• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Funko Pops officially announced, no Sora

Yarbskoo

You did exactly what I said made my eyes roll.

No toy "only" costs $50, especially if you're a collector. That is expensive for a tiny plastic toy.

You said $60+. That DX Link is an unusually well featured Nendoroid, and lists for just under 50 bucks, and if you buy from amiami or get the normal version it's even cheaper. I get that Funko Pops are cheap, but your exaggeration isn't helping your argument.

If you really can't afford Nendos, there's still some Disney Infinity figures out there that look better at a decent price. Even amiibo look better.

One of the biggest reasons I like pops are how they have so many licenses. I have a few Nendoroids and Figmas, but I don't see Nendos of Ren & Stimpy, Animaniacs, or Brak and Zorak. So I never understood the argument that I should just buy Nendos or Figmas.

I think the pops that aren't human look the best.

Yeah, along with the price, the wide range of IP represented seems like a big part of the appeal.

That Stimpy looks decent, but Sebastian and Heimlich are nightmare fuel.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=FIGURE-025029
FIGURE-025029.jpg

Cheaper than Play Arts Kai, and looks better too.

I only have one Funko figure. Fred from Big Hero 6:

This one doesn't look terrible either.

I see some of these pops in store.
Some are okay, the majority are incredibly ugly.

Also I forever regret buying the PAK Kairi, that's an ugly one too.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
You guys are posting Pops to prove they look good, but it's having the opposite effect.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Some of ya'll get so upset/triggered by Funko Pops.

Damn, lighten up. Some are really cool.

Zero315

Banned
Lol at people acting like there aren't some ugly ass Nendoroids, like five-head Captain America and Iron Man.

My glow in the dark White Lantern Firestorm and the upcoming Iron Fist Pop that I have preordered look awesome:

The only funko figures that work in my opinion are the ones that already dont have pupils for eyes in the first place or the weird square head. Those soulless eyes ruin them. Also I dont really like how the body is proportioned on most figures, looks cheap.

Funko Pops look like shit, and it's a good thing too since if they released all those characters as Nendoroids instead, I'd be living on the street.

Nendo Link only costs $50 and comes with all this shit:
ee1f8718132c71419e8c053791edfc73.jpg

Plus alternate arm and leg parts and an alternate face too.
All that crap that your gonna play with once and then pack in the box and forget about it.
Funko Pops are physically horrendous to look at. They are designed by morons who clearly have no understanding of how to make something cute. They take characters and then put the exact same dumb emotionless beady eyes on all of them.

And then stores stock literally WALLS of them. Entire walls of those fucking things. You go into a store and then you're subjected to a full arsenal of that appalling trash.

I can't wait for that company to go out of business. I refuse to believe that enough people buy that shit to make them profitable.
The fucking salt right now.

LMAO

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
You guys are in a thread arguing about toys. 1 thing I can say is generally people who buy pops do it as a collectible or a sort of decoration. Those arguing about interchangable parts and whatnot... I don't mean to be an asshole, but what are you doing with that stuff? Do you still "play" toys?

Quonny

You guys are in a thread arguing about toys. 1 thing I can say is generally people who buy pops do it as a collectible or a sort of decoration. Those arguing about interchangable parts and whatnot... I don't mean to be an asshole, but what are you doing with that stuff? Do you still "play" toys?
You pose them in different ways and can make fun scenes. For example, if you want Link to be charging into battle, you can. If you want Link to look injured, you can. If you want Link to pet his horse, you can.

I have over 100 Nendoroids and only change their poses when I move homes or 1-2 at a time every couple of weeks. It's changeable art, in a way.

Part of the appeal of pops is that the brand is popular and cheap enough that they can make them out of franchises that otherwise don't get much merchandise love. They've basically taken the place of bobble heads and now that they're popular oh no the cool kids have to come in and complain about how much precious merch space they're taking up. Oh no!!!
Are they the greatest quality toy known to man? No, that's why they can cover so much ground. It's why they're successful

Yarbskoo

Lol at people acting like there aren't some ugly ass Nendoroids, like five-head Captain America and Iron Man.

Nendoroid still looks better though.
Uu96GvE.png

All that crap that your gonna play with once and then pack in the box and forget about it.

Those arguing about interchangable parts and whatnot... I don't mean to be an asshole, but what are you doing with that stuff? Do you still "play" toys?

Come on now, it's not that difficult. You're supposed to pose them yourself. That's the whole point of articulated figures. The more parts you have the more options you have.

Yarbskoo

Man, Chibi just isn't a good look for Iron Man period. Cap wins that department.

At least the 'stand' for the Nendo is better than generic hover boosters.

Thankfully, Iron Man isn't one of those characters that's hurting for figures, so you've got plenty of options.

TUSR

Banned
The only he linked would be considered a deluxe nendoroid set.

The cheap basic ones start at $20 and are still million times better than funko pops. They are posable and you can interchange the parts with other nendos. A collector wouldn't really worry about price though
Wow thats only $20? The quality difference between this and a Funko is insane.

I feel like I am obligated as a person to come in and say that I like Funko Pops quite a bit. They're cute and the cohesive art style makes them fun for the crossover element - what other toy brand can give you so many characters all together in the same style? The only serious downside to them in my eyes is the lack of poses, as it gets pretty boring to just have toys that stand in a basic pose, but they've gotten better about that as of late.

Also Mickey is my favorite of the KH Pops lol

Oh, uh, ya know you could just display it like said Funko Pops.

That was so idiotic to read that it hurt. I feel bad for what Action Figure GAF has to put up with here. People buy said "interchangeable parts toys" for the same reasons you listed, it is just that they get more poses.

Part of the appeal of pops is that the brand is popular and cheap enough that they can make them out of franchises that otherwise don't get much merchandise love. They've basically taken the place of bobble heads and now that they're popular oh no the cool kids have to come in and complain about how much precious merch space they're taking up. Oh no!!!
Are they the greatest quality toy known to man? No, that's why they can cover so much ground. It's why they're successful
Pretty much. They are shit but they give you merch for series that lack much or any merch. It is sad when Funko Pops are the highest quality figure merch for Regular Show.

Funky Pops cater to mass market appeal better than most figure companies. They are the entry point to nerd collecting at a time where Marvel movies are turning everyone into consumer spending nerds. They're cheap, extremely accessible, and don't take up too much space on your shelf. Funko is so big they are literally keeping shops alive at this point. GameStop would be in financial troubles if they didn't stock them. The amount of IPs they can get is insane. You can get a Golden Girls Funko. That's pretty awesome.

I can understand people who collect figures from better lines or manufacturers being confused about the appeal of Funko Pops. (I can see a few FigureGAF faces.) I don't care for them, but I'll get them as presents for other people, who aren't as discerning or who have tastes that run in that direction.

That said, the pictures here look like renders rather than actual photos of prototypes. The final products won't have the weird shadows, I imagine.

Funko is like 40% of GameStop. They actively encourage people to preorder them.

Unless you have numbers that substantiate this, I can't see the margins being anything like as good as for used games.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You do realise you are on a forum dedicated to discussing electronic toys.

TUSR

Banned
Funky Pops cater to mass market appeal better than most figure companies. They are the entry point to nerd collecting at a time where Marvel movies are turning everyone into consumer spending nerds. They're cheap, extremely accessible, and don't take up too much space on your shelf. Funko is so big they are literally keeping shops alive at this point. GameStop would be in financial troubles if they didn't stock them. The amount of IPs they can get is insane. You can get a Golden Girls Funko. That's pretty awesome.

HUH

Funko is like 40% of GameStop. They actively encourage people to preorder them.

WHAT

ZeoVGM

Banned
His 40% number is completely made up. But he's right in that Funko is big at GameStop and they actually do push for Funko pre-orders now.

GameStop has been making a move towards having more collectibles as their physical game sales have gone down. Funko has been the main focus of that.

JBHIFI Australia put up a listing for some of the pops, release date is April 28th. No doubt North America will get theirs at an earlier date.

Ratrat

My issue is less about looks, but quality. The paint jobs on the ones Ive seen are horrible and they cost $20 or more here. Its a joke.

Top Bottom