• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Trigger

So what is everyone's favorite battle music from the series?

I'm disappointed at the lack of 13th Struggle suggestions. One of my favorite tracks from the series.

Unversed Boss Version 2 is pretty damn cool too.

While I don't buy the Japanese versions (almost bit the bullet for FM+) I have bought almost every KH game with the exception of DDD, but that shouldn't last for long. I do plan on getting a PS3 just for the main motivation of KH 1.5. I also have a problem

I'm in the same boat actually, lol.

ZenaxPure

DDD has decent gameplay. BbS has amazing gameplay.

Slight gameplay rant ahead sooooooo

I felt pretty similar to you on my first playthrough of 3D but after dumping about 50 hours into my critical file I think 3D is pretty much on par with BBS. 3D pretty much ruined the magic system, just not as many fun abilities and the lack of magnet and mines is lame but they did so much with the melee formula and in general I feel like having spirits gives more options on how to play your dude (not to be confused with customizing your dude though, because stat matrix > melding >>>>>>>> spirit talent trees) that I can forgive how shit magic is.

The key things for me is how awesome the different block abilities are. Slide block for example adds another cool layer to melee since you really don't have to wait around on timing a parry anymore because you can just combo into it and knock the enemy into the air during their attack wind-up, not to mention you are usually high enough in the air after following up with rapid decent (as Riku anyway) that you can just go straight into an air dash attack which can lead to either flowmotion use or sliding crescent.

Also in a desperate attempt to actually have some fun with a magic build on Sora I just started using a set built around Link block that seems pretty fun. I just toss out stuff like poison/time bomb and then spam block like crazy to quickly build up the spirit link gauge. It actually works surprisingly well, can usually get a dual spirit link in on every single pack I encounter (assuming they're around my level).

I think the big thing for me is I went into 3D trying to play it like BBS but it didn't work. Enemies are more agressive in 3D so you can't always get in a 7+ hit melee combo but I feel like all the modifier attacks and various different block types make up for it, plus I can kill way more enemies in 1 combo on 3D than I ever could on BBS. Still though, really bummed out about magic, I just can't find any magic I really like besides Balloon which I enjoy more than -ra or -aga versions of it oddly enough since you have to actually think about where you are placing it.

Mit-

So you want the most anticipated game of the series to release on what would be a 9 year old console with 12 year old tech. Struggling to even run games now with it's crappy GPU and outdated CPU in Sub 720p with falling sub 30fps?

I don't know what they should do. I'm merely pointing out that they picked an awkward time to start putting KH on consoles again.

Slight gameplay rant ahead sooooooo

I felt pretty similar to you on my first playthrough of 3D but after dumping about 50 hours into my critical file I think 3D is pretty much on par with BBS. 3D pretty much ruined the magic system, just not as many fun abilities and the lack of magnet and mines is lame but they did so much with the melee formula and in general I feel like having spirits gives more options on how to play your dude (not to be confused with customizing your dude though, because stat matrix > melding >>>>>>>> spirit talent trees) that I can forgive how shit magic is.

The key things for me is how awesome the different block abilities are. Slide block for example adds another cool layer to melee since you really don't have to wait around on timing a parry anymore because you can just combo into it and knock the enemy into the air during their attack wind-up, not to mention you are usually high enough in the air after following up with rapid decent (as Riku anyway) that you can just go straight into an air dash attack which can lead to either flowmotion use or sliding crescent.

Also in a desperate attempt to actually have some fun with a magic build on Sora I just started using a set built around Link block that seems pretty fun. I just toss out stuff like poison/time bomb and then spam block like crazy to quickly build up the spirit link gauge. It actually works surprisingly well, can usually get a dual spirit link in on every single pack I encounter (assuming they're around my level).

I think the big thing for me is I went into 3D trying to play it like BBS but it didn't work. Enemies are more agressive in 3D so you can't always get in a 7+ hit melee combo but I feel like all the modifier attacks and various different block types make up for it, plus I can kill way more enemies in 1 combo on 3D than I ever could on BBS. Still though, really bummed out about magic, I just can't find any magic I really like besides Balloon which I enjoy more than -ra or -aga versions of it oddly enough since you have to actually think about where you are placing it.
I agree with most of this (though I'd prefer the game with no Dream Eaters whatsoever). DDD's action-abilities are less interesting and less good at differentiating the characters than those in BBS, but the different blocks, dashes, and rolls they can equip do a good job of having them play differently.

Esura

Banned
So what is everyone's favorite battle music from the series? For me, I'm partial to Pirate's Gigue from Neverland (Kingdom Hearts). I think it strikes the nice balance between...something something and I think it fits in very well with the theme of Neverland, fun and exciting. I think it does a really good job of pumping you up, especially for your battle on the deck!

After that, I'm kind of partial to the battle music to the Timeless River (Kingdom Hearts 2) because the Timeless River has sort of a silly and slapstick feel to it like the OLD Disney cartoons and I think the music really hits it out of the ballpark. It helps I love it so much because I level grinded quite a few of Sora's Drives here.

One battle theme I really really love is Monstrous Monstro from Kingdom Hearts. I just really enjoy how it sounds and it's really catchy (At least for me) so I had no issues level grinding my way here to level 100 (Which I did by the way and don't ask).

I will have to say the Vs Final Xemnas from KHII is my favorite (the part that plays during the last double team fight against Xemnas). I knew shit got real when I heard that. It made the final fight that much more epic with how omnious it sounds.

Trigger

Still though, really bummed out about magic, I just can't find any magic I really like besides Balloon which I enjoy more than -ra or -aga versions of it oddly enough since you have to actually think about where you are placing it.

Truth be told, outside of BBS magic has never really a great option in combat. It's often easier to just focus on melee attacks. I hope KH3 takes cues from BBS in that area. I like using spells.

Seda

Truth be told, outside of BBS magic has never really a great option in combat. It's often easier to just focus on melee attacks. I hope KH3 takes cues from BBS in that area. I like using spells.

My Aqua build was basically pure magic.

botty

Banned

Isn't Aqua meant to have an emphasis on magic? I think she is capable of learning the most spells, and I remember a lot of her abilities having magical additions. However, I don't know why her fire cartwheel makes her slower.

Seda

Oh I totally misread Trigger's post -_- I skipped the words "outside of" and was confused and then I didn't even finish his statement. That's what I get for only glancing.

On the note of magic though, If you don't pick up the staff in KH1 you are playing it wrong.

Esura

Banned
Oh I totally misread Trigger's post -_- I skipped the words "outside of" and was confused and then I didn't even finish his statement. That's what I get for only glancing.

On the note of magic though, If you don't pick up the staff in KH1 you are playing it wrong.

I never did. I always picked up the sword and sometimes the shield.

ZenaxPure

I agree with most of this (though I'd prefer the game with no Dream Eaters whatsoever). DDD's action-abilities are less interesting and less good at differentiating the characters than those in BBS, but the different blocks, dashes, and rolls they can equip do a good job of having them play differently.

I don't really LIKE the spirits per se, but, I enjoy that they force you into picking and choosing what passive abilities you want. I didn't actually like the limitless approach BBS took to giving you every single passive, and not even because it made you feel strong, my problem with it was that I enjoy actually building my character myself - not all my abilities being picked for me. Personally I think a good system would be to take the old AP mechanics from KH1/2 and apply it to the current passive ability system.

As was mine, but it was literally game breaking, which is why I suspect both mines and magnet was removed from 3D. Mine shield -> magnega -> mine shield literally could kill every normal enemy in the game without fail and was good enough to take on bosses as well. I had absolutely no trouble whatsoever finishing the battle arena stuff with Aqua on critical, it was just a complete pushover. It was a fun load out to use, just extremely broken.

In general for magic though I think the spells need to work together better like melee abilities do. For magic the only real synergy options in BBS was magnet use and in 3D gravity. They really should do stuff like blizzard attacks being able to freeze enemies and fire damage doing extra damage during that time, and so on. There are so many obvious things they could be doing to make magic more interesting it baffles me as to how it somehow got worse.

botty

Banned
Magnet is an utterly broken spell. They should recode it to allow immobilized enemies to continue attacking.

Magnet is one of the few spells that actually allow you to chain together some spells. It was also kind of balanced with BbS's cool down system.

also

Banned
Aqua was more of a mage like character anyways. I like how they made Magic boss in BBS then made it ass in DDD....so lame. Spamming magic is the best.

What? If anything, magic is overpowered in DDD. Balloonga, Triple Firaga, Dark Firaga and the like make every boss cry.

ZenaxPure

What? If anything, magic is overpowered in DDD. Balloonga, Triple Firaga, Dark Firaga and the like make every boss cry.

Triple Firaga isn't actually in 3D, but, you are still correct, it is all very overpowered to use in the game, it's just all really boring. Balloon is the absolute worst too, even the default version interrupts boss attacks as long as one balloon hits.

Esura

Banned

It took me a long time to get one of those Dream Eaters to learn those three moves. I used physical skills 80% of the time and really only made use of those spells during the final sections.

It's a shame the US release of Kingdom Hearts 2 lacked any hard super bosses. Sephiroth was a piece of cake, especially with Limit Break.

Seda

Hardest boss in vanilla KH2 is Xaldin. I remember the first time I played Mickey had to save me 3 times :/.

On subsequent playthroughs I can handle him much better now that I'm familiar with the fight.

Sora_N

Hardest boss in vanilla KH2 is Xaldin. I remember the first time I played Mickey had to save me 3 times :/.

On subsequent playthroughs I can handle him much better now that I'm familiar with the fight.

I think that's when I stopped at KH2 haha.

Trigger

Demyx was a close runner up.

DANCE WATER DANCE

Seda

Demyx was a close runner up.

DANCE WATER DANCE

I hear that a lot but I never had an issue with that timer. Maybe I'm just lucky. All I do is basically mash Reaction command and try to position where I hit the most water guys.

Trigger

I hear that a lot but I never had an issue with that timer. Maybe I'm just lucky. All I do is basically mash Reaction command and try to position where I hit the most water guys.

Timing was mostly my issue. On the bright side Demyx is one of my favorite Org members and there are worse fates than having to listen to the 13th Struggle over and over again.

I'll give you that one, that was a real pain in the neck. I hated that fight so much...and then my little brother beat it first try. I felt like strangling him...=/

also

Banned
It took me a long time to get one of those Dream Eaters to learn those three moves. I used physical skills 80% of the time and really only made use of those spells during the final sections.
You should have scanned the AR cards.

Triple Firaga isn't actually in 3D, but, you are still correct, it is all very overpowered to use in the game, it's just all really boring. Balloon is the absolute worst too, even the default version interrupts boss attacks as long as one balloon hits.

My bad, I was thinking about Triple Plasma.

Top Bottom