• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Weiss

Banned
I know people harp on Olympus Coliseum showing up in nigh every game, but dangit Hades is too rad.

Also Braig is the best villain in the series and KH3 should end with him punking Xehanort and assuming his rightful place as final boss.

Golnei

Also Braig is the best villain in the series and KH3 should end with him punking Xehanort and assuming his rightful place as final boss.

It should end with a fistfight between Braig-fully-converted-into-Xehanort and Sora, going through stages reminiscent of the final areas of previous games while Braig slowly recovers his true self. In the final phase, he and Sora wearily trade punches as a somber acoustic version of "It's A Small World" plays, and on his deathbed Braig finally dies as himself, his last words an obnoxious catchphrase taken at random from his earlier dialogue.

Then, in Kingdom Hearts IV, he'll replace Jiminy Cricket.

It should end with a fistfight between Braig-fully-converted-into-Xehanort and Sora, going through stages reminiscent of the final areas of previous games while Braig slowly recovers his true self. In the final phase, he and Sora wearily trade punches as a somber acoustic version of "It's A Small World" plays, and on his deathbed Braig finally dies as himself, his last words an obnoxious catchphrase taken at random from his earlier dialogue.

Then, in Kingdom Hearts IV, he'll replace Jiminy Cricket.

Ahahaha

Might as well, he's practically the Ocelot of the series anyway

Weiss

Banned
So how does Deep Space work in the KH verse anyway? They're flying through the void between worlds, but it seems like everything's taking place in its own little universe of sci-fi and aliens instead of inside the same universe as the rest of the worlds.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'd assume it's in the same bubble of reality as the actual planet the Lilo and Stitch movie is on (Hi another Earth), and that the aliens can't actually cross into other worlds flying through space. You just visit a small section of that contained world, just like all the other Disney worlds. Abstracted for gameplay purposes.

D4Zidgm.png

nomura is such an aqua stan :")

Played a bit of KH3D's final boss rush and holy shit I don't know how this slipped my mind but this game runs like ass. Like, I recall there being a lot of frame drops and such when there's a ton of effects on screen (Which is literally 90% of the time at this point), but I completely forgot that it gets so bad that there's input lag in some cases. The Young Xehanort boss fight is probably the worst offender that I experienced tonight. (And I can recall a notably horrific one at the game's halfway point with Sora as well.)

Man, I hope 2.8 fixes that, because there's some neat boss encounters that completely get fucked over by the frame rate tanking.

Falk

that puzzling face
What if the 2 screen solution is to make use of Playstation 3D screen tech, and left eye = main HUD, right eye = map/etc and you close either eye depending on what you want to see

I wonder if the game would be PSVR compatible? I mean they already coded the 3D so mine as well put it towards something then just plain ditch the 3D because it looks like it won't even be an option for the people that have it.

I wonder if the game would be PSVR compatible? I mean they already coded the 3D so mine as well put it towards something then just plain ditch the 3D because it looks like it won't even be an option for the people that have it.
AR Dream Eater petting replaced with VR.

Has science gone too far?

I probably gush about KH1 too much but it still has the best monster designs IMO. I did like the nobodies in 2 doe.

Unversed are kind of boring version of heartless I give you that. I do like a few of the designs, Flood and all the Princess world bosses from the top of my head.

Dream Eaters I dislike the most ''for some reason'' but I gotta admit outside of some lil too over the top colors they have ok designs for what they are.

edit: btw correct me if I have shit memory but are we really like 7+ games deep in an RPG series and still have no real spider enemies? How is that possible? I guess we have the Barrel Spiders but they have 4 legs so they don't count! KH3 needs some cute spider heartless :3

botty

Banned
Honestly, this is the only interesting Unversed:

Tank_Toppler_KHBBS.png

And conceptually it's really...silly. Aside from the boss heartless, it was kind of underwhelming to see the lack of world influenced enemies roaming road -- granted it makes sense since they're supposed to be spawning from Van.

Weiss

Banned
I probably gush about KH1 too much but it still has the best monster designs IMO. I did like the nobodies in 2 doe.

Unversed are kind of boring version of heartless I give you that. I do like a few of the designs, Flood and all the Princess world bosses from the top of my head.

Dream Eaters I dislike the most ''for some reason'' but I gotta admit outside of some lil too over the top colors they have ok designs for what they are.

edit: btw correct me if I have shit memory but are we really like 7+ games deep in an RPG series and still have no real spider enemies? How is that possible? I guess we have the Barrel Spiders but they have 4 legs so they don't count! KH3 needs some cute spider heartless :3

Nah, I'm with you. I'm generally pretty okay with the other KH games, but the original is on a whole new level. It's seriously one of the best games I've ever played.

Apart from being a cool concept for monsters, the Heartless have awesome designs that gradually go from cute shadow things to really cool monsters like the Wyverns and the Invisibles.

Nobodies were pretty cool, and the way they were animated was genuinely pretty awesome, but they took away from the threat of the Heartless, the Unversed were all just Not!Heartless, and the Dream Eaters were all too wacky and cutesy looking.

zeemumu

I know people harp on Olympus Coliseum showing up in nigh every game, but dangit Hades is too rad.

I'm glad that they actually got James Woods to voice act for it. Wouldn't be nearly as entertaining otherwise.

I shed a tear when James Woods sounded so old in the Re:Coded scenes :(.

I hope he returns for KH3. One last time. He was by far the best Disney villain in KH2.

Weiss

Banned
I'm glad that they actually got James Woods to voice act for it. Wouldn't be nearly as entertaining otherwise.

Yup.

More than any of them I love KH1's Coliseum since it felt like the purest essence of the FF/Disney crossover. You had fights against all the FF characters in the game and several characters from Hercules, plus it was cool to have a purely combat oriented world. None of the iterations from the following games have been as good, even though KH2 had the awesomeness of Auron as a party member.

EDIT: The last battle of Terra's campaign when
Xehanort walks away after stealing Terra's body and starts gloating, only for the armor to get back up, and Rage Awakened kicks in
is one of my favourite moments in the series.

People rip a lot on the original elements of the series overpowering the Disney stuff (and they're right), but a lot of them are really cool, though I'd say only the KH1 original worlds only ever really meshed well with the Disney style, while stuff like The World That Never Was and the Keyblade Graveyard are cool and interesting, but feel really out of place.

EDIT: The last battle of Terra's campaign when
Xehanort walks away after stealing Terra's body and starts gloating, only for the armor to get back up, and Rage Awakened kicks in
is one of my favourite moments in the series.

I was just thinking about this moment the other day, and it really is a Top 5 (Hell, maybe even Top 3) moment for the series. The way Rage Awakened kicks in, the way that it mirrors the KHIIFM cutscene, the fact that you're technically playing as one of the most infamous bonus bosses in the series, etc. It's enough to make people forget how obvious the plot twist beforehand was.

Ugh, I feel like there's something wrong with my Reflect and/or game. I'm having problems with some of the Absent Silhouettes... in particular Lexaeus. I know he's one of the easier ones, but I'm having issues Reflecting his 3 combo stone attack. I can never get the second one up fast enough even with spamming Reflect. I watched some videos, and other people's Reflect can be basically spammed really quickly back to back, but mine won't let me and it's very frustrating. The upgrades to reflect just make the radius wider, I think. I still only have the base one, though. Any idea what's wrong?

I was just thinking about this moment the other day, and it really is a Top 5 (Hell, maybe even Top 3) moment for the series. The way Rage Awakened kicks in, the way that it mirrors the KHIIFM cutscene, the fact that you're technically playing as one of the most infamous bonus bosses in the series, etc. It's enough to make people forget how obvious the plot twist beforehand was.

It's ok... Kingdom Hearts fans are used to forgetting parts of the games' plots :]

Boogins

Ugh, I feel like there's something wrong with my Reflect and/or game. I'm having problems with some of the Absent Silhouettes... in particular Lexaeus. I know he's one of the easier ones, but I'm having issues Reflecting his 3 combo stone attack. I can never get the second one up fast enough even with spamming Reflect. I watched some videos, and other people's Reflect can be basically spammed really quickly back to back, but mine won't let me and it's very frustrating. The upgrades to reflect just make the radius wider, I think. I still only have the base one, though. Any idea what's wrong?

This doesn't really answer your question but if reflecting isn't working for you, you could always dodge roll out of the first two stones then dash the third.

This doesn't really answer your question but if reflecting isn't working for you, you could always dodge roll out of the first two stones then dash the third.

Yeah that's what I've been doing for the first phase until he gets to 30k power, then it's harder for me to dodge those for some reason. I know I just need to "git good", but it's still annoying why the Reflect isn't working like what I saw in some videos. Wonder if it's just a timing thing and I'm just spamming my button for reflect so it isn't working right.

Thanks though. :)

Tsunamo

Played a bit of KH3D's final boss rush and holy shit I don't know how this slipped my mind but this game runs like ass. Like, I recall there being a lot of frame drops and such when there's a ton of effects on screen (Which is literally 90% of the time at this point), but I completely forgot that it gets so bad that there's input lag in some cases. The Young Xehanort boss fight is probably the worst offender that I experienced tonight. (And I can recall a notably horrific one at the game's halfway point with Sora as well.)

Man, I hope 2.8 fixes that, because there's some neat boss encounters that completely get fucked over by the frame rate tanking.
Yeah i'm really looking forward to doing that Xemnas fight again with no (well we can only hope) framedrops. It was more tame than the KH2 one, but I absolutely loved it.
how about kh unchained vr? or just kh unchained?

most of the dream eaters looked lame, i hope they don't come back
Funny you mention that. You'll never guess where they're bought up again.
Chi/Unchained
pls

Birth By Sleep is 0

Unchained is -13
icwutudidthar
Yeah, they pretty much tweaked it to work the way it does in KH1 HD. I imagine they'll probably do the same with Dream Drop Distance HD, too.

It definitely saves on level grinding, though. I just beat Mysterious Figure with Aqua at level 31 with it turned on. That's damn near impossible on Critical otherwise.
Oh that's awesome. One day i'll get to doing a level 1 run on BBS. Yeah I was in my 40's with Aqua with MF on Critical and it was so time consuming and tricky in 2.5, even at that level. I did it after a couple of attempts, but I think that was because used to the pre-nerfed MF. I ended up cartwheeling with Aqua so much I leveled up in the middle of the battle lol.
This and the second they did a throwback to the SoD KH1 darkness line was when I lost it. The whole moment was just amazingly perfect.

Yeah i'm really looking forward to doing that Xemnas fight again with no (well we can only hope) framedrops. It was more tame than the KH2 one, but I absolutely loved it.
Funny you mention that. You'll never guess where they're bought up again.
Chi/Unchained
icwutudidthar Oh that's awesome. One day i'll get to doing a level 1 run on BBS. Yeah I was in my 40's with Aqua with MF on Critical and it was so time consuming and tricky in 2.5, even at that level. I did it after a couple of attempts, but I think that was because used to the pre-nerfed MF. I ended up cartwheeling with Aqua so much I leveled up in the middle of the battle lol. This and the second they did a throwback to the SoD KH1 darkness line was when I lost it. The whole moment was just amazingly perfect.
oh... haha... i guess i would know that IF THEY BROUGHT THE FUCKING GAME OVER

I HATE SQUARE ENIX

Yay, I beat the Absent Silhouette of Lexaeus and Larxene. :) For some reason, my Reflect problem wasn't happening today when I tried it, oh well. I did change keyblades, but I don't know if that could have affected it somehow. :S Lexaeus was pretty easy and fun. Larxene was a bit more challenging and took quite a few attempts to learn the pattern. I wish this game had been on PS4 because I had a really amazing kill on her and I would have liked to upload it. :(

botty

Banned
Yay, I beat the Absent Silhouette of Lexaeus and Larxene. :) For some reason, my Reflect problem wasn't happening today when I tried it, oh well. I did change keyblades, but I don't know if that could have affected it somehow. :S Lexaeus was pretty easy and fun. Larxene was a bit more challenging and took quite a few attempts to learn the pattern. I wish this game had been on PS4 because I had a really amazing kill on her and I would have liked to upload it. :(

Nope... instead we have the least flashiest kingdom hearts games on PS4 to stream/record.

Nope... instead we have the least flashiest kingdom hearts games on PS4 to stream/record.

Yay...

Although to be fair, DDD is fairly flashy (flowmotion! lol), but there's really not many fights that would be entertaining for me to watch or upload. I didn't care for the extra boss in that game personally. :( On the subject of extra bosses, I hope KH3 has a ton of them like KH2FM. Kind of doubtful, but it'd be cool.

Golnei

On the subject of extra bosses, I hope KH3 has a ton of them like KH2FM. Kind of doubtful, but it'd be cool.

I'm not sure if the games' licensing agreements would prevent it, (considering the series' relationship with digital distribution) but I could see bonus bosses being a fairly believable route for DLC to take.

botty

Banned
Yay...

Although to be fair, DDD is fairly flashy (flowmotion! lol), but there's really not many fights that would be entertaining for me to watch or upload. I didn't care for the extra boss in that game personally. :( On the subject of extra bosses, I hope KH3 has a ton of them like KH2FM. Kind of doubtful, but it'd be cool.

Everything in Dream Drop Distance is significantly less flashy than the other games, from what I have observed. Faith or, as card enthusiast like to call it, holy is a good example of how non-flashy Dream Drop Distance interprets abilities.

360px-Holy_KHRECOM.gif

360px-Faith_KHBBS.gif

360px-Faith_KHREC.gif

Faith_KH3D.gif

I guess it's to go with the fast-paced feel of Dream Drop Distance.

Weiss

Banned
Honestly, I thought DDD had the best gameplay and level design in the series. It's slick and fast paced, but not as button mashy as KH2, and Flowmotion allowed for more involved, vertical level designs instead of just boxy corridors.

Falk

that puzzling face
Flowmotion is a neat concept on paper, but it really needs to be toned down and/or give less invincibility frames, etc. so you aren't encouraged to spam ONLY that and nothing else.

edit: Actually what am I saying this is a franchise where you spam dodge roll ad infinitum

I enjoyed Flowmotion despite it being too easy to spam. It was just fun to use and that's why I liked it, lol. I'm not one of those people who hated Dream Drop Distance - I liked a lot about the game, but my biggest annoyance was just the dream eater bullshit. I didn't like collecting them or how the abilities were tied to them. I'd rather just have Donald/Goofy or no one at all (like BBS being solo was fine). I'm replaying Kingdom Hearts II FM right now and I had forgotten how small the worlds feel and empty they are. I know the worlds in DDD were still fairly empty, but I had much more fun exploring them than I am in KH2. It's a shame more of KH2 (and the series in general) wasn't like the Cavern of Remembrance. Oh, despite my enjoyment of flowmotion, it did break all the traversal progression, though. Getting high jump was pointless in that game.

Weiss

Banned
I enjoyed Flowmotion despite it being too easy to spam. It was just fun to use and that's why I liked it, lol. I'm not one of those people who hated Dream Drop Distance - I liked a lot about the game, but my biggest annoyance was just the dream eater bullshit. I didn't like collecting them or how the abilities were tied to them. I'd rather just have Donald/Goofy or no one at all (like BBS being solo was fine). I'm replaying Kingdom Hearts II FM right now and I had forgotten how small the worlds feel and empty they are. I know the worlds in DDD were still fairly empty, but I had much more fun exploring them than I am in KH2. It's a shame more of KH2 (and the series in general) wasn't like the Cavern of Remembrance. Oh, despite my enjoyment of flowmotion, it did break all the traversal progression, though. Getting high jump was pointless in that game.

Same. Including the Dream Eaters as party members was a bad idea, and they should have just followed the BBS model of a solo character with occasional guest characters, if not world specific party members. It was especially frustrating trying to acquire new skills after how simple and fluid BBS' command melding was.

Same. Including the Dream Eaters as party members was a bad idea, and they should have just followed the BBS model of a solo character with occasional guest characters, if not world specific party members. It was especially frustrating trying to acquire new skills after how simple and fluid BBS' command melding was.

Yep yep, same here. If Donald/Goofy couldn't have been in the game as party members, they should have just done solo characters with occasional guests. Everything about the dream eaters was frustrating to me. That's the main reason why I have never replayed DDD which is a shame because I enjoyed a lot about the game. :( I do plan on replaying it on the PS4, though. BBS' command melding was amazing and so f'n addicting. I absolutely loved it.

Weiss

Banned
What was wrong with the dream eater party members?

Most of them were overdesigned messes of color.

They made acquiring new abilities a huge chore.

They replaced Disney characters as your permanent party members.

The last one is the biggest sticking point for me, anyway. I would rather team up with Quasimodo, Quorra, Neku, and Sorcerer's Apprentice Mickey than a penguin made of clouds.

botty

Banned
Most of them were overdesigned messes of color.

They made acquiring new abilities a huge chore.

They replaced Disney characters as your permanent party members.

The last one is the biggest sticking point for me, anyway. I would rather team up with Quasimodo, Quorra, Neku, and Sorcerer's Apprentice Mickey than a penguin made of clouds.

Your second point is more of an issue with the developers choosing to make ability growth/learning that way. And your as far as your last point goes... I agree, but I think it was more of a compromise since we haven't had party members in any of the non-numbered games outside of a few instances in BBS and Days. This was the first time we had party members we could stick with throughout the entire (spin-off/side) game.

Only a few weeks until the KH event! I hope in the surely happening interviews Nomura will be hit with hard questions such as:

1) How is the development going?
2) How awesome is UE4 (not compared to Luminous obvs!)?
3) How do you decide the worlds you choose to implement?
4) Frozen world was just announced. What are the reasons for you choosing this particular world based on the biggest Disney moneymaker in years?
5) Who in the world could these two characters playing chess be?

Andrefpvs

1.5 + 2.5 will still come to PS4 if you believe!

N65lFK0.png

Only a few weeks until the KH event! I hope in the surely happening interviews Nomura will be hit with hard questions such as:

1) How is the development going?
2) How awesome is UE4 (not compared to Luminous obvs!)?
3) How do you decide the worlds you choose to implement?
4) Frozen world was just announced. What are the reasons for you choosing this particular world based on the biggest Disney moneymaker in years?
5) Who in the world could these two characters playing chess be?

Can't forget the One Question No One Ever Asked:

6) Does Disney ever tell you what you can or can't do?

Top Bottom