• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD I.5+II.5 ReMIX |OT| Kingdom Hearts Final Port

Razmos

There's something slightly creepy about Terra talking to Riku alone, on a beach, far away from any adults, offering to let him touch his magic sword and then telling him it's a secret and he can tell nobody.

How did that scene ever get approval lol?

Finished up KH1. Never thought about why or how Kairi ended up at the Door to Darkness before...

Re:CoM is next...here we go.

Wouldn't be the first or the last time KH kinda handwaved something away. I wouldn't worry about it too too much. (Honestly, the logically consistent way to end KH1 would've been Kairi getting teleported back to Hollow Bastion and Sora getting teleported back to Destiny Islands, but that wouldn't lead Sora's narrative into a sequel nearly as well)

Wouldn't be the first or the last time KH kinda handwaved something away. I wouldn't worry about it too too much. (Honestly, the logically consistent way to end KH1 would've been Kairi getting teleported back to Hollow Bastion and Sora getting teleported back to Destiny Islands, but that wouldn't lead Sora's narrative into a sequel nearly as well)

Yeah, that makes sense. I guess since Traverse Town was destroyed when the worlds were restored, she just...ended up there? Also, where exactly are Sora, Donald, and Goofy at the end? Some random trail? Perhaps I'm overthinking things.

Yeah, that makes sense. I guess since Traverse Town was destroyed when the worlds were restored, she just...ended up there? Also, where exactly are Sora, Donald, and Goofy at the end? Some random trail? Perhaps I'm overthinking things.

Was Traverse Town destroyed when that happened? I suppose I could see that being the case but I don't think that's ever really stated anywhere in the games. (I'd still love to see KH3 combine Destiny Islands/Traverse Town/Twilight Town/Daybreak Town/Radiant Garden/Land of Departure/Keyblade Graveyard into one gigantic 'main' world halfway through the game but I understand why KH series logic will always keep the various worlds totally walled off from each other even though Kingdom Hearts supposedly has the power to change that).

And yeah, the road/crossroads motif shows up in KH1 and Chain of Memories and then kinda disappears in the subsequent games (though it'd perhaps be interesting to bring it back post-DDD, considering that it's also shaped like an X).

Destroyed was the wrong word, now that I looked up info. Traverse Town is made up of remnants from destroyed worlds and is home to the survivors of those worlds. When Sora sealed the Door to Darkness, all the worlds came back. Traverse Town wasn't needed anymore, so it fell into the Realm of Dreams, which is why it's in DDD. I guess it kicked out Kairi and she ended up with Sora. *shrugs*

Meowster

So after 30 - 40 attempts, I finally got the boss done:

https://twitter.com/Stuart444/status/856968287783145472

I think I got lucky but man, feels good to beat him. His attacks became relentless near the end. Limit Form + Sonic Rave followed by some lucky comboing beat him.
Good job! I have no clue if you are going to be doing the post-game stuff or not but getting used to reflega will help you sooo much if you attempt to take on the Data fights. I wasn't even using reflect when I was fighting Roxas last time and barely scraped by thanks to Limit Form.

Stuart444

Good job! I have no clue if you are going to be doing the post-game stuff or not but getting used to reflega will help you sooo much if you attempt to take on the Data fights. I wasn't even using reflect when I was fighting Roxas last time and barely scraped by thanks to Limit Form.

I will certainly attempt all the post game stuff / get the platinum. Reflect is awesome but requires some precision.

Still, I'll probably attempt all the post game stuff inbetween doing stuff like birth by sleep (which I've never done before despite owning it on PSP).

MAX PAYMENT

There's something slightly creepy about Terra talking to Riku alone, on a beach, far away from any adults, offering to let him touch his magic sword and then telling him it's a secret and he can tell nobody.

How did that scene ever get approval lol?

latest

I think it's the way he touches it.

Stuart444

So reached another wall in KH2

Xigbar. He is easy enough until near the end, FInding an opportunity to attack him becomes painful and he goes into that move where he fires lasers in a small square A LOT.
I pretty much heal through the first onslaught but the second onslaught is too fucking painful.

I even reflect spam and that works until near the end then it stops working so I still lose half my health or so.

If he only did that move once or twice, I could deal but 3 times in very very quick succession is absolute fucking bullshit.

If reflect spam was more reliable in that instance, it also wouldn't be much of an issue but reflect always dies out before the end of that move even if I'm mashing reflect until the end

Edit: i completely forgot about limits (not the form) XD maybe that will help if i use it around the 2 bar area since that is when he usually kills me

edit 2: okay so after a lot of attempts, I figured out how to deal with that move that kept killing me. Running in a circle and trying not to hit the wall (any slowdown like running into the wall by accident would get me hurt)

So instead of saving mp for reflect, I saved it for Donald FLARE.

So yay :D I won

Famassu

Finished up KH1. Never thought about why or how Kairi ended up at the Door to Darkness before...

Re:CoM is next...here we go.

I mean, they are at End of the World where bits & pieces of destroyed worlds drift into, right? Closing the Door to Darkness starts restoring the worlds and you could probably explain it away with Kairi automagically transfering back to Destiny Islands as it starts restoring (residents of worlds seem to be tightly connected to the hearts of their worlds so it could make sense for characters to return to their respective worlds as their worlds are rescued/returned from darkness).

Considering one of the final battle scenes is the beach at Destiny Islands, you could assume Sora is already pretty close to the "piece" of Destiny Island where the restoration starts from, so Kairi would basically return there if part of the restoration also included returning the characters from said worlds into them. You can throw in some "Sora & Kairi's hearts are connected" KH lore BS to explain why they find each other so easily and then Sora just "jumps off" the restoring Destiny Island (or decides not to jump into it) before its borders shut it off from other worlds to go search for his missing friend(s).

Or something like that.

Wait, is the scene in KH2 where Xemnas
is talking to Aqua's armor
and the scene that follows new in Final Mix? I don't remember that back when I played vanilla KH2.

Meowster

Why were Xemnas, Saix, Xigbar, and Larxene so much easier than the other Data bosses? Anyways, just beat them and Lingering Will. I can't believe I did it! Now I'm just finishing up some synthesis stuff and the minigame missions and I'll have my platinum. I used to be a STAUNCH KH1 supporter but I've since changed my mind. Kingdom Hearts II is one of the greatest games I've played imho. This Critical run has been exhilarating.

grimmiq

Playing through this now, I quit playing KH1 when it came out and I kinda forgot why..I'm at the same part and now I remember..The increasing amount of levels with platforming combined with shitty camera control, flying enemies and attacks that make you fling yourself forward makes a lot of rooms extremely tedious. Not being able to examine/activate things while in combat combined with rooms that sometimes have half a dozen waves of enemies in a single spot, and stupid AI partners that run off while fighting and triggering another area's waves..I'm currently going back after Hollow Bastion to get Trinity points/chests I missed, 1 room in Monstro took me 25 goddamn minutes because every time I moved, a new wave of flyers spawned. Combat isn't hard, I've been tearing through pretty much everything except Maleficent's Dragon form, about 15mins in I was playing 1 handed, x,x,x,x,R1,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,R1,x,x,x,x,x

Oddly now that I'm much older I'm able to appreciate the Disney side of things a lot more than when I was a teenager, but a lot of worlds for me have had the 1st half been very enjoyable and interesting being there, then the 2nd half of it "Just fucking end already".

NullKaze

Thanks. I'll grind till then. I do hate how cure magic is tied to all of your MP :(
I love it.

It makes Cure amazingly balanced in a game where you have items/guard/3 types of dodges/limits/drives/summons, all capable of turning you invincible one way or another.

Use your magic and Ethers as much as possible. Magic in KH2 is one of the greatest ways to play and should feature in almost all your combos in some way once you get Magnet.

Rumbling Rose with Magnet -> Explosion -> Finishing leap -> Fire wrecks most mobs and replenishes your Drive like crazy. I came up with a combo of Magnet -> Finishing Leap -> Fire -> Reflect on Berserkers. They'd get sucked in, take damage, then attack me on the way down but hit the Reflect and take more damage. And repeat.

Zomba13

So after 30 - 40 attempts, I finally got the boss done:

https://twitter.com/Stuart444/status/856968287783145472

I think I got lucky but man, feels good to beat him. His attacks became relentless near the end. Limit Form + Sonic Rave followed by some lucky comboing beat him.

I think that is one of my favourite fights in the series. I love the music, the arena, how it's a 1v1 fight, who you are fighting. Got to that point in KH2FM+ on the PS2 years ago and was floored by it. Very hard fight too but felt so good to win.

I never managed to beat any of the data fights or Lingering Will on the PS2 though. I think at the point I got to try them I was burnt out.

Famassu

Playing through this now, I quit playing KH1 when it came out and I kinda forgot why..I'm at the same part and now I remember..The increasing amount of levels with platforming combined with shitty camera control, flying enemies and attacks that make you fling yourself forward makes a lot of rooms extremely tedious. Not being able to examine/activate things while in combat combined with rooms that sometimes have half a dozen waves of enemies in a single spot, and stupid AI partners that run off while fighting and triggering another area's waves..I'm currently going back after Hollow Bastion to get Trinity points/chests I missed, 1 room in Monstro took me 25 goddamn minutes because every time I moved, a new wave of flyers spawned. Combat isn't hard, I've been tearing through pretty much everything except Maleficent's Dragon form, about 15mins in I was playing 1 handed, x,x,x,x,R1,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,R1,x,x,x,x,x

Oddly now that I'm much older I'm able to appreciate the Disney side of things a lot more than when I was a teenager, but a lot of worlds for me have had the 1st half been very enjoyable and interesting being there, then the 2nd half of it "Just fucking end already".
Are you playing on Proud? Because unless you've grinded so much you're overleveled, it should require more than just mashing X (at that point magic, positioning, timing, dodges & blocks etc. becomes important). Even if you are overleveled, the battle system is involved enough & offers plenty of tools that through smart play & you taking advantage of all the things at your disposal, you can make things faster for yourself. You're doing something wrong if one room takes you 25 minutes.

Very few rooms also have tons of "waves" of enemies. They just have spots where some enemies spawn (usully just 1-5). If you don't want to fight, you can just avoid those spots and move on. I'm also not sure if Donald & Goofy can even spawn enemies?

grimmiq

Are you playing on Proud? Because unless you've grinded so much you're overleveled, it should require more than just mashing X (at that point magic, positioning, timing, dodges & blocks etc. becomes important). Even if you are overleveled, the battle system is involved enough & offers plenty of tools that through smart play & you taking advantage of all the things at your disposal, you can make things faster for yourself. You're doing something wrong if one room takes you 25 minutes.

Very few rooms also have tons of "waves" of enemies. They just have spots where some enemies spawn (usully just 1-5). If you don't want to fight, you can just avoid those spots and move on. I'm also not sure if Donald & Goofy can even spawn enemies?

Playing on Normal, I figured that would be the best bet for playing through the entirety of 1.5 & 2.5. The room I'm talking about what I think chamber 5 of Monstro, I was going back for chest/trinities so I had to go through the entire room, which was several levels + 3(?) platforms on the walls.

Zone in, kill 3 waves of small fry, jump up to next level, kill 2 waves of small flyers, jump to 1st platform, fat guy spawns and knocks me down into the opposite side of the raised level, another 2 waves to fight through, jump back up, kill the fat guy, 2 more waves, jump to the final platform..3 waves of flyers. Since I was going for chests, everything needed to die. A decent chunk of that was accidentally flying off the higher levels and jumping back up, I've since removed the dash ability you get early on, made it a bit more manageable. EDIT:I'm an idiot. Was probably only 15mins..didn't factor in the trip from mouth > chamber 5 > back + picking up a couple of missed chests in the mouth.

I could just be crazy with the Donald/Goofy spawning enemies, they always seem to run off to the other end of a room and come back with a lot of enemies, maybe they're doing me a favor and I'm being pissy and assuming they're screwing up because I hate that stupid duck.

I am a bit overlevelled from getting lost in Monstro/Agrabah the 1st time through. Pre-Bastion the waves were much smaller, so I just killed everything even though I got turned around and went through the same room 3-4 times. I think I was level 43-44 for Maleficent. Heading back into Hollow Bastion after dinner at lvl47.

NateDog

Why were Xemnas, Saix, Xigbar, and Larxene so much easier than the other Data bosses? Anyways, just beat them and Lingering Will. I can't believe I did it! Now I'm just finishing up some synthesis stuff and the minigame missions and I'll have my platinum. I used to be a STAUNCH KH1 supporter but I've since changed my mind. Kingdom Hearts II is one of the greatest games I've played imho. This Critical run has been exhilarating.

Larxene was such a bitch in CoM I thought. But I agree. I adored KH and still do but KH2 has some good post-game content and both of the games to me are a great example of how to make collectibles and post-game content fun. They're some of the only games I've actually really enjoyed doing everything in. The one thing is KH hasn't aged greatly, maybe the PS4 port is better but the camera in the PS3 HD collection was still bad and I can't imagine going back to it after KH2.

So reached another wall in KH2

Xigbar. He is easy enough until near the end, FInding an opportunity to attack him becomes painful and he goes into that move where he fires lasers in a small square A LOT.
I pretty much heal through the first onslaught but the second onslaught is too fucking painful.

I even reflect spam and that works until near the end then it stops working so I still lose half my health or so.

If he only did that move once or twice, I could deal but 3 times in very very quick succession is absolute fucking bullshit.

If reflect spam was more reliable in that instance, it also wouldn't be much of an issue but reflect always dies out before the end of that move even if I'm mashing reflect until the end

Edit: i completely forgot about limits (not the form) XD maybe that will help if i use it around the 2 bar area since that is when he usually kills me

edit 2: okay so after a lot of attempts, I figured out how to deal with that move that kept killing me. Running in a circle and trying not to hit the wall (any slowdown like running into the wall by accident would get me hurt)

So instead of saving mp for reflect, I saved it for Donald FLARE.

So yay :D I won

Duck Flare is legitimately a pro strategy for that fight. Nice one.

Neat to see people figuring out KHII's tougher bosses forbthe first time.

Played a bunch of KH1.5 last night,
played through Hollow Bastion until I got dumped in Traverse Town.

Now, admittedly I'm playing on Final Mix (standard), but I was expecting Maleficent and her Dragon form to be a lot more challenging. Aero + Tinkerbell seems to trivialise everything.

Love these games.

I started CoM last night and laughed my ass off when Sora first spoke. This was immediately after I finished KH1 and I forgot RE:CoM was made after KH2 so Sora's deeper voice was hilarious.

GLAMr

Just finished 1.5 last night... Was going to farm mats for the ultimate weapons and kill all the extra bosses. But ugh, those terrible terrible synthesis farming fights. I have better things to do with my life.

On to CoM!

Zomba13

Just finished 1.5 last night... Was going to farm mats for the ultimate weapons and kill all the extra bosses. But ugh, those terrible terrible synthesis farming fights. I have better things to do with my life.

On to CoM!

Yeah, I really wasn't feeling the added enemies for that stuff in FM. Just made the whole thing take way too long. There were interesting concepts in those encounters but when I just want to get materials I don't want to play these games to get the items, I just want to mindlessly farm while watching something on a second screen or listening to a podcast or something.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Spend all day installing

Can play KH 1.5, but not all of the games. Cool

Lose to Riku on Destiny Islands, game crashes

Load game - wait 2 hours for install

This generation of games was a mistake
I'm being punished for losing

GLAMr

Yeah, I really wasn't feeling the added enemies for that stuff in FM. Just made the whole thing take way too long. There were interesting concepts in those encounters but when I just want to get materials I don't want to play these games to get the items, I just want to mindlessly farm while watching something on a second screen or listening to a podcast or something.
Ayep. Some of it was kinda cool, like the Back Ballad stuff. But the ridiculous drop rate for the pot scorpion made me give up. Plus some of it is so damn obscure (e.g. The mushroom in Deep Jungle), it would take forever to figure out without a guide.

grimmiq

Just finished Kingdom Hearts 1 Final mix, my last couple of posts were pretty much entirely negative, but that doesn't really represent how I feel now that it's completed(mostly).

I originally played this on PS2 but gave up at the H
ollow Bastion
, for reasons I vaguely remember being combat/camera focused, combined with me being in my mid teens going in thinking it would be Final Fantasy with a Disney Flavoring, but getting the opposite.

My biggest mistake was playing on normal (Final Remix?) instead of Proud, I got lost a few times and continued to do my usual JRPG thing of killing everything in my path, usually putting me at the right level for bosses, but that kinda goes out the window when you go around in circles a half dozen times every 2nd world. My spotty memory also played a part here, remembering parts of worlds and focusing on that. Like W
onderland, I had the yellow flowers that you hit with lightning stuck in my head from years ago, my brain assumed that was the way to go, so I was looking for them and going around in circles.
So since the difficulty wasn't high, and I was grinding through areas multiple times to find my way the combat system fell flat, very few enemies felt like a threat, so I approached it half-assed, which in the final stages came back to bite me a bit. I barely used any of the non-passive abilities until the very end. Aero > X, X, X, X. Enemy after Enemy, Boss after Boss went down pretty quick, with only M
aleficent
and onwards causing me to change things up.
I did look up what level people recommended for Ansem afterwards, and most seem to say 55-60+, so I guess me avoiding all enemies near ledges rectified some of my grinding
?

I loved pretty much all of the worlds except
Atlantica
and
Neverland
, the final stages of
Halloween Town
and
Hollow Bastion
were also a pain simply because of the platforming, which was made worse by forgetting I had the ability that sends me flying forward off ledges equipped.

My last criticism is about the story/voices, I know a lot of people love Donald..but it's a little difficult for me to get invested in characters when during key moments that are supposed to be tense or emotional, Donald chimes in like a loud fart.

On to the positives!

The worlds, despite my annoyance at some controls, were all very vibrant and a bit awe inspiring as to how faithful they were to their animation origins, from scenery to the voice cast. The small changes of plot elements from the movies to fit in with the game's story felt natural.

The cameo appearances were by far the highlight for me, characters being introduced or teased, both from Disney and Final Fantasy never failed to evoke a smile or a chuckle, the highlights being
Cloud
and
Mickey, who I was surprised to see have such a tiny amount of screen time

The story was told about as well as I think a corny Disney friendship is magic type story could be told.

I really started to enjoy the gameplay a lot more in the final stages of the game where enemies actually started to threaten me, with enemies blocking and actually avoiding a lot of my mashing attacks, forcing me to pay attention
those invisible enemies in the great hall being the starting point, and Ansem's Submit making me realize that it's a real fight
, on Proud, are a lot more enemies like this? I remember reading that enemies weren't just health/damage buffed, but had better/different AI. If that's the case I might be tempted to start over on Proud to properly appreciate the game as a whole. I think I did miss a few reports and skipped pretty much all of the Gummi Ship stuff and forgot to go back to the 1
00 acre woods.

Started CoM on Easy just to blow through it and everything that isn't a boss fight is so insultingly easy that I'm starting to think I should start over on Proud just to make the game more interesting.

aBarreras

i onlyhave played chain of memories back on the GBA, if i want to play all of kingdom hearts, this compilation will do, right? everything that i have to play or see, is here?

Gulz1992

i onlyhave played chain of memories back on the GBA, if i want to play all of kingdom hearts, this compilation will do, right? everything that i have to play or see, is here?

Mostly. If you want to experience everything Kingdom Hearts, there's still the 2.8 collection which includes Dream Drop Distance (originally on the 3DS) and 0.2 (a short new game, basically a KH3 demo). There's also the FTP mobile game, Unchained X, but it's not very important.

aBarreras

Mostly. If you want to experience everything Kingdom Hearts, there's still the 2.8 collection which includes Dream Drop Distance (originally on the 3DS) and 0.2 (a short new game, basically a KH3 demo). There's also the FTP mobile game, Unchained X, but it's not very important.

ooh ok, so it is I.5 plus II.5 plus 2.8? for all kingdom hearts?

Top Bottom