• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby's Epic Yarn |OT| The Grass Feels Like...Pants

zigg

upandaway said:
Anyway here's the incredible thing about though and why it's worth the money for me: My 9-year old sister can play this game. It's been hell for me to keep her quiet with games like Mario where she can at most beat the first 2 levels, then give up. Even with other Kirbys, she doesn't get the swallowing mechanic and she hates flying.

The game's actually the perfect difficulty for her. She's quiet. It's so nice.

My 8-year-old daughter is pretty good anyway, but yeah, she can handle it very well.

What's really mind-blowing is that my 3-year-old son can progress in the early worlds as well. (Even to the point of yelling at me for holding him up)

Gilby

I just finished Wario: Shake it right after playing through Kirby. I should have left more time in between, the whole time I kept thinking "I want to finish this so I can get back to kirby". I still need to beat a couple of the roommate challenges.

Finally caved in and bought it at Best Buy since I had a $15 gift card. Got tired of losing all those Ebay auctions trying to get it for cheap.

I hope I enjoy it...>_>;

This game has some frustrating design choices that make co-op with an inexperienced player a lot more frustrating than it should have been.

Making players solid is an interesting idea, but ultimately we ended up running into each other far too many times. Or she'd knock me off a platform when she spawned, completely by accident. Or we'd go to jump and one of us would make it but the other would collide with the first and fall off.

The camera is also really zoomed in. You don't notice it that much until there's two people and the camera doesn't zoom out that much. This creates an invisible wall that is very frustrating, especially for vertical levels.

Finally, having both players tied to the same bead pool ends up causing a problem if one of them keeps getting hit. My girlfriend felt awful every time she got hit, because I was almost always the one getting all the beads and she was the one who kept losing all of them. I wish she could only lose the ones she earned so she wouldn't feel so guilty!

Anyways, as a game KEY is really amazing. I find the music to be really poor and generic, but the "feel" of the game is completely without rival. I strangely find myself wishing this wasn't a Kirby game, if only because the world is interesting enough to explore on its own. The Kirby stuff, like Waddle Dees and the like, feel really out of place in comparison.

Though the platforming isn't hard in the traditional sense, it is unlike previous Kirby games in that there are far fewer safety nets. You can't fly indefinitely, or find cheap power and use it to plow through levels. Chances are, if you miss a jump you have to simply do it all over again - even modern Marios have walljumping which you can use to recover a failed jump. I enjoy this challenge for some reason, as it makes the game feel older than it is.

All in all, really enjoying it.

Beat Epic Yarn earlier today, my total play time was just under ten hours, I think my completion rate was 75% and I played the game entirely single player. Like the few other Kirby games I have played Kirby's Epic Yarn was not a particularly demanding but enjoyable experience.

The presentation and overall aesthetic is pretty inventive and I think they got a lot of mileage out of it, from the transformations that occur to the overworld as you progress to all of the inventive transformations Kirby himself can under-go in a given level. I particularly enjoyed the
vertical and horizontal shooter
sections and was kind of disappointed that there weren't more of them in the game. Initially I was getting all of the knick-knacks, gold medals, and unlocking all of the extra levels by doing well against the bosses, but by the seventh world I just started to fly through the levels not really concerning myself with making sure I got everything. I may go back at some point to collect the few medals and/or items I did miss, but I doubt I'll ever complete the apartment mini-games given that the rewards--wallpapers for your apartment in Patch Land--don't really seem worth the investment of time based off of the few I played.

Enjoyable game but this probably would've been better suited as a rental instead of a purchase.

Ok this game is like extended vacation. I love how easy it is, it allows to me stop caring about enemies and obstacles and just embrace myself on the pure wonder of the design and the world they created.

I only miss the old Kirby music, though the soundtrack is relaxing as well. Damn Kirby, you're the best thing ever.

Teknoman

I like the remixed classic Kirby tracks and a few of the new tracks do stand out. The same happened during Wario Land Shake it ( mostly ok soundtrack with a few great tracks that stood out from the rest).

Ocho

A friend bought the game and everytime he tries loading the game on his Wii (non-hacked, never), it boots him back to the wii menu.

Wii has the latest update. Game worked fine in another friend's Wii (it installed something, tho). Other games work.

Any idea what's happening?

Rafaelcsa

I just beat the game. I throughly enjoyed it and I'd put it in the second tier of Wii's best games. I do have to say that the last 2 worlds
Space Land and Dream Land
are noticeably better that what came before. If the whole game was closer in quality to those 2 last worlds, it'd sit alongside my very favorite Wii games, no doubts about it. Wario Land Shake It is up there to me, I loved it to death. Shake It is a more compelling game, more challeging and has a better soundtrack (one of my favorites of this generation). That said, I still have almost all secret levels to play in KEY, so maybe that will change my mind. Shake It's secret levels were awesome.

Kirby's Adventure, Super Star and Canvas Curse remain better Kirby games, but KEY is still great. Fantastic series.

By the way, am I the only who doesn't find older Kirby games to be that easy? I've died plentful of times in Kirby's Adventure and Super Star. Canvas Curse got pretty damn hard nearing the end. I mean, I'm not saying Kirby games are Ninja Gaiden or bullet-hell shmup levels of hard or anything. I'm just saying that I scratch my head when people reference all the time how piss-easy they are. I don't think I'm that terrible of a gamer either; I've beaten my share of harder than average games like Life Force, Castlevania 3, Mega Man 9, Metroid 1, etc, and I still die at times in Kirby games. How come everyone find them to be that easy? :lol

Kirby's Epic Yarn is one game that I'd agree with the feeling of piss-easy, though.

Rafaelcsa said:
I just beat the game. I throughly enjoyed it and I'd put it in the second tier of Wii's best games. I do have to say that the last 2 worlds
Space Land and Dream Land
are noticeably better that what came before. If the whole game was closer in quality to those 2 last worlds, it'd sit alongside my very favorite Wii games, no doubts about it. Wario Land Shake It is up there to me, I loved it to death. Shake It is a more compelling game, more challeging and has a better soundtrack (one of my favorites of this generation). That said, I still have almost all secret levels to play in KEY, so maybe that will change my mind. Shake It's secret levels were awesome.

Kirby's Adventure, Super Star and Canvas Curse remain better Kirby games, but KEY is still great. Fantastic series.

By the way, am I the only who doesn't find older Kirby games to be that easy? I've died plentful of times in Kirby's Adventure and Super Star. Canvas Curse got pretty damn hard nearing the end. I mean, I'm not saying Kirby games are Ninja Gaiden or bullet-hell shmup levels of hard or anything. I'm just saying that I scratch my head when people reference all the time how piss-easy they are. I don't think I'm that terrible of a gamer either; I've beaten my share of harder than average games like Life Force, Castlevania 3, Mega Man 9, Metroid 1, etc, and I still die at times in Kirby games. How come everyone find them to be that easy? :lol

Kirby's Epic Yarn is one game that I'd agree with the feeling of piss-easy, though.
Yeah I kind of agree with you there, I've never found the Kirby games before Epic Yarn to be any easier than the average 2D Mario or Sonic game . Some of the boss fights can be tough and they occasionally throw enemies and stuff at you that can be tough to avoid if you don't know it's coming, like the rock enemies dropping onto you from above for example. BTW don't expect KEY's bonus levels to approach the quality of the bonus levels (or hell, any level for that matter) in Wario Land Shake, they're mostly just transformation levels and don't really have anything more challenging or clever than what you see in KEY's normal levels.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Finishing up the apartment challenges... Just have to do the racing to the finish one, and I'll have 100%ed the game. Unless there's more after doing the challenges?

A few treasures/medals were a bit tough to get:

Car racing level in the Snow Land. Needed to do everything perfectly for the gold.

Dedede's castle treasure 3, where you needed to defeat all the bomb enemies, if you made the slightest screw-up you had to restart the stage.

And some of the bead collection challenges were tough, taking me quite a few tries.

Finished the game co-opping with my girlfriend and it was a lot of fun. It was the perfect difficulty for her and was a good difficulty for me trying to get all the treasures and help her along.

It's gotten her really interested in co-op games, so we might be giving DKCR a run-through when it comes out.

AniHawk

this is the perfect thing to play after Super Meat Boy. I wasn't sure it was up my alley until I played Mole Hole. Little Nemo ftw

upandaway

Man, the ball transport minigame is so much easier in co-op. We took shortcuts all over the place. In one level, we reached the end in 5 seconds when they gave us one minute.

And that's neat because I don't like these minigames enough to try and do them "normally". It's more fun to just try and be as fast as possible.

zigg

Chris1964 said:
There is a new Kirby for DS.

I so very much need to know how the hell this game plays. It's going to drive me crazy right up to the day NOA refuses to publish it. ("Nobody's buying 3DS games anymore, Epic Yarn didn't meet our expectations, etc.")

Yes Boss!

I'm at 94% and finished everything except the little mini-games. Seems like I need about 95 wallpapers for 100% which makes about twenty-five of each mini-game. Gonna slog through them.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Yes Boss! said:
I'm at 94% and finished everything except the little mini-games. Seems like I need about 95 wallpapers for 100% which makes about twenty-five of each mini-game. Gonna slog through them.

Its weird, it seems like there are different numbers of levels for each of the minigames:

Hide and Seek dude - 18 levels
Beadrix - 20 levels
Carrie - 12 levels
Kill the monsters dude - 20 levels

I'm up to stage 20 or so on the final one (the race minigame)... think I have a few more levels to go then I'm gonna 100. I'm at like 98% now.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
HAL says they're working on a kirby still in that Iwata Asks.

However: there's a brief snippit of a HAL-developed DS Kirby game in a recent compilation trailer.

Thus: no such conclusion can be drawn.

Yes Boss! said:

Did you buy all the wallpapers from the shop?

Yes Boss!

Fimbulvetr said:
Did you buy all the wallpapers from the shop?
Oh yeah, cleaned out the shop of everything.

I think I misses some of those "come and play" prompts. Hopefully that won't give me some grief on the last few scrolls.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
We got this last night and I played through the first two worlds in co-op. Well, I can see what qualities about the game would disappoint some folks, because those elements are not for everyone in platformers. But so far, I'm entirely happy with it. There is a difference in my mind between a game that's boring and easy, and a game that's engaging and easy. Epic Yarn falls into the latter category. Plus, I've always been down with games that are easy to play through once, but hard to master; I don't tend to play games for a quick fix and then shelve them.

And I can say that, while the first world is quite easy to get gold medals on (but we haven't unlocked the secret levels yet), by the end of the second world the stage designs get far harder to make it through without a bad score.

Thing is, this reminds me precisely of Goodfeel's Wario game. Shake It! is not hard at all - for minimum completion. You can cruise through most of the base stages and bosses except for a few tricky parts. But the challenges and especially the later secret stages are much harder.

In terms of design and production values, well, the game is off the hook. Best unique visual aesthetic and art direction I've seen since The Wind Waker. Their animation systems for the string constructs are frankly amazing. And like Wario, it /feels/ fantastic. The play is incredibly fluid and solid, and the whip mechanic is one of the best feeling whip systems in a platformer.

Boss designs and animation, difficulty aside, are fantastic.

The guys at Goodfeel seem to be genuine masters of the platforming genre. There is an old school Japanese craftsmanship in their games that you have to invoke the sacred name of Yoshi's Island to exceed. It's just that so far, they haven't been asked to make a platformer aimed purely at the hardcore platforming enthusiast in terms of difficulty gates required to proceed through the core game.

Oh yeah, and I continue to love the music of their composer. His acoustic and jazzy style is a big (and nice) change of pace.

Yes Boss!

Can anybody clue me in on how to beat Beadtrix's challeng 4?

Spent about 45 minutes on it and I'm just nit getting it. Can only get 205 beads and I need 250.

11kw76g.png

Nabs

Yes Boss! said:
Can anybody clue me in on how to beat Beadtrix's challeng 4?

Spent about 45 minutes on it and I'm just nit getting it. Can only get 205 beads and I need 250.

if its the one i'm thinking of: just tap the grab button and they'll burst into jewels. it took me a really long time to figure that out.

Pandemic

I couldn't seem to find the reason online, so I'll ask here.

Is there any reason to why the EU/AU version of Kirby's Epic Yarn was delayed until 2011....

Yes Boss!

Nabs said:
if its the one i'm thinking of: just tap the grab button and they'll burst into jewels. it took me a really long time to figure that out.
God, I feel so stupid. Kept grabing them and twirling them up or butt-smashing them. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: got 100% awesome little game. I logged just about 29 hours which puts it at a few more hours than Wario Shake.

ba029f02.jpg

jamesinclair said:
Anyone who thinks this game is too easy clearly hasnt played the last 2 worlds

I played the entire game, getting gold on all stages and all treasures. The last two worlds were not very much harder than the first 2. The end boss was no harder than the first boss. The game does not have a ramp up in difficulty at all, it just has a couple anomalous stages like frigid fjords that are a bit tricky to perfect.

Pandemic said:
I couldn't seem to find the reason online, so I'll ask here.

Is there any reason to why the EU/AU version of Kirby's Epic Yarn was delayed until 2011....

Because they hate you. I think Super Star Ultra took almost a year to come there right? :s

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
karby said:
Does anything happen for completing 100% of the game?
Nope, nothing. I was pretty annoyed, the fabric/furniture is a totally useless unlock. I wouldn't have wasted my time on the minigames or treasures if I knew.

farnham

Banned
Yes Boss! said:
God, I feel so stupid. Kept grabing them and twirling them up or butt-smashing them. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: got 100% awesome little game. I logged just about 29 hours which puts it at a few more hours than Wario Shake.

ba029f02.jpg
holy shit you played a lot of wii fit.

and excite bots :D :D :D

I don't regret buying the game since the art style alone was worth enjoying, but I can't see myself replaying it much except for co-op with lesser skilled players I know. I prefer difficulty beating levels to focusing on getting 100%. Even so, enjoyed the ride, can't wait to try co-op, and now the wait for DKCR begins.

Top Bottom