• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby's Return to Dream Land |OT| 6+ Years in the Making

SxblX.png

Platform: Wii
Developer: HAL Laboratory, Inc.
Genre: Platformer
Players: up to 4-players, co-op

LPvML.png
YpwK5.jpg
argdk.jpg

Release Dates
Ctr7W.png
NA - October 24, 2011
brWju.png
JPN - October 27, 2011
alffq.png
EU - November 25, 2011

UuVJK.png
Story
Kirby and his friends are back in an all new adventure! When an alien spaceship crashes in the otherwise peaceful planet of Pop Star, it's pieces are scattered throughout the dream land. It's up to Kirby to retrieve the ship's parts and help the aliens return to their home planet. This time, however, he's not alone. Meta Knight, King Dedede and Waddle Dee can join in at anytime to help Kirby in his Adventure.

ous7M.png
Characters

Kirby - The main protagonist. He has the unique ability to copy the abilities of the enemies he eats.
Magolor - Pilots the Lor Starcutter, the alien space ship that crash-lands on Pop Star. Kirby is tasked with collecting the scattered pieces of his spaceship.
Meta Knight - Leader of an army of soldiers known as the Meta-Knights. Equipped with the Galaxia, Meta Knight is a fearsome warrior shrouded in mystery.
King Dedede - Self- Proclaimed King of Pop Star. With his giant mallet, this King is a force to be reckoned with. Good thing he's on Kirby's side.
Waddle Dee - Normally the pawns of King Dedede, this Waddle Dee is no laughing matter. With a spear in hand and signature bandana, this Waddle Dee is ready to take on all challenges.

uQ6FW.png
Controls
D-pad Move
A Button Guard
1 Button Inhale
1 Button + shake remote Super Inhale
2 Button Jump/Float
(-) Button Discard Copy Ability
Start Button (player 2, 3, 4) Join game

Pd3Te.png
Special Moves
Kirby's signature Copy Ability returns with many classic abilities as well as never before seen powers.
Beam Kirby
Bomb Kirby
Cutter Kirby
Fighter Kirby
Fire Kirby
Ice Kirby
Leaf Kirby
Ninja Kirby
Parasol Kirby
Spear Kirby
Stone Kirby
Sword Kirby
Water Kirby
Whip Kirby
and more...

ssSIh.png
All new Super Abilities

When Kirby inhales special enemy characters, he'll get an enhanced power such as
Ultra Sword, Monster Flame, and Flare Beam and more. For example, Ultra Sword allows Kirby to swing a giant sword and wipe out an entire screen's worth of foes.

cszG2.png
Multiplayer
The game features a drop-in cooperative multiplayer system, which allows up to three additional players to be added or removed at any time. The three other playable characters, each possessing his own set of abilities, are Meta Knight, King Dedede, and Waddle Dee, but multiple Kirby characters are also allowed. The players are able to ride on each other, and Kirby is the only character able to inhale the other characters and fire them at enemies.
A5uai.png
Screens

5yfLA.jpg

hfJu4.jpg

0n7JZ.png

qHF9x.png

qUrDw.png

NxaQs.png

1OEGG.jpg

yCA2H.jpg

Tfe9I.jpg

ztYlh.jpg

xqeP7.jpg

wg0cc.png
Trailers

Kirby's Return to Dreamland Gameplay Trailer
Kirby's Return To Dreamland - All Kirby Abilities
Kirby's Return To Dreamland - Intro
Kirby's Return to Dream Land - Multiplayer
Kirby's Return to Dream Land - Japan Commercial 1
Kirby's Return to Dream Land - Japan Commercial 2
Kirby's Return to Dream Land - Japan Commercial 3
Kirby's Return to Dream Land - Japan Commercial 4
Kirby's Return to Dream Land - Japan preview

tVNKG.png
Iwata Asks
Japanese
English

Iaekq.png
Reviews

Nintendo Power - 8.5/10
GameXplain - 3.5/5
Destructoid - 10/10
1up - B
IGN - 7.5
Nintendo World Report - 9
Game Informer - 8.5
Joystiq - 3.5/5
Gametrailers - 8.3/10
Cubed³ - 9/10

About time I found a new Wii game to play. And after having some fun playing Mass Attack, I'm ready for Return to Dreamland

Rarutos

Oh god, this snuck up on me. Forgot it was coming for a bit, but I'm so hyped! It's been too long since we got a new traditional Kirby game. <3

Chet Rippo said:
Release Dates
Ctr7W.png
NA - October 24, 2011
brWju.png
JPN - October 27, 2011
alffq.png
EU - November 25, 2011

HA HA! Love it!

I will have to put this one off till next month sadly. Man, November is going to be tough for me! I'll be getting Zelda SS, Mario 3D Land, Layton 4, Tetris 3DS, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, Kirby Mass Attack and Kirby's Return to Dreamland all in the same month! :D

Seik

Banned
Pre-ordered.

Can't wait to rock this one on Dolphin, if everything works fine.

For those who didn't tried, Epic Yarn is quite something too on Dolphin! :D

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Can't believe it is finally coming out, the date snuck up on me. Going to have to finish Layton 4's main story fast.

After Mass Attack, I have full faith in HAL still making a great game, even though it has been years since their last retail console game.

Really hope this works well in Dolphin.

isny

napkin dispenser
SUPER DESTROYMAN said:
I see that Kirby still has to remain angry in North America!

This, lol.

Seriously though, Epic Yarn was pretty fun, but I guess haters gotta hate.

Wonder if this will drop as quickly in price as Yarn did?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
SUPER DESTROYMAN said:
I wish this is what I saw but unfortunately thanks to the recent Sears thread all I can see is Dedede "drooling".

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Played this on the weekend, seemed to be a cookie cutter Kirby game.

And I love Kirby.

:/

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
ZoddGutts said:
Even more so than Yarn?

The art style kind of made it worse too. You know that clean clinical Kirby look.

Granted I only played single player...

Couldn't wait for the Euro release so had to preorder the US version. Really looking forward to this, been on a real Kirby kick since Epic Yarn, Mass Attack and Dream Land GB on 3DS VC.

VOOK said:
The art style kind of made it worse too. You know that clean clinical Kirby look.

Granted I only played single player...
The multiplayer is what's really got me excited for this game.

ampere

I might buy this, it has been too long since I played a home console Kirby game.

SUPER DESTROYMAN said:
First thing I thought when I saw the covers as well! Haha.

Jive Turkey said:
I wish this is what I saw but unfortunately thanks to the recent Sears thread all I can see is Dedede "drooling".
Oh dear, was a reminder of those products really necessary ~_~

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
At least the change to Angry Kirby isn't as arbitrary as in the past. They've used a piece of art where being angry looks appropriate rather just drawing the eyebrows over the Japanese box art.

The game looks like pretty standard Kirby fare but Mass Attack already tried something new and did it very well. I'm down for a more traditional entry.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
B-Genius said:
Same here! It's almost as if they noticed the laughs he was getting and deliberately cranked up the Kirby bad-assity to 11.

I just noticed the giant sword. Jesus.

PokéKong

This thread isn't cute enough yet.

tumblr_lt69ncsmdX1qbfxim.gif

Just look at dat MetaKnight, thinking he's too cool to wave happily like the rest of those embarrassing fools... but just can't help giving a courtesy sword waggle.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
6 years in the making?!

Who makes this game Square Enix? :p

cajunator

Banned
There wasn't a gamecube Kirby. It has been way too long since we've had a real Kirby game. This is probably the Kirby game that was stuck in development hell for a while.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah pretty much. I expect it to be easy, but a hell of a lot of fun and very, very colorful.
Basically, I expected a true Kirby game and Nintendo gave me one. I am satisfied.
As I said before, Gamecube should have gotten this game, but it looks beautiful here on the Wii.

Not a big fan of most Kirby games, but I'm really looking forward to this. I have a huge feeling I'm going to love this game a lot.

So glad it's coming out so soon. I knew it was coming this year, but didn't know it was now.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
cajunator said:
There wasn't a gamecube Kirby. It has been way too long since we've had a real Kirby game. This is probably the Kirby game that was stuck in development hell for a while.
Eh, comparing what we're getting to the old Gamecube footage I'd say we got a better deal :p

J@hranimo

Banned
Oh yeah! This is like...very soon. I'm just glad they have all kirby multiplayer in it. It's like Amazing Mirror except I can find people to play it with!

Top Bottom