• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby's Epic Yarn |OT| The Grass Feels Like...Pants

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Bending_Unit_22 said:
I don't regret buying the game since the art style alone was worth enjoying, but I can't see myself replaying it much except for co-op with lesser skilled players I know. I prefer difficulty beating levels to focusing on getting 100%. Even so, enjoyed the ride, can't wait to try co-op, and now the wait for DKCR begins.
It's Kirby. This series has never been about difficulty.

Jive Turkey said:
It's Kirby. This series has never been about difficulty.
It's also never been this easy, well at least as far as I recall and I've played most Kirby's (several recently).

Gilby said:
I seem to remember the old Kirby games being just as easy (and I was a child then). I remember there being a lot of enemies you could just float past.
I remember a lot of games being a lot easier as a child.

Gilby

Bending_Unit_22 said:
It's also never been this easy, well at least as far as I recall and I've played most Kirby's (several recently).

I seem to remember the old Kirby games being just as easy (and I was a child then). I remember there being a lot of enemies you could just float past.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Gilby said:
They weren't difficult, but it was still possible to die and there were definitely moments of challenge in there.

Foxix Von

So I finally got a chance to rent this. I only spent about a half hour or so last night, and went in playing it completely blind just thinking "Heyo, great a new kirby game!" and honestly?

I'm really, really disappointed in it. :lol

It's a good game, it's just not for the reasons I was expecting from a Kirby game. Sitting through the intro, and being told that Kirby can't vacuum up enemies anymore practically made me do a spit take. It's like taking away Samus' arm cannon or something, without that mechanic in play the game ceases to play or feel like what they're calling it.

I sort of feel like this is a massive missed opportunity to have a new super awesome IP.

zigg

Foxix said:
It's a good game, it's just not for the reasons I was expecting from a Kirby game. Sitting through the intro, and being told that Kirby can't vacuum up enemies anymore practically made me do a spit take. It's like taking away Samus' arm cannon or something, without that mechanic in play the game ceases to play or feel like what they're calling it.
Don't ever play the very first Kirby game ever, then. :D

But I do kind of agree that I would have liked to see what Fluff of Yarn turned out to be... Though nobody would've bought it.

farnham

Banned
Foxix said:
So I finally got a chance to rent this. I only spent about a half hour or so last night, and went in playing it completely blind just thinking "Heyo, great a new kirby game!" and honestly?

I'm really, really disappointed in it. :lol

I sort of feel like this is a massive missed opportunity to have a new super awesome IP.
so you have not played kirby canvas course ?

Foxix Von

zigg said:

But I do kind of agree that I would have liked to see what Fluff of Yarn turned out to be... Though nobody would've bought it.

*googles*

Oh wow, so it was supposed a separate game, I had no idea :lol . I knew some funny business was going on here... Yeah I would have definitely preferred that. Playing this just feels so off to me, and the fact that it is a Kirby title and I have these preconceptions about how it's supposed to play is actually hindering my ability to enjoy this. :(

And no, I never played the first gameboy game. However going from the game boy to Kirby's Adventure I take it they didn't remove any mechanics did they? I assume they just built on top of the platforming and established gameplay of the first title.

If I ever find a copy I'd probably like it.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Bending_Unit_22 said:
Other than not being able to die it isn't any easier than other games in the series. I know that sounds goofy but then in elminating "lives" they made the incentive to not get hit tie into your score. A couple of the later levels while not hard can be a little tricky to score gold.

Teknoman

zigg said:

Why not? You could inhale and use other enemies powers there too...at least from what I remember.

EDIT: Or was he just able to inhale stuff and spit it back at enemies?

Doorman

Teknoman said:
Why not? You could inhale and use other enemies powers there too...at least from what I remember.

EDIT: Or was he just able to inhale stuff and spit it back at enemies?
Correct on the edit. Copy powers weren't implemented until Kirby's Adventure, which might still be my favorite game in the series.

I find it so odd how not-bugged I am about the supposedly "non-Kirby" elements of this...the balling-up mechanic basically works the same as the inhale-spit of the previous games anyway, and there are a few enemy types whose yarn-balls will demonstrate other effects akin to the copy powers, like the arrowhead, fireball, bomb, and homing attacks. Would people have felt better about this game if there were more of those special throw-attack types? They could have used them for more puzzle-platforming sort of stuff I suppose? I said it before, but there are some great core concepts in the game that just should have been taken a little bit farther.

Besides, Kirby's already been exposed to nontraditional art styles with the colored-pencil motif in Dreamland 3, and even the world-transformation aspects from Canvas Curse. Personally I feel that Epic Yarn fits right in with the rest of the Kirby universe along those lines.

I adore this game and all, but I was about ready to pull my hair out trying to get Gold on
Frigid Fjords
. I would constantly boost into one of the other racers and lose all my gems, or they would be right in front of a star gem that I needed and I'd have to miss it.

Brother and I beat the game today, but we still have a few Gold Medals and items to get, that and the last two secret stages to play.

This is definitely a game which benefits from cooperative play. People playing alone will either breeze through the game a lot more or find the experience more repetitive as a result.

Clearly if you go into this game saying it is any other Kirby game, you might be disappointed because he has no powerups other than the transformations. If you can look away from that, the game becomes very delightful all the way through.

The last two worlds definitely improve on the difficulty, especially if you want to get Golds. Not having to worry about death made the game very relaxing and accessible, but needing beads to get higher medals makes the game difficult in a different way.

The bosses were all very unique, more or less. The music is delightful to hear if a little too calm occasionally. The graphics are solid all the way through, and the environments are constantly changing.

I think it was definitely a great game. Lots of levels and variety, with plenty of atmosphere to offer. No death does not mean no challenge. Those playing it alone might not necessarily enjoy it as much as playing it cooperatively, though.

Mofobolous

Neo Member
I finally beat the game at 100 percent (the first game I've done this since Muramasa). I thought it was decent with some creative stages, but I was dissapointed that ther was not an option for an increased difficulty given the fact that you ca not die, but I enjoyed the game nonetheless. Now I am ready for DKC:R.

I played a little bit of this in best buy earlier today....did not like it. I would have prefered they made a kirby 64 sequel...I want to combine my powers, not this yarn stuff. I guess i need to spend more time on it for its charm to overwhelm me

Well I just beat the main story and beat all the levels.

I think I got Gold medals on most the levels save for a few. Definitely didn't collect all of the items in every level though. c.c

Can't wait for the next Kirby game! :D

My GOD...
Played it yesterday with my girlfriend...

What a blast! Great game for CoOp and chill with a non gamer.
I know I know... is the easiest game ever. But it's fun to play with someone, the game keeps throwing you new gameplay things like the transformations and stuff. The visual and aesthetic design is superb. And the music... oh my god the music:

Anywho, I knew I would like this game... I never knew I would like it this much. And the music took me by surprise.

deleted

I played it yesterday with a friend.
What an amazing game it is. A visual masterpiece and it controls quite well too. Like a more relaxed Mario Bros Wii.

I felt myself reminded of Yoshi's Island quite often, the transformations felt similar for a reason. I could't help myself and think that it started out as a yoshi game before it was changed to kirby.

Metal B

xyla said:
I felt myself reminded of Yoshi's Island quite often, the transformations felt similar for a reason. I could't help myself and think that it started out as a yoshi game before it was changed to kirby.
Your right with the part, that it was not a Kirby game to begin with =)

deleted

Metal B said:
Your right with the part, that it was not a Kirby game to begin with =)

What was it before? Mario? New IP?

I hope the game does good enough to get a sequel. But I still want my 4 player Kirby that started on the cube. I know its still out there :(

Sagitario

xyla said:
What was it before? Mario? New IP?

I hope the game does good enough to get a sequel. But I still want my 4 player Kirby that started on the cube. I know its still out there :(

I want a YI sequel made by Good-Feel... the DS game game, while not a bad game, has too many flaws.

Rafaelcsa

Sagitario said:
I want a YI sequel made by Good-Feel... the DS game game, while not a bad game, has too many flaws.

That's exactly what I was thinking a few days ago! The Yoshi series is the only 2D platforming series Nintendo hasn't brought to the Wii yet, right? We have Mario, Kirby, DK and Wario already. Wouldn't it be great if next year Nintendo announces a new Yoshi's Island for Wii and thus continues the console's 2D platforming revival!?

YI also seems to be a good fit for Good Feel's style, with the extra challenges/treasures to find per level and the character transformations. We'd have a(nother) winner! :D

Hiltz

The snow levels are probably my favorite. The music feels like Christmas time.

The only bad thing about the gamplay are the crappy train transformation controls due to the oversensitive IR pointer.

The game's concept is great and all but I felt as if it could have done more. It has potential like Mario Galaxy did to spawn an even more creative sequel.

The pulling off zippers was fun but they rarely make an appearance. Fortunately, stuff like the magician boss were creative and unique.

Swordian

Rafaelcsa said:
YI also seems to be a good fit for Good Feel's style, with the extra challenges/treasures to find per level and the character transformations. We'd have a(nother) winner! :D

No way. Good Feel can make some awesome graphics, but somebody else needs to make an awesome game for those graphics. They made a better game this time than they did with Wario, but I wouldn't trust them to make a good Yoshi's Island at this point.

d+pad

*Finally* picked this up (actually, I received it as a b-day gift) and, man, is it cute. And charming! ;)

I've only played through the first world and part of the second so far, but I'm already completely smitten. Also, while the game is *very* easy, it isn't ruining the experience for me -- at least, not yet.

Oh, and I have to say that I love all of the transformations I've seen so far!

Sagitario

Swordian said:
No way. Good Feel can make some awesome graphics, but somebody else needs to make an awesome game for those graphics. They made a better game this time than they did with Wario, but I wouldn't trust them to make a good Yoshi's Island at this point.

It wouldn't be worse than YI DS, of that I'm sure.
Also, Wario Land SI is a really good game (I would say it's better than Kirby by default because of the difficulty alone)... did you try to go for the medals?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I played through most of Kirby on Dolphin the Wii emu and here are the 720p screen grabs I took from it, if anyone is curious (they were rather popular in the Dolphin thread as the game looks pretty damn nice in HD):

Mediafire

Nabs

Swordian said:

Agreed. Yoshi's Island needs to be handled internally. Give it the love DKC recieved.

No disrespect to Good Feel, but there's a big difference in platformers. I just don't think they can pull it off.

Sadly, I don't see Nintendo bothering with Yoshi's Island. I could see them getting Good Feel to make a Yoshi's Story game similar to Epic Yarn.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This game is absolutely fantastic. I can't believe more people aren't talking about it.

Anth0ny

Finally picked it up, already at world 5 after a couple of hours :lol

Ridiculously easy, but then again, I didn't expect difficulty from a Kirby game. The visuals are fantastic (I really want to play this on Dolphin) and I love the music.

So far, it's nice, but nothing too special.

Neiteio

I watched footage of people playing co-op in the snow levels on YouTube. I had a big goofy grin on my face the whole time. It looks like pure magic to me. :)

I'm getting this along with DKCR for Christmas. I've been playing mostly PS3 lately, but as a life-long Nintendo fan, and one with a soft spot for platformers, I think this Christmas will make for some great gaming. :)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Man, this game.

You might not be able to die, but every time I get hit and have to scramble to get gems it's such a "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" moment, much more thrilling than the traditional death. When star gems drop down gaps I feel like I did when I lost a loyal group of Pikmin.

I really adore this game. The presentation is just outstanding in a way I wasn't expecting. The god damn fabric droops when you stand on it. Damn.

bigpumbaa

The more I play this game the more I love it. So damn charming.

Also impressed with the fact that they didn't just do yarn versions of typical platforming levels.

It would've been awesome just to see the tropes yarned up... but I wasn't expecting a dinosaur world or a day/night beach world.

I love the surprise of it all.

Rez said:
You might not be able to die, but every time I get hit and have to scramble to get gems it's such a "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" moment, much more thrilling than the traditional death. When star gems drop down gaps I feel like I did when I lost a loyal group of Pikmin.

It's even worse when it's a boss fight and you're trying to get enough beads for the extra world patch. "MOTHERFU--sorry, kids, daddy just hates it when the octopus hits him BECAUSE THESE GOD DAMN CONTROLS--sorry, girls."

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
JetBlackPanda said:
quick question: can you play this game with the nunchuck? ala NSMBWii and DKCR?

thanks

single mote only, brutha

it's has gestures like titling that work similar to Wario Land: Shake It, so it has to be held horizontally .

Seda

Apparantly, some of the dialogue/terminology is changing for the PAL version (that may account for the delay after the NA release)

Nintendo's announcement gave us some clues on localized terms for the game. While the title is still Kirby's Epic Yarn, the Prince and Kirby will be collecting strands of "magic thread" to sew Patch Land together, rather than magic yarn. Kirby is said to be made of wool, but uses a yarn whip to roll enemies into balls of yarn. The apartments where their friends congregate are called the "new flats near Prince Fluff's castle." It is yet to be seen how the below term will be translated for UK English.

Top Bottom