• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Trigger

So for those of you that enjoy action RPGS what else is worth checking out that's in a similar vein to KH1? I'd love to play more games like that one...

BBS would be my reccomendation, but truth be told none of the games really come close to the original. I miss the platforming elements.

A while, but its definitely the truth. FF versus (which will be called XV im almost sure of it) will be the last cycle of PS3 games (probably cross gen if i were to put money down) and Osaka will move to KH3.
The Osaka KH team is the one responsible for Re:CoM, BBS, and DDD. The KH1/2, FF Versus XIII team is in Tokyo, IIRC, and probably currently helping with FFXIV: A Realm Reborn.

The FFXIV crisis changed a lot of Squeenix's plans; and also, like I said, it makes the most sense for the Osaka team to start on KH3 now and for the Versus team to join them once Versus is complete.

Eh... aside from the very last fight (which was admittedly okay, aside from the button mashing laser show) I found it all to be way too easy.

KH2 as a whole was way too easy though.

Till FM+ critical came along, but yeah the only marginally difficult part was the very end.

Famassu

Not really.

You're overcomplicating his opinion. Like on that last point about DDD being the only game between II and III. He's talking about between the physical release dates of KHII and III.
Bitching about III not happening yet usually has that "there has been no "proper" KH game in 6 years" silliness behind it, which is... well, silly.

He just wished they made maybe one game after KHII tops, and then made KHIII. You're talking of the importance of story in all the post-KHII games--but what if those games didn't exist? What if they just came up with a concept for KHIII that didn't need that much story preparation? That's what he's getting at.
Yeah, and what if Voldemort didn't come up with the Horcruxes and Harry Potter would've just killed him for good before the events of the first book. It is the kind of story Nomura wants it to be. KH really isn't that overly long as a story, so I don't see anything worth complaining about in that regards.

"Those games'" storylines exist because Nomura has had ideas for them for a long time and feels they need to be explored before what he has planned for III happens.

And it wouldn't have been impossible. Nomura doesn't write Kingdom Hearts games with the entire future of the series in mind. He writes a game, and during that time, maybe, considers setting up the story for the next game. This is why things get retconned.
Except he has been doing that ever since Chain of Memories & II, you simply think it's so crazy that he couldn't have come up with all of it years ago. Of course he doesn't know every detailed step that it'll take to getting from the beginning to the end (as in, of course each game's plot is written when they actually develop that game), but that doesn't mean he hasn't had the Xehanort saga thought out at least in some detail for a long time, just like Martin knows exactly how ASOIAF will end, even if he doesn't know all the steps how to get there yet. And even that one big retcon that people keep complaining about doesn't really change things that much and is for the one game that was made before KH turned into a franchise, it just makes that single event even more important to the bigger picture. It was probably a somewhat convenient way for Nomura to explain how Xehanort does it.

Stuff like Lea's growing importance probably weren't planned when he was first introduced in CoM (it's not really that uncommon for writers to keep some characters along for longer than they originally intended and giving them new roles), but in the broader sense he's been building up for this epic showdown between the good guys and the bad guy(s) for a long time. No matter if it is more complicated, I find this current storyline way more compelling (with all the "heroes need to find a way to save Ven before Xehanort gets to him" and looming Keyblade War in the background) than keeping it into some simpler KHI like stuff, even if the writing is often cringeworthy (I guess I'd pick complex & cringeworthy over simple & cringeworthy).

Anyways, I think the reason for all these portable games is the "main" KH team being tied up with FFversusXIII, although it seems the developers of Days/BbS/DDD have now become the "main" KH team and are finally going to just make a console game.
Except Nomura made the decision to make Versus XIII before KHIII exactly because he had plans for the future of KH and those didn't include an immediate focus on III after II (he has big plans for III so he knows he & his teams need good understanding on HD-level development + he had storylines in mind that he wanted to tell before III). He knew Versus XIII would be a huge project before they had even started working on it (he says this in an interview right after II's release when asked about what he'll be working on next, how it wouldn't be KHIII but another big project).

You might've liked a simpler story but this is what Nomura has been planning for a long time and the reason why BBS & DDD exist is not simply because the original KH team was busy (that may be a reason for Coded's existence, but then again we are arguing whether there's ways to condense the saga and since Coded has no story, that's not really an argument against what they've been doing with the series since II, since the development of Days or Coded has no bearing to the development of III whatsoever).

But then what about the HD Remixes? You play 1.5 and 2.5 to prep for III, only to have to buy a new console to play III? And say you get PS4 and are interested in catching up on the series, only to realize you can't play 1.5/2.5 without a PS3.
It's still better to have them all on PS3 and then to have the next big thing for a next-gen console than what we have now.

This KH-console-renaissance picked a bad time to start.
It's more important than the series is returning to consoles. A lot of people have some silly reasons to diss all portable gaming, so getting the essentials on a single platform in one form or the other is better than having to rely on people playing some of the older games on a console that's been more or less dead for 6 years and getting at least two different handhelds to play the most essential handheld titles.

He makes it up as he goes along.
You have absolutely nothing to back this claim up while we do have things backing up the fact that he has planned a lot of it out in advance. Of course just like every other writer, he doesn't have all the smallest details written years in advance and some things could change as he writes it, but stuff like Xehanort looking for something in Castle Oblivion in CoM -> revealing it's the Chamber of Sleep in II -> finding out it's Ven's sleeping body that's in there (and what Castle Oblivion is in the first place) in BBS -> Xehanort's plans to use it as a vessel in DDD... this was clearly thought out well in advance, even if at the time of Chain of Memories he didn't have the backstory of Ventus thought out in detail.

SougoXIII

This series is spread on too many platforms as it is.(They've been fixing it but still, it's a little late).

The series have been spread out way too much already so one more platform hardly make any difference. Though consider that Square have been tight lip about FFX vita and they don't see the platform as viable enough to port Type-0 over, I highly doubt that they put any game on it soon.

u r mad

You're overcomplicating his opinion. Like on that last point about DDD being the only game between II and III. He's talking about between the physical release dates of KHII and III.

He just wished they made maybe one game after KHII tops, and then made KHIII. You're talking of the importance of story in all the post-KHII games--but what if those games didn't exist? What if they just came up with a concept for KHIII that didn't need that much story preparation? That's what he's getting at.

And it wouldn't have been impossible. Nomura doesn't write Kingdom Hearts games with the entire future of the series in mind. He writes a game, and during that time, maybe, considers setting up the story for the next game. This is why things get retconned.

Anyways, I think the reason for all these portable games is the "main" KH team being tied up with FFversusXIII, although it seems the developers of Days/BbS/DDD have now become the "main" KH team and are finally going to just make a console game.

It's whatever, I'm just wondering if they're going to skip PS3/360 altogether.

But then what about the HD Remixes? You play 1.5 and 2.5 to prep for III, only to have to buy a new console to play III? And say you get PS4 and are interested in catching up on the series, only to realize you can't play 1.5/2.5 without a PS3.

This KH-console-renaissance picked a bad time to start.

So you want the most anticipated game of the series to release on what would be a 9 year old console with 12 year old tech. Struggling to even run games now with it's crappy GPU and outdated CPU in Sub 720p with falling sub 30fps?

So you want the most anticipated game of the series to release on what would be a 9 year old console with 12 year old tech. Struggling to even run games now with it's crappy GPU and outdated CPU in Sub 720p with falling sub 30fps?
:lol

KH is not about having amazing grafix or shadows or anything. Don't expect KH 3 to look Godlike even if it's on the PS4.

I personally love Kingdom Hearts for the story. I mean, where else will you find a game about hearts and an old guy who managed to fuck a shitload of people just because he didn't want to be old and die anymore?

If you don't like the story, then you just shouldn't bother with KH anymore. It's not about Disney characters anymore, it's about Kingdom Hearts characters now.
Dude im with you 100% i love it so much.

It probably goes without saying... But I'm with you guys.

I am. Every single console KH is on imediately is one of the best looking games on the console. Imho

True that.

Doesn't make sense to release the game on the PS4, with 1.5 setting up PS3 users for 3.

PS4 is coming out end of this year or beginning of next. The KH team is on Versus, the Osaka team hasn't been with the game more than a few months. By the time the game releases, the next gen would've been in place for at least a couple years. To develop for PS3 would be insane.

PS4 is coming out end of this year or beginning of next. The KH team is on Versus, the Osaka team hasn't been with the game more than a few months. By the time the game releases, the next gen would've been in place for at least a couple years. To develop for PS3 would be insane.

It's a good thing Square has that next gen engine just waiting for an ambitious game then...

botty

Banned

I'm not quite sure. We're talking about a 70+ million install base, versus an unknown install base. 140+ million if they are smart enough to make it a multiplat. I also don't know if Square wants to invest all of that money into a Kingdom Hearts game, that doesn't necessarily need the power of a PS4 to reach its audience.

The Lamp

Not really.

Bitching about III not happening yet usually has that "there has been no "proper" KH game in 6 years" silliness behind it, which is... well, silly.

Yeah, and what if Voldemort didn't come up with the Horcruxes and Harry Potter would've just killed him for good before the events of the first book. It is the kind of story Nomura wants it to be. KH really isn't that overly long as a story, so I don't see anything worth complaining about in that regards.

"Those games'" storylines exist because Nomura has had ideas for them for a long time and feels they need to be explored before what he has planned for III happens.

Except he has been doing that ever since Chain of Memories & II, you simply think it's so crazy that he couldn't have come up with all of it years ago. Of course he doesn't know every detailed step that it'll take to getting from the beginning to the end (as in, of course each game's plot is written when they actually develop that game), but that doesn't mean he hasn't had the Xehanort saga thought out at least in some detail for a long time, just like Martin knows exactly how ASOIAF will end, even if he doesn't know all the steps how to get there yet. And even that one big retcon that people keep complaining about doesn't really change things that much and is for the one game that was made before KH turned into a franchise, it just makes that single event even more important to the bigger picture. It was probably a somewhat convenient way for Nomura to explain how Xehanort does it.

Stuff like Lea's growing importance probably weren't planned when he was first introduced in CoM (it's not really that uncommon for writers to keep some characters along for longer than they originally intended and giving them new roles), but in the broader sense he's been building up for this epic showdown between the good guys and the bad guy(s) for a long time. No matter if it is more complicated, I find this current storyline way more compelling (with all the "heroes need to find a way to save Ven before Xehanort gets to him" and looming Keyblade War in the background) than keeping it into some simpler KHI like stuff, even if the writing is often cringeworthy (I guess I'd pick complex & cringeworthy over simple & cringeworthy).

Except Nomura made the decision to make Versus XIII before KHIII exactly because he had plans for the future of KH and those didn't include an immediate focus on III after II (he has big plans for III so he knows he & his teams need good understanding on HD-level development + he had storylines in mind that he wanted to tell before III). He knew Versus XIII would be a huge project before they had even started working on it (he says this in an interview right after II's release when asked about what he'll be working on next, how it wouldn't be KHIII but another big project).

You might've liked a simpler story but this is what Nomura has been planning for a long time and the reason why BBS & DDD exist is not simply because the original KH team was busy (that may be a reason for Coded's existence, but then again we are arguing whether there's ways to condense the saga and since Coded has no story, that's not really an argument against what they've been doing with the series since II, since the development of Days or Coded has no bearing to the development of III whatsoever).

It's still better to have them all on PS3 and then to have the next big thing for a next-gen console than what we have now.

It's more important than the series is returning to consoles. A lot of people have some silly reasons to diss all portable gaming, so getting the essentials on a single platform in one form or the other is better than having to rely on people playing some of the older games on a console that's been more or less dead for 6 years and getting at least two different handhelds to play the most essential handheld titles.

You have absolutely nothing to back this claim up while we do have things backing up the fact that he has planned a lot of it out in advance. Of course just like every other writer, he doesn't have all the smallest details written years in advance and some things could change as he writes it, but stuff like Xehanort looking for something in Castle Oblivion in CoM -> revealing it's the Chamber of Sleep in II -> finding out it's Ven's sleeping body that's in there (and what Castle Oblivion is in the first place) in BBS -> Xehanort's plans to use it as a vessel in DDD... this was clearly thought out well in advance, even if at the time of Chain of Memories he didn't have the backstory of Ventus thought out in detail.

I officially don't have the endurance or care to continue this discussion. You may be right, whatever, I don't really care. I think the games could have been handled a lot better.

Though, I haven't played DDD yet. I've heard mixed opinions about it in comparison to BBS. Why do some people say it's not that great? I'm thinking of picking it up soon.

I officially don't have the endurance or care to continue this discussion. You may be right, whatever, I don't really care. I think the games could have been handled a lot better.

Though, I haven't played DDD yet. I've heard mixed opinions about it in comparison to BBS. Why do some people say it's not that great? I'm thinking of picking it up soon.

I don't blame you haha.

In comparison to BBS? BBS wins. However, it is really great.

botty

Banned

DDD has a bad story, and decent gameplay. BbS has a decent-to-bad story, and amazing gameplay.

I'm not quite sure. We're talking about a 70+ million install base, versus an unknown install base. 140+ million if they are smart enough to make it a multiplat. I also don't know if Square wants to invest all of that money into a Kingdom Hearts game, that doesn't necessarily need the power of a PS4 to reach its audience.

I think you are under the impression that KH3 is farther along in its development than it is. What you are describing, to me, sounds like what is going to happen with Versus. I like the minks idea about it releasing on PS3 and PS4. That is catering to the 70+ but also capitalizing on the draw of a new system.

botty

Banned
I think you are under the impression that KH3 is farther along in its development than it is. What you are describing, to me, sounds like what is going to happen with Versus. I like the minks idea about it releasing on PS3 and PS4. That is catering to the 70+ but also capitalizing on the draw of a new system.

I would honestly prefer it to be released on the PS3, so that I don't have to buy a new console. ;_;

TheMink

^I think since PS4 is so close i would definitely prefer it on PS4.
But i also always make money for new systems.

I popped in KH 2 again and did the final boss battle.
So good, it's so much fun.

Just before HD got announced i played through all of them, its yearly for me. Sometimes less XD

Confession time. Before HD Remix was announced as being localized, I pre-ordered the Japanese game from Play-Asia... But now that it has been announced i havent cancelled my order... I think I just want to get both versions haha.

I may have a problem

apricot

Confession time. Before HD Remix was announced as being localized, I pre-ordered the Japanese game from Play-Asia... But now that it has been announced i havent cancelled my order... I think I just want to get both versions haha.

I may have a problem

Nothing wrong with your problem (the Japanese voices are niiiice)

Tsunamo

We have a Kingdom Hearts community now? Awesome!
I popped in KH 2 again and did the final boss battle.
So good, it's so much fun.
Probably one of my most favorite final bosse sequences in a game, was a joy playing it the whole way through! Birth By Sleeps was also great, even if was on a smaller scale in comparison to 1 and 2's boss battles, especially with Dismiss playing.

I may have a problem
You're not the only one, I pre-ordered it as soon as the page was up on Play-Asia (despite knowing a English version would follow not long after and I'd buy that too) I've done that with every series release since Birth by Sleep, it's becoming a really bad habit.

aravuus

Great series! I remember learning of Kingdom Hearts 2 via a "In The Shadows" video on youtube, it probably was even this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BHTC_F5_-Q

Edit: Oh wow at the comments, Putfile, it could be I saw this video on putfile first, oh how time has passed.

Oh wow, haven't heard that song in a while. Really liked it when I was 13 or something. Most of these kind of video+song combinations are a bit weird though, it's like people just mash together their favorite shit. Like in a fan fic. Kind of fits here though.

Thought I'd replay DDD on easy to just have fun and 100% it. How long has it taken people to fully complete the game? Not thinking of collecting every single dream eater, just going to try and get the most rare/powerful ones. Side quests etc though I'd do all.

So what is everyone's favorite battle music from the series? For me, I'm partial to Pirate's Gigue from Neverland (Kingdom Hearts). I think it strikes the nice balance between...something something and I think it fits in very well with the theme of Neverland, fun and exciting. I think it does a really good job of pumping you up, especially for your battle on the deck!

After that, I'm kind of partial to the battle music to the Timeless River (Kingdom Hearts 2) because the Timeless River has sort of a silly and slapstick feel to it like the OLD Disney cartoons and I think the music really hits it out of the ballpark. It helps I love it so much because I level grinded quite a few of Sora's Drives here.

One battle theme I really really love is Monstrous Monstro from Kingdom Hearts. I just really enjoy how it sounds and it's really catchy (At least for me) so I had no issues level grinding my way here to level 100 (Which I did by the way and don't ask).

Nothing wrong with your problem (the Japanese voices are niiiice)
I agree... However, both languages are on the disc anyway... So I really do think I have a problem :p
You're not the only one, I pre-ordered it as soon as the page was up on Play-Asia (despite knowing a English version would follow not long after and I'd buy that too) I've done that with every series release since Birth by Sleep, it's becoming a really bad habit.
Yeah me too haha...

JUST TAKE MY MONEY NOMURA!!!

I agree... However, both languages are on the disc anyway... So I really do think I have a problem :p

Yeah me too haha...

JUST TAKE MY MONEY NOMURA!!!

While I don't buy the Japanese versions (almost bit the bullet for FM+) I have bought almost every KH game with the exception of DDD, but that shouldn't last for long. I do plan on getting a PS3 just for the main motivation of KH 1.5. I also have a problem

Top Bottom