• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby's Epic Yarn |OT| The Grass Feels Like...Pants

Downhome said:
I just got this from Blockbuster in the B1G1 deal. I've only played a few levels, but I must say that so far it is one of the most satisfying, and relaxing, games I've ever experienced.

My girlfriend loves coop in this game with me. It is frustration proof.

Mike M

Nick N
Picked this up at Costco for 15 bucks. Only got as far as beating Fangora, but the art style in this game is fantastic. The gameplay vaguely reminds me of the very first Kirby where he had access to all his moves from the word go and didn't acquire anything from inhaling enemies.

I'm hoping there's *some* increase in challenge though, as so far it has been completely devoid of it. I know Kirby can't die, but I've snagged every treasure and gold medaled every stage so far with no effort whatsoever. Is there anything later in the game that's well hidden or requires some degree of play forming finesse to reach?

Still, for 15 bucks, I don't regret the purchase at all. I can always put it away for when my kids are old enough to play games after I'm through with it.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Mike M said:
Picked this up at Costco for 15 bucks. Only got as far as beating Fangora, but the art style in this game is fantastic. The gameplay vaguely reminds me of the very first Kirby where he had access to all his moves from the word go and didn't acquire anything from inhaling enemies.

I'm hoping there's *some* increase in challenge though, as so far it has been completely devoid of it. I know Kirby can't die, but I've snagged every treasure and gold medaled every stage so far with no effort whatsoever. Is there anything later in the game that's well hidden or requires some degree of play forming finesse to reach?

Still, for 15 bucks, I don't regret the purchase at all. I can always put it away for when my kids are old enough to play games after I'm through with it.

Things do get well hidden later in the game and there's a number of secret levels in each world all the way to the end. Getting 100% isn't easy; it's a bit tricky.

Just an FYI this game is $8 on Bestbuy.com. I just blind bought it....did I make a wise or poor decision gaf?

Definitely a wise decision. If you like great level design, great music, great artwork, and a game that pulls it all together with a bit of challenge to 100%. Then you'll love it.

One of my fav's of last year.

Definitely a wise decision. If you like great level design, great music, great artwork, and a game that pulls it all together with a bit of challenge to 100%. Then you'll love it.

One of my fav's of last year.

Yea I love platformers though I never really got into the Kirby games. I'm thrilled that for Christmas I'll be able to play this, Sonic CD, Sonig Generations, and Rayman Origins. It's like plat former heaven.

Davey Cakes

I finally started playing Epic Yarn, after buying it at Best Buy for 8 bucks and putting it off for a bit.

For a game where you literally can't lose, it's really fun. The controls are perfect, and the visuals are beautiful. The soundtrack is so damn good and comforting.

It reminds me of another Good Feel game, Wario Land: Shake It! That is, when it comes to finding treasures. I actually enjoy the simplicity of it in Kirby, though. Collecting gems for a gold medal and finding all three treasures makes for a simple but compelling task. Some of the "objectives" in Wario Land were a bit much for me as I got farther into the game; basically I don't like having to replay levels over and over because not all objectives can be completed on one or even two level play throughs. I also lost interest in running from the end of the level to the beginning; that just got old.

The soundtrack is much like Wario's though, because of all the piano work. Definitely a plus, since Wario had some great tracks as well.

So yeah, I'm only partway into World 2 but so far this game is ace. It's perfect for a low-intensity gaming experience. Right now I'm playing Sweet Home for the first time, and that's a survival/horror RPG, which requires a bit more planning and dedication. It can be pretty intense. Kirby's Epic Yarn serves as the perfect break.

Amory

Man, this game is great. I expected to like the visuals a lot (and I do!), but I was surprised at how solid the platforming is despite being such an easy game. Everything feels really precise, and it's still a little bit of a challenge to find all the hidden items and get enough gems to get a gold medal in each stage.

I also like finding the items needed to put rooms together and get tenants to move in. It's gotten me to say "oh, one more level, maybe I'll find something I need" quite a few times.

It's nice to take a break from more intense titles and play this for a while. Everything about it is so soothing.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I started playing this tonight with my three year old daughter.

If yall thought co-op was fun, it's much more fun with a little kid. She giggles at everything in the game. The car "beep beep" is her favorite!

Finally opened opened my sealed copy and the Mrs. gave it a whirl on the Wii U. This is a beautiful title and it looks even better played through the Wii U on my HDTV. I've seen it played on the Wii before and it looked good but it looks even better now. I wanted to bump this thread so for anyone who hasn't bought this game to take another look at Epic Yarn, especially since it's so cheap at GS.

Davey Cakes

The game is definitely a looker. Wonderful art style that works amazingly well on the Wii.

The best sub-10 dollar "super deal" game that I've bought. While there wasn't much difficulty to it, collecting everything for 100% was an addictive endeavor.

Highly recommended, especially if you enjoy more laid back platformers. Can usually be found for less than $20 at this point.

Top Bottom