding data about Mickey in the dark realm in a world? lol

That's actually pretty close to how I see it playing out.

Though Mickey's stuff could easily be done in flashback.

Falk

that puzzling face
YES INDEED, the many faces of Falk!

That's my all-business, working face. As in, the face when I'm not bitching about CoM trophies. :mad:

Speaking of which

augQqyGl.jpg

edit: Oh wow, only a short stretch left to lv99 Sora, and then the two Proud playthroughs which actually is going to be moderately fun. And then that's 1.5 plat.

iosefe

YES INDEED, the many faces of Falk!

That's my all-business, working face. As in, the face when I'm not bitching about CoM trophies. :mad:

Speaking of which

augQqyGl.jpg

edit: Oh wow, only a short stretch left to lv99 Sora, and then the two Proud playthroughs which actually is going to be moderately fun. And then that's 1.5 plat.
you're a mad man

Falk

that puzzling face
(notwitstanding that YRP do show up later on in the franchise as their own thing)

"Hey guys I've finished the starting area based on Tetsuya Nomura's concept of many Final Fantasy cameos! So here's Destiny Island with the FFX's Tidus, Wakka and Rikku"

"Uh, one of the main characters is Riku, don't you think that will be confusing?"

"... Oh. Well let's just replace her with another genki girl no one will notice"

(notwitstanding that YRP do show up later on in the franchise as their own thing)

"Hey guys I've finished the starting area based on Tetsuya Nomura's concept of many Final Fantasy cameos! So here's Destiny Island with the FFX's Tidus, Wakka and Rikku"

"Uh, one of the main characters is Riku, don't you think that will be confusing?"

"... Oh. Well let's just replace her with another genki girl no one will notice"

You're actually half right about that! Rikku was supposed to be in KH1 but they took her out because of the whole name thing. It was Yuffie that took her place though, not Selphie.

Falk

that puzzling face
Eh, just struck me that Tidus/Wakka/Rikku often get grouped together since they're the FFX party members that can swim.

Poor Rikku :(

Top Bottom