• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby's Epic Yarn |OT| The Grass Feels Like...Pants

Taker666

Azure Phoenix said:
I got hold of my UK copy yesterday and have played for a few hours so far. This game is an absolute delight, every second spent playing I've had a smile plastered on my face. I've not been so happy playing a game for a very long time, it made me feel like a little kid again.

I really hope Nintendo's decision to postpone the European release and give Kirby's Epic Yarn some breathing space pays off, it would be a tragedy to see this bomb.

It will bomb. I had no idea Epic Yarn was out in the UK this week..until looking at this thread.

Nintendo really seems to have pulled back on marketing in the UK recently..and the quality of their ads has diminished as well (of course the lack of coverage from gaming sites in regards to all things Nintendo doesn't help).

It'll be lucky to make top 40.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Oh and AWDOR/AWDC is not the only example, almost every game these days have small to large changes in their localisation from NOE, even when they are working from NOA's English script. Spirit Tracks had large changes in dialogue (as well as character and place names) but was clearly based off the original NOA Treehouse script. Metroid Prime 3 also had a couple of small changes (One that's a bit of a meme in my household is the US "Nunchuck is Required" line being changed to "You need the Nunchuck to play this game")

One other change that really grates at me is when they changed Luke's voice in Prof Layton & Pandora's Box. The first game had the same voice as the US version but for some god knows what reason they changed it in the second game and managed to make it sound utterly awful! (not that the US voice was great but at least it was bearable!)
Sad thing is I would have noticed the other significant localisation changes if I actually played those gamesgames (or remembered the Spirits Tracks official thread) rather than being a tpyical GAF member...they're on my backlog
and will stay there for years while I complain about Layton 4 being delayed or whatever

Taker666 said:
It will bomb. I had no idea Epic Yarn was out in the UK this week..until looking at this thread.

Nintendo really seems to have pulled back on marketing in the UK recently..and the quality of their ads has diminished as well (of course the lack of coverage from gaming sites in regards to all things Nintendo doesn't help).
I almost want it to bomb to teach Nintendo a lesson. Sadly the lesson they will learn is "Oh we were right, nobody does care about Kirby". So in this case I have to hope for a marketing miracle or at least it outselling Other M (which only sells these days for being £10...). I know they held it back for tactical reasons but I'm worried the tactics will backfire (some people might be discouraged by the US impressions).

As for pulling back on marketing. You did notice Mario vs. DK is selling for the first time precisely due to being heaily advetised. They even delayed Mairo Sports Mix for a week just so they could effectively double the marketing (the end of each of the TV spots shows the other game).

But part of the pullback in marketing is required. The 3DS launch (all the marketing muscle behind that including the tours must really chew into their budget) might mean some games get low priority (like Kirby).

Back to Elephant and Castle. Hopefully the people making the woolen stuff (Knit the City) will post pictures on thier blog in the coming days or someone somewhere will actually take pictures. It seems a number of places have decided to report it now but not post pics.

sugarless

The UK version of the narration is simply perfect. Very reminiscent of old UK kids' TV shows from the '70s and '80s. It's sure to give UK gamers (at least, those beyond their teens) a warm, fuzzy feeling!

Oxx

Oh wow. Even though I actually posted in this thread I didn't realise this was imminent.

I might see how much it is in Tesco. I really shouldn't bite given how many DS games I have somewhere in the postal system.

jarosh

this game has absolutely incredible sound design. holy fuck. everything sounds right and all the effects are of such high quality, sharp and clean and warm, perfectly eq'd and compressed. and the music is just sooo amazing and charming and perfect. i'm only in the second world but it's hard for me not to love everything about the game. it might be ridiculously easy (although getting all gold medals and treasures definitely isn't), but it's so much fun, controls really well, has lots of really unique gameplay gimmicks, looks drop dead gorgeous and just has bucket loads of charm. shame i only got around to playing it now.

also: the british narrator is a hundred times better and more fitting than the american one.

jarosh said:
this game has absolutely incredible sound design. holy fuck. everything sounds right and all the effects are of such high quality, sharp and clean and warm, perfectly eq'd and compressed. and the music is just sooo amazing and charming and perfect. i'm only in the second world but it's hard for me not to love everything about the game. it might be ridiculously easy (although getting all gold medals and treasures definitely isn't), but it's so much fun, controls really well, has lots of really unique gameplay gimmicks, looks drop dead gorgeous and just has bucket loads of charm. shame i only got around to playing it now.

also: the british narrator is a hundred times better and more fitting than the american one.

I certainly feel that the game was more about the journey than the destination.

Watching each level unfold was great, and playing cooperatively was equally delightful.

Yeah, maybe a difficulty choice would have been good (Want HP? Y/N), but the presentation of the game is exceptional, regardless of the easy game.

Glad its sales turned out okay.

jarosh

just got done. we played for about 9 hours and unlocked most, but not all of the treasure, but all the extra levels. played from start to finish in co-op.

what an amazing game! i had fairly low expectations going in and i'm just blown away by the polish and the overall quality of almost every aspect of it. it's just full of such an abundance of great ideas, both in gameplay and presentation. i'd say this is the most gorgeous and beautiful looking game i've played in years. it's got such a unique vision, executed with so much care and attention to detail. it really takes the yarn and patch and stitches concept and rolls with it, never once compromises and always finds unique applications and surprising and charming ways to put an original, often unexpected spin on the tiniest of details.

i can't say i'm bothered by the fact that you can't die. the game is very clearly designed around collecting beads and getting gold medals and finding all the treasure. losing all the beads when getting hit is a sufficient punishment in this context. unlike in something like wario land shake-it, it's an integral part of the game from the very beginning. and the game is not designed around forcing you to replay levels. you can get gold medals and all the treasure on your first try if you put a bit of effort into it. that always bothered me in wario: you HAD to replay many levels to complete different challenges and find all the treasure. they all couldn't be completed in the same playthrough. i think that's a major design flaw. i'm glad kirby sidesteps this and at the same time more tightly knits the necessity of getting a high rank into the core of the game.

overall, yes, it's an easy game. some parts are considerably harder in co-op, others a little easier (some of the transformation parts). i'm not ready to call it a "relaxing" game, as some have, and claim that this is the game's main draw. i'm a big proponent of challenging games and one of my most treasured game series is classic mega man, yet i still found epic yarn to be immensely fun and fulfilling. why? let's not kid ourselves: there is skill involved in getting the highest rank in every level and finding all the treasure, and if none was needed at all, i probably wouldn't have found any of it compelling. this isn't an automated experience or a brain-dead button-mashing affair. you are still maneuvering a character through a level, you're still avoiding obstacles, killing and dodging and using enemies, exploring nooks and crannies, finding secrets and learning a large variety of (very fun) transformation gimmicks. and the game just does an excellent job of making the path through all the different levels interesting and fun. this isn't comparable to something like bayonetta's inane casual mode. on top of it, epic yarn has a large variety of neat gameplay ideas and the incredible presentation adds an important layer that helps to keep you interested in them and the world in general - it really makes you want to discover everything any given level has to offer.

i haven't mentioned the music yet, but man, how fucking fantastic is it? easily one of my favorite soundtracks of the whole decade. besides the high production values, there is the really clever instrumentation and the great, often minimalistic acoustic interpretations of classic kirby tracks. it fits like a glove with the unique visual presentation and it's equally as charming and to the point. just perfect. it's hard to pull off so much saccharine and whimsy, but tomoya tomita consistently and successfully subverts the kitsch with his often jazzy, often minimalistic but always unique spin (sometimes this involves an unexpected ukulele or a funky, filtered drumbeat...). ok, ok, there are a few stinkers in there, a few tracks that are straightforwardly cheesy and not jazzy or upbeat or original in any way. but the majority of the music is brilliant. the sound design is just as good: the effects sound crisp, sharp, fresh, varied and perfectly balanced and they have the necessary oomph when they need to.

if i'd played it last year, if it didn't come out so late in europe, it would have been high up in my top ten list. that said, i'll be sure to vote it into my goty list this year. and i'm gonna keep an eye on good-feel, despite the more uneven and somewhat forgettable wario land shake-it. they definitely have my attention now.

jarosh

i realize this thread is pretty much dead and obviously no one cares about yet another guy's wordy opinion. but before i call it quits i'd still like to highlight some of the fantastic music in this game...

so here are some of my favorites:

Butter Building / Tempest Tower:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTZ8uhJ5hIE
^ possibly the best track in the game. an amazing take on the familiar kirby theme. great piano variations and improvisation and really really funky and fitting bass guitar.

Dusk Dunes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XutRzGzXEIA

Flower Fields:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZikp2gbZwo
^ this is essentially the title theme fully realized with several variations and bridges. a beautiful and mellow solo piano track.

Patch Castle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa8wxu6L_qk
^ another subdued little piano solo. short but sweet.

VS. Fangora:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnDpiiWXVlM
^ a great and fast paced boss theme that't also uplifting and doesn't sound grim or menacing. there's not many of those.

Weird Woods:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyhGXybTsnM

Splash Beach:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsWjhSPGssQ
^ there's room for this too. a simple, relaxing acoustic guitar track that sounds like it was written and performed by japanase guitar duo gontiti.

Secret Island:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yidHQDRxKZo

Tube Town:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3-OcvByonY
^ another take on that by now familiar leitmotif. this time in the form of an electronic, chiptuney synth track.

Outer Rings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZZahUFVnYU
^ ridiculously upbeat, maybe a bit too cheesy. and those wide piano chords again... but so much fun to listen to. and again, brilliantly incorporates the leitmotif.

Whispy Forest:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VtLIyep9iA
^ a brilliant take on the familiar kirby theme. let's see, we got piano, xylophone, harmonica, a delightfully cheery recorder, maybe even a pan flute? yes, this is kirby done right.

Gourmet Race:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2VQyIS2xx0
^ another kirby theme brilliantly realized.

Ice Cream Island:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAK1vntPNnc
^ yep. ice cream island with ukulele, steel drums, xylophone and guitar.

The Halberd:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZwy7H6hl3g

Staff Roll:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IklK7hfeeyY

ravien56

A buddy of mine has this game, we played a bit of co-op yesterday. Holy shit, this game is good. Gonna pick up a copy myself.

Masked Man

I said wow
jarosh said:
Butter Building / Tempest Tower:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTZ8uhJ5hIE
^ possibly the best track in the game. an amazing take on the familiar kirby theme. great piano variations and improvisation and really really funky and fitting bass guitar.

I couldn't agree more! Every time I think of this game, this incredible musical reinterpretation immediately pops into my mind and plays on repeat. Although the game's construction is rather simplistic, the aesthetic is charming and inspired, and--as you pointed out--the soundtrack is nothing short of fantastic. <3

I'm starting to wonder if I returned this game too soon. So many glowing impressions from so many people, yet I couldn't get into this Kirby at all. Seemed a bit too simple and (dare I say) childish to me. Maybe I was having a bad day when I played it, but I didn't care for it at all. But I'm starting to think I should give it another try.

NEO0MJ

jarosh said:
ok, ok, there are a few stinkers in there, a few tracks that are straightforwardly cheesy and not jazzy or upbeat or original in any way. but the majority of the music is brilliant. the sound design is just as good: the effects sound crisp, sharp, fresh, varied and perfectly balanced and they have the necessary oomph when they need to.

I liked the Yin yarn theme, if that was one you meant =(

Masked Man

I said wow
Nabs said:
Outer Rings...

Why didn't you link to the piece? It's almost too catchy; it must be shared!
3AQmK.gif

totowhoa

Banned
Arrrgghh. I guess I'm going to pick this up. I just *finally* picked up a PS3 from a buddy who needed some cash so i wanted to give my other systems a break, but man... I keep wanting to at least try this game. Jarosh pretty much convinced me. Everything I hate about Wario he disliked, but he still enjoyed this game. I guess I'm going to give it a go. A local store has a rental service that allows you to buy the game if you really like it (and waives your rental fee if you decide to buy it), so I think I might try that.

jarosh

DidntKnowJack said:
Seemed a bit too simple and (dare I say) childish to me. Maybe I was having a bad day when I played it, but I didn't care for it at all. But I'm starting to think I should give it another try.
well, i wouldn't call it childish, but the aesthetic and story etc. are definitely in the vein of a children's book. that's very much the point and i don't think something that can't be appreciated through the eyes of an adult. i don't feel that there's anything wrong in admitting that many of the cutscenes put a smile on my face. it's difficult to pull off that unpretentious, effortless simplicity and innocence in storytelling and writing that reflects so beautifully that childlike and carefree but unbridled outlook that's so typical of children. a lot of children's stories get this wrong and lose themselves in needless complexities or heavy-handed, stern ideas of friendship and morals, romanticism and nostalgia that only an adult who doesn't remember much from his childhood could introduce into an innocent story aimed at children. i don't know who wrote the original story of kirby's epic yarn and who translated it, but it's executed with amazing charm and a great sensibility for the kind of story a child might enjoy. it's cute and clever and at times cheeky and seems to always use the right words for just the right things, all in a sharp and concise manner. whether it is for me or not (and i'm not ready to say it isn't), i can very much appreciate and admire the quality of the execution and be amused and entertained by how well it communicates its ideas.

Hiltz

Epic Yarn's soundtrack was truly pleasant to listen to. I wonder if Hal Labs upcoming Kirby title on the Wii will be able to offer such entertaining music.

The ice world tracks are my favorite such as Cozy Cabin and Snowy Fields. It's Christmas time!

PKrockin

I just got this with a Gamefly trial. So much fun. They really nailed the controls IMO; it feels like Mario 64 all over again where running and jumping around is fun by itself.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
We've owned this game since launch, but just now playing it. I'm glad we have another co-op platformer. Hooray!

Shoogoo

EvilMario said:
We've owned this game since launch, but just now playing it. I'm glad we have another co-op platformer. Hooray!

I started playing it today aswel.

I love it solo, but I hate the fact that in co-op you're bumping into each other all the time, it's so annoying and a lot of levels were not designed for that kind of gameplay either.

This game is fine for 1 casual gamer but once you decide to go co-op you better have 2 more experienced players.

I picked this up without knowing much about it aside from what I remember seeing from last year's E3, mainly since I'm visiting my brother's family next week and wanted a game for my 4 year old niece. I decided to open it up and give it a shot.

So I was kinda surprised that you couldn't die. After playing the brutally punishing DKCR this was almost the antithesis... an extremely chill relaxing platformer. I could almost feel my blood pressure decreasing while playing this game.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Picked it up during the Easter sale, and really enjoyed it. Like many have mentioned, it's a very relaxing, well made platformer.
Absolutely loved tilting the 'mote to put out fires/blast baddies.
No platformer fan should miss this.

Scoops

Banned
Love the creativity in this one. It's a bit short in easy, but still very enjoyable. One of my favorite games of last year.

It's the little things that impress me. The way the ground buckles beneath Kirby's feet, the bulges from whenever he's behind a wall, the realistically-moving yarn...

Every little detail is meticulously crafted to make it a living, breathing piece of artwork. It's fucking stunning.

Also, the Waddle Dees. I know they're fake, but I can't bring myself to kill them. They're so adorable! And they run away and cower in fear of UFO Kirby. Poor things. ;____;

Downhome

I just got this from Blockbuster in the B1G1 deal. I've only played a few levels, but I must say that so far it is one of the most satisfying, and relaxing, games I've ever experienced.

just wondering, i have had this game on my "to buy radar" for quite some time now... i notice that the price is NOT really decreasing on amazon etc. though!

there a reason for that? Will this EVER be really cheap? (talking EU here) or will it go rare? out of print?

if so i should probably bite the bullet and grab it right now for 30 bucks hmmm

NEO0MJ

Winnie the Pimp said:
just wondering, i have had this game on my "to buy radar" for quite some time now... i notice that the price is NOT really decreasing on amazon etc. though!

there a reason for that? Will this EVER be really cheap? (talking EU here) or will it go rare? out of print?

Nintendo games rarely become cheap. If you have a backlog though it might be worth waiting if there's a deal on it for the holidays.

CoolS

Winnie the Pimp said:

You want it to go even lower than 30 bucks?
I wouldn't count on it. Most Nintendo titles never really drop in price, and if this one has really gone down to 30 I'd say go for it. Chances are bigger for it to become rare and go up in price than the other way around.

Shiggy

Winnie the Pimp said:

Yeah, 30€ is the cheapest I've seen.

CoolS said:
You want it to go even lower than 30 bucks?
I wouldn't count on it. Most Nintendo titles never really drop in price, and if this one has really gone down to 30 I'd say go for it. Chances are bigger for it to become rare and go up in price than the other way around.

That's only true for successful titles, isn't it? I see games like Rhythm Paradise, Elite Beat Agents, Another Code R, Wario Ware DIY, ELLE a Table, or Face Training for 5-10€.

CoolS

Shiggy said:
That's only true for successful titles, isn't it? I see games like Rhythm Paradise, Elite Beat Agents, Another Code R, Wario Ware DIY, ELLE a Table, or Face Training for 5-10€.

Those are all DS titles though. There are very few Wii titles that are cheap, like Disaster, Another Code or Punchout but I would say that these are "smaller" games compared to Kirby.
I think Kirby is one of the bigger franchises for Nintendo and that's why it won't drop in price that much. Of course I could be wrong, but the game is definitely woth the 30€.

Edit: Just realized Another Code R is the Wii one but you know what I mean :)

it's not that they're not worth it to me it's just that i have a pile of like 60 AAA games that are ALL worth it you know? at some point money just DOES become a factor especially if you regularly buy as many games as i do :(

Shiggy

CoolS said:
Those are all DS titles though. There are very few Wii titles that are cheap, like Disaster, Another Code or Punchout but I would say that these are "smaller" games compared to Kirby.
I think Kirby is one of the bigger franchises for Nintendo and that's why it won't drop in price that much. Of course I could be wrong, but the game is definitely woth the 30€.

I think it's mostly the big Mario and Zelda games. Titles such as Metroid Other M, Super Smash Bros Brawl or even Mario Sports Mix had some nice price drops shortly after launch.

Edit: Just realized Another Code R is the Wii one but you know what I mean :)

I do, but it doesn't even matter anyway because you also listed Another Code as one of the cheaper Wii titles ;)

Top Bottom