• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby: Planet Robobot |OT| A Transformative Mechstravaganza

Velcro Fly

Halfway done with world 6! Close to 150 stickers too. Thinking I'll finish the main game tomorrow and then move on to other modes next week. Not sure if I will have the patience for True Arena since I'm playing a lot of other games.

Game is definitely awesome. Looking forward to
Meta Knightmare Returns

Narroo

Just beat the game! Had a lot of fun with it. Wish there were main bosses that could be fought with the mecha but other than that and the bad framerate with 3D no complaints.

Was I the only one who decided to take on the bosses with no copy powers to make then more challenging?

I've been doing that a bit too now that I've %100 'ed the game. The
D.D.D. Cannon Boss
so much more sense now - and is a bit more fun. Particularly the True Arena version. I know that the bosses are really designed with Powerless Kirby in mind, but this really hammers it home.

True Arena is crazy difficult with Blank Kirby though. It's a shame, I really want to play around with the bonus bosses without having to deal with all the other bosses; we really need a boss select option.

SerTapTap

Beat the final boss. Great kirby game. My only complaints is, yeah, it feels visually a lot like 3DX, but the robot theme makes up for it--you can tell they had a ton of fun designing levels for it. Also the sub games seem too small, especially 3D Rumble...but were're probably going to get expanded eshop versions of both like last time.

Final boss is just perfect though. Can't wait ti see what it looks like in EX form.

Don't forget to play the EX stages! I only played one but it's FULL of amazing remixes of older themes

I just played True Arena with one of the cheap powers, Spark. (Pro-tip: Mash all the buttons, get a shield, and throw it at enemies for massive damage.) It's amazingly intense. I literally jumped out of my seat in glory after defeating a couple of the last bosses.

But then I got KO'd right before the final round.

Stupid Galactic Knight... I can't even beat him in the Wii game, what made me think I could beat a stronger version of him in the 3DS game with only half my health?
Any tips to beat that boss (including just "git good"? lol

Extra spoiler only for those who've gotten to the final round of true arena:
I noticed some extra boss music in the sound test, so I'm guessing True Arena has an extra boss, like Kirby: Triple Deluxe. It's basically the only thing I really want to see right now...

XaosWolf

Really can't believe how amazing the finale of this game is.
As a long-time Kirby fan, (End Boss spoilers)
the attack pattern and chipping the armour off Star Dream to reveal THAT face again made me say "NO FUCKING WAY!" ...and then the Gurren Lagann goes off the charts.

The entire thing managed to beat the ending to Triple Deluxe and I am impressed with how the Kirby team manages to always crank things up for the last levels and bosses so consistently.

Still gotta get through the True Arena but god damn if I'm not looking forward to the end of that. =D

I beat it. and it was longer than I thought it was going to be. Longer than Triple Deluxe took me. My final time was 9hr 25min, and that was only playing the stages once and getting all the code cubes my first go (except that one you had to
blow away the smog with umbrellabot, that's the only stage in the game where a cube had me playing multiple times to find it
). Not an ounce of filler in this game.

And that end boss! I thought the second last boss was the end boss, and it was really good, but everyone hyped the end boss so much that I was a little disappointed. And then the end boss came and
I played the best Starfox boss I've played since Starfox 64. Yes I've played Starfox Zero :p

Having just finished a Kirby marathon before this game, this one is top top top tier Kirby. Might be my new favourite.

Kangi

Yeah the game having
a legitimate shocker like that in the final boss
is great, and keeps things fresh after RTDL
retreaded the Marx plotline
and 3D
sorta did the usual Kirby thing
. And (extra mode spoilers)
getting to fight Dark Matter is great, even though I'm losing faith in Zero ever showing up again

On the whole, I think it edges out Triple Deluxe, even though I slightly preferred the level design in 3D; the superior array of copy abilities and more memorable bosses puts PR over.

Now when's Whip getting the boot and Tornado coming back?

Velcro Fly

Finished the game.

Final boss stuff was amazing.

Deciding how much I want to frustrate myself with Arena. I cleared it on Triple Deluxe though.

Definitely going to grind out the last 30 or so common stickers I need and do
Meta Knightmare Returns
before I fully move on to something else.

Narroo

Yeah the game having
a legitimate shocker like that in the final boss
is great, and keeps things fresh after RTDL
retreaded the Marx plotline
and 3D
sorta did the usual Kirby thing
. And (extra mode spoilers)
getting to fight Dark Matter is great, even though I'm losing faith in Zero ever showing up again

On the whole, I think it edges out Triple Deluxe, even though I slightly preferred the level design in 3D; the superior array of copy abilities and more memorable bosses puts PR over.

Now when's Whip getting the boot and Tornado coming back?

Tornado is boring and broken...whip is just boring. I want the Yoyo back!

Berordn

So hey I love you guys and I made you these avatars

a_comic_dan5buns.png
a_comic_dededei4uot.png

a_comic_kirbyagu10.png
a_comic_krackoreuf4.png

a_comic_mkqruyw.png
a_comic_whispyn2uwk.png

a_manga_bonkers2uu57.png
a_manga_dan4nu71.png

a_manga_dedede5hu29.png
a_manga_frostyj8u23.png

a_manga_kirby5tuuh.png
a_manga_mkr4ubi.png

I was totally going to use Mr. Frosty myself but I'm too attached to He Fit Trainer still.

Ooo, please do this. Despite having played many of the Kirby games, I've done a terrible job of keeping track of the continuing plot elements. A thread about it would not only be fun but helpful.

Still working on it! Actually replaying all of the recent games to make sure I'm not (completely) talking out my ass.

Narroo

a_comic_dan5buns.png
a_comic_dededei4uot.png

a_comic_kirbyagu10.png
a_comic_krackoreuf4.png

a_comic_mkqruyw.png
a_comic_whispyn2uwk.png

a_manga_bonkers2uu57.png
a_manga_dan4nu71.png

a_manga_dedede5hu29.png
a_manga_frostyj8u23.png

a_manga_kirby5tuuh.png
a_manga_mkr4ubi.png

I wish you could use the stickers on your 3DS home screen, similar to those stickers from that free-to-play game. I have no idea why you can't since the stickers are basically useless otherwise and a pain to collect for %100 completion. It'll also be a great selling point.

Zetty

Neo Member
Quick question: Should I be finishing all the regular levels before going into the EX ones? I have a habit of doing them (bonus stages in most games) immediately as they open up in the world; does it matter (ie, some sort of theme between the EX levels on each world)?

^I don't think it really matters, EX stages tend to be a visual lump of an entire worlds themes with a host of music throwbacks.

Seemingly I've been sleeping on mirror as an ability.
While I do like this game a lot more than Triple deluxe I will say I preferred that games batch of copy abilities, I miss my needle and beetle. Also kinda bums me out that they kept Circus over Bell and Beetle as far as the new TD abilities go, circus ain't too bad but it always felt a bit unwieldy to me, like a clusterfuck of ideas that don't entirely mesh. I find that Doctor takes a similar approach except like a lot better

Also only just found out that for the last 3 games the fire ability has this neat rolling gimmick and the ability to set yourself on fire when stationary, neat.

This and Hunter/Arrow are probably the best.

The ability sounds so plain on paper but god it's good, so very good.

Berordn

I wish you could use the stickers on your 3DS home screen, similar to those stickers from that free-to-play game. I have no idea why you can't since the stickers are basically useless otherwise and a pain to collect for %100 completion. It'll also be a great selling point.

Being able to use them on the Robobot Armor is already 100% more useful than the keychains in TD but I really don't get why they only let Badge Arcade do it.

It'd be a great substitute for achievements.

NEO0MJ

Tornado is boring and broken...whip is just boring. I want the Yoyo back!

Yeah, Tornado was pretty much scrub mode.

I was totally going to use Mr. Frosty myself but I'm too attached to He Fit Trainer still:

Can I request a clean image of
Star Dream in Nova form?
Tried taking screenshot but couldn't extract it.

Berordn

Can I request a clean image of
Star Dream in Nova form?
Tried taking screenshot but couldn't extract it.

I can give it a shot,
True Arena or story mode?

True Arena was some bullshit in Triple Deluxe, I can't imagine it being any different here.

I think it's a smidge easier actually, but perhaps that's only because there's more absurdly destructive abilities this time.

Berordn

Story mode, please. There's one that easy to use in the cutscene section, where it's firing its laser at Kirby-Halberd.

The letterboxing on the cutscene of it cuts it off a bit, but I'll see if I can pull anything out of that.

I don't have any direct rip from the 3DS so it'll be through Miiverse which may not be prettiest but I should be able to nab something.

Sciz

I don't believe you! That's impossible!

Did they remove it for Amazing Mirror and Squeak Squad? is my life a lie?

Probably! Those games were built on top of Nightmare in Dream Land, and they didn't bother polishing all of the returning abilities back up to KSS levels.

The fire ball roll attack was in KSS, I think the inferno one where you set yourself on fire wasn't till RtDL though.

Nah, self-immolation was always a thing. Third row from the bottom.

Probably! Those games were built on top of Nightmare in Dream Land, and they didn't bother polishing all of the returning abilities back up to KSS levels.

That would make sense, I didn't play SS until Ultra so I never thought to think that fire would have a more expansive moveset in the past.

SerTapTap

I actually love the story stuff in this one, finished everything except TRue Arena yesterday. I'd go on, but I already wrote an article so you can just read that if you're interested.Contains Robbot (and other games) lategame/postgame spoilers, discusses the series canon (and how it's starting to have one) and how it's really cool how they hide both a super grim and a super fluffy story in the same package.

Wondering how brutal True Arena is going to be. KSSU is the only one I've beaten so far TBH, need to go back and 100% Return and 3DX

NEO0MJ

I actually love the story stuff in this one, finished everything except TRue Arena yesterday. I'd go on, but I already wrote an article so you can just read that if you're interested.Contains Robbot (and other games) lategame/postgame spoilers, discusses the series canon (and how it's starting to have one) and how it's really cool how they hide both a super grim and a super fluffy story in the same package.

A nice detail is when
before Star Dream summons Galacta Knight it mentions how the previous administrator was against this, probably because tampering with space time in a drastic way is what caused Susie to go missing in the first place and so Max never wanted to open that can of worm(hole) again.

a_comic_dan5buns.png
a_comic_dededei4uot.png

a_comic_kirbyagu10.png
a_comic_krackoreuf4.png

a_comic_mkqruyw.png
a_comic_whispyn2uwk.png

a_manga_bonkers2uu57.png
a_manga_dan4nu71.png

a_manga_dedede5hu29.png
a_manga_frostyj8u23.png

a_manga_kirby5tuuh.png
a_manga_mkr4ubi.png

I was totally going to use Mr. Frosty myself but I'm too attached to He Fit Trainer still.

Still working on it! Actually replaying all of the recent games to make sure I'm not (completely) talking out my ass.

Thanks a lot for these. Will be using the bottom meta knight. :)

While I'm still finding the recent traditional Kirby OSTs (that is RtD, TD and this one) a bit underwhelming compared to the series past exploits I can't deny that this track from some Rhythm Route stages is a jam. (the following one is pretty great as well)

Props also for remixing Sand Canyon 3, slowly but surely Dreamland 3 is getting the remix love.

Simbabbad

Being able to use them on the Robobot Armor is already 100% more useful than the keychains in TD but I really don't get why they only let Badge Arcade do it.

It'd be a great substitute for achievements.
They probably make more money with Badge Arcade than you think. Why give for free what gives you good revenue with minimal cost?

I collected the last two rare stickers, so all I have left is finishing Meta Knightmare and the True Arena.

I played most of the game on my OG 3DS, but I played some Meta Knight on my XL and it's really nice on there.

fhqwhgads

Got through the first two worlds. No kidding about ESP, Hammer and Archer have a new rival for best ability. Really solid so far, and already have half of the stickers thanks to spending a ton of play coins.

Bought a NFC reader just for this game, feels nice to have the Smash ability whenever I feel like it, plus the Dedede Amiibo + Costume is too good to pass up on.

Yeah, ESP is good. I like Smash Bros. too, but don't have an amiibo/NFC reader. I find I like Fighter a lot though.

Meta Knight is super powerful in this game. Wow!

TripOpt55

Enjoying this game so far. Didn't know much about it I guess before playing, but being able to get copy abilities with the mech is amazing. Kind of adds new life to some abilities I am super familiar with. Some neat twists on classic boss fights so far as well.

How many worlds are there? I'm curious how far along I am (Just finished the fourth world).

I tried the true arena since I just unlocked it. I took Fighter ability, but I only made it to the third round. I'll probably have to use archer like I did for Triple Deluxe.

I finished the final boss for the Main Game and
holy crap, that was probably one of the best endings in the Kirby series. Everything about the endgame was both awesome and heartbreaking since Robobot lets Kirby go.

I'm very glad that this game topped Triple Deluxe which was great as well. Only problem that I really have to say is that I wish there were more standard Robobot-exclusive bosses. Other than that though, they managed to make using Robobot Armor feel so natural in stages due to still playing like Kirby (although bulkier) rather than holding it for the end of a level and suddenly playing a theme of it every time it does get used like RTDL and TD.

NEO0MJ

DDD clones are the wall for me in True Arena. I always take at least 50% damage no matter which power I'm using.

Are they really that bad with Kirby? Thought they were one of the easiest bosses with Meta Knight. I only finished the Arena yesterday. Speaking of, I felt it was a little too easy. Health items are too plentiful and can be stacked.

Top Bottom