• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby: Planet Robobot |OT| A Transformative Mechstravaganza

Question, would I find Triple Deluxe underwhelming if I played Robobot first and then TD? Kind of like a Donkey Kong Country 2 to Donkey Kong Country effect.

I would say "probably" at this point (just beat world 3). Robobot seems to be a good example of a new-and-improved straight sequel. That isn't to say that triple deluxe is not good (it's great!), but Robobot is kind of more of the same, but better.

Just beat World 4. As someone with limited experience of the Kirby series - I played Power Paintbrush to completion back on DS, and I played Kirby's Dream Land on the 3DS VC - I have say, this game has knocked me of my feet with how good it is. Gorgeous to look at, the best 3D integration I've seen seen 3D Land, brilliant music... and those powers! They're so cool. I expected like... one move per power, but it just feels more like Smash Bros. from the varied movesets each one has. I've been playing through with ESP mostly (seeing as I have 3 different amiibos that grant access to that) but the other powers are amazingly fun. And the Robobot is BRILLIANT.

My favourite 3DS game in a long time.

Berordn

Question, would I find Triple Deluxe underwhelming if I played Robobot first and then TD? Kind of like a Donkey Kong Country 2 to Donkey Kong Country effect.

Basically echoing what Bill said above, but the game still holds up great. The aesthetic is a bit more traditional and Hypernova isn't used nearly as brilliantly as the Robobot Armor is, so it's a little weaker there. But if you can put that to the side you'll probably enjoy it just as much, it's otherwise mechanically identical and has a different selection of powers to mess around with.

Just beat World 4. As someone with limited experience of the Kirby series - I played Power Paintbrush to completion back on DS, and I played Kirby's Dream Land on the 3DS VC - I have say, this game has knocked me of my feet with how good it is. Gorgeous to look at, the best 3D integration I've seen seen 3D Land, brilliant music... and those powers! They're so cool. I expected like... one move per power, but it just feels more like Smash Bros. from the varied movesets each one has. I've been playing through with ESP mostly (seeing as I have 3 different amiibos that grant access to that) but the other powers are amazingly fun. And the Robobot is BRILLIANT.

My favourite 3DS game in a long time.

You're in for a treat if you decide to dig into the backlog. Kirby Super Star was basically Masahiro Sakurai's template for the Smash Bros. series. If you're looking for more after Robobot I'd suggest you track it down, it's a brilliant little game.

Kinsei

Banned
ESP absolutely destroys the arena.

Meta Knightmare Returns is great so far. It's nice to have all of the abilities from Metaknightmare Ultra at my disposal again.

Kazerei

Banned
Got all platinum medals in Team Kirby Clash. Only took about 30 mins I think. It was a lot of fun, I just wish there were more roles and more quests.

El Odio

Banned
I absolutely love how they decided to refer back to older Kirby games with like every aspect of this game. I was grinning so hard on the second boss when it was basically an excuse to bring back old bosses temporarily, same with Kirby Clash using Pribbit and Landia. Mirror and Jet are finally back with added attacks, the stickers with their art, the OST, just everything makes it feel like a love letter to Kirby fans.

Dyna

I picked the game up yesterday and I've played for about 4 hours as of now. It's really great fun so far, the Robobot is a really cool addition and the way they give you more abilities for it as you progress throughout the levels is nice. Some cool new abilities too, especially the S
mash Bros.
ability. Not sure if it has appeared in previous games (I don't recall it being in Triple Deluxe), but when I found it (it was kind of hidden) I was pretty surprised. Good moveset too! I haven't really delved into the minigames properly yet, but from what I played they both seem quite fun and different. It's nice to play a really solid platformer every now and then, this will most likely end up in my top 5 this year.

Meta Knightmare Returns
is great so far. It's nice to have all of the abilities from
Metaknightmare Ultra
at my disposal again.

You should spoiler tag that, dude. I didn't know about that and would have liked to find out for myself. :/

MrBadger

I may have beaten this game a little too quickly...I only have the
True Arena
to go and I can never usually beat those. Kirby final bosses just keep getting more exciting. This one
felt like what the final boss of a Platinum Starfox game would be. Well, a different Platinum Starfox game.
And that's not to mention how
Meta Knight mode ended with a fight with Dark Matter, the Triple Deluxe final boss and Galacta Knight.
This and Triple Deluxe are so creative and my only criticism is I would have liked them to flesh out the mechs more.

Another detail I love is the flavour text on the pause screen during boss fights. I'm probably the only person ever who cares about Kirby lore but I like the references to other games and little hints about the characters being connected in different ways.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
ESP absolutely destroys the arena.

Meta Knightmare Returns
is great so far. It's nice to have all of the abilities from Metaknightmare Ultra at my disposal again.

Thanks for the spoilers :/

Berordn

Another detail I love is the flavour text on the pause screen during boss fights. I'm probably the only person ever who cares about Kirby lore but I like the references to other games and little hints about the characters being connected in different ways.

You're absolutely not. I think I was in tears after reading the flavor text on
Dream Soul OS 2
in True Arena.

That's a returning ability from... Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, I think.

This particular version of it comes straight out of Kirby's Dream Collection, with one minor change to bring it in line with Smash 4.

edit: aaaaand done
v7qfo.jpg

Thanks for keeping me calm on an otherwise crazy day, Kirby.

MrBadger

Actually what ability do people use for the
True Arena?
In every Kirby game since Superstar Ultra I've defaulted to Hammer

Berordn

Actually what ability do people use for the
True Arena?
In every Kirby game since Superstar Ultra I've defaulted to Hammer

In Super Star Ultra Hammer was what I first cleared it with, but since I put so much time in it I can clear it with just about anything (except Wheel and Jet, for obvious reasons).

In Triple Deluxe I cheesed it with Archer. Love that sneaky little guy. Did a clear with Beetle and Hammer eventually.

For Robobot I used Poison... until I accidentally lost it and panicked until I noticed the amiibo feature was still active. Then UFO basically saved the day... but my score is forever marred with an amiibo icon.

MrBadger

You're absolutely not. I think I was in tears after reading the flavor text on
Dream Soul OS 2
in True Arena.

I just saw it actually. Jesus Christ, that's pretty dark.

"Why did I reactivate such a terrible machine? Oh, I remember--I wanted to see her just one last time. How foolish! I should have known that no machine could make such a dream come true."

Followed by

All of Haltmann's memories have been deleted from the OS. Even his soul--the last trace of Haltmann--has vanished. Star Dream has gone from a near-perfect being to a cold, mindless machine.

You should play the DKC series. ^^

I've played every DKC game to 100%(or 102%, or whatever each particular one goes to). The only thing I like about the water levels is the music. DKC water levels are interminably long boring corridors with giant hit boxes on the monkeys (the SNES ones). Tropical Freeze was slightly better for water levels, but they were still my least favourite in the game, and Sea Breeze Cove is my least favourite world in the game. Plus, I said water world. Most of the DKC games don't have a water world. 1, 2 and returns don't. My statement stands. Water worlds in platformers are generally mediocre, and Robobot's is grrrrrreat. :)

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I did Boss arena, Metaknight mode, 3D arena and Kirby Team clash so all I have left is true arena left to do.

Also Poison is just amazing on bosses, it just whittle down their HP like nothing.

Kirby's too slow in the water.

Yeah Kirby doesn't control well in water and he's too defenseless in water as well.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I've not been moving on until I have all cubes in a level and so far that's worked out fine. 4-2's third cube is stumping me though. What am I missing? I can see there must be a way to get a mech but wheeeere.

If you're still stumped:
in the puzzle room where you blow the poison clouds, above where the chest is there's a grate, you can go up to that area and get the robot there

Dyna

lol I find those reactions kind of funny considering reviews mention it.

Not everyone reads reviews before getting a game and I don't really understand what you're getting at with your post anyway. If a review spoils something about a game do you think it's okay to then blurt out the spoiled things in the game's discussion thread?

Mr-Joker

Banned
Tried out True Arena...I got my little Kirby butt handed to me on round 4. <(;_;)>

So I tried again but I was taking too much damaged on round 2 so I just decided to call it quit while I am ahead, so I am officially finished with Kirby Planet Robobot.

Honestly I enjoyed my time playing the game, with the music being the major highlight but I can't help for feel disappointed that they didn't play much with the mech as I wanted to see other transformation.

Also surprised that they didn't do a submarine mech.

NateDrake

Not everyone reads reviews before getting a game and I don't really understand what you're getting at with your post anyway. If a review spoils something about a game do you think it's okay to then blurt out the spoiled things in the game's discussion thread?

Nintendo embargoes are designed to keep reviews from spoiling things for people. The fact the company allowed us to share such a mode exists in the game proves it isn't that big of a deal. To each their own, but I don't consider that a spoiler when it's openly discussed in reviews and other coverage.

This is the first Kirby game I have enjoyed. Finished the game this morning, debating getting all the side collectibles. Does it unlock anything new? cutscenes? Do stickers actually alter mech behavior?

The cubes unlock more game modes. The stickers don't unlock anything, and are used for 2 decals on your mech.

MrBadger

Tried out True Arena...I got my little Kirby butt handed to me on round 4. <(;_;)>

So I tried again but I was taking too much damaged on round 2 so I just decided to call it quit while I am ahead, so I am officially finished with Kirby Planet Robobot.

Honestly I enjoyed my time playing the game, with the music being the major highlight but I can't help for feel disappointed that they didn't play much with the mech as I wanted to see other transformation.

Also surprised that they didn't do a submarine mech.

I agree about the mechs, I was expecting way more from them after the third stage randomly had a screen filling boss show up that you had to unscrew to destroy.
Then that turned out to be the only mech-exclusive boss fight, excluding the halberd sequence. So it almost feels like the mech gimmick peaked at the third stage.

The game had its share of crazy surprises, I just wish more of them were based around the mechs. They were definitely more fun than TD and RTDL's gimmicks though, which felt purely spectacle-based.

Berordn

This is the first Kirby game I have enjoyed. Finished the game this morning, debating getting all the side collectibles. Does it unlock anything new? cutscenes? Do stickers actually alter mech behavior?

There is a cutscene from getting 100% completion, which requires collecting all 200 stickers and all the code cubes.

It's completely shippable, but you'll probably want enough cubes to unlock all the game modes.

Puruzi

Banned

It's not a spoiler

Narroo

Oh lord, that was annoying: Spoilers:
I was doing the true arena with the Hunter and "killed" the heart for my first time. It started doing it's final 3 attacks, and I thought I might as well use camouflage to avoid it since it's invincible to near everything. Apparently the final set of attacks break through Camo; I got hit and killed. I was two easy jumps away from clearing it. I had to REDO THE ENTIRE ARENA AGAIN.

And the bright side, I did finally beat it and I found out the 'heart; has a second boss description during the final three attacks after you kill it. I was a bit disappointed that there was no outro scene. The 'true final boss' sequence does contradict the story mode sequence a bit.

Also, I'm a bit miffed that Haltmann apparently dies a horrible death while Susie gives the thumbs up and jets off....make sure you read the boss flavor text, especially Susie and Haltmann 2.0, as well as the final boss. The ending is kinda screwed up.

Berordn

Oh lord, that was annoying: Spoilers:
Also, I'm a bit miffed that Haltmann apparently dies a horrible death while Susie gives the thumbs up and jets off....make sure you read the boss flavor text, especially Susie and Haltmann 2.0, as well as the final boss. The ending is kinda screwed up.

Last block:

It's not completely undeserved, I suppose. He spent so long devoting time to his company to bring Susie back that he doesn't seem to realize that it's okay to stop and she's been in front of him the whole time. In the meantime Haltmann Works has been doing some pretty horrific things and building some pretty terrible weaponry.

Hey dumb question but how many Code Cubes do you need before you can face the boss of the world? Like is it only one per level? It's not something that effects me because I always try to get every Cube before I finish a level but I was curious because I thought it was weird that this game might lock progression if you didn't get these things and I don't remember past Kirby games having this.

El Odio

Banned
Hey dumb question but how many Code Cubes do you need before you can face the boss of the world? Like is it only one per level? It's not something that effects me because I always try to get every Cube before I finish a level but I was curious because I thought it was weird that this game might lock progression if you didn't get these things and I don't remember past Kirby games having this.
Trpile Deluxe locked the bosses behind a set amount of Sunstones which were that games code cubes. I'm in the same situation where I'm collecting all of them so far so I've never been blocked but I'm just assuming it's the amount of cubes that float in to open the path.

Narroo

Last block:

It's not completely undeserved, I suppose. He spent so long devoting time to his company to bring Susie back that he doesn't seem to realize that it's okay to stop and she's been in front of him the whole time. In the meantime Haltmann Works has been doing some pretty horrific things and building some pretty terrible weaponry.

Yeah, but
what about Susie? She was the actual stakeholder and possible architect of the invasion. She was just as on-board for "eradicating" the natives and turned Metaknight into a silly cyborg because she thought he was cool. Then, she back-stabs Haltmann and basically kills him (never bothering to tell him she's his daughter) and never shows any regret. She gives everyone a thumbs up, similes, and jets off in the end. She got off completely scott free. The girl's a sociopath.

The whole time I was hoping she'd remain the villain and not pass the villain card onto someone else. It was pretty predictable that the cute girl would end up needing to be saved from the real villain which was both predictable, and this case really screwed up.

Spierek

My copy arrived today, I'll probably start playing it over the weekend. Excited to see that people are happy with the game.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Oh, so are the descriptions on the pause menu
from the P.O.V. of the bad guys? That's kind of neat.

Kangi

ESP is fantastic. Just teleporting around to get out of danger, laying waste to the whole screen... Could use more abilities, though.

The game as a whole is fantastic too, of course. I'll admit I doubted remarks calling this game better than Triple Deluxe, but so far it has yet to disappoint. On to world 3.

Top Bottom