• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby: Triple Deluxe |OT| Sayo-nara Suck-aaaaaaa

Rizzi

For all the Australians who are looking at buying this, JB Hifi will be selling it for $43.20 tomorrow only, and Big W has it for $48.

Fuck distant traveler man, I almost feel like muting would make this easier listing to the music is distracting me I keep hitting a on the beat and forgetting to skip and a to not high jump to death. Plus small moving drums over high jump sections screw that

3rd wasn't difficult got a gold on my second try can probably plat if I practice (already plat the first two) but this fourth one I've not even seen the end yet damn

Edit: got the gold on distant traveler, can probably plat with a bit more practice but as far as I know there is no reward for all plats

MrBadger

Welp, it's been a long and unnecessary wait but I'm finally able to play this. Just finished the first world and I actually love this game. Graphics are lovely for the 3DS, new copy abilities are great and have a lot of different ways to use them, music is fantastic and I was even impressed by the token Wispy Woods fight. They actually made him interesting for once.

FUCK THESE MOVING DRUMS

I'm so close to getting a plat on this final song and 99% of the time I hit the edge of a moving drum killing my combo

AHHHHHHHHH

ZWfBMWa.jpg

That might be one of the hardest things I've ever done in a Kirby game. All plats woo! Now maybe I should go beat the main game :X

The graphics are beautiful! The whole presentation is great, I fired it up and finished the first level then turned it back off as I still have Super Star, Amazing Mirror and Canvas Curse to beat. Been gorging on Kirby this week. I've neglected the little guy for far too long.

Got this yesterday and the impressions I got from the trailers seems to be on point, it's like Adventure Wii junior, or maybe that should just be Adventure 3DS. The game shares a lot of similarities with the last mainline Kirby game, gear parts are now sun stones, the ultra powerup sections are replaced with hypernova sections and in general the visual style, music and general gameplay sticks to the same book.
This is kind of both a plus and a negative for me, it's a bit too familiar but at least it's working from a strong base.

MrBadger

After playing a few rounds of Kirby Fighters on the highest difficulty, I think this mode is exactly what Kirby needed. I often find myself reading through the descriptions of more complex copy powers and thinking to myself "when would I ever need that? Most enemies die in one hit." And I only ever felt the need to master powers in the various post-game boss rushes. This is a mode where you can really get the most of using copy powers and it's available on the highest difficulty right at the beginning. Just wish every power was included, but ah well. Still a great mode.

I'm looking forward to trying this mode out in multiplayer, too.

TreIII

After playing a few rounds of Kirby Fighters on the highest difficulty, I think this mode is exactly what Kirby needed. I often find myself reading through the descriptions of more complex copy powers and thinking to myself "when would I ever need that? Most enemies die in one hit." And I only ever felt the need to master powers in the various post-game boss rushes. This is a mode where you can really get the most of using copy powers and it's available on the highest difficulty right at the beginning. Just wish every power was included, but ah well. Still a great mode.

Agreed. In fact, I find that Kirby Fighters has enough fundamental differences between itself and Smash, that I'm honestly hoping that maybe Hal would consider the idea of expanding the KF idea to be its own, stand-alone game.

All I'd ask is that instead of Kirby clones, they may consider using the various Enemies/Helpers/Friends, instead. Seeing Rick, Koo and Kine again after so long did my heart good, but they were not PLAYABLE.

MrBadger

Oh my god the
ghost house
stage in world 4 was fantastic. I especially liked that room at the end
with the picture of Magolor hanging on the wall and the Super Mario 64-esque piano.
Also, it's been a while since I've seen a 3DS game actually exploit the 3DS's features like this. I've not turned the slider up in a long time.

Agreed. In fact, I find that Kirby Fighters has enough fundamental differences between itself and Smash, that I'm honestly hoping that maybe Hal would consider the idea of expanding the KF idea to be its own, stand-alone game.

All I'd ask is that instead of Kirby clones, they may consider using the various Enemies/Helpers/Friends, instead. Seeing Rick, Koo and Kine again after so long did my heart good, but they were not PLAYABLE.

I can see it being an appealing eshop game with online play, more powers and of course, helpers instead of multi-coloured Kirbies. Only have Meta-Knight and King Dedede represent Sword and Hammer respectively.

Kirby Fighters is too imbalances and wonky to hold my attention, some powers are just too one dimensional (parasol and whip) and others just have an insane amount of options (sword and fighter).

daydream

Banned
Oddly, I am excited for you. This game arrived in my life just when I needed it to.

It's fun. The stages are nice and meaty in length. The music and graphics are great.

Woo hoo! You're really going to dig it. :)

Well, thanks guys! :) Unfortunately, a friend got sick and I had to fill in for him at this thing and, augh, I've got a face like American Kirby right now. :mad:

Tomorrow, though!

how's the game GAF? i saw the IGN review and they complained it was too easy, anyone else feel the same?

also one last question how well does this game stack up to past kirby games say Amazing Mirror, Nightmare in DreamLand

TheGrue

Yeah, it's easy...it's a Kirby game. That being said, just like I don't play Dark Souls games to have a casual difficulty, I don't play Kirby games for challenge. I just love the level designs and powers and have a great time going through the levels.

Vee_One

Grabbed it today from JB. Seems to be selling well - I grabbed the last copy around 10am from my local.

Played about an hour so far. My only gripe is that the game seems slow - movement etc.

Enjoying it though, the game is vibrant and colorful.

After playing 47 hours of Dark Souls 2 in the last three weeks this is perfect.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Warp Stars are the true evil here. Instead of getting Kirby to where he needs to go, they first seek out things to clobber! Waddle Dee's sleeping in an igloo is to cute! Waddle Dee's running a rotating spike death tree are not! All this foreground/background stuff is real cool btw. Why didn't we have this kinda design stuff in the 16-bit days or did we an I just missed it?

I'm curious if any of you think this is a game that would be worth downloading digitally as opposed to picking up a boxed copy.

What would you say the replay value is like?

Beat the game a few days ago. Loved it when
the Masked Dedede's Revenge battle played with dat music and inhaling the HP bar during the Hypernova Whispy Woods rematch

Now to go through the post-game stuff. Also picked up Superstar Ultra recently so I'll be playing through that.

Almost beat
True Arena
. Archer doesn't have crazy power like Beetle, but it makes up for it with the fact that pressing down makes Kirby completely invincible outside of Kirby Fighters.

OmegaFax

Almost beat
True Arena
. Archer doesn't have crazy power like Beetle, but it makes up for it with the fact that pressing down makes Kirby completely invincible outside of Kirby Fighters.

Barely beat it with mostly Hammer Kirby. His down and dash attacks make him invulnerable and do a lot of damage to bosses. Had to beat the very last boss with normal Kirby ... and that was dumb luck. You definitely need to keep the Red Tomato until the very end unless you're really good.

Barely beat it with mostly Hammer Kirby. His down and dash attacks make him invulnerable and do a lot of damage to bosses. Had to beat the very last boss with normal Kirby ... and that was dumb luck. You definitely need to keep the Red Tomato until the very end unless you're really good.

I actually killed myself in the last fight. Lost Archer, so I sucked up a star... in midair...

Found a cool hidden area in 6-1, although I thought it would give more keychains (although I found a rare one later in the level.
After the miniboss, you can fly up the top right part. Follow the path left to the mustard. Then fly up and you can enter the moon.

Found a cool hidden area in 6-1, although I thought it would give more keychains (although I found a rare one later in the level.
After the miniboss, you can fly up the top right part. Follow the path left to the mustard. Then fly up and you can enter the moon.

You'll also want to
fly into the moon in the final EX stage, right next to the exit
... you should've heard my delighted laughter <3

Robin64

If only those people played Yoshi going for 100% in each level, that will make the game harder than any modern 2D Nintendo platformer except maybe DK....

A little OT, but I just got Yoshi's New Island and I'm not moving past a stage until I get 100%. ;)

How are you enjoying it, Robin? I tried that, but couldn't find a couple of coins in the 1st world without looking it up :( So I went ahead and beat it normally.

Rizzi

This game is charming as hell.
Coming off Cave Story it's nice to have a game that doesn't seem to want to murder me every two seconds.

so1337

This is actually my first Kirby game (other than Canvas Curse) since Dream Land 2. I like it a lot so far. Sucking up an entire tree is pretty radical.

Rizzi

The only other Kirby game I've played is the first Gameboy one. And I was like six years old. :p
So this is a little different, hah.

L~A

Cross-posting from the NPD thread

LOL at Mario, Kirby is da bessssssss

Pretty good numbers, since those are for only the first 2 days.

How are you enjoying it, Robin? I tried that, but couldn't find a couple of coins in the 1st world without looking it up :( So I went ahead and beat it normally.

What coins? Do you mean the sun stones? They're not too hard to find... Unless you mean the keyrings?

daydream

Banned
This game is wonderful. I'm already enamoured with.. everything, haha. I've played the first four Story levels which were great, they poured a lot of creativity into every single detail, clearly. It's also crazy to me how good the sidegames are. Really hope I can play Kirby Fighters locally sometime, that's a great addition. And Dedede's Drum Dash, oh my. Probably the real reason they named it Triple Deluxe. I love rhythm games, and getting platinum medals in this seems quite challenging, indeed. Fantastic side activity.

Speaking of rhythm, all the music tracks so far have been either great or amazing. Listening to the menu music while typing this, it really reminds me of Zelda's Fairy Fountain/File Select themes. It is equally beautiful and serene.

Love the keychains, also! Only one small gripe so far: I feel like the running speed should be the same as in Kirby Fighters after getting the shoe upgrade. Seems to me that's how it's been in earlier games. Or maybe the speed is the same and the running animation is tripping me up?

MrBadger

Final boss was a real spectacle. One of the better final boss sequences in Kirby.
I really enjoyed the fight with Axe Dedede and Taranza. Their attack patterns were frantic and interesting. A giant flower for the final boss is a nice change from a cloaked magician. Music was great and I loved the entire sequence. The final phase was pushing it a bit, but that finishing move was great. And now to start Dedede mode and get to Meta Knight

Started playing this yesterday, and have all the sunstones though the first three worlds. It's pretty fun so far... The music, abilities, bossfights, and level design have been pretty good. A bit too easy for my liking, even by Kirby's standards. This is only my fourth Kirby game (Epic Yarn, Amazing Mirror, Mass Attack). I'm not blown away, but it definitely has it's moments.

Rich!

I want this game, but I'm short of cash.

I'm going to play through Kirby Super Deluxe three times and pretend I'm playing this shit.

this game looks amazing. Kirby Return to Dreamland is second only to Super Star imo, and this looks like a good contender to the throne

Kazerei

Banned
I'm curious if any of you think this is a game that would be worth downloading digitally as opposed to picking up a boxed copy.

What would you say the replay value is like?

The main story mode has some collectibles, so you'll probably run through the levels again if you missed something. But once you've got everything, that's about it.

The replay value largely comes from getting high scores or fast times in the side modes. So it depends on how much you like these modes.

Dedede Tour is a harder version of the story mode in which you play as King Dedede. You can only save at the end of each world, enemies take more hits, and bosses are remixed. You're being timed so the goal is to get through as fast as possible.

The Arena is basically boss rush mode. Again, the goal is to get a fast time.

Dedede's Drum Dash is a rhythm platforming game with four levels. Like a traditional platformer, your goal is to navigate the hazards and grab coins scattered throughout the levels for a high score. Dedede automatically bounces off the drums to the rhythm, but if you press A on the beat, he'll bounce higher. Pressing A on the backbeat also boosts your score.

Kirby Fighters is a fighting game similar to Smash Bros, featuring 10 of Kirby's copy abilities. Unfortunately there's no online multiplayer, but there is local multiplayer with download play, so only one copy of the game is needed. In single player, there's an arcade mode with 7 rounds and 4 difficulty levels. You can also just play a versus round with 1 to 3 CPUs.

I think if you have friends with 3DSs, Kirby Fighters could be real worth it to have digitally. The rest of the stuff, I don't think has huge replay value unless you really like speed running.

MrBadger

Just beat
Dedede tour
and I enjoyed it for what it was.
The new boss was just as good as all the other bosses in the game and I was happy to see Dark Meta Knight (executing his revenge on a character who wasn't even in Amazing Mirror) instead of Galacta Knight or regular ol' Meta Knight. Nice change, and his attack patterns were interesting. My only problem with him was I felt having mandatory hammer broke the fight a little. Too easy to exploit invulnerability and it's a shame the only way to fight him with the sword is in the true arena (I assume).

Now, onto the
true arena! I wonder what awaits me at the end.

Holy crap this game has a story!?

Seriously gonna info dump it at the very last level/boss?

I'm not sure if that was a good way of doing it or not. On one hand, it woulda been nice to learn more about the world we were in beforehand, on the other, I found myself skipping even the briefest of cutscenes and I never used to read a word Magalor said in RTDL since I just wanted to go back to playing the game.

So,
I beat The True Arena
, but I'm still only at 92%. I suppose I need to collect all of the keychains? Perhaps beat every level of Drum Dash? Probably beat Kirby Fighters with every ability? Ah, well. I suppose we shall see.

Just beat
Dedede tour
and I enjoyed it for what it was.
The new boss was just as good as all the other bosses in the game and I was happy to see Dark Meta Knight (executing his revenge on a character who wasn't even in Amazing Mirror) instead of Galacta Knight or regular ol' Meta Knight. Nice change, and his attack patterns were interesting. My only problem with him was I felt having mandatory hammer broke the fight a little. Too easy to exploit invulnerability and it's a shame the only way to fight him with the sword is in the true arena (I assume).

Now, onto the
true arena! I wonder what awaits me at the end.

I'm not sure if that was a good way of doing it or not. On one hand, it woulda been nice to learn more about the world we were in beforehand, on the other, I found myself skipping even the briefest of cutscenes and I never used to read a word Magalor said in RTDL since I just wanted to go back to playing the game.

Remember,
even in Amazing Mirror, Dark Meta Knight wouldn't give you a sword to fight with. It's part of what lets you know he's not the real Meta Knight.

goldenpp72

So,
I beat The True Arena
, but I'm still only at 92%. I suppose I need to collect all of the keychains? Perhaps beat every level of Drum Dash? Probably beat Kirby Fighters with every ability? Ah, well. I suppose we shall see.

Remember,
even in Amazing Mirror, Dark Meta Knight wouldn't give you a sword to fight with. It's part of what lets you know he's not the real Meta Knight.

All of the above, I was stuck at 98 percent until I found every rare and normal keychain, and both fighter and the drum game count towards the percentage. Not sure if the platinum/very hard wins do though, but I did those as well.

NEO0MJ

Just beat the first three worlds, made sure not to miss any sun pieces. Having a lot of fun and enjoyed all the new transformations, except for Archer.
Made it a rule for me to try and beat the bosses with just vanilla Kirby, though I'll probably drop it near the end..

daydream

Banned
Just beat the first three worlds, made sure not to miss any sun pieces. Having a lot of fun and enjoyed all the new transformations, except for Archer.
Made it a rule for me to try and eat the bosses with just vanilla Kirby, though I'll probably drop it near the end..

Haha, I'm always tempted to go for that, as well. That's how I played Dream Land 2 back in the day. I think you lost your powers for the bosses in that one, anyway, iirc.

Astral Dog

I think i am more impressed by this games graphics than Tropical Freeze (considering the hardware) , this is surely one of the best looking 3ds games
and i miss the tornado and wáter transformations :/

Top Bottom