• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby's Epic Yarn |OT| The Grass Feels Like...Pants

Just got 100%.

What an enjoyable game, I was hooked. It's pretty different than most Kirby games, but that's not a bad thing.

Wasn't difficult, other than a few moderately challenging places. Even the last boss was easy, which is usually quite hard in Kirby games. But even if there are no deaths, losing beads feels worse the way the made it.

Truth is they made the gold medal requirements too lax in all but a few levels. You could skip half the beads and still get gold. It's not like in Wario Land Shake where if you screwed a few times you had to restart the level to get the high-score mission. I think the game would have benefited for more challenge there. I mean, even the missions where not hard at all save for a couple.

Everything points to a Good Feel Yoshi Island in the near future. I'd prefer Nintendo to do it, yeah, but they aren't going to, and Artoon did a great job with YIDS. Plus, Nintendo did make Yoshi's Story :p

I love this game and while you cant die, losing beads and not getting gold is punishment enough, I seriously get stressed out on some levels..

edit: my wife loves that she cant die and just cruises the levels while trying to collect beads, meanwhile she shut off DKCR.

Anyone still playing? I have beaten everything in the game (except for 2 or 3 gold medals, which I don't think count) and am still missing 2 pieces of fabric.

Edit: I figured it out; just had to play a couple levels to trigger Kirby's friends to come over and "play" to give me fabric.

I logged over 24 hours in the game...soo good.

Gameboy415

I just finished the game a few nights ago and I absolutely LOVED it!
I strongly agree with the previous posts likening it to Yoshi's Island (one of my all-time favorite games) - almost all of the transformations were really fun.

I just have to finish up a few of the neighbor challenges and I'll have 100% completion. :D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I love and hate this game. It's both easy but sometimes the special items are one chance only and if you miss, you have to redo the whole damn stage. Boo.

Still, it's the game I wish Little Big Planet was in terms of the platforming. I mean, they both go for the same aesthetic but Kirby is fun and not as punishing.

Oli

firehawk12 said:
I love and hate this game. It's both easy but sometimes the special items are one chance only and if you miss, you have to redo the whole damn stage. Boo.

Still, it's the game I wish Little Big Planet was in terms of the platforming. I mean, they both go for the same aesthetic but Kirby is fun and not as punishing.

Hate, hate, HATE that part. And all collection based games that do it for that matter. The one sour part of an otherwise great game in my opinion. Still enjoyed the ride, but yeah that bit sucked, especially for someone with OCD...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oli said:
Hate, hate, HATE that part. And all collection based games that do it for that matter. The one sour part of an otherwise great game in my opinion. Still enjoyed the ride, but yeah that bit sucked, especially for someone with OCD...

Yup, I just had to learn to give up and move on and just enjoy the Kirby-ness. The remix of Green Greens was just so awesome to hear. :lol

Oli said:

So this game is too hard? :lol

Only level where this could be annoying is Castle Dedede in the bomb room. Had to play the level three times, but when you're ignoring beads, you can just speed through it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Allan Holdsworth said:
So this game is too hard? :lol

Only level where this could be annoying is Castle Dedede in the bomb room. Had to play the level three times, but when you're ignoring beads, you can just speed through it.

One of the space levels has the bullet train things that, if you miss the jump, you basically lose the opportunity to pick up the object. A few of the levels are like that, IIRC.

I'm playing through the JP version of this game right now. I'm up to the beach/water area right now. Since I don't speak Japanese, the cutscenes made no sense at all until I read the OP of this thread.

It's a weird game. It's ridiculously easy if you just want to beat the level, but the real fun is to try and get through the level while collecting everything, getting gold and not getting hit or falling into a pit. It's like twin difficulty levels built-in.

It's also beautiful.

Entertainment Weekly ranked Kirby's Epic Yarn as the Worst Game of the Year, based on nothing more than being over the top cute.

farnham

Banned
cartman414 said:
Entertainment Weekly ranked Kirby's Epic Yarn as the Worst Game of the Year, based on nothing more than being over the top cute.
so worse then doa xtreme which is just "sexy(?)"

So I beat the game last night (and by beat, I mean I played every level. I'm only at ~90%, but I don't feel like going back and getting every single item I missed). It's a really good game and I'm glad I bought it. I could have done without the sing-song Japanese kindergarten teacher voiceover during the cutscenes, but it's a lot of fun.

Did anyone else decorate the house, have Kirby sit down on a couch or bed next to stuffed toy versions of Dedede or an enemy and just go "Awwwwww"?

whitehawk

Banned
I don't really like this game. Mostly because it is NOT a kirby game. This is because it is too slow for one thing. You also can not suck up enemies and get their abilities. You can't die. You can't fly.

It's just not Kirby, and it's boring even if I try to disassociate it from Kirby.

whitehawk said:
I don't really like this game. Mostly because it is NOT a kirby game. This is because it is too slow for one thing. You also can not suck up enemies and get their abilities. You can't die. You can't fly.

It's just not Kirby, and it's boring even if I try to disassociate it from Kirby.

Agreed, it's amazing and better than every Kirby game before it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
well, I 100%ed this and hate myself for it.

fun game.

Hiltz

As much as I love Kirby in traditional platformers with his original abilities, there's nothing wrong with Nintendo using him for other game concepts if he fits in well. I mean, Canvas Curse turned out to be a fun, innovative, and clever title.

The cuteness factor of Kirby and his transforming nature made him a more appealing character to use in Epic Yarn.Quite frankly, I think Epic Yarn wouldn't have been as exciting if Kirby didn't take over Prince Fluff's position (besides he was basically a Kirby knock off anyway). I mean, the original enemies and bosses were mostly forgettable. As for the story? It would have sucked with or without Kirby in it. If anything, the original music would be the only part that would have been great without the classic Kirby tunes. Heck, The Winter level music is incredible.

Salaadin

Sister made me a yarn kirby for christmas.

35kps79.jpg

Hiltz said:
As much as I love Kirby in traditional platformers with his original abilities, there's nothing wrong with Nintendo using him for other game concepts if he fits in well. I mean, Canvas Curse turned out to be a fun, innovative, and clever title.

It's the best Kirby game, no questions asked.

Masked Man

I said wow
Just got this game for Christmas, and it is absolutely breathtaking. The visuals are gorgeous, the soundtrack(!) is simply perfect, and--most of all--the game is fun. I think the last time that I truly enjoyed a game like this was SMG2, and even then it wasn't as fresh and exciting as this game. This game is a masterpiece.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
OK, I just started playing this game, and am up to the second stage, and turned into the tankbot. Problem is, I can't aim up or down! I'm trying to tilt the Wiimote up and down, but it just doesn't respond. What am I doing wrong?

Artanisix

This game is an absolute joy to play with my girlfriend. She loves not being able to die, and we have a lot of good laughs. She does freak out when she loses beads though, which is awesome.

Busaiku

richiek said:
OK, I just started playing this game, and am up to the second stage, and turned into the tankbot. Problem is, I can't aim up or down! I'm trying to tilt the Wiimote up and down, but it just doesn't respond. What am I doing wrong?
Are you tilting like a circle or like a bowl?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Busaiku said:
Are you tilting like a circle or like a bowl?

Like a circle. I'm playing again, and NOW it starts aiming. The Wii Remote must have been screwy or something.

Tron 2.0

I really wanted to like this, but I found the platforming to not be very interesting.

I had the same exact problem with Wario Land: The Shake Dimension. I guess I just don't enjoy Good-Feel games.

Garcia

Count me in for the hating as well.

I just can't stand this game but I will 100% it. I just HAVE to even if it's not a Kirby game. I'm dead serious when I'm telling you there have been several levels (at least 4 so far) where the music has made me and my sister sleepy. For christ sakes, how can the music of a platforming game be its worst offender escapes my mind. The only parts where we've felt we're really playing a kirby game are both the speedruns and the kill the baddies challenges.

Me and my sister have played plenty of Kirby games and we both agree this is by far the worst. Not only as a franchise game but also one ofthe most bland, boring, uninspiring platformers we've ever played.

It's strange how cute and adorable it can be yet how extremely lacking its gameplay is. I mean, we do recognize the effort and love put into the visuals since we've gone "bawww" plenty of times, but god dammit it's such a chore to walkthrough.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Nuclear Muffin said:
Hey guys, time for an EU bump!

My mate got his hands on a copy of the game early, some might be interested to know that the voiceover has been changed! (and yes the immortal line "It feels like... Pants" has been replaced by "It feels like... Trousers" sadly. No dirty connotations for us :( )
Woah, NoE actually bothered to translate the American English to English English.

BGBW said:
Woah, NoE actually bothered to translate the American English to English English.

That's actually very common these days. They didn't used to do this before, but ever since around 2007-2008 they started making lots of little changes like this.

Advance Wars Dark Conflict/Days of Ruin is probably the best example. The entire script is completely different in both games! Most would say that the US version is better (and after having seen both, I would agree that the US version is MASSIVELY better!)

I must be odd. I got this game for Christmas, along with Epic Mickey, and my son got DKCR, Other M and Slapshot.

Epic Yarn is by far my favorite of the whole bunch. Downright charming, relaxing, and beautiful. Game of 2010 for me.

Oxx

Hopefully this isn't as expensive as Nintendo's other 2D platformers.

I'll admit I haven't checked their online prices recently, but seeing NSMBWii and Donkey Kong @ £40+ in game stores makes me cringe.

m.i.s.

Banned
Tron 2.0 said:
I really wanted to like this, but I found the platforming to not be very interesting.

I had the same exact problem with Wario Land: The Shake Dimension. I guess I just don't enjoy Good-Feel games.

Same boat here. I found Good Feel's Wario Land: The Shake Dimension to be totally generic and not worth my time. And at £30, I'm just not prepared to take a punt.

zigg

megashock5 said:
I must be odd. I got this game for Christmas, along with Epic Mickey, and my son got DKCR, Other M and Slapshot.

Epic Yarn is by far my favorite of the whole bunch. Downright charming, relaxing, and beautiful. Game of 2010 for me.

Nah, you're not odd. I liked Epic Yarn most out of EM, DKCR, and Other M too. The only fault I can honestly find with it is the train levels.

Good god, I was right. The whole reason for the delay was that bit of the script.
Trousers? They could have made it shorts...I kind of forgot to mention but the screenshot has been on NOEs site for a bit of time. Good to hear confirmation of the voiceover being the same person, right?

Oh yeah tomorrow in Elephant and Castle (where? somewhere or other) NOE are doing some PR of the game. Including handing out 20 free copies. I'm confused too, NOE, Kirby and PR? Then again a small part of London doesn't consitiute to much. Look what happened with Madworld total bomba (it was decapitated arms and I think the police made them stop) or one of the Rabbids games (I think it was people in Rabbids costumes going round London...).

Nuclear Muffin said:
Advance Wars Dark Conflict/Days of Ruin is probably the best example. The entire script is completely different in both games! Most would say that the US version is better (and after having seen both, I would agree that the US version is MASSIVELY better!)
I think that this one was either 2 seperate translation projects (communication FTW) or the EU version is a first draft included due to the EU production timetable not having time for the final version or other release modifications. In any case anbody is free to make their own conclsusions as both scripts are in an FAQ over at Gamefaqs.

Less massive examples (both ways here) are Another Code and Hotel Dusk (I think these are better examples as they are more the norm). The former has some generic lines like "this shelf has books on" replaced with lines specifiying the books for the US version and Hotel Dusk has some US centric slang cut back a little (they gave examples in an interview no longer on NOEs site, I have text of that somewhere...).

Starwolf_UK said:
Good god, I was right. The whole reason for the delay was that bit of the script.
Trousers? They could have made it shorts...I kind of forgot to mention but the screenshot has been on NOEs site for a bit of time. Good to hear confirmation of the voiceover being the same person, right?

Oh yeah tomorrow in Elephant and Castle (where? somewhere or other) NOE are doing some PR of the game. Including handing out 20 free copies. I'm confused too, NOE, Kirby and PR? Then again a small part of London doesn't consitiute to much. Look what happened with Madworld total bomba (it was decapitated arms and I think the police made them stop) or one of the Rabbids games (I think it was people in Rabbids costumes going round London...).

I think that this one was either 2 seperate translation projects or the EU version is a first draft included due to the EU production timetable not having time for the final version. In any case anbody is free to make their own conclsusions as both scripts are in an FAQ over at Gamefaqs.

I doubt that was the whole reason. NOE can be quick when they want to (Pokemon B&W out in EU before the US?! madness I tells ya!)

They probably felt that they needed something to hold the Wii over during the Q1 period after Zelda was pushed back.

Oh and AWDOR/AWDC is not the only example, almost every game these days have small to large changes in their localisation from NOE, even when they are working from NOA's English script. Spirit Tracks had large changes in dialogue (as well as character and place names) but was clearly based off the original NOA Treehouse script. Metroid Prime 3 also had a couple of small changes (One that's a bit of a meme in my household is the US "Nunchuck is Required" line being changed to "You need the Nunchuck to play this game")

One other change that really grates at me is when they changed Luke's voice in Prof Layton & Pandora's Box. The first game had the same voice as the US version but for some god knows what reason they changed it in the second game and managed to make it sound utterly awful! (not that the US voice was great but at least it was bearable!)

Also what I find interesting is how NOE's localisation team have taken to localising scripts themselves and then having NOA modify them afterwards (Mostly Cing's stuff) as well as Picross DS. I think that they're also responsible for most of the Iwata Asks translations.

Combined with the fact that they held their own publicly broadcast 3DS conference (a first for NOE!) and it's interesting to see how much more influential they've become in recent years!

I'd love to see a site that catalogues these changes. I'm way too lazy to do it myself...

I actually bought this game right when it was released but I just got around to it recently because I had a backlog of games to beat first.
I got the 100% after about 17 hours or so.
It certainly was a very easy game but for some reason, it doesn't seem to hurt it. I felt really relaxed playing through it and the graphics are the most charming I have ever seen in a game.

Also: the music is AMAZING.

added_time said:
I actually bought this game right when it was released but I just got around to it recently because I had a backlog of games to beat first.
I got the 100% after about 17 hours or so.
It certainly was a very easy game but for some reason, it doesn't seem to hurt it. I felt really relaxed playing through it and the graphics are the most charming I have ever seen in a game.

Also: the music is AMAZING.

Did you find it harder with another player? My brother and I kept messing with each other and made it more harder. An example would be him grabbing me with the yarn and throwing me into an enemy with a spear.

I'm still only halfway through the game, but 100% is what I will ultimately aim for.

Warrior_Keoni said:
Did you find it harder with another player? My brother and I kept messing with each other and made it more harder. An example would be him grabbing me with the yarn and throwing me into an enemy with a spear.

I'm still only halfway through the game, but 100% is what I will ultimately aim for.

hmm... I never tried playing with another player so I'm not sure if it would be harder. I remember that New Super Mario Wii was much harder with multiple players but in the case of that game, I felt like it was supposed to be just a completely different game with multiple players.

I got hold of my UK copy yesterday and have played for a few hours so far. This game is an absolute delight, every second spent playing I've had a smile plastered on my face. I've not been so happy playing a game for a very long time, it made me feel like a little kid again.

I really hope Nintendo's decision to postpone the European release and give Kirby's Epic Yarn some breathing space pays off, it would be a tragedy to see this bomb.

zigg said:
Nah, you're not odd. I liked Epic Yarn most out of EM, DKCR, and Other M too. The only fault I can honestly find with it is the train levels.

That's true, the train parts are a pain in the ass to control.

Top Bottom