• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
I'm guessing if 1.5 does well enough then we'll logically see a 2.5.
I hope that means BBS will be present in the second collection. Don't have a PSP, no real plans to get a Vita

Mit-

Wow are you a huge moron. I know Nomura isn't a good writer, but calling him a lunatic considering all he has done for fans & to Square Enix is shitty beyond belief.

Basically, there are two important games after II. Hardly some huge worthless use of time. Days is a sidestory for people who wanted to see what Roxas did during his time in the Organization, outsourced to a small developer while their own team worked on the bigger game, so it's not like it has had any effect on III happening.

They went overboard in wanting to explain the history/origin of the big evil of the series, showing more of a character that a lot of people liked (Roxas) and having one game that builds up to III?

We've had two games that ARE like Chain of Memories (BBS even more important) and one kind of side-story-ish installment. The essential saga so far is

BBS -> KHI -> Chain of Memories -> II -> DDD

That's five games to tell a story that spans more than a decade. The thing is, each game so far has contained a sufficiently self-contained, non-bloated story that also ties to a bigger whole, except Coded, which is pointless. And Days has way too much ice cream eating. But yeah the essential games are pretty direct and to the point with not too much fluff (there's the Disney stuff, but that's something people expect from the series at this point).

The only thing they've handled badly is the fact that they've been released on so many different platforms. But that's not completely in their hands (old platforms have died & new ones replaced them) and they are fixing that now with these HD Collections.

What in hell does this have to do with editing or condensing? How is this any different than, say, Star Wars having the original saga, the prequel saga and countless other ones in the forms of games, books & such. It's just one universe for which he has a lot more ideas for. Even with better editing he'd still continue Kingdom Hearts after III. And there's not much to condense

But there ISN'T "so much crazy story to what's going on between II & III." The only game taking place between II & III is DDD and that tells of how Sora & Co are preparing for the final battle, with a relatively short game for the franchise. BBS tells about the past and is absolutely essential to the whole saga. Days isn't essential to it all and it doesn't really add anything to the crazy that is the bigger picture of the KH saga. It just explains Roxas' time in the organization.

u r mad

You're overcomplicating his opinion. Like on that last point about DDD being the only game between II and III. He's talking about between the physical release dates of KHII and III.

He just wished they made maybe one game after KHII tops, and then made KHIII. You're talking of the importance of story in all the post-KHII games--but what if those games didn't exist? What if they just came up with a concept for KHIII that didn't need that much story preparation? That's what he's getting at.

And it wouldn't have been impossible. Nomura doesn't write Kingdom Hearts games with the entire future of the series in mind. He writes a game, and during that time, maybe, considers setting up the story for the next game. This is why things get retconned.

Anyways, I think the reason for all these portable games is the "main" KH team being tied up with FFversusXIII, although it seems the developers of Days/BbS/DDD have now become the "main" KH team and are finally going to just make a console game.

It's whatever, I'm just wondering if they're going to skip PS3/360 altogether.

But then what about the HD Remixes? You play 1.5 and 2.5 to prep for III, only to have to buy a new console to play III? And say you get PS4 and are interested in catching up on the series, only to realize you can't play 1.5/2.5 without a PS3.

This KH-console-renaissance picked a bad time to start.

Trigger

I hope that means BBS will be present in the second collection. Don't have a PSP, no real plans to get a Vita

I'd like to think it would be in a second collection. I traded away my copy of BBS a long time ago.

The Lamp

u r mad

You're overcomplicating his opinion. Like on that last point about DDD being the only game between II and III. He's talking about between the physical release dates of KHII and III.

He just wished they made maybe one game after KHII tops, and then made KHIII. You're talking of the importance of story in all the post-KHII games--but what if those games didn't exist? What if they just came up with a concept for KHIII that didn't need that much story preparation? That's what he's getting at.

And it wouldn't have been impossible. Nomura doesn't write Kingdom Hearts games with the entire future of the series in mind. He writes a game, and during that time, maybe, considers setting up the story for the next game. This is why things get retconned.

Anyways, I think the reason for all these portable games is the "main" KH team being tied up with FFversusXIII, although it seems the developers of Days/BbS/DDD have now become the "main" KH team and are finally going to just make a console game.

It's whatever, I'm just wondering if they're going to skip PS3/360 altogether.

But then what about the HD Remixes? You play 1.5 and 2.5 to prep for III, only to have to buy a new console to play III? And say you get PS4 and are interested in catching up on the series, only to realize you can't play 1.5/2.5 without a PS3.

This KH-console-renaissance picked a bad time to start.

Basically this. Yeah, that's what I meant.

Wow are you a huge moron. I know Nomura isn't a good writer, but calling him a lunatic considering all he has done for fans & to Square Enix is shitty beyond belief.

Man you are angry.

Having visited a Kingdom Hearts forum for about 6 years of my life, and pining over the slowly dripping Nomura interviews about what things could possibly mean (back when there were so many questions after KH2), I finally realized something that gave me closure about this whole 8-game saga (+ infinitely many more other sagas) plot:

He makes it up as he goes along.

It's crazy. lol.

He's about as crazy as Kojima. Although I love them both.

What in hell does this have to do with editing or condensing?

If his intricate ideas had been condensed and trimmed, we might have ended up with less games, is all I mean.

I'm sure he has ideas going all the way back to how Sora's parents got together, lol. But at some point, enough is enough.

Days is utter crap. BBS is the MGS3 of the KH series - a tragic prequel that explains a lot of the weirdness that had been left out there while also telling its own self-contained story and having the best gameplay in the series.

And seriously, man, KH2's story is so, so bad too. The Organization members, apart from Xemnas and Axel, are just a bunch of mooks instead of individual characters with their own motivations (as they are in Chain of Memories).

;_____________________:

also

Banned
You know I was considering to get a 3DS for DDD alone but after reading some spoilers here and there, I'm glad I didn't
Seriously!? Time fucking travel? Out of all the things you could pull out of your ass Nomura, you choose the most contrive and needlessly convoluted excuse just so to make your pet Sora a bigger badass when he inevitably beat all 13 version of Xehanorts.

People may have a problem with BBS' story but I felt that it was a step in the right direction in a sense that it was trying to make some sense out of the previous game while adding in more. I don't know what to call the mess that's DDD.

And does anyone else laugh at the notion that Xehanort is trying to create a Keyblade War with only like 20 keyblades user? Compare to the scale we saw at the Keyblade Graveyard, I was expecting something more
I felt DDD dimished Sora's importance.
Sure, they say he has the power to recreate hearts or whatever but he is not even named a keyblade master and in KH3 there will be 7 warriors of light, so there will probably be less focus on him.
The 13 darknesses and 7 lights are only needed to forge the χ-blade. I think Xenahort expects other keyblade wielders to show up, at least he did in BBS.
"This χ-blade will open a door — one that leads to all worlds. Then, Keyblade bearing warriors will flock here from each and every one of them, to battle for the light within Kingdom Hearts! And just like the legend says, the Keyblade War will begin!"
—Ventus-Vanitas

I think flowmotion made basic traversal so much more fun. It has that kind of "WEEEEEEE, I'M FLYING!" fun factor to it. It did make the old moves like Glide pointless. The thing with this franchise is, though, that they like to improve on things that have potential. Flowmotion is a cool mechanic that isn't balanced as well as it should've, but that's no reason to abandon it completely. They can make adjustments to the way flowmotion works and perhaps make changes to level designs so that stuff like Glide & High Jump still have their uses (i.e., if there are no walls or poles, there's no flowmotion).
I mentioned the idea before of linking Flowmotion to Command Styles so it can only be done during or immediately following combat. I still like that idea.

Mit-

I mentioned the idea before of linking Flowmotion to Command Styles so it can only be done during or immediately following combat. I still like that idea.

I think it should just be split into new action commands/abilities. Wall jump, pole swing, air dash upgrades for consecutive dashes/further distances, wall dash.

And make stuff like wall jump a normal jump height.

To move faster overall when traveling, just do what all games are doing these days and make a sprint functionality.

Linking it to a command style would still have people figuring out how to activate the command style to get access to treasure chests and things far before they should.

Wow there's a lot of hate regarding DDD here. I personally liked the game just as much as I liked BBS. I was annoyed at the flowmotion and its lack of balance but I had the same complaint for the shotlock in BBS. What I DO like is how both games finally brought some difficulty back into the series, especially with the final boss gauntlet each one has. Also, symphony of sorcery is one of the most beautiful worlds in the entire franchise.

Marlowe89

No, I'm suggesting that the majority of this convoluted, complicated backstory/sidestory mess that they made after KH2 was not needed and just a way to add more complication and bide time to KH3.

This. I still submit that Sora and Xehanort, the franchise's most pivotal characters, are the biggest indications and worst offenders of this.

When you play with building blocks, there's only so much you can stack before it all comes crumbling down.

TheMink

Wow there's a lot of hate regarding DDD here. I personally liked the game just as much as I liked BBS. I was annoyed at the flowmotion and its lack of balance but I had the same complaint for the shotlock in BBS. What I DO like is how both games finally brought some difficulty back into the series, especially with the final boss gauntlet each one has. Also, symphony of sorcery is one of the most beautiful worlds in the entire franchise.

I dont think there is hate regarding the game itself. Just the story, which i personally liked.

I think it should just be split into new action commands/abilities. Wall jump, pole swing, air dash upgrades for consecutive dashes/further distances, wall dash.

And make stuff like wall jump a normal jump height.

To move faster overall when traveling, just do what all games are doing these days and make a sprint functionality.

Linking it to a command style would still have people figuring out how to activate the command style to get access to treasure chests and things far before they should.
Honestly, the best thing to do would be to remove the ability to chain the wall jump and the dash to climb infinitely up walls. It's that precise combo that was game-breaking in DDD.

MAtgS

What I don't get about flowmotion is why am I wall-jumping instead of running up the wall? Between the iconic scene of Roxas running up the skyscrapper & the Dissidia games having wall-running, how did they forget about it when designing DDD?

What I don't get about flowmotion is why am I wall-jumping instead of running up the wall? Between the iconic scene of Roxas running up the skyscrapper & the Dissidia games having wall-running, how did they forget about it when designing DDD?

It was made in about a year.

They kind of haphazardly threw stuff together.

DDD is where I begun to appreciate the sheer absurdity. I highly doubt Nomura thinks he was writing prose for that one. This series is a vehicle for character moments, and the plot will take whatever convoluted path it has to to be able to deliver them.

DDD is where I begun to appreciate the sheer absurdity. I highly doubt Nomura thinks he was writing prose for that one. This series is a vehicle for character moments, and the plot will take whatever convoluted path it has to to be able to deliver them.

It does seem to be following a "hey this would be cool if we did this so let's do it" path.

That approach is hit and miss though.

MAtgS

My guess is 2.5 will be KH2FM, cutscenes of RE:Coded, & DDD

Then comes 0.5 with BBSFM & the long speculated BBSv2, which is a toss up on whether it's just cutscenes or a new game built around recycled worlds. The ".5" naming is a bit of a giveaway.

I personally love Kingdom Hearts for the story. I mean, where else will you find a game about hearts and an old guy who managed to fuck a shitload of people just because he didn't want to be old and die anymore?

If you don't like the story, then you just shouldn't bother with KH anymore. It's not about Disney characters anymore, it's about Kingdom Hearts characters now.

My guess is 2.5 will be KH2FM, cutscenes of RE:Coded, & DDD

Then comes 0.5 with BBSFM & the long speculated BBSv2, which is a toss up on whether it's just cutscenes or a new game built around recycled worlds. The ".5" naming is a bit of a giveaway.
Nope. DDD requires two screens and would therefore be way more complicated to port. And Re:Coded has only one important cutscene. We're gonna get KH2FM, BBSFM, and DDD's cutscenes.

The .5 naming isn't a giveaway because you presume that Nomura actually plans that far ahead. They're not going to make a whole new game for these collections; they're meant to catch people up.

Nope. DDD requires two screens and would therefore be way more complicated to port. And Re:Coded has only one important cutscene. We're gonna get KH2FM, BBSFM, and DDD's cutscenes.

The .5 naming isn't a giveaway because you presume that Nomura actually plans that far ahead. They're not going to make a whole new game for these collections; they're meant to catch people up.

I can totally see BBS, KH2FM, and BBS Vol. 2 as the new game in 2.5.

TheMink

I personally love Kingdom Hearts for the story. I mean, where else will you find a game about hearts and an old guy who managed to fuck a shitload of people just because he didn't want to be old and die anymore?

If you don't like the story, then you just shouldn't bother with KH anymore. It's not about Disney characters anymore, it's about Kingdom Hearts characters now.

Dude im with you 100% i love it so much.

Kisaya

I liked KH2. The story is pretty crazy but it at least made sense and fit, unlike 358/2 days (and Ven's story in BBS) :p

Square-Enix isn't gonna dedicate a bunch of staff to creating new content for these, guys. It's all repackaged pre-existing content. Hence, no single-screen playable DDD, and no BBS Vol. 2.

The bulk of the Osaka team is almost certainly working on KH3 right now. This collection is an improved port of KH1, a 1:1 (plus widescreen) port of Re:CoM, and improved versions of already-existing cutscenes. Don't expect vastly greater effort to be spent on 2.5 just because you wish it would happen.

And don't expect any of these to have *less* than two playable games, either. SCEA rules are in effect, and Squeenix wants these to be retail releases.

noobasuar

Banned
I think the first Kingdom Hearts is probably one of the best if not the best action RPGS.

2 was my most hyped game ever especially with how obsessed I was with the possibilities with the secret ending.

The game ended up being one of the first video games I've ever been disappointed in. I haven't played it since it was released but I remember the game having the most bland level design, a button mashy combat system that was way worse than the first game imo, the writing felt absolutely terrible compared to the first game. Like I remember every time that you encountered a character they would end up saying sora's, donald's, and goofy's name every single time you would talk to them (wtf was the point of that?) It just felt like such a huge step back and it didn't help that the story didn't live up to the secret ending in the first game.... :(

So for those of you that enjoy action RPGS what else is worth checking out that's in a similar vein to KH1? I'd love to play more games like that one...

Square-Enix isn't gonna dedicate a bunch of staff to creating new content for these, guys. It's all repackaged pre-existing content. Hence, no single-screen playable DDD, and no BBS Vol. 2.

The bulk of the Osaka team is almost certainly working on KH3 right now. This collection is an improved port of KH1, a 1:1 (plus widescreen) port of Re:CoM, and improved versions of already-existing cutscenes. Don't expect vastly greater effort to be spent on 2.5 just because you wish it would happen.
Is it really too much if we just want KH2FM and BBSFM?
What I liked about KH2 was how over the top it was.

Specifically the final boss sequences.

Cuh-razy.
I always thought the way Sora slashes the building in the beginning of the final boss fight was awesome. Of course, then came the laser sequence with Xemnas.

I thought KHII's final boss sequence was kinda terrible, actually. Way too much flash and not enough substance.

Is it really too much if we just want KH2FM and BBSFM

I'm pretty sure he was speaking in regards to people wanting BBSv2. If they don't (at their own admittance) have enough time to do a Days remake (something which they have a good portion of assets available for already), there's no way they're packing in an entirely new game into 2.5.

KH2FM, BBSFM, and DDD cutscenes are probably the likeliest things to show up in 2.5.

Is it really too much if we just want KH2FM and BBSFM
Nope, that's not too much. I'm pretty sure 2.5 will be KH2FM, BBSFM, and DDD's cutscenes, because that's what makes the most sense.
I know it's all but vaporware at this point but it's been stated that KH3 would not be made until after Versus since it's the same team.
Yeah it's been stated like five years ago.

It's likely that the Versus team would join up with the Osaka team once Versus is finished, though, yes.

So for those of you that enjoy action RPGS what else is worth checking out that's in a similar vein to KH1? I'd love to play more games like that one...

TWEWY is very different from the KH series, but I think it's one of the best action rpgs to come out this generation, and entirely original to boot.

Top Bottom